Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Jul 2014, 21:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to Dual-Boot Puppy with Windows 7 Ultimate?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
mahaju

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug 2011, 22:27    Post subject:  How to Dual-Boot Puppy with Windows 7 Ultimate?
Subject description: Grub not an option?

Hi everyone

I just upgraded my computer and inserted my old SATA HDD from my P4 XP computer into it. I already have a frugal install of Puppy 5.1.1 in one of it's partitions. Now I want to be able to boot that installation of Puppy in my new computer

My problem is that this new computer has Windows 7 Ultimate installed on it and it doesn't seem to have boot.ini. I don't want to damage the current Windows MBR so I can't install GRUB or anything like that. Is there anyway I can dual boot my system with the old Puppy install, without changing anything in my Windows installation? Please help.

Thank you very much

PS: I have a 500 GB HDD in SATA port 1, which has 3 partitions C, D and E, of which C and D are formatted to NTFS and E is still unformatted

A DVD R/W drive on SATA port 3

The old disk on SATA port 2, with partitioned drives F, G, H, I and J, with J unformatted. The puppy installation is in drive H. Could you please help me with the Linux naming of these drives as well, to be entered in the menu.lst?

Thanks.
Very Happy

--EDIT--
Also, I have a new monitor (DELL) and it has something called a DVI interface besides the RGB connector
I have DVI interface in my computer as well, but what exactly is DVI and what difference does it make if I remove my RGB and connect my monitor to the computer using DVI? Or are both RGB and DVI supposed to be used together?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug 2011, 07:18    Post subject: Re: Puppy Dual Boot with Windows 7  

mahaju wrote:
My problem is that this new computer has Windows 7 Ultimate installed on it and it doesn't seem to have boot.ini. I don't want to damage the current Windows MBR so I can't install GRUB or anything like that. Is there anyway I can dual boot my system with the old Puppy install, without changing anything in my Windows installation? Please help.

Look at EasyBCD.
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug 2011, 13:51    Post subject:  

Quote:
Also, I have a new monitor (DELL) and it has something called a DVI interface besides the RGB connector
I have DVI interface in my computer as well, but what exactly is DVI and what difference does it make if I remove my RGB and connect my monitor to the computer using DVI? Or are both RGB and DVI supposed to be used together?

What is DVI-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
Basic answer is DVI is the digital signal connector.
Should give better, cleaner signal, to monitor if you can use it.
Only use one type of connection to monitor.

Crash

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2011, 23:40    Post subject:  

I wrote a dual boot Puppy Linux installer that works with Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7. It coexists on the primary NTFS partition just fine. I posted it here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=544826#544826

I haven't finished the readme file yet, but you basically boot to Windows 7, download it, unzip it to a convenient place and run Pup4Win.bat as ADMINISTRATOR. You have several chances to chicken out if you want to. Its default is to look for a Puppy Live CD. Be patient when it copies the files - it is a pretty minimal GUI interface, and doesn't provide any progress indicator.

It does the BCDEDIT stuff for you so you don't have to deal with the messy details. Then it installs Grub4DOS, adds a menu.lst, and copied the Puppy files to the hard drive. It makes a backup of the BCD file and maintains a log of its activity so you can see what you did. There is also an "uninstall" program in case you want to reverse the BCD edits.

After you run the program, you reboot and you will see a menu that gives you a choice of running Windows (the default) or Grub. If you choose Grub, you get a typical Grub menu that gives you the choice to boot to Puppy Linux.

The MBR is not touched - only the BCD file is touched, or in the case of XP, the boot.ini file is touched. So it is "pretty safe". The usual caveat about "use it at your own risk", but the worst that can happen is that Windows is irretrievably lost, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
disciple

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011, 02:12    Post subject:  

Also, I think a Puppy CD can act just as a boot disk. So you can do a frugal install without installing grub or anything, and when you boot from the CD it will find the frugal install and use it, instead of loading from the CD.
- - -
Beware the demented serfers!

Last edited by disciple on Thu 01 Sep 2011, 07:26; edited 1 time in total
Crash

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011, 06:16    Post subject:  

Yes, another way to dual boot any computer, including Windows 7, is to have some other media available to boot to. I had also been using a USB key with Puppy Linux installed that I would plug into the computer, then choose it as the boot device. But this is a messy way to do things, as tikbalang pointed out in this post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=514387#514387

This got me started down a mysterious path to the BCDEDIT world, and the referenced shell script is the result.

There is not yet a Linux equivalent of BCDEDIT. Thus the need to write the script in a DOS (WINDOWS) language, to be executed under the Windows GUI.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: