How to choose name for Save file?

Using applications, configuring, problems
BlueKnyght

How to choose name for Save file?

#1 Post by BlueKnyght »

Hi there!

I'm a school teacher in the Philippines, who has been a user and fan of Puppy Linux since February 2011 (six months ago). I have successfully created a Puplet Live CD for the use of my gradeschool students, which they can use around without picking viruses, and contains all the applications they would ever need for school use. But then, my students asked me if they can change the naming convention of their save file. They just feel awkward over lupusave-Angela.3fs or lupusave-Pedro.2fs or lupusave-Juan.3fs as their save file. (No offense to the community, and I've tried to convince them to accept it as is). We finally agreed over the word "eskwela" to be the prefix of their save file, which meant "student" in our vernacular. We will then have eskwela-Angela.3fs or eskwela-Pedro.2fs save files. Now, I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it. I've tried searching over this forum and also in Google, but it seems the answers are just too elusive.

I've also decided finally to give a name to my puplet live CD to conform to the new save files, and to give distinction from other Puplets and its parent Lucid Puppy, and have been having trouble and frustrations, taking so much time. So far, I was just able to edit DISTRO_SPECS, and was able to change the logo on the fbpanel. Can anyone out there, please guide me how to edit the Lucid Puppy names in my puplet? And also, how should I name my Puplet without offending the Puppy community? That's something I will be so careful with, because am just so respectful and so grateful to the community for the creation of Puppy Linux (esp. to Sir Barry K). Any suggestion or redirection will do. I just need to hasten things up, for my students demands.

Many thanks in advance and God bless all.

runtt21

#2 Post by runtt21 »

There is another DISTRO_SPECS in the initrd.gz . You will need to edit it also But be aware that doing so will cause problems for quickpet.

First copy the initrd.gz into a place where you can work on it like /root/my-documents. Then open a terminal in that folder and run these:

Code: Select all

mkdir initrd-tree 
And then :

cd initrd-tree 
And then:

zcat ../initrd.gz | cpio -i -d 
That will make a directory initrd-tree that contains the contents of the initrd.gz file. Go inside it and edit away. Both of the DISTRO_SPECS must match.

Then inside the initrd-tree/ directory run this:

find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../initrd.gz 
That will replace the old initrd.gz file with the new one.Add it to the .ISO

Ttuuxxx showed me how to do that.I use it for Macpup all the time. :D
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

BlueKnyght

#3 Post by BlueKnyght »

Wow! Thanks so much. I was really thinking how to hack initrd.gz. It's fast to get replies here, and it's a big help. I really appreciate it. Tnx.

Are there other files I should edit besides DISTRO_SPEC to name the puplet live cd?

And, can anyone show me how to replace the puppy face (logo16 I think) on boot of the Live CD. I wish to show the puplet's own new logo there. Anyway it's just a modified puppylogo96.png, where puppy is wearing a white graduation cap.

raffy

lss16

#4 Post by raffy »

BlueKnyght wrote:And, can anyone show me how to replace the puppy face (logo16 I think) on boot of the Live CD. I wish to show the puplet's own new logo there. Anyway it's just a modified puppylogo96.png, where puppy is wearing a white graduation cap.
Save your image as LSS16, which will show in mtPaint "save as" options after you convert your image to 16-color/indexed.

Great work, kabayan!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Don't get me wrong now.

This thread is important. It can help other teachers to do the same but them will not find it with this title. So we need to help each other coming up with a proper title.

What you really do is to change the name of the sfs? and the pupsave take its name from the sfs. So is it really a puplet naming? okay formally maybe but that is not what other teachers will look for them will look for a help with renaming all the pupsave files.

So
pupsave remnaming through remastering?

or similar title so people will be able to easely find it. Very good you took up this thing. A lot of families too maybe want to ahve their own names
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

runtt21

#6 Post by runtt21 »

nooby wrote:What you really do is to change the name of the sfs? and the pupsave take its name from the sfs. So is it really a puplet naming?

nooby, For example say you build a pup and call it the Nooby-pup. If you just rename the main.sfs to Noobypup-528.sfs and DONT change the /etc/DISTRO_SPECS and fix the initrd.gs ,your .ISO wont boot cause it will still be looking for the lupu-528.sfs . Once those changes are made it will use the Noobypup-528.sfs and will also make a Noobypupsave.sfs .

It is also possible to change the remaster script so that it will build the Noobypup-528.sfs in place of the lupu(or whatever)-528.sfs

BlueKnyght

#7 Post by BlueKnyght »

Wow! There's a fellow Pinoy here who likes puppy too. This is really getting exciting. Hi there, Sir Raffy.

darkcity

#8 Post by darkcity »

I'm curious why your students didn't like 'lupusave' ?

You could always add this info to the wiki ; -)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ComponentHowTo

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Runt thanks I am not good at writing and thinking. I thought me got that part too. So still he has not really done some programming and created a new puplet at all? He has done a kind of remastering of a unchanged puppy?

The only thing changes is that this one is remastered to allow for them to have names that them know what them means in their own local language.

Or maybe that is what a puplet is? I thought puplets was what you downloaded as new variations of Puppy.

Example. Lighthouse, Snow Puppy, Dpup, Wary, Quirky,

Their version is just an internal change of how it is named?

I don't mind to say I got it all wrong. I only trusted that
no other Teacher would find this important info using the search words
them come up with on their own not knowing it is named puplet?

BlueKnyght

#10 Post by BlueKnyght »

I agree to Sir Nooby to change the title for this thread,... nice point about others finding this thread correctly for what they are searching for.

How about: HowTo Distinctively Name Your Puplet From Other Puplets ???

It's really the topic I've been searching for when I started in the Puppy Forums. Say, how about a specific procedure in how to do this.

We can also discuss naming conventions, so that even with all the Puplets around, Puppy Linux and its community should still get the credit. Wa'daya think folks?

Comments anybody?

BTW: Let me get one thing straight. Is a Puplet different from a Remastered Puppy? I must be confused, I thought Puplets are created either by Woof or by RemasterPup. That the only difference is that other distro repos are involved with Woof, while remastering takes a snapshot of your system whether you have installed only .pet packages or packages from somewhere. In fact I'm keeping one Remastered Puppy LiveDVD with Urban Terror, Assault Cube, and Art of Illusion, w/c are not found in Puppy repos.

Anyway, I'm just a 6-month old new user of Puppy, please feel free to correct me as much as I need to be corrected. Many thanks in advance.

BlueKnyght

#11 Post by BlueKnyght »

To: Sir Dark City,

Well, no offense to the community, but my kids are connecting the name to a disease suffered by one of their classmate who is always absent (but with special considerations). The disease is Lupus, and the first time they saw the prefix, they reacted. They just went kind of superstitious all of a sudden. Well, you know how kids are when it comes to words or names. Sad but true, their parents supported their point. At least, my subject supervisor haven't heard about this yet, or it would be the end of my Puppy project for the kids.

darkcity

#12 Post by darkcity »

That is unfortunate :shock:

With regards to whether changing the base-sfs and pup-save prefixes constitutes a new puplet? I would have to say no. The purpose is change the base name not any functioning of Puppy. You could write a gui program to do this.

However, once you start making more and more changes it might be significantly different enough to become a Puplet.

:idea:

raffy

ISpup

#13 Post by raffy »

How about using ISpup, based on Quirky and NOP. The file names start with "qrky", sounds like "query" and "okay". :) ISpup is very stable (as usual with any Puppy). This version (of the Quirky series) can already handle 3G modems.

Woof-built versions are crafted by the more knowledgable Puppy devs (developers), and the version can be one of the official releases (Lucid Puppy is one, and the upcoming one is Slacko). They are compatible with the binaries of the parent distro.

The rest are puplets, whose popularity and life depend on the offered features as well as on the level of support provided by the creator.

If you intend to build and release a puplet, you will surely get help from here.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BlueKnyght

#14 Post by BlueKnyght »

To: All

Based on what Sir Nooby said, Indeed, I did not do any programming and made any changes on the underlying Puppy of my Remastered LiveCD, because I find Puppy already perfect for what I had in mind. That there's no need for me to present a new concept for an operating system.

All I did was replace many of Puppy's built in programs, because they are not what we use in school. I removed AbiWord and Gnumeric, and installed LibreOffice instead. I added other programs, like Gimp and Inkscape (replaced Inklite). Mostly are just .pet packages from the Puppy repos. So definitely it's just Puppy Linux on steroids. Well, I did some scripting too, so that when you click the icon on the desktop for Write, the LibreOffice Writer will open. I even made Thunar as the default, so when you clicked Home or mounted an FS with pmount, it would be Thunar that will open.

Rox-filer is just not so appealing with the kids, especially it's their first time with Linux. And I just thing Rox is just too powerful for kids to handle.

As you see, I made a really different Puppy, so I just thought it would be legal to name the LiveCD with something unique, distinctive from other Remastered or created from Woof. Please correct me if I thought incorrectly, that making a Puppy version that is quite different from the original, deserves to be called a Puplet, and that the idea of Puplet, is when you did some improvement on Puppy based on your need, you will have a way to share it. What if I share the LiveCD to other teachers around the world who finds a use for it, and say, I tell them it's just another remastered Puppy. "Er', which one?" wouldn't they say? So, I guess there's just a need to give what you made some name to identify it.

In a previous post, I mentioned what if we instigate a naming convention for Puplets, or remastered Puppy, that will still honor the original Puppy. I think it was already started by MacPup, DPup, Snow Puppy and others. Say, all puplets can have distinctive names, but always include "Pup" as either prefix or postfix. Just to be identified as a different puppy, not Another-Linux-Distro. So what da'ya think fellows?

darkcity

#15 Post by darkcity »

It sound like you indeed have a puplet on your hands, which could benefit other users. Having Pup or Puppy in the name definitely helps when it comes to identifying it as Puppy based - though not all derivatives do this (notably Legacy OS).

I'm working on cleaning the big Puplet list at-

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersion

When you removed unwanted programs such as AbiWord, did you just delete them or remaster? Because you need to remaster to completely remove them from the base sfs.

:idea:

nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

BlueKnyght I do apology.
You sure have made enough to give it the name your school prefer.

I am not only a Nooby I am a true nobody so do name it as you like
as long as you don't claim it is an official Puppy version.
Barry Kauler the owner of the name Puppy Linux has to give his approval
of such names of a puppy so it is a puplet then. I friendly bow out with a smile. :)

BlueKnyght

#17 Post by BlueKnyght »

First, I would like to apologize to everyone for saying my remastered Puppy is a different Puppy, because it's definitely not a different Puppy (because it's still a Puppy) but a different out-of-the-box experience. Sorry, it was already very late last night here and 'was already so sleepy, that I made an error in the choice of words. I only realized it when I woke up this morning. *LOL*
darkcity wrote:It sound like you indeed have a puplet on your hands, which could benefit other users. Having Pup or Puppy in the name definitely helps when it comes to identifying it as Puppy based - though not all derivatives do this (notably Legacy OS)
Thanks so much, sir.
darkcity wrote:I'm working on cleaning the big Puplet list at-

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersion
I visited the link. Wow! That many already? Very nice initiative for creating this list, sir. I hope one day I could create something worth adding there *LOL* :D
darkcity wrote:When you removed unwanted programs such as AbiWord, did you just delete them or remaster? Because you need to remaster to completely remove them from the base sfs.

I used the utility "Remove builtin packages", hoping that the remaster tool will understand that those apps I removed with the utility should not be included in the new .sfs file (was it called ramdisk file). Or, was I wrong about this utility?

As far as I can remember, the first time I tried remastering where I only removed Dillo, AbiWord, and Gnumeric, and installed in its place firefox 3.6.20, and the old OpenOffice, the finished .iso image file just went up about 130 Mb against the 128 Mb of Lupu525. And I can't find the removed packages anymore when I booted it on CD.

Anyway, I'll post the actual image size of the final LiveCD I have currently in mind, as soon as I finished finalizing it. Well, I decided to call it EskwelaPup OS. It means student puppy, or Puppy Linux for students. I guess I owe everyone here, screenshots of the new Puplet. It's got some new wallpapers that I've personally created. I hope ya'all like it :D

P.S.: Well, Abiword, Gnumeric, and others. are not really unwanted. I could still have included them, but I need to keep the .iso image small, for the purpose of faster download. Faster internet here in my country is just not so affordable yet, that only few had them. And I want many of my people to benefit from EskwelaPup OS.
Last edited by BlueKnyght on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 02:51, edited 2 times in total.

BlueKnyght

#18 Post by BlueKnyght »

Hey Sir Nooby, there's no need for apologies, man. :)

I think we're really here to present our thoughts and ideas, and discuss about them. In the end we arrive unto something we all could benefit from. I was really even glad, you pointed out the right title for this thread, so that people with the same problem as I had could find this (unfortunately, i still couldn't find the link here for changing the title *LOL*), and we were able to clarify what really can be and rightfully called a Puplet, and define what really is a Puplet. Maybe for others it's already clear what a Puplet is, but for me, I still need to be guided. Even after 6 mos. I still consider myself a Puppy Newbie. Thanks man, for pointing out things in this thread. You're definitely not a nobody.

See ya around in this forum. :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

I changed the title of this thread in an attempt to make it at least somewhat reflect the contents of the thread. If anyone has a better idea, feel free. :)

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Eskwela Linux: a Puplet OS for Schools

or something like that?

The ideal would be total localization so every language would have it's own name when choosing where one live. A Norwegian school teacher then would have have a Norwegian name there in the name of the OS?

Titles on a threads have the purpose to help people find a thread about what them want help with so it is not easy to know what potential teachers would chose as search word in google :)

Nooby is a true Nobody that is for sure :)