Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 06:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
I've KILLED Alsa!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
xdarkknight

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug 2011, 04:58    Post_subject:  I've KILLED Alsa!
Sub_title: I think it's a Skype bug problem

Last night. using everything fine. Sound worked and everything. this morning, no sound. what gives?
I run Alsaconf and it runs and even says it's all configured, but there's a few lines that I (in my uneducated to puppy state) am unable to fix/interpret.
Code:

ALSA lib conf.c:1016:(parse_value) card is not a string
ALSA lib conf.c:1685:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:2:20:invalid arguement
ALSA lib conf.c:3467:(snd_config_hook_load) /etc/asound.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:3326:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid arguement
ALSA lib conf.c:3713:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration cannot open mixer: Invalid arguement

Last night, I reloaded Skype. (because lucid decided, in it's infinite wisdom, to remove all but the sound, lang and avatar files) and I think that may have had a hand in it all.

How do I reload up Alsa so that it works? or is there a way to make the sound work BETTER?

Thanks
xdk
dio444

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug 2011, 09:23    Post_subject:  

I don't think it's Skype, since I have the same problem without ever running Skype.

I'm currently leaning towards the idea that it has something to do with loading sfs files. Is your skype the sfs version or the pet version?

Tom
xdarkknight

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug 2011, 09:36    Post_subject: I've KILLED Alsa!
Sub_title: SFS

It's the SFS version.
I know that Lucid comes with Skype (supposedly). however IMMEDIATELY after loading up Lucid, I attempted to start Skype. (I'm In the UK, family's in USA). something (I suspect skype) flashed up on screen and then nothing.
so I reloaded it.
I watched a few videos online last night (an hour and a half) perfectly (flash streaming) so it threw me when this morning I had no sound and Alsa was giving me lip about possibly corrupted files.
ugh.
nufan

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2011, 18:23    Post_subject:  

Out of curiosity, what version of puppy are you using? I've constantly been having the same problem on 5.2.9.
Semme

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2011, 18:53    Post_subject:  

Welcome to the forum nufan. Say, what type of install have you got going there? I'm on 5.28 running out of an ext3 save file left dumped on my other systems ext3 partition. Having had your problem and numerous install setups later, I've found Pup saves everything quite nicely with my save session interval set to ZERO. Needless to say, sound's been perfect since.
nufan

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2011, 21:24    Post_subject:  

My setup is:
Luci 5.2.9 - USB flash drive Install
ext2 savefile (heard it's easier on USB flash drives)

Running on:
Pentium-m 1.5 (old as hell, but still gets the job done)
1.5 GB RAM

Let me know if more info needed, I might just set the save interval to 0 as well.
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug 2011, 07:01    Post_subject:  

As a test I reinstalled (yet again), choosing the pfix=ram and "save to usb" options (the middle one). Installed a browser and grabbed the latest Flash. All this after setting that save interval to ZERO. Went and watched a few flash videos with several reboots between. Then, in an attempt to address the concerns of another fella here, I took Pup through a few cold drops while watching these flash vids and can confirm.. Pup'll go through it's usual fsck upon reboot, except this time, Alsa continues to work. You might try the same while rerwin investigates.

If you're worried about the interval, create a test file and reboot. You'll see..

PS - On the downside, should you encounter an unscheduled crash, any changes made during that session go byebye.
mahaju

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug 2011, 01:02    Post_subject:  

try running alsa-wizard
if it doesn't work I think the command might be alsawizard
try both of them and let's first see what happens
hope this helped
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum