Return To Castle Wolfenstein (ioRTCW)

Play with your Puppy.
takenp

Return To Castle Wolfenstein (ioRTCW)

#1 Post by takenp »

Hi guys!

I wouldn't border you if this game issued in 2001 wouldn't make me say after replaying for a while "just perfect, just for all time".

Since ~2010 it became free (thx to id Software reveled their engines source code) and got Linux version as well as tons of mods, maps and other stuff.

My kids, playing mostly CS GO found its multiplayer very funny and got a lot of fun.

It runs smoothly on 32-bit and 64-bit on tahr and later on older hardware. And its mp servers are still surprisingly full. Since 18 years! )

So check it out!

Linux engine files (ioRTCW): https://github.com/iortcw/iortcw

ioRTCW + game files: http://wolfenstein4ever.de/index.php/downloads/summary/7/2495

Venom mod (HD textures, shaders, better models): http://wolfenstein4ever.de/index.php/downloads/viewdownload/56/2499

cheerz!
Attachments
rtcw2.jpg
(70.29 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
rtcw3.jpg
(61.58 KiB) Downloaded 489 times

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Could you explain exactly what you need to do to download and install this and run it?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

takenp

#3 Post by takenp »

Dear @bigpup,

it is very easy. (if you know quake like games in principal)

you put game engine somewhere (/usr/local/games/) for me
or make install does it

then you put all *.pk3 files (they are resource files) into main/ subdir in the engine dir or there is also ~/.wolf dir for users files created after first launch I suppose. You may also put *.pk3 filese there.

I suppose http://wolfenstein4ever.de/index.php/downloads/summary/7/2495
has everything: engine and .pk3 files

But I haven't checked it cause got my .pk3 files from the bought CD and added some extra .pk3's with HD textures and etc.

the game is perfect, wish you success )

jamesbond

#4 Post by jamesbond »

There are no .pk3 files there. The page says the download size is 1.1GB, but if you click the download link, it only offers to download about 90MB - which are just the engines (for Windows, Linux, and macos I think).
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hah.

Zips inside zips inside yet more zips.....as jamesbond says, this looks like just the game engines. So; where d'you get these .pk3 files from.....and what do these actually do? Are these the 'storylines', episodes, or whatever?

Mike. :wink:

takenp

#6 Post by takenp »

jamesbond wrote:There are no .pk3 files there. .
I'm sorry I did not checked it. Try this one. If there will be problem I will upload my original resource files .pk3

http://wolfenstein4ever.de/index.php/downloads/summary/76-rtcw-full-versions/2296-rtcw-1-4-pack-by-reflex

..and don't forget to put only .pk3 file into /main dir of the game
Last edited by takenp on Wed 20 Nov 2019, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

takenp

#7 Post by takenp »

Mike Walsh wrote:Are these the 'storylines', episodes, or whatever?
Yepp. all these stuff and textures, models, scripts, game menu and etc. Don't forget after getting original .pk3 files to add HD texture pack and put it into main/ dir of ioRTCW folder.

anticapitalista

#8 Post by anticapitalista »

All your wolfenstein4ever.de links give 404 errors.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hmm...

That's no good either. You've got a 445 MB download which, when you go to extract it, gives you 1.5 MB-worth of WAV files. And that's ALL you get.

Looks like a waste of time. Never mind; easy come, easy go.....and Malwarebytes BrowserGuard was flagging it up as infested with Trojans, anyway. Good job I'm not running Windoze, ain't it? :roll:

takenp

#10 Post by takenp »

Mike Walsh wrote: You've got a 445 MB download which, when you go to extract it, gives you 1.5 MB-worth of WAV files. And that's ALL you get.:
That is not true. you used XArchiver that cant read the file correctly. Try another archiver. I've seen all *.pk3 files needed using UExtract but with 0 bites size. I suppose something uncommon with the zip file.

Sorry, I've used my original pk3 from a CD, so...

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ takenp:-

UExtract is exactly what I did use. Never use anything else. Can't get on with XArchiver.

As you said, I did get all files showing, but the total size of the directory was only around 1.3 MB. The sound files were the only ones that actually seemed to extract correctly, so.....I tend to agree with you; something wrong with the .zip file itself.

Which is a shame..... Never mind. Can't be helped. :(

SFR

#12 Post by SFR »

Mike Walsh wrote:That's no good either. You've got a 445 MB download which, when you go to extract it, gives you 1.5 MB-worth of WAV files. And that's ALL you get.
takenp wrote:I've seen all *.pk3 files needed using UExtract but with 0 bites size. I suppose something uncommon with the zip file.
Hey guys,

I can extract that archive with UExtract. It's not a ZIP, though, it's renamed RAR.
In my case 7z kicks in and extracts it:

Code: Select all

Can not open the file as [zip] archive
The file is open as [Rar] archive
The extracted stuff weights 470M.
Maybe you have older version of p7zip? Mine's 16.02 (full version with 7z binary).
Anyway, try renaming it to *.rar. Should help if you have unrar installed.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ SFR:-

Jake, having said that, d'you think the portable Windows version of 7Zip would handle it, running under WINE? I have this portable functioning well in most Puppies; I've never had much luck with the Linux p7zip, for some reason.....

The 'portable', from PortableApps.com, is version 16.04.

(I know for a fact that RAR seems to be a very popular compression format for Windoze.....and that a lot of these Windoze kiddies have a habit or renaming zip archives, without telling anybody. Go figure.) :roll:

perdido

#14 Post by perdido »

I have used the following peazip version on precise and bionic with success on most any rar or 7zip archive

https://github.com/giorgiotani/PeaZip/r ... 2_i386.deb

No particular reason to use that version except it was latest at the time,

All the peazips are here if you want the latest or different
https://github.com/giorgiotani/PeaZip/releases/

Some people don't like that its closed source.
Did not need any dependencies, seems to have them all in the 10MB package.
On the peazip.desktop file I changed the

Exec=peazip %F
to

Exec=peazip
as it was giving startup errors

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Cheers, Perdido. Thanks for that.

I'll have a shufti through those.....see if I have any more luck with them.

Ta, lad..!

SFR

#16 Post by SFR »

Mike Walsh wrote:Jake, having said that, d'you think the portable Windows version of 7Zip would handle it, running under WINE? I have this portable functioning well in most Puppies; I've never had much luck with the Linux p7zip, for some reason.....
I see no reason why shouldn't it.
But don't you have unrar on your system already?
Here you can download pre-built binaries (i386 & amd64) or source code and build it yourself (just load devx.sfs and simple make will do the job): https://www.rarlab.com/rar_add.htm
PeaZip should also handle it, since it comes with 7z included.
perdido wrote:Some people don't like that its closed source.
It's not closed source, just written in Pascal. ;)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, that's answered my previous question.

The portable Windows version of '7Zip 16.04' handled it beautifully. Everything is unzipped, and all is present & correct.....all 471 MB of it!

Even the 'ReadMe.txt' has unpacked properly. I think I was using UExtract 3.36 for this, Jake; I know you've added quite a few new items in the last couple of releases, haven't you? I've got 3.40 installed in 2 or 3 Pups, but I simply haven't gotten around to swapping the entire kennels over just yet.....

Anyways; thanks for the hint. It nudged me in the right direction...

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

Okay.

Now; I've got as far as getting this to fire up in Precise 571. If, however, you choose to go 'Single Player', I get an error message, which tells me I need to 're-install' the '1.41 point release', because some additional .pk3 files are missing.

These are:-

sp_pak1.pk3
sp_pak2.pk3
sp_pak3.pk3
sp_pak4.pk3

.....so I shall need to have a scout around & see if I can locate 'em, I guess. No rest for the wicked..! :lol:

takenp

#19 Post by takenp »

I can extract that archive with UExtract. It's not a ZIP, though, it's renamed RAR.
In my case 7z kicks in and extracts it:

Can not open the file as [zip] archive
The file is open as [Rar] archive
The extracted stuff weights 470M.
Maybe you have older version of p7zip? Mine's 16.02 (full version with 7z binary).
Anyway, try renaming it to *.rar. Should help if you have unrar installed.
Hi @SFS many thanx for the research )
Please try the game then. (with HD textures). It deserves that.

BTW I also tried with

7z x file
but I unpacked it with many zero files. I am on tuhrpup and 7z ver is 9.20
Last edited by takenp on Thu 21 Nov 2019, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

SFR

#20 Post by SFR »