No Sound

Booting, installing, newbie
trader1mds

No Sound

#1 Post by trader1mds »

I'm a newbie and need help with no sound on my laptop. I have a Dell 1200 laptop and I'm running Puppy 5.2.8 from a USB flash drive. Where do I go in menu to setup sound? Do I need to download a driver from Dell?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

trader1mds

#2 Post by trader1mds »

I found the "sound setup" in Pup Control Manager ALSA wizard says card found and set up but I get a window that says "Mixer attach default error: Input/output error".

trader1mds

#3 Post by trader1mds »

Started windows XP, downloaded and installed updated driver from Dell. Sound works in XP. Not in Puppy on Flash Drive.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Try this:

[quote]Sound muted on boot.
Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and choose Full Window. Enable Master, PCM, Front and any others that seem likely and also turn up the volume in each. This should fix things a good percentage of the time. If not, then please try Menu -> Setup -> Alsa Sound Wizard.

If no sound,
open Menu -> Multimedia Tools -> Alsamixer (alsamixer, not alsawizard). Press F6 and that will show you what sound devices have been detected and configured. If yours is not the top one then arrow down and click it, then make sure everything plausible is turned up. I have to do this with my “second
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

inkid

#5 Post by inkid »

bigpup wrote:Try this:
didn't work on my netbook Acer Aspire One 525 too.

trader1mds

#6 Post by trader1mds »

Alsa mixer doesn't show any sound devices and there isn't a speaker icon in the tray. I installed Zorin os 5 lite on a flash drive and sound works fine with it.
I tried the devices listed in Alsawizard with no luck. I'm going to try running puppy from a live cd and see what happens.

Thanks for the response,
Mike

trader1mds

#7 Post by trader1mds »

Update to no sound...I installed 5.2.8 to a new flash drive and the sound is working. Must have been a problem with the ISO burn or defect in the flash drive.
FYI...I'm experimenting with several Linux distros, (Zorin os Lite, Antix) and so far Puppy is my favorite! The fact that Puppy already has the b43 broadcom driver installed is a big plus.

Mike

mahaju

#8 Post by mahaju »

in the terminal try
alsawizard

it's either this or alsa-wizard

It should set everything up automatically (you have to press enter or Y at some points I think) and at the end, hear puppy bark twice