Puppy Phone - VOIP using SIP

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
dogle

#436 Post by dogle »

Stripe, thanks for passing on the 'gen
regarding the problems with older hardware (10 years plus) dogle has found that if you are using version 0.26 and reduce your call quality from 6 to 4 it actually improves the performance
- but I fear that some confusion has crept in, this was all about poor internet connection quality not older hardware.

I'll post more info. which I hope will be helpful to sc0ttman et al. shortly, when I've had chance to do some more tests.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#437 Post by Lobster »

all about poor internet connection quality not older hardware
:)
On Sundays call, we assured him that Dogles voice was much clearer (no breaking up). He then asked a question and I did not understand, even though his voice is very clear :oops:
So there is still some break up but it is much improved . . .

I find the disable Firewall Yes/No part of the initial setup confusing
but then I was once confused by a red herring . . .

Anyway I have revived my Puppy Phone wizard.
Which should work for most people setting up in Slacko.

I have not petted it because that confuses me much like that herring . . . :wink:
Attachments
pphone_wiz3.tar.gz
(35.77 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

DPUP5520

#438 Post by DPUP5520 »

Sorry I haven't read through this whole thread but just a quick question, is there a reason my iptel.org address works with the new client but not my ekiga.net address.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

Sylvander

#439 Post by Sylvander »

@Lobster

1. "I find the disable Firewall Yes/No part of the initial setup confusing"
When I tell it to NOT disable the firewall, it disables it anyway. :?

2. "I have not petted it because that confuses me much like that herring"
That's a pity...
I know what to do with a PET file, but not with a .tar.gz file. :(

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#440 Post by Lobster »

I know what to do with a PET file, but not with a .tar.gz file
click on the .tar.gz
extract files
right click on the extracted shell script
and change its permissions
then clicking on the script file will run it . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

smokey01

#441 Post by smokey01 »

DPUP5520 wrote:Sorry I haven't read through this whole thread but just a quick question, is there a reason my iptel.org address works with the new client but not my ekiga.net address.
Post your details for both accounts and we might be able to help. No need to display your passwords though.

smokey01

#442 Post by smokey01 »

Sylvander wrote:@Lobster

1. "I find the disable Firewall Yes/No part of the initial setup confusing"
When I tell it to NOT disable the firewall, it disables it anyway. :?
So it does. I will have to fix that.

Sylvander

#443 Post by Sylvander »

1. "then clicking on the script file will run it . . ."
(a) Then what does the script do?
Install the Puppy Phone wizard so it can later be run by clicking its item in the menu?...
Or RUN the Puppy Phone wizard?
Hope I'm not sounding dense. :(

2. "So it does. I will have to fix that"
Great!
The program takes one more step toward perfection. :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#444 Post by Lobster »

it runs the Puppy Phone wizard . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

smokey01

#445 Post by smokey01 »

Sylvander wrote:1. "then clicking on the script file will run it . . ."
(a) Then what does the script do?
Install the Puppy Phone wizard so it can later be run by clicking its item in the menu?...
Or RUN the Puppy Phone wizard?
Hope I'm not sounding dense. :(

2. "So it does. I will have to fix that"
Great!
The program takes one more step toward perfection. :D
There is a script in /usr/sbin/psip32 which is invoked from the Internet Menu

This script does 4 things/steps.

Step 1. Checks to see if .psip.conf exists in /root

If it does, it runs step 2, if not, it allows you to test and setup your sound card with recording and playback.

Step 2 Checks to see if rc.firewall is installed. If it is then you get the option to turn it off, or leave it on. Well it suppose to leave it on if you select On then OK, but at the moment On or Off turns the firewall off. I will fix that.

If you don't have rc.firewall installed then the script progresses to step 3.

Step 3 runs Psip.

When you quit Psip the script progresses to Step 4.

Step 4 gives you the option to leave the firewall off or turn it back on.

So if you don't have a firewall and it's not the first time you have run Psip, a .psip.conf will exist, Psip will load without any prompts.

Simple

Sylvander

#446 Post by Sylvander »

1. Sounds really good... :D
Except...
In my case...

2. When running Psip32 for the 1st time in Slacko-5.3 or Wary-5.2...
It freezes when I attempt to configure it for use [my hardware is 8-year-old]...
And I'm forced to Ctrl+Alt+backspace, and xwin to come back in to the desktop.
So every time I run it it's like the 1st time. :(

DPUP5520

#447 Post by DPUP5520 »

smokey01 wrote:
DPUP5520 wrote:Sorry I haven't read through this whole thread but just a quick question, is there a reason my iptel.org address works with the new client but not my ekiga.net address.
Post your details for both accounts and we might be able to help. No need to display your passwords though.

Both setups are the same except when I try to use my Ekiga one I get a 606 error upon trying to log in which I couldn't find anything about in the documentation
Attachments
606.png
(45.18 KiB) Downloaded 628 times
Ekiga.png
(36.66 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
IPTEL.png
(37.92 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

dogle

#448 Post by dogle »

Riiight .... quick synopsis for Puppy Phone neophytes:

- if your hardware is ~ 8+ years old you are likely to need Psip0.26 rather than Psip32-1.2 (sound interfacing issues).

- you will need a Puppy version not before 5-series with either of the above.

- you do not need a 'high-speed' internet connection (VoIP traffic demands are quite modest, dialup is OK) but data 'quality' is important.

In a bit more detail:

Sound is all-important, and handled by the hidden ALSA software (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, ubergeek territory). You'll be using a GUI such as Retrovol or AlsaMixer to tweak settings (although, for me at least, Smokey01's wizard fronting Psip32 does a fine job guessing them about right).

Psip0.26 incorporates pjsua; Psip32 incorporates pjsip with pjsua therein - with hardware of a certain age, pjsip struggles to recognise the sound arrangements -> fails -> freezes without making the .psip.conf file, hence the need to revert to Psip0.26.

Puppy 4-series does not play nicely sound-wise (for me) with either Psip32 or Psip0.26 - right now I'm not sure whether this is due to Barry doing something special in the course of the 5-series development, or whether the earlier AlsaMixer 1.0.20 is not quite up to the job, or what.

Any corrections to the foregoing are welcome.

As Stripe reported, we found that my outgoing speech was much improved by reducing the sound quality setting in Psip0.26 from 6 to 4. I presume this is due to amelioration of packet-loss or like problems on a dubious (fast but rubbishy) internet connection .... there is, however, a downside - with the lower setting it has become nigh-impossible to get voice from IPTel echo/music/voicemail ... but Conference is OK! (I haven't figured this out, any ideas?).

It was disappointing not to have any newcomers at the Sunday conference - don't be shy, folks, come and join in!

nooby

#449 Post by nooby »

It was disappointing not to have any newcomers at the Sunday conference - don't be shy, folks, come and join in!
I am hesitating joining the iptel company. I mean why do them give
this service for free? What is in it for them to have me onboard?

Are there other such free services that one know something about?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

smokey01

#450 Post by smokey01 »

nooby wrote:
I wonder what's in it for Barry, me, 01micko, russoodle, pemesu, kirk,and many other developers and community spirited people in the puppy community.

There are plenty of free SIP services around. Try searching for Free SIP Account and you will find many.

Why are you so suspicious about iptel, is it something we should all know.

Jump in it's fun.

smokey01

#451 Post by smokey01 »

DPUP5520 I'm not familiar with the error you are getting from ekiga.net.

Your login details are all correct as long as your password is too.

I am currently talking to CatDude while typing this message. He is on iptel and I'm on ekiga.

It may have been a server problem when you tried to login.

What version of puppy are you using?
What version of Psip are you using?
How old is you computer?
What type of computer are you using?
What type of internet connection do you have? wireless, wifi or ethernet?

CatDude tells me him Stripe were both on ekiga.net earlier today and it was working fine.

BTW you won't get green online status with ekiga.net though. I don't know why but that's why we like iptel because compatibility seems better with Psip.

Try to login at a different time and see if it's successful.

Cheers

DPUP5520

#452 Post by DPUP5520 »

I tried it on both Slacko and Puppy Crypt 528. Both were tried using 1.2 with their respective versions. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite E205-S1980 it's less than a year old using a wireless connection. I just tried again and got the same error, not really a big deal I guess since I have the iptel.org account just trying to figure out what could be causing the problem.

Edit: I got it working, seems like something was messed up on Ekiga's end as using the same settings I can log into/register on either one now, however now it seems for some reason my audio is not working at all, I thought it was just a problem with Slacko as my audio does not work on there however with 528 my audio is not working with Psip either and i've tried every audio configuration mix.

Caneri

#453 Post by Caneri »

@DPUP5520,

I got your message but no voice....just some background noise.
I tried to leave a message back but I couldn't connect to your iptel address...hmmm.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

DPUP5520

#454 Post by DPUP5520 »

Yea I don't know what's going on, I'm going to try with my wife's laptop later and see if I can get it working properly it's about 4 years older than my own laptop so maybe I can get things working right on there.

nooby

#455 Post by nooby »

smokey01 wrote:
nooby wrote:
I wonder what's in it for Barry, me, 01micko, russoodle, pemesu, kirk,and many other developers and community spirited people in the puppy community.

There are plenty of free SIP services around. Try searching for Free SIP Account and you will find many.

Why are you so suspicious about iptel, is it something we should all know.

Jump in it's fun.
Yes but I know too little.

take this:
http://voip.about.com/od/voipsoftware/a ... neList.htm
Them list neither iptel.org nor ekiga.net so what does that say?
That them are totally unknown and how can those totally unknown survive financely even for a few months? Free Email providers come and go all the time. Very few survive them need money to pay for the bandwith.

But maybe this about.com guy talk about something else. softphone
while you guys talk about voip addresses. Seems he don't care about such?

So how do iptel and ekiga get money? Them must sell something. Either advertizing or my personal info to the advertisers or something else.

There is no free lunch people tells me.
Last edited by nooby on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though