Puppy Phone - VOIP using SIP

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
smokey01

Re: Microphone in PUPs - SLACKO

#136 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin wrote:
Lobster wrote: ... Edit
# arecord -r 16000 test.wav
Hey Grant, Mick - the record and playback now works in Slako PSIPPY
- excellent test of MIC setting built in . . .
Great news for all of us.

@Lboster, do you think that you could make a small script that would be called "Mic Test" that might be useful for both PSIPPY and PUPs everywhere? If I had the skills to create a General Purpose dialoog, I woulld help. But, I'm willing to test one, though.

Hope this helps
gcmartin just extract the attached file to a directory.
Attachments
Recorder.tar.gz
A very simple audio recorder that uses arecord and aplay
(75.62 KiB) Downloaded 423 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#137 Post by Lobster »

Grant the HTML (help.html) I sent recently
was 'orrible in terms of coding.
Created in Seamonkey Composer
. . . does the job

put it through this to clean it up
http://fixmyhtml.com/

lovely!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

smokey01

#138 Post by smokey01 »

I had a rethink of the little voice recorder I made. Although it's quite simple and works well, .wav files are quite large. Because of this I changed it to create both a wav file and an mp3 file. The mp3 file is about 17% of the size of the wav file. In other words a 1M wav file is less than 200k, not bad.

I have also made it easy to find the recorded file. Once the file has been created, rox will show you where it is.

It has three dependencies, arecord, aplay and lame. All three are normally bundled with puppy.
Attachments
svr-1.0.pet
Simple Voice Recorder
(39.89 KiB) Downloaded 399 times

Caneri

#139 Post by Caneri »

Grant,

I really like the svr pet you made.
It works great for sending email with an attached voice message.
The mp3 format is playable inside my email client....hooray!!

E
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

gcmartin

#140 Post by gcmartin »

smokey01 wrote:I had a rethink of the little voice recorder I ...
Great! You may want to package this with PSIP. Further, you may also want to add a button/feature/menu on PSIP for running this clever utility.

I realize that this should be posted on the PSIP site instead of here. So, one may want to move this post there.

Thanks @Smokey01...Thanks.

smokey01

#141 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin wrote:
smokey01 wrote:I had a rethink of the little voice recorder I ...
Great! You may want to package this with PSIP. Further, you may also want to add a button/feature/menu on PSIP for running this clever utility.

I realize that this should be posted on the PSIP site instead of here. So, one may want to move this post there.

Thanks @Smokey01...Thanks.
It's already built in.

WB7ODYFred

PSIP2 Update Edit Account instrunctions from Sipphone to IPT

#142 Post by WB7ODYFred »

From a new 5.2.8 Lucid, I was starting Using PSIP 0.2 [thanks Lobster!!] I went to the configure "edit account" button, and saw notes/ links about sipphone website. These should be updated to refer to IPtel.org website and creating account webpage.

Great Job All for continuing updating PSIP. This is my tiny correction.
With a little more time, I would edit the GTK code it self and provide the change here.

Also Anyone look at website sipbroker.com. Maybe include a link on the wikka/psip2 wiki
http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/acti ... WhitePages
Sipbroker, allows connections between different sip providers.
iptel.org is listed as *478
ekiga.net is listed as *673
sip.vitelity.net is listed as *7739
We might be able to make calls from one VoIP SIP to anther VoIP SIP provider. ie iptel to ekiga

Here in the USA, I use www.vitelity.net for my VoIP to Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) needs. Works great when using PSIP (puppy Sip or puppy sippy [ PSIP2]

Fred sip:wb7odyfred@ekiga.net

PS. I am glad to see the 13:00 GMT Sunday meeting conference call.
Will work at making my own wb7odyfred@iptel.org account.
Wondering if we can post a conference call phone number that works 24 hours a day for new users to meet and ask questions, although IRC chat (irc.freenode.org channel #puppylinux allows help to be given without distraction of audio interfering with your computing thoughts/work.
Attachments
PSIP2_update_Dialog_addaccount.png.png
Updated file dialog_addaccount with reference to iptel.
(24.3 KiB) Downloaded 1242 times
dialog_addaccount.tar.gz
mv /usr/local/psip/dialog_addaccount /usr/local/psip/dialog_addaccount_save
Xarchive extract file dialog_addaccount to /usr/local/psip. Check that you have the execute "x" permissions set.
Best wishes, and see if other items inside this
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
PSIP2_GTK_Edit_Account_Msg.png
Edit Account function from PSIP 0.2 snapshot
Change notes from Sipphone to IPTel. Done in above file
/usr/local/psip/dialog_addaccount
(25.51 KiB) Downloaded 1138 times

dogle

#143 Post by dogle »

Whahey, good to hear from you Fred.
(CQ CQ CQ but I've not yet seen you flagged 'online' in PSIP 0.25 on IPTel or ekiga).

Hmm, IPtel implies that calls to/from ekiga are direct -
http://www.iptel.org/service
- anyone know whether the 'online' flag works across the two services?

The GUI numeric keypad doesn't seem to do anything for me - should it? (was it ever thus? - memory of 3 years ago is a bit vague).

Zombies - grrrrr - despite being well aware of the problem and intending to close PSIP/pjsua properly via the Phone menu, I still keep generating these by force of habit. This is a potential showstopper for those who are not aware .... I wonder, pending expert resolution of this issue, whether suppression of the GUI X-button might be do-able as a quick-n'-dirty fix?

smokey01

Re: PSIP2 Update Edit Account instrunctions from Sipphone to IPT

#144 Post by smokey01 »

WB7ODYFred wrote:From a new 5.2.8 Lucid, I was starting Using PSIP 0.2 [thanks Lobster!!] I went to the configure "edit account" button, and saw notes/ links about sipphone website. These should be updated to refer to IPtel.org website and creating account webpage.
Fred good to see you back. I have already done this, look on page 8 for psip-gui-0.25.
WB7ODYFred wrote:Here in the USA, I use www.vitelity.net for my VoIP to Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) needs. Works great when using PSIP (puppy Sip or puppy sippy [ PSIP2]

Fred sip:wb7odyfred@ekiga.net

PS. I am glad to see the 13:00 GMT Sunday meeting conference call.
Will work at making my own wb7odyfred@iptel.org account.
Wondering if we can post a conference call phone number that works 24 hours a day for new users to meet and ask questions, although IRC chat (irc.freenode.org channel #puppylinux allows help to be given without distraction of audio interfering with your computing thoughts/work.
I have also created a #Psip chat room at Freenode.

I have also recompiled pjsua 1.10, the Psip engine, in 32 bit. It seems to work ok from the CLI but I am having problems making it interface properly with the current GUI.

For those of you who are using PJSUA from the CLI and can't see other online, this is what you do.

First you need to make sure PJSUA is using your pjsua.cfg file with the account details.

Code: Select all

./pjsua --config-file ./psip/pjsua.cfg
Now when pjsua is running type

Code: Select all

s [enter] -1 [enter]
Now when you press m to make a call, you will see who is online.

I rather like driving pjsua from the CLI it is quite easy.

If you want to try the new pjsua with gui, I will attach it here but you will need to rename it to pjsua_custom_03-0.9.0 to work with the current psip GUI.

smokey01

#145 Post by smokey01 »

dogle wrote: The GUI numeric keypad doesn't seem to do anything for me - should it? (was it ever thus? - memory of 3 years ago is a bit vague).
dogle the keypad works fine here and always has. For example when you check your voice mail at IPTel you are asked to press 1 to listed to messages etc, does it not work?
dogle wrote:Zombies - grrrrr - despite being well aware of the problem and intending to close PSIP/pjsua properly via the Phone menu, I still keep generating these by force of habit. This is a potential showstopper for those who are not aware .... I wonder, pending expert resolution of this issue, whether suppression of the GUI X-button might be do-able as a quick-n'-dirty fix?
I am looking at this. I almost have it working but I could do with some help from a good coder. I can actually turn off the little X in the window, to force a proper shutdown, but it introduces other problems.

Caneri

#146 Post by Caneri »

Conference call happening NOW.

GMT-5 for me...room 528
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

smokey01

svr-1.1

#147 Post by smokey01 »

I have updated the simple voice recorder to ver 1.1.

All I added was some tool tips which provides some very basic help.

When your mouse hovers over the buttons it now tells you what they do. Done especially for caneri, however I learned another command. Thanks Zigbert.

pemesu suggested I could delete the .wav file after the .mp3 file was created. I originally did this however aplay can't play .mp3 files and I didn't want to call additional apps.

Enjoy
Attachments
svr-1.1.pet
Simple Voice Recorder with tool tips
(39.93 KiB) Downloaded 506 times

smokey01

#148 Post by smokey01 »

More noobyproofing.

I have added tool tips to some of the buttons in Psip.

This will make it easier for first timers to understand what the buttons actually do.

Extract to /usr/local/psip
Attachments
Psip-0.26.tar.gz
Minor update.
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#149 Post by Lobster »

Maybe include a link on the wikka/psip2 wiki
OK done that 8)

Reminder:
Next conference call on Sunday 11th September 2011 at 1300h GMT daylight saving time

New recorder works well. Listened to all voice messages. Thanks guys.

Been looking at the new video tag in HTML5
However none of the tutorial examples work. Que?
The standard seems to be non standard.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

smokey01

Psip

#150 Post by smokey01 »

I have petted up Psip after making quite a few changes.

I have removed those pesky call disconnected messages. We were always going to do that but it was handy for testing and we just never got around to it.

The first time you run Psip from a fresh install, Psip will present you with the account dialog. If you already have a SIP account you can enter the information right then and there.

Another function I have changed is the password field in the above dialog. It's all very nice having a password field that displays ***** instead of letter and numbers but you never know if you've made a mistake. You only ever type your password in when you enter a new account and that probably won't be too often.

The other reason I have made the change is there is some different behaviour with Thunar's dialog script changes. I'm sure he has made it better and I love the work he is doing but it does break a few commands in Psip. The password box is one and the other is gxmessage dialogs. Gxmessage no longer has scroll bars when the text is too big for the window. I fixed the problem by making the window larger so all of the text for setup instructions can be seen in the window, I hope.

Installation:

If you have a distro without Psip, simply click on the psip-0.26.pet file and install it as normal.

For people who are worried about breaking a working setup I suggest you test it on a live CD/DVD first and install as above.

For the rest of us brave dudes, simply delete the following:

/usr/local/psip (the entire directory)
/usr/sbin/psip (single file)

There is another directory at /root/.psip (hidden directory) which contains your pjsua.cfg file and PSIP_chatlog. I would recommend you leave this directory alone as it will already have your account details and buddy list. If you really do want to start afresh, delete it, however you will have to replace some information. No big deal really.

I think that's about it.

Let me know if it's good for you too. :lol:

Sylvander

#151 Post by Sylvander »

1. I uninstalled ALL of the psip already existing in my Lupu-526, and installed the new version using psip-0.26.pet.

2. I then noticed the [empty] folder /.psip right at the top of the folder hierarchy. :(
I don't like it at the top; I want my /00 folder there.
Anything I [or you] can do about that?

3. When I run the command psip in a terminal, it reports:
# psip
# /usr/sbin/psip: line 3: ./psip: No such file or directory

4. /usr/local/psip is empty also.

5. /usr/sbin/psip is 42 bytes.
Attachments
00.jpg
(14.69 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
Last edited by Sylvander on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#152 Post by smokey01 »

Sylvander wrote:1. I uninstalled ALL of the psip already existing in my Lupu-526, and installed the new version using psip-0.26.pet.

2. I notice the [empty] folder /.psip right at the top of the folder hierarchy. :(
I don't like it at the top; I want my /00 folder there.
Anything I [or you] can do about that?

3. When I run the command psip in a terminal, it reports:
# psip
# /usr/sbin/psip: line 3: ./psip: No such file or directory

4. /usr/local/psip is empty also.
You could rename 00 to .00

Sylvander

#153 Post by Sylvander »

(a) OK, renamed /00, /01, /02, /03, /04 to /.00, /.01, /.02, /.03, /.04

(b) And now I cannot set my "Firefox->Edit->Preferences->General->Downloads->Save files to..."
I'm not offered the option to save to /.00...
Can only save to unhidden files...
Therefore chose /00, and that folder was auto-made when I chose to re-download psip-0.26.pet to see if it was empty or not.

2. It was somewhat strange as follows:
Folders that had files in them...
When I did the rename....
Xfe crashed and had to be restarted.
Once open there were 2 copies of the folder:
One with the original name; one with the new name.
The new folder had only one of the files in it, and it was of zero size.
So I deleted the zero-size file, copied ALL the files over from old to new, and deleted the old folder including all its copies of the files.

3. psip still doesn't run...
Still gives the same error.

4. I notice the error mentions [folder or file?] ./psip, yet I have no hidden ./
What I have is unhidden /
Last edited by Sylvander on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#154 Post by smokey01 »

Sylvander wrote:1. OK, renamed /00, /01, /02, /03, /04 to /.00, /.01, /.02, /.03, /.04

2. It was somewhat strange as follows:
Folders that had files in them...
When I did the rename....
Xfe crashed and had to be restarted.
Once open there were 2 copies of the folder:
One with the original name; one with the new name.
The new folder had only one of the files in it, and it was of zero size.
So I deleted the zero-size file, copied ALL the files over from old to new, and deleted the old folder including all its copies of the files.

3. psip still doesn't run...
Still gives the same error.

4. I notice the error mentions [folder or file?] ./psip, yet I have no hidden ./
What I have is unhidden /
I haven't tried it on Xfe.

I have tested on Lupu-525
midnightsunpup
Slacko-499.4

All works well on each distro

If you run it from the CLI it should work from /usr/sbin/psip or /usr/sbin/local/psip

Have you tried it running live from a CD?

Sylvander

#155 Post by Sylvander »

1. I decided to reboot without saving the session, so that the installation would be gone.
Got back into Lupu-526, and "Menu->Internet->Psip VOIP + IM client" was in the menu system.
Clicked on that, and PSIP 0.26 appeared. :D
The I guess I must have saved the session right after I installed.
Is it necessary to reboot after installing this?

2. The changes I made to my folders had not been saved.
I think I'll leave them as-is since it's going to be difficult to get Firefox to save to any hidden folder.