Transmission Update

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Fishy

Transmission Update

#1 Post by Fishy »

On my favourite book site (myanonamouse.net) they no longer allow Transmission 2.92 or Lower. :evil: Could someone please make a pet of 2.93 or higher.

Desperate for a certain book. :wink:

mikeslr

Which Puppy? Which Architecture?

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fishy,

There is already a 64-bit transmission 2.92 appimage, https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/T ... sion#files if your Puppy can use it. Just download, make executable and left-click.

Otherwise, transmission would have to be either compiled or assembled. In either case, we'd have to know which Puppy and whether 32 or 64-bit.

mikesLr

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

What Puppy?
I compiled Transmission 2.93 in Dpup Stretch
This is the Qt GUI using Qt4
Seems OK
Attachments
transmission293.jpg
This is the Qt4 version of Transmission 2.93 compiled from source in Stretch Pup
(42.6 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Oscar in England

Fishy

Transmission Update

#4 Post by Fishy »

Hi, thanks for the quick response. This morning I realized that I had posted in the wrong spot. My excuse is 14 hours of fighting through a northern Ontario Blizzard to get home. If a moderator wishes to put the post where it should be, please do it.

Puppy is Tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

Again thank you :D

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

I uploaded a package which you can TEST.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
It is just compiled against system libraries, no upgrade of libevent for example.
It upgrades the transmission-qt executable to 2.93 plus the contents of /usr/share/transmission.
I don't think the other executables are needed if running the Qt version.
Oscar in England

mikeslr

2.93 Currently Only available by compiling

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fishy,

Transmission 2.93 is not yet available either thru pkgs.org or on Ubuntu's repos. The latest from those sources is 2.92 even for Bionic Beaver. Had it been, it might have been possible to build a pet using binaries and libs. But currently, the only way to obtain a 2.93 build is to compile it. You'll find instructions here: https://github.com/transmission/transmi ... ansmission.

Edit: [Stepped away while writing, and OscarTalks uploaded the pet]. The only alternatives to compiling would be if OscarTalks makes his dpup-stretch pet/sfs available and you were to use it under that Puppy, available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 590#974590. Although I could find no reports indicating that the Windows version ran under Wine, that is another possibility.

Will myanonamouse.net accept the use of any other bittorrent? And under what conditions.

mikesLr

mikeslr

Works in Xenialpup64 with some adjustments

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi OscarTalks,

Wondering if it would work under Xenialpup64, I installed it. But the menu entry called 2.84. The 2.84 version was gtk, while your 2.93 version uses qt. pfind showed both versions present, but only one menu entry. So I opened /usr/share/transmission.desktop in geany, saved it as transmission-qt.desktop; then edited that file to read as follows:

Name=Transmission-qt BitTorrent client
GenericName=Transmission-qt
Comment=Download and share files over BitTorrent
Exec=transmission-qt
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/transmission.png
Terminal=false
TryExec=transmission-qt
Type=Application
MimeType=application/x-bittorrent;
Categories=X-Internet-transfer

ldd reported libminiupnp.so.8 missing, but pfind showed libminiupnp.so.10 present. So I opened a terminal at /usr/lib and created a symbolic link, code:

ln -s libminiupnp.so.10 libminiupnp.so.8

If I was remastering, I'd be inclined to remove-builtins the gtk version before installing your qt version. But, then, I'd have to be concerned whether the removal would also remove libminiupnp.so.10 and perhaps other required libraries.

mikesLr

Fishy

Transmission Update

#8 Post by Fishy »

Thanks OscarTalks. Pet worked like a charm! :D