Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#991 Post by playdayz »

FF 9 works fine after copyng some libs into /usr/lib as described in another topic on the forum. A bit strange though
magerlab, 01micko has pointed out that this is not the best way to fix Firefox because some other programs might need the older libraries that are replaced. specifically, we have found that Chromium can have a problem. The "preferred" fix is to uninstall the Firefox 8-Lucid p[et if it is installed and then install the Firefox 9.0.1-2 pet -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 177#594177

It's no big deal, but I am also not sure that Firefox works quite as well by copying the libraries--but everything seems to work with the 9.0.1-2 pet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bigpup, Is there a higher resolution version of the 3-headed Puppies?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to billtoo, there is an sfs of the latest VLC 1.1.13 with Umplayer that seems to work in Lucid -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 545#594545

bigpup

#992 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Bigpup, Is there a higher resolution version of the 3-headed Puppies?
This is the best I could find. A little better resolution than my earlier post. Best I could find was 1024X768.
MtPaint can be used to adjust resolution.
Attachments
kd8g11.jpg
(117.74 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

majorfoo

#993 Post by majorfoo »

bigpup wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Same result in Three-Headed-Dog (529)....works fine.
Speaking of Three-Headed Dog, I am preparing an update. Does anyone have suggestions for a cool background? Thanks.
Excellent picture of three dogs. Have already set it up as my desktop wallpaper. Thanks for great pic

majorfoo

gcmartin

#994 Post by gcmartin »

Speaking of Three-Headed Dog, I am preparing an update. Does anyone have suggestions for a cool background? Thanks.
@Playdayz, Check PM for a document request

Hope this helps

kevin bowers

simple remaster script

#995 Post by kevin bowers »

Finally got around to trying the remaster script. First shot I get this error: (see attachment). OK, it IS a full install. So I tried to mount the SFS; I found I could not

Code: Select all

mkdir /initrd/pup_ro2
but I could create the directories in ROX GUI. Then I could not

mount /root/pup_528.sfs /initrd/pup_ro2
; the sfs file is not a block device. However sh suggested trying

-o looped
I think it was, and that worked, and the script went fine. I wound up with a CD of Puppy 528.004, with the devx and a couple extra programs on it (Textmaker, XMMS), and it booted fine with pfix=ram, I thought all systems were go. However, my test computer will no longer boot to its HDD! It crashes when trying to start X, things are moving on the screen too fast to read them but I think it says something about a couple of files (.XLOAD?) being a read-only filesystem. It's stuck in a loop that starts with "starting X, specs in..." and ends with "If X failed to start, type....". I will probably have to reinstall Puppy (at least it's not Windows!). Fortunately, this is not a computer I have to have working, I use it for testing and sometimes just to play with. But for now, I have to say I don't recommend using Puppy Simple Remaster Script from a full installation.

Edit: it just occurred to me that I never unmounted the sfs file, and ROX didn't know about it so it wouldn't have done so on shutdown. Could this be why the computer will no longer boot to its HDD? Or could the very existence of the directory /initrd or /initrd/pup_ro2 give Puppy indigestion? I'll try umounting the sfs and deleting the file and directories tomorrow and report back.
Attachments
RemasterError.png
(18.23 KiB) Downloaded 1690 times

kevin bowers

#996 Post by kevin bowers »

Success! When I booted the computer to the new CD and looked in /mnt/sda1/initrd/pup_ro2 the .sfs file was no longer there. I merely deleted /mnt/sda1/initrd/pup_ro2 directory , shut down and booted the computer to HDD with no problems. I suggest adding a warning to the error message in the Simple Remaster Script: Remove these directories before shutting down! Other than that running the remaster from a full installation seems to be a screaming success. Next to try it on the big machine with lots of programs installed and see if it will all fit on a DVD!

ferro10n

#997 Post by ferro10n »

Thank you guys for all your hard work! Lucid 5.28-004 hasn't lost sound anymore. :lol:
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

ilanrab

Lucid 528+sound === good

#998 Post by ilanrab »

ferro10n wrote:Thank you guys for all your hard work! Lucid 5.28-004 hasn't lost sound anymore. :lol:
Thank you. I am keeping an ear on this one.
My left ear :wink: .

Cheers,
[b]ir[/b]

Volhout

DVD+R data disk

#999 Post by Volhout »

Yesterday night I had my first encounter of a challenge 528 can't solve.
My wife gave me a DVD+R with photo's from a happening at her local school, and she wanted a copy.

DVD in reader/burner, start Pburn, and Pburn gave me a strange reading. In the size/free bar it indicated 4.8Gbytes free + 2.2 Gbytes occupied (7 Gbyte total). And any action (copy or save to iso file on harddisk) did not work. Stopped Pburn.

Then I tried to mount the drive. Pmount responded with a red "cannot mount" popup.

I started to doubt the DVD (bad disk ?) and rebooted the PC in Windows XP (never even took the disk from the drive), and XP opended the disk, and said it was 4.8Gbytes total standard DVD+R and had 2.2Gbytes occupied. It was a data disk. It copied the 4 folders (with all the JPG pictures in it) fine.

I was stunned, this was the first time 528 could not help me. My experience up to now was that it did anything. Whatever task you throw at it, it simply has a way to solve the problem. (Last challenge was recording protected audio from internet, via audio out - audio in analog cable ... it has tools for everything).

I am not sure if anyone has a clue what this problem is ? Maybe it is a disk format that 528 does not support. If I can help to improve Puppy by debugging, tell me what I can do. I am curious what causes this.

Volhout

Brown Mouse

Re: DVD+R data disk

#1000 Post by Brown Mouse »

Volhout wrote:Yesterday night I had my first encounter of a challenge 528 can't solve.
My wife gave me a DVD+R with photo's from a happening at her local school, and she wanted a copy.

DVD in reader/burner, start Pburn, and Pburn gave me a strange reading. In the size/free bar it indicated 4.8Gbytes free + 2.2 Gbytes occupied (7 Gbyte total). And any action (copy or save to iso file on harddisk) did not work. Stopped Pburn.

Then I tried to mount the drive. Pmount responded with a red "cannot mount" popup.

I started to doubt the DVD (bad disk ?) and rebooted the PC in Windows XP (never even took the disk from the drive), and XP opended the disk, and said it was 4.8Gbytes total standard DVD+R and had 2.2Gbytes occupied. It was a data disk. It copied the 4 folders (with all the JPG pictures in it) fine.

I was stunned, this was the first time 528 could not help me. My experience up to now was that it did anything. Whatever task you throw at it, it simply has a way to solve the problem. (Last challenge was recording protected audio from internet, via audio out - audio in analog cable ... it has tools for everything).

I am not sure if anyone has a clue what this problem is ? Maybe it is a disk format that 528 does not support. If I can help to improve Puppy by debugging, tell me what I can do. I am curious what causes this.

Volhout
I can confirm this.
I thought it may have been because my DVD-R containing jpg's had been burnt using Nero in Windows,however,I can mount CD-R disks without problem.

Snail

#1001 Post by Snail »

playdayz said
ADD: What am I thinking, SFS-Load will install an sfs in a live boot with no save file. Download the sfs, then run Setup -> SFS Load-on-the-fly and click the folder icon to navigate to the sfs, then click Load. You will get a warning but it will work.
Yes but how do you download the sfs files in the first instance? It seems that you would have to setup a pupsave file, which requires a reboot, download the files using quickpet or getsfs and then delete the pupsave. Am I missing something? It's awfully clunky if I'm not. Not very user friendly, so quite out of character for 2HD.

If there is a better way of doing the download, can someone please let me know, so I don't make a factual mistake when I raise this in the 531 thread, as Playdayz recommended.

Sage

#1002 Post by Sage »

DVD+R
Ditto, and DVD+RW. Usually swap drives and OSes until hitting a winning combination! Problem not confined to Puppy suggesting either a SW or FW coding issue abounds? Tried updating your drive FW? Might need a 'doze machine to accomplish, depending on format supplied?

RSH

#1003 Post by RSH »

Snail wrote:playdayz said

Quote:

ADD: What am I thinking, SFS-Load will install an sfs in a live boot with no save file. Download the sfs, then run Setup -> SFS Load-on-the-fly and click the folder icon to navigate to the sfs, then click Load. You will get a warning but it will work.

Yes but how do you download the sfs files in the first instance? It seems that you would have to setup a pupsave file, which requires a reboot, download the files using quickpet or getsfs and then delete the pupsave. Am I missing something? It's awfully clunky if I'm not. Not very user friendly, so quite out of character for 2HD.

If there is a better way of doing the download, can someone please let me know, so I don't make a factual mistake when I raise this in the 531 thread, as Playdayz recommended.
Try this one:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74544

Or use direct link to ibiblio directory (all pets and sfs (i hope so))
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ages-lucid

You can find all other url's at /root/.quickpet/repos.conf. You just have to replace things like $PUPVER, pet${CHAR}, ${REPO_NAME} with its values.

Hope one of this will fit and/or help.

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

playdayz

#1004 Post by playdayz »

Or use direct link to ibiblio directory (all pets and sfs (i hope so))
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ages-lucid
All of the "official" ones, but there are other sfs's available on the forum such as the new one of VLC 1.1.13..

rerwin

Patch 7 for installation to lucid pup 5.2.8-004 ISO.

#1005 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
This patch incorporates the recent wary/woof improvements to package installation and uninstallation on flash media, and woof-consistent updates to sound support (as well as everything in the "lupu528-002" patches). However, it includes mods necessary for lupu that may not apply to wary/woof. In addition, it has some "human factors" improvements in response to user frustration related to getting 3G modems going.

To install the patch package in flash-drive installations, be sure to do at least one "save" in the session before installing. Otherwise the patch will detect that a save has not been done and will direct the user to uninstall it, save, then reinstall it. Afterward you can install the modeswitch package, but then reboot to complete the installation.

Anyone creating a remaster from these packages might also consider cleaning up the geany configuration so that the list of recently viewed files is empty. Go into /root/.config/geany/geany.conf and edit the line, recent_files=... to remove everything on that line after the equal sign. While in there, you could also change "line_wrapping=false" to ...true, if (like me) you prefer geany to automatically wrap the lines. Make this edit when prompted to make any changes to the /tmp/root directory, next after everything is copied from the original CD/ISO-file.

Here are the changes I made:
  • - Added preference for Tenda wireless-N USB adapter: rt2800usb:rt2870sta.
    - Added kgodt's PPM fixes for absence of a file name.
    - Added wary/woof fixes for flash-drive install/uninstall, removing the need for special protections relative to the saving to flash.
    - PPM uninstall now seeks original file version in all layered SFS files, including zdrv (zdrv, so far, omitted from wary/woof).
    - Alsawizard first window now includes the name of the current driver module (card), so user can know whether to change it.
    - Added wary/woof fix for overwriting of symlinks to directories, during package installation.
    - Added wary/woof fix to umount for partitions greater than 9.
    - Added wary/woof RPM/DEB installation support, adding script exploderpm.
    - Changed retention of selected sound card across reboots, to synchronize it with whatever card ALSA actually sets as the default, to support moving of a flash drive among PCs -- It influences ALSA's choice, but then should show whatever the current "card" is, in case the original card is no longer present.
    - Reworked the alsawizard's startup of retrovol to confine it to the alsaconf script and run it independently of the wizard, but invoke it from the main line instead of from an internal procedure that would cause retrovol to crash.
    - Added wary/woof corrections to PPM for file names containing spaces.
    - In the pupdial modem dialer, changed the label of the "Stupid mode" checkbox to "Bypass login", which is what it does -- many new users get frustrated when they delete the login and password default, following their ISP's instructions, and cannot connect, only to be advised to turn on Stupid mode, which is not at all obvious.
    - In pupdial, also ensured that a login and password are passed to wvdial (which requires them) by filling the empty fields with the default values.
Items of note:
  • - The wary/woof PPM dependency-check improvements are omitted from the patch because they are very extensive and may have dependencies that add risk at this point.
    - The addition of RPM/DEB installations has not been tested in lupu, so I request that someone try that.
    - Although there is logic to set the initial sound-mixer values, it is probably never executed because ALSA appears to create the asound.state file before that logic is run, leaving the master volume at 55% instead of the intended 75%.
    - I am collecting a few more small fixes for a patch-8, so please report any problems or practical additional fixes for the building of the "experimental" ISO. Thanks.
UPDATE 1/30/2012: Re-uploaded modeswitch 1.2.2 (after download number 8) to add the appropriate rules file, previously omitted.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-7.pet
Cumulative patches for lupu 528-004. Package manager flash drive fixes.
Sound updates. Human-factors improvements. USB 3.0.
For flash drives, be sure to "save" before installing this package. Reboot afterward.
(167.46 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 21:31, edited 8 times in total.

Sylvander

#1006 Post by Sylvander »

@rerwin
Running Lupu-528.004 with your patch-6 applied, and working well, then...

1. Downloaded your .pet files to /00.

2. Clicked "Save" icon on desktop.

3. Made PupsaveHotBackup to external USB HDD.

4. "Restart X server" to close all programs [3 Firefox-9.0.1 windows + Xfe].

5. Installed lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-7.pet and clicked "Save".

6. Installed usb-modeswitch-1.2.1-20111023-adapted.pet and clicked "Save".

7. Rebooted.
There was an auto-save at shutdown instead of the normal choice offered "Save the session to lupusave.3fs? = Y/N".
Need to go back to your instructions on how to enable that choice.
.................."setting "ask" in the /etc/shutdown_save_mode file" now completed, and working well.

8. I see no problems so far. :D
Except...
Having installed Firefox-9.0.1...
My Firefox windows don't stay in order from left to right on the taskbar; instead they apparently rearrange themselves randomly. :(
Is that a characteristic of the new version of Firefox, or this Lupu?

Also...
9. Still have the problem that the PWidgets calendar does not highlight the present day of the month.

bigpup

#1007 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote: Having installed Firefox-9.0.1...
My Firefox windows don't stay in order from left to right on the taskbar; instead they apparently rearrange themselves randomly. :(
Is that a characteristic of the new version of Firefox, or this Lupu?

Also...
9. Still have the problem that the PWidgets calendar does not highlight the present day of the month.
Firefox:
I would say that is a Firefox bug or feature. Who knows, with the latest updates to Firefox.
They seem to be just releasing and letting us users test.
Pwidgets:
It seems to be a theme bug. I have changed theme setting in Pwidgets and corrected this problem.
Pwidgets->plugins->themes
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#1008 Post by Sylvander »

1. "It seems to be a theme bug. I have changed theme setting in Pwidgets and corrected this problem.
Pwidgets->plugins->themes.
"
Changing themes didn't fix the problem.
In fact, it messed up the ram_bar display [right beneath the calendar].
I made a change in the ram_bar code so it will display values for the MiB and % of RAM used.
The ram_bar disappeared, and some code was displayed in its place.
Rebooted without saving, and all's well and back as it aught to be.
Attachments
00.jpg
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 1257 times
01.jpg
(3.1 KiB) Downloaded 1319 times

bigpup

#1009 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:1. "It seems to be a theme bug. I have changed theme setting in Pwidgets and corrected this problem.
Pwidgets->plugins->themes.
"
Changing themes didn't fix the problem.
In fact, it messed up the ram_bar display [right beneath the calendar].
I made a change in the ram_bar code so it will display values for the MiB and % of RAM used.
The ram_bar disappeared, and some code was displayed in its place.
Rebooted without saving, and all's well and back as it aught to be.
I am using Pwidgets 2.3.6
Just changing theme is not causing this problem for me.
I have seen times when Pwidgets messes up if you,
Run theme selection
Select apply button
Select OK button
Back on Pwidgets main setting window
Select apply and not quit.
Attachments
pwidgets settings.jpg
(39.86 KiB) Downloaded 1293 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#1010 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Select apply and not quit."
That's what I did. :D
When that messed up the ram_bar, I tried choosing other themes [and "apply"] one after the other.
Nothing changed as I applied each theme.
The ram_bar display stayed messed-up. :(
I returned it to its normal state by rebooting without saving the changes.