Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nooby

#976 Post by nooby »

Could it maybe need the usb delay code in the boot?
I am too lazy to look it up hopefully somebody remember.

pusb=wait 6 or something
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

smokey01

#977 Post by smokey01 »

If you mean in the menu.lst booting from GRUB

timeout 10

Will wait for ten seconds before default OS is loaded.

Or is it this one:

usb-storage.delay_use=
[UMS] The delay in seconds before a new device is
scanned for Logical Units (default 5).

Info from here:http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation ... meters.txt
nooby wrote:Could it maybe need the usb delay code in the boot?
I am too lazy to look it up hopefully somebody remember.

pusb=wait 6 or something

Brown Mouse

#978 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:Let's Call This Testing for Now! At least it's on the fast server ;-)

This is a new version from the previous 9.0.1 pet. This is 9.0.1-2. The code below is implemented in this new pet.

Firefox 9.0.1 seems very sensitive to how it is started. One way it starts but it locks up. Another way it doesn't lock up but flashplayer doesn't work. This way seems to work.

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
Firefox 9.0.1-2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firef ... -Lucid.pet

It shouldn't matter whether Firefox 8 is uninstalled or not. And it should be OK to update--for a while at least ;-)
Firefox 9.0.1-2 working well here.No lock-ups and flash now behaving as it should.
Thanks playdayz :)

Edit

Just discovered after two simulations that Chromium 17 is broken after installing the FF 9.0.1-2.pet
I see this in a terminal.

sh-4.1# chromium
/usr/lib/chrome-linux/chrome: /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so: version `NSSUTIL_3.13' not found (required by /usr/lib/libnss3.so)
sh-4.1#

playdayz

#979 Post by playdayz »

Just discovered after two simulations that Chromium 17 is broken after installing the FF 9.0.1-2.pet
sh-4.1# chromium
/usr/lib/chrome-linux/chrome: /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so: version `NSSUTIL_3.13' not found (required by /usr/lib/libnss3.so)
sh-4.1#
Brown_Mouse, Did you uninstall the Firefox 8 pet? I didn't think it mattered but it looks like it does in this case. After you uninstall the FF 8 pet you will need to reinstall the FF 9.0.1-2 pet.

There is also a Chromium 18 pet -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

I have both Chromium 18 and Ff 9.0.1-2 running compatibly, so it can be done.

Brown Mouse

#980 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:
sh-4.1# chromium
sh-4.1#
Brown_Mouse, Did you uninstall the Firefox 8 pet? I didn't think it mattered but it looks like it does in this case. After you uninstall the FF 8 pet you will need to reinstall the FF 9.0.1-2 pet.

There is also a Chromium 18 pet -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

I have both Chromium 18 and Ff 9.0.1-2 running compatibly, so it can be done.
playdayz

Yes that fixed it!!Reverted to a backup savefile,uninstalled FF8 and then installed FF9.0.1-2

I keep my Firefox .mozilla directory on /mnt/home and link it to root but for some strange reason this got wiped and I lost all my bookmarks.Not sure if that was tied in with updating but luckily I had a backup.

Also updated to Chromium 18 and that is running well.

Thanks again.

tony

528 on usb3

#981 Post by tony »

Hi,
Ive tried the suggestion to put "usb-storage.delay_use= 2" in the kernel list but it did not work, even with a time delay of 120.

I am using grub4dos on the usb30 stick and it boots into menu.list, also on the stick.
It fails and drops into a terminal. At this stage plugging the stick into a usb 2.0 port is registered but into the usb 3.0 port it is not.

Anyone using a usb 3.0 stick in a usb 3.0 port please advise.

Regards Tony.

James C

#982 Post by James C »

Just upgraded Firefox to 9.0.1-2 on my full install of 528 ..... appears to be working fine.Kept my bookmarks, only lost some saved passwords.

James C

#983 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Just upgraded Firefox to 9.0.1-2 on my full install of 528 ..... appears to be working fine.Kept my bookmarks, only lost some saved passwords.
Same result in Three-Headed-Dog (529)....works fine.

playdayz

#984 Post by playdayz »

Speaking of Three-Headed Dog, I am preparing an update. Does anyone have suggestions for a cool background? Thanks.

kevin bowers

#985 Post by kevin bowers »

playdayz wrote:
Speaking of Three-Headed Dog, I am preparing an update. Does anyone have suggestions for a cool background? Thanks.
Wasn't Cerberus the three-headed dog that guarded the entrance to the underworld? Images should be easy to find.
http://www.google.com/search?q=cerberus ... 80&bih=835

aarf

#986 Post by aarf »

kevin bowers wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Wasn't Cerberus the three-headed dog that guarded the entrance to the underworld? Images should be easy to find.
http://www.google.com/search?q=cerberus ... 80&bih=835
let me guess its to stop goldie locks from accidentally entering if she makes a wrong turn in the woods?

magerlab

#987 Post by magerlab »

to save your settings don't forget to use Firefox Sync:)

FF 9 works fine after copyng some libs into /usr/lib as described in another topic on the forum. A bit strange though

Amgine

#988 Post by Amgine »

Thanks everyone, I upgraded Firefox also, its working fine.

bigpup

#989 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
Attachments
kd9g11.jpg
(47.13 KiB) Downloaded 1424 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sage

#990 Post by Sage »

suggestions for a cool background
Black! Great contrast, saves bytes, keeps maximum number of pixels switched off, saves power, extends screen life, say no more...

playdayz

#991 Post by playdayz »

FF 9 works fine after copyng some libs into /usr/lib as described in another topic on the forum. A bit strange though
magerlab, 01micko has pointed out that this is not the best way to fix Firefox because some other programs might need the older libraries that are replaced. specifically, we have found that Chromium can have a problem. The "preferred" fix is to uninstall the Firefox 8-Lucid p[et if it is installed and then install the Firefox 9.0.1-2 pet -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 177#594177

It's no big deal, but I am also not sure that Firefox works quite as well by copying the libraries--but everything seems to work with the 9.0.1-2 pet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bigpup, Is there a higher resolution version of the 3-headed Puppies?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to billtoo, there is an sfs of the latest VLC 1.1.13 with Umplayer that seems to work in Lucid -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 545#594545

bigpup

#992 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Bigpup, Is there a higher resolution version of the 3-headed Puppies?
This is the best I could find. A little better resolution than my earlier post. Best I could find was 1024X768.
MtPaint can be used to adjust resolution.
Attachments
kd8g11.jpg
(117.74 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

majorfoo

#993 Post by majorfoo »

bigpup wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Excellent picture of three dogs. Have already set it up as my desktop wallpaper. Thanks for great pic

majorfoo

gcmartin

#994 Post by gcmartin »

@Playdayz, Check PM for a document request

Hope this helps

kevin bowers

simple remaster script

#995 Post by kevin bowers »

Finally got around to trying the remaster script. First shot I get this error: (see attachment). OK, it IS a full install. So I tried to mount the SFS; I found I could not

mkdir /initrd/pup_ro2
but I could create the directories in ROX GUI. Then I could not

mount /root/pup_528.sfs /initrd/pup_ro2
; the sfs file is not a block device. However sh suggested trying

-o looped
I think it was, and that worked, and the script went fine. I wound up with a CD of Puppy 528.004, with the devx and a couple extra programs on it (Textmaker, XMMS), and it booted fine with pfix=ram, I thought all systems were go. However, my test computer will no longer boot to its HDD! It crashes when trying to start X, things are moving on the screen too fast to read them but I think it says something about a couple of files (.XLOAD?) being a read-only filesystem. It's stuck in a loop that starts with "starting X, specs in..." and ends with "If X failed to start, type....". I will probably have to reinstall Puppy (at least it's not Windows!). Fortunately, this is not a computer I have to have working, I use it for testing and sometimes just to play with. But for now, I have to say I don't recommend using Puppy Simple Remaster Script from a full installation.

Edit: it just occurred to me that I never unmounted the sfs file, and ROX didn't know about it so it wouldn't have done so on shutdown. Could this be why the computer will no longer boot to its HDD? Or could the very existence of the directory /initrd or /initrd/pup_ro2 give Puppy indigestion? I'll try umounting the sfs and deleting the file and directories tomorrow and report back.
Attachments
RemasterError.png
(18.23 KiB) Downloaded 1690 times