Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#946 Post by playdayz »

Chromium 18

The latest build of Chromium, the open-source basis of Google Chrome and Srware Iron. Probably will not work on Athlon XP or P3.

Chromium 18 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

don570 Mtpaint 3.40 -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71332

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get the latest list of files in the Puppy Lucid PPM, Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 23:51, edited 3 times in total.

James C

#947 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:James C, May I see your pet of Iron 16? I am still having some problem. Thanks.
Still no problems here.Check your PM for download link.

James C

#948 Post by James C »

528.004 live pfix=ram......Chromium 18 pet is a no go on Athlon XP. "Illegal instruction".....

James C

#949 Post by James C »

James C wrote:528.004 live pfix=ram......Chromium 18 pet is a no go on Athlon XP. "Illegal instruction".....
Decided to try the latest Google Chrome direct from Google."Illegal instruction" again . But...........
Attachments
latest Chrome-528.004.png
(39.39 KiB) Downloaded 1364 times

James C

#950 Post by James C »

Now if I can remember what I tweaked........ :lol:

If so I'll make a Chrome pet and then tweak your Chromium 18 and see what happens.

James C

#951 Post by James C »

Final browser post....burned out on browsers... :lol: Chrome 16.... working good. Chromium 18...no go. Both on Athlon XP box.But...... Chromium 18 installed and working fine on a P4 box.
Time for a big juicy cheeseburger.... :)

Snail

getsfs

#952 Post by Snail »

Using 3HD-529, I downloaded the 528-004 ISO today and installed to a USB using Bootflash. The USB boots OK on two computers. I then tried to download LibreOffice and Skype SFSs. I get the message that Puppy must be installed to use an SFS. It is installed! How could you use SFSGet if it wasn't? OK I haven't made a pupsave yet but by their very nature SFS files don't reside in the pupsave, so why the message? I also got a message that the download might take a while but as far as I could tell nothing happened as far as downloading was concerned, the messages just disappeared when I hit "OK". Is this what is supposed to happen? If so, a more informative message would be good for the user experience.

bigpup

#953 Post by bigpup »

I think you need to make a save file and boot using it, so a completed frugal install is detected.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#954 Post by playdayz »

Snail, Bigpup is right.

James C, I am really puzzled. Sometimes Chrome 16 and Iron 16 work, but other times they crash. It seems to be concerned with libgconf and dbus. I am about to try your pet. On the P4 machine where they work, have you done anything else, installs, etc.? I am also burned out on browsers. Unfortunately, your 16 pet gave the same trouble as before--crashed. I am putting the effort on the back burner as something too weird to deal with ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pmusic_Upgrade-Lucid528-002

For testing. The most recent version of Pmusic 2.3.0, plus a new build of the most recent ffmpeg multimedia libraries 0.8.9 with some new configure options from shinobar.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... 28-002.pet

Thanks.

Streamripper is included.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 17:13, edited 3 times in total.

James C

#955 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: James C, I am really puzzled. Sometimes Chrome 16 and Iron 16 work, but other times they crash. It seems to be concerned with libgconf and dbus. I am about to try your pet. On the P4 machine where they work, have you done anything else, installs, etc.?
I generally assemble pets and do the initial testing running live pfix=ram (with 528.004 in this case) to attempt to eliminate variables.Then I do some tests in real installs.
No problems here with either Iron 16 or Chrome 16 (not tested much..got it put together in the middle of the night :lol: ).
The only common thing on the installs I can think of is the libgconf update...that was necessary because of Firefox problems.Other than that,the other pet installs probably varies.

James C

#956 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: I am also burned out on browsers. Unfortunately, your 16 pet gave the same trouble as before--crashed. I am putting the effort on the back burner as something too weird to deal with ;-)
That's why I prefer to stick with SeaMonkey........ :)

playdayz

#957 Post by playdayz »

The only common thing on the installs I can think of is the libgconf update...that was necessary because of Firefox problems.
James C, Ah-ha, What libgconf update did you use please? And what Firefox problems? Thanks.
That's why I prefer to stick with SeaMonkey........
Yes, I admire SM for several reasons. I just wish it were faster. But, SM in Puppy still opens faster than Chrome in Windows 7, on the same computer!

James C

#958 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
The only common thing on the installs I can think of is the libgconf update...that was necessary because of Firefox problems.
James C, Ah-ha, What libgconf update did you use please? And what Firefox problems? Thanks.
The libgconf2-4_3.1.6 pet. from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 857#556857

The dreaded "Firefox is already running" problem..... ie kept running in the background after exiting. The libgconf2-4_3.1.6 pet solved it.

Snail

Getsfs and pupsave

#959 Post by Snail »

The message about installing puppy is misleading then. The problem is not having a pupsave, not installation.

There are a number of people who prefer to run without a pupsave. I usually do have one but, in this case, I was hoping to avoid it, because I wanted the USB to be portable to other computers. Hence this request:

Is it really necessary to have this restriction? I note that it is now possible to load an sfs without having a pupsave, at least experimentally. So the restriction appears only to refer to the download part of Getsfs. Is it possible to review this?

Sorry if this seems demanding - again. Please only look at this if you have the time and it looks like fun!

playdayz

#960 Post by playdayz »

The message about installing puppy is misleading then. The problem is not having a pupsave, not installation.
I understand Snail. I often run live myself. But this is beyond my capabilities--it is something Barry would have to change. 01micko wrote the SFS Get in Quickpet/Slackpet, so he might have some suggestions--the place for that would be in the Slacko 5.3.1 bugs thread. Thanks.

ADD: What am I thinking, SFS-Load will install an sfs in a live boot with no save file. Download the sfs, then run Setup -> SFS Load-on-the-fly and click the folder icon to navigate to the sfs, then click Load. You will get a warning but it will work.

zigbert

#961 Post by zigbert »

playdayz wrote: Pmusic_Upgrade-Lucid528-002

For testing. The most recent version of Pmusic 2.3.0, plus a new build of the most recent ffmpeg multimedia libraries 0.8.9 with some new configure options from shinobar.
I could not find streamripper in the package, and Pmusic won't offer it's best.
  • playback of twice as many radio-stations.
    Now 11000 in the db.
  • show meta-information of tracks while streaming radio.
  • Download stream, split it up to files (tracks) and name the files by meta information.
    This is managed by the new Radio-Hits module.

Sigmund

playdayz

#962 Post by playdayz »

Thanks Sigmund. That's why we test. Can you recommend which version of streamripper to include?
zigbert wrote:
playdayz wrote: Pmusic_Upgrade-Lucid528-002

I could not find streamripper in the package, and Pmusic won't offer it's best.
  • playback of twice as many radio-stations.
    Now 11000 in the db.
  • show meta-information of tracks while streaming radio.
  • Download stream, split it up to files (tracks) and name the files by meta information.
    This is managed by the new Radio-Hits module.

Sigmund
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 23:17, edited 3 times in total.

bigpup

#963 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz wrote:ADD: What am I thinking, SFS-Load will install an sfs in a live boot with no save file. Download the sfs, then run Setup -> SFS Load-on-the-fly and click the folder icon to navigate to the sfs, then click Load. You will get a warning but it will work.
I think the issue is with Quickpet->SFS Get.
It will not do the download of the SFS file without having a save file.
It will not work for downloading if you boot a live CD with option pfix=ram.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#964 Post by playdayz »

I think the issue is with Quickpet->SFS Get.
Yes, what you say is true Bigpup, but SFS-Load can work, can't it? One can download to any available disk, or download previously. It is a way to use an sfs without creating a save file.

zigbert

#965 Post by zigbert »

The latest version (1.64.6) of streamripper is from March 2009, so the choice should be easy :D

Sigmund