Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kevin bowers

Link to IU4 is broken!

#901 Post by kevin bowers »

I finally got around to trying to download and install Instant Update 004, but the link to it on the first page of this thread took me to Instant Update 002! Am I the first to try the IU link? Or did everybody else forget to procrastinate, just immediately use the link in the body of the thread somewhere around page 50? I'll look for it and try it.

Edit: I did not find a link to IU004 anywhere, only to 528.004.iso. Not in this thread, not on ibiblio or nluug. Only the broken link on the first page. Please help!

James C

#902 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
But reading more in the same thread it appears that libgconf2-4_3.1.6 pet solved the problem and Chrome/Iron started working.
Good. That's it. The recent pets assume that the libgconf from Instant Update 002 is installed. (I didn't know that could result in illegal instruction though.)
I've always heard that the memory is the first thing to go.....

What were we talking about? ;-)

Maybe my memory isn't totally gone yet. :lol:

Lucid 528.004 live pfix=ram on the Athlon XP box.Installed Chromium 16 from Quickpet.A hint, I'm posting this from SeaMonkey.

After Chromium wouldn't run I installed libgconf and no change.
Attachments
ppm.png
(11.23 KiB) Downloaded 1376 times
lucid 528.004.png
(9.44 KiB) Downloaded 1388 times

James C

#903 Post by James C »

Uninstalled Chromium and libconf....installed latest Iron 15 pet.
Attachments
iron 15.png
(155.25 KiB) Downloaded 1363 times

James C

#904 Post by James C »

Testing is fun..... :lol:

Geoffrey

#905 Post by Geoffrey »

James C wrote:Testing is fun..... :lol:
I installed Iron a little earlier on, it seems to not like Facebook and my bank, certificate issues, are you getting any problems with it?

I like the speed that it runs at, but it looks like I'll be back with Firefox at lest to do my banking.

Sage

#906 Post by Sage »

mikesLr:
Good Morning and Merry Christmastide to you, too!
Oh no, I haven't overlooked anything. Offshore you have the bones of salvation on a tiny island in the Caribbean. Yes, that's the one - the one which achieves ~99% literacy and had the best medical services in the world. The same one that Mr Sam has bullied mercilessly for decades. With a bit of tweaking it could become paradise. Mindless increases in consumption of goods and services is killing our planet.
It's about time even Keynesians & his adversaries got to grips with the fact that the true costs of equality of education and compassionate health care for all only permits salaries ~$10/month - there's no more left over. With true equality and highest quality of educational standards in pondsville, they'd be able to read the ancient philosophers, who, to a man (possibly also woman), agree that redistribution of wealth (and resources) is the most important task confronting H.sapiens. I would go further and say it is the only hope for civilisation. Samsland is new, though and has a very long way to go. Our own three millennial history may well not be a suitable model. Perhaps Oz will turn out better...

Just orf to run pd's alt-iso and to engage in some mindless capitalist excesses and some religious-inspired bigotry. Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!

playdayz

#907 Post by playdayz »

Lucid 528.004 live pfix=ram on the Athlon XP box.Installed Chromium 16 from Quickpet.A hint, I'm posting this from SeaMonkey.
I see. I thought the illegal instruction might mean something other than libgconf. What it might mean is that Iron and Chrome 16, when they are released, might also not run on P3 and Athlon XP. I do have a P3 to test on, but I am going out of town for a few days.

Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night.

majorfoo

#908 Post by majorfoo »

duplicate post
Last edited by majorfoo on Sun 25 Dec 2011, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#909 Post by majorfoo »

James C wrote: Lucid 528.004 live pfix=ram on the Athlon XP box.Installed Chromium 16 from Quickpet.A hint, I'm posting this from SeaMonkey.
FYI - The Seamonkey-2.6 from Saluki also works in Luci-001 (3HD) and Lucid 528

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-731d6dcc.html

ferro10n

Re: Link to IU4 is broken!

#910 Post by ferro10n »

kevin bowers wrote:The link on the first page of this thread took me to Instant Update 002! I did not find a link to IU004 anywhere, only to 528.004.iso.
Confirmed, at the moment of writing this post the instant update 004 link in the first page leads to a file named instant unpdate 002 which size is about 4MB. Maybe it's actually IU004 but forgot to rename it? :lol:
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

otropogo

#911 Post by otropogo »

Sage wrote:mikesLr:
... Offshore you have the bones of salvation on a tiny island in the Caribbean. Yes, that's the one - the one which achieves ~99% literacy and had the best medical services in the world. The same one that Mr Sam has bullied mercilessly for decades. With a bit of tweaking it could become paradise. ..
Cold War/Russian, East German support played a big role in creating this educational/medical advantage.

Given the racist, homophobic, and authoritarian tendencies still prevalent in this society, one has to question the depth of the educational foundation.
...the true costs of equality of education and compassionate health care for all only permits salaries ~$10/month - there's no more left over.
"Left over" from what? Without ownership of property, or freedom of speech or choice, the calculation is meaningless. You can't eat money...
With true equality and highest quality of educational standards in pondsville, they'd be able to read the ancient philosophers, who, to a man (possibly also woman), agree that redistribution of wealth (and resources) is the most important task confronting H.sapiens. ...
Do they really? It seems to me that the concept of "wealth" is a corollary of its concentration. So to "redistribute" it is an oxymoron. It only makes sense within a "wealthy" minority group that has appropriated the resources of the majority. Global "redistribution of wealth" is hard for me to imagine. Mao's backyard smithy disaster and the Red Guards fiasco come to mind.

Big government has amply proven its inability to manage national economies and even technologies, from the banking system to nuclear power. Does any thinking person still believe that marching morons in red neck scarves are going to save the world for or from humanity?

The most important task facing humanity in my view is to learn to recognize deliberate misinformation and its practitioners. Otherwise, civilization may not survive much longer.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

Aitch

#912 Post by Aitch »

The most important task facing humanity in my view is to learn to recognize deliberate misinformation and its practitioners. Otherwise, civilization may not survive much longer.
Gets a thumbs up from me...not wishing to detract from the thread's focus/intent

Aitch :)

Jasper

#913 Post by Jasper »

Hi Flash, Sage, otropogo and whom it may concern,

This thread is entitled Lucid Puppy 5.2.8

The deletion of extensive and extraneous thread-clogging clutter seems due!

My regards

gcmartin

#914 Post by gcmartin »

@Playdayz, Nice. Check your PM

bigpup

#915 Post by bigpup »

Found this reference to Firefox 9 issue.
Seems Firefox 9 update has same issue Firefox 8 had.
Firefox 9 -- next version, same game as FF 8.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74623
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

turboscrew

#916 Post by turboscrew »

So is there an instant update 004 that could be applied to full install the way described: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=97 (bigpup)?

Do I still need to add the libgconf2-4_3.1.6.pet that playdayz talks about here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=111

do these "chromium-type" web browsers:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=652
work then?

Even with athlon XP (1900+ or 2100+)?

Is the update 4 recommended?

How can I find if I already have some update?
(Installed Lupu 5.2.8 full install about a month ago.)

mavrothal

#917 Post by mavrothal »

playdayz wrote:
I see. I thought the illegal instruction might mean something other than libgconf. What it might mean is that Iron and Chrome 16, when they are released, might also not run on P3 and Athlon XP.
illegal instruction usually means that your processor is not fully i686 compatible. Both iron and chromium use the full i686 instruction set.
I'm not sure if early athlon XP were i686 or not but "cat /proc/cpuinfo" will tell you the processor you have and google search if it is i686 or not.
"uname -p" will tell you how the kernel sees your processor. If not i686 iron/chromium will not run. Try the original google-chrome that is i386
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jim3630

#918 Post by jim3630 »

otropogo wrote: The most important task facing humanity in my view is to learn to recognize deliberate misinformation and its practitioners. Otherwise, civilization may not survive much longer.
otropogo chalk one up by deleting your post. Margaret T was the mother of the big bang of banking in GB in the 80's while holding hands with the west lead to a financial crisis everywhere except the far east. Profiting far east countries are quite happy to be laughing their way to the banks now.

as long as individuals fail to take responsibility and don't sign on the dotted line for credit they cannot afford and blame government they will repeat the same mistakes.

turboscrew

#919 Post by turboscrew »

mavrothal wrote:
playdayz wrote:
I see. I thought the illegal instruction might mean something other than libgconf. What it might mean is that Iron and Chrome 16, when they are released, might also not run on P3 and Athlon XP.
illegal instruction usually means that your processor is not fully i686 compatible. Both iron and chromium use the full i686 instruction set.
I'm not sure if early athlon XP were i686 or not but "cat /proc/cpuinfo" will tell you the processor you have and google search if it is i686 or not.
"uname -p" will tell you how the kernel sees your processor. If not i686 iron/chromium will not run. Try the original google-chrome that is i386
Sorry, but it's hard to find something specific in a 62-page thread. Even the search is not very helpful.

I think someone somewhere hinted that there might be a i586 compilation. I wonder if it worked.

Anyway, I looks like with or without the libgconf2 I'm not going to have working chrome or iron? At least not a newer version?
And the instant updates are not for me?

bigpup

#920 Post by bigpup »

From Chrome Help.
http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/an ... swer=95411
Chrome system requirements:

Linux requirements
Operating system:
Ubuntu 10.04+
Debian 6+
OpenSuSE 11.3+
Fedora Linux 14
Processor:
Intel Pentium 3 / Athlon 64 or later
Free disk space 100 MB
RAM 128 MB
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)