Manually saved the session...[OK]

Rebooted, and chose to not save the session [already saved]...[OK]

Once back into the desktop, the speaker icon was GONE! :(

2. Here's the text in the terminal window from running the pmodemdiag command:

Code: Select all

# pmodemdiag
cat: /etc/puppyversion: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/pmodemdiag: line 20: [: -ge: unary operator expected
 Running PupScan to get hardware IDs and drivers - please close its window manually.
 Collecting various modem-related files into an archive tarball:
  pmodemdiag-20111114.tar.gz.
ls: cannot access /dev/char/116:16: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /dev/char/116:26: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /dev/char/116:17: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/pcmC0D2c: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/midiC1D0: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/pcmC1D2p: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/hwC0D0: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/seq: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/hwC1D0: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/pcmC1D1p: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /dev/snd/controlC0: Input/output error
 Diagnostic file collection complete.
 Tarball pmodemdiag-20111114.tar.gz can be attached to a posting or personal
  message (PM) in the Puppy forum, for analysis of dialup modem issues.
 The content can be found in /tmp/pmodemdiag-20111114/.
# 
3. The above created a folder = /tmp/pmodemdiag-20111114
Couldn't find any pmodemdiag-20111114.tar.gz file.
So...
I moved the above folder to /02, and made a tar.gz archive of it, and will attempt to upload it here:
[Seems to have succeeded]
Last edited by Sylvander on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#602 Post by playdayz »

Sylvander, It might be good to start from scratch.

Is there a problem with the speaker if you use lupu-528.iso from the first page of this thread--booting as a Live CD and not updating any lupusave files?

Can you then shutdown and create a lupusave file from that Live CD boot and then reboot without a problem?

After rebooting can you then install the Instant Update 002 from the first page of this thread--does that cause a problem?

Can you then reboot with that Instant Update 002 installed--does that cause the problem?

Sylvander

#603 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Sylvander, It might be good to start from scratch"
Yes, I had that in mind, but when the lupusave restore seemed to work I just ran with that.
Do you think starting afresh is the thing to do at this point?

2. "Is there a problem with the speaker if you use lupu-528.iso from the first page of this thread--booting as a Live CD and not updating any lupusave files?"
Don't know yet, haven't ever tried that so far.
The update seemed to go OK...
Until this problem appeared out of the blue.

3. "Can you then shutdown and create a lupusave file from that Live CD boot and then reboot without a problem?"
I'll try that ASAP.

4. "After rebooting can you then install the Instant Update 002 from the first page of this thread--does that cause a problem?"
Originally, I did make the mistake of installing the 002 update...
To a lupusave updated from Lupu-526 to Lupu-528.002...
And it seemed to have caused no problem [you reported that it wouldn't, so I felt OK about that].

5. "Can you then reboot with that Instant Update 002 installed--does that cause the problem?"
(a) You want me to deliberately install the 002 update, even though that's not a thing that aught to be done [it's redundant]...
So as to check whether it causes a problem?

(b) I aught to first wait a while, using the new/fresh lupusave made using Lupu-528.002...
To first see that it's working reliably.
And only once satisfied that it's working well and relibly...
Only then apply the 002 update, OK?

playdayz

#604 Post by playdayz »

b) I aught to first wait a while, using the new/fresh lupusave made using Lupu-528.002...
To first see that it's working reliably.
And only once satisfied that it's working well and relibly...
Only then apply the 002 update, OK?
Not exactly. I recommend beginning with the lupu-528.iso from the first message of this thread--that is the original (not the updated lupu-528-002.iso). Then, as you say, use it a while and make a save file and see that everything is OK, then install the Instant Update 002 and use that for a while.

Sylvander

#605 Post by Sylvander »

OK, understood. :)

rerwin

Patch for installation onto Instant Update 002

#606 Post by rerwin »

Here are some additional fixes to make 5.2.8 even more perfect:
  • Shutdown addition to prevent hanging related to networked drives
    Addition of support for USB3 devices
    Correction to ensure retention of selected sound driver during bootup
    Correction to ensure sound module loaded at bootup before being used
    Correction of retrovol/volume-icon restoration in alsawizard, as done in wary & slacko (woof), to restore the icon for the sound test
    Addition of ALSA version data for alsa-info script
    Addition of time tags to udev event (udevtrace) logging
    Updates to pmodemdiag script, to add capture of ALSA-device list and to clarify messages
Besides these fixes, the usb_modeswitch function has been upgraded to version 1.2.0 and data base 20111023, described here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 834#582834

Please test the network-drive shutdown fix, USB3 and the usb_modeswitch upgrade, to verify they are qualified to be included in a future Instant Update. Sylvander, please try this to see if it helps with your speaker/volume icon problem. Thank you.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-1.pet
Fixes for shutdown, sound, USB3, etc.
Requires Instant Update 002 already installed (or included in iso file).
(58.71 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 23:00, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

#607 Post by rerwin »

Sylvander,
Thanks for the diag file. It seems that you missed seeing the pmodemdiag file in your root directory. The /tmp/pmodemdiag... directory is so you can see what was collected. No need to compress that into a tarball. To help avoid that confusion, I have been more explicit in the messages returned by pmodemdiag, in the patch, above.

Anyway, the xerrs.log shows that retrovol crashed during bootup, so that the speaker icon should not have appeared. This suggests that retrovol ran before the driver was loaded or ready. The patch may cause it to start a little later in the process, so might avoid running prematurely. It uses the same technique as used in woof, and therefore wary, slacko and all the others.
Richard

playdayz

#608 Post by playdayz »

Flashplayer

Adobe has moved the flashplayer.so binary so the Get Flashplayer script no longer works (nor does the automatic install-flashplayer on first run of a browser).

This program by 01micko is not as automatic but it should be future proof, since if they moved the binary once they might move it again.

People might want to run this every week or two since Flashplayer is changing so often these days.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... ll-0.1.pet

Sylvander

#609 Post by Sylvander »

rerwin...
1. I installed your patch using the PET file [confirmed in PPM], but I see no change.
i.e.
(a) Still no speaker icon, even after running the Alsa sound wizard, and rebooting [the changes to the session were auto-saved at reboot].

(b) Still the Alsamixer window flashes on-screen then off.

(c) Still the Gnome Alsamixer window is blank.

2. Should I run pmodemdiag again?
Found the previous .tar.gz file in /root and deleted it.

3. Perhaps I aught to restore the backup lupusave->[produces a working system] and only THEN apply your patch?

Sylvander

#610 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Perhaps I aught to restore the backup lupusave->[produces a working system] and only THEN apply your patch?"
That's done, and so far all's looking good. :D
Here's hoping it stays that way.
Will report back if it doesn't.

Sylvander

#611 Post by Sylvander »

1. Oh dear! The problem has returned. :(

2. What to do now? :?

Jades

#612 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:The GetFlash script has been inoperative for two days because, I believe, Adobe must have moved the location of the flashplayer binary. 01micko has fixed it quickly.
I was wondering why it was repeatedly spamming me with splash screens until I killed the task. Will install it when I get home.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

grimoire

#613 Post by grimoire »

Yes! flashplayer is one of the main problem in linux.

playdayz

#614 Post by playdayz »

The GetFlash script has been inoperative for two days because, I believe, Adobe must have moved the location of the flashplayer binary. 01micko has fixed it quickly.

I was wondering why it was repeatedly spamming me with splash screens until I killed the task. Will install it when I get home.
Yes. The easiest way to kill the multiple splash screens was to restart X. I was testing something the first time it happened and I about died, thinking "How could I have caused this?!" But I finally figured there was no relation. Whew.

playdayz

#615 Post by playdayz »

Release Candidate for Super Multimedia Upgrade 002 for Lucid 5.2.8

This has been withdrawn because of a problem with the newer mplayer leaving a box on the screen after selecting from a DVD menu. The "good half" of the upgrade is available as Pmusic-Upgrade which provides Pmusic 2.2.2 and the necessary dependencies for those who want to use the cool new features of Pmusic 2.2.2.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 838#583838

Also available int he first message of this thread.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 22:07, edited 3 times in total.

rerwin

#616 Post by rerwin »

Sylvander wrote:1. Oh dear! The problem has returned. :(

2. What to do now? :?
From your comments and diag file I conclude that you have installed many packages and then upgraded from 526. Did you upgrade to get to 526? This presents a confounding situation, in that much can have happened that will not be revealed by the usual diags. I think we need to try to start fresh to determine whether your particular sound driver is a factor.

Please create a clean puppy and try that for a while, to see if you can break it:
- Boot from CD or a frugal installation of the original lupu 528 iso, with pfix=ram (or pupsave 0, if that is an option).
- Immediately reboot and create a pupsave file (so that any IU2 file removals will stay removed).
- Then install Instant Update 002 and rerwin_patch-1
- Immediately reboot.
- After waiting 5 minutes without doing anything else, run pmodemdiag and rename its tar.gz file slightly, to make it unique.
- Assuming the speaker icon is still there, do some reboots and try alsawizard (always running it to completion - woof-woof) to see if the icon will disappear.
- Whenever the speaker disappears -- other than during running of alsawizard -- immediately get another pmodemdiag file.
- If the speaker icon behaves as you expect, try doing more of your usual activities that lead up to its disappearance. That could include installing some of the packages you need, but try only a few at a time, interleaved with reboots and alsawizard.

And then there is a desperation measure: list the names of all files in the pupsave file. The command to do this might be:
ls -AR /initrd/pup_rw > /tmp/ls_pup_rw.txt
Then gzip the txt file for attachment. That will entail looking for "a needle in a haystack", but it might show some left-over files from the upgrade process(es) that could confuse puppy.

I think our best course is to methodically (tediously) add to your pupsave until we find what breaks retrovol. BTW, do you ever cancel/bail out of alsawizard? That could be important.
Richard

Sylvander

#617 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Did you upgrade to get to 526?"
Yes.
526 behaved pretty well.
When I upgraded to the 1st 528 version is when the problems began.
Also having problems when I upgraded from 526 to 528.002

2. "do you ever cancel/bail out of alsawizard?"
No, I always complete the procedure.

3. ASAP I'll follow your instructions as closely as I can, and report back.

elcurita

12 Reboots = Success!!!

#618 Post by elcurita »

I applied the multimedia upgrade and the problems with sound and icon missing are gone.I have booted 12 times and all is fine.This is the way I installed Puppy: Lupu 528-002 iso, reboot to create save file,install rerwin pacht IU002.pet, reboot, install Multimedia_Upgrade-Lucid528-002.pet . Reboots later I still have sound and icons and Pmusic working.Thank you!!!!
By the way working in frugal hard-disk install and USB install.Thank you again.

EDIT=One by one the USB sticks are loosing sound and pmusic and gnome player started failing, the hard disk frugal install still woks. It must be a USB thing.
Last edited by elcurita on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#619 Post by playdayz »

I applied the multimedia upgrade and the problems with sound and icon missing are gone.I have booted 12 times and all is fine.This is the way I installed Puppy: Lupu 528-002 iso, reboot to create save file,install rerwin pacht IU002.pet, reboot, install Multimedia_Upgrade-Lucid528-002.pet .14 Reboots later I still have sound and icons and Pmusic working.
That is great news. Thanks.
One by one the USB sticks are loosing sound and pmusic and gnome player started failing, the hard disk frugal install still woks. It must be a USB thing.
And that could be a clue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google Chrome 15

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

And that could be a clue.

bigpup

#620 Post by bigpup »

elcurita wrote:One by one the USB sticks are loosing sound and pmusic and gnome player started failing, the hard disk frugal install still woks. It must be a USB thing.
What format are USB sticks?
How is save setup on USB sticks?
Save file?
Use entire USB drive?
How much free space?
Anything you were doing just before you lost sound?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)