Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#571 Post by playdayz »

Change. I am withdrawing the Multimedia ISO (which hasn't been released) and the Instant Update for Multimedia. One reason is to simplify--two options were one too many. Plus there were a couple of problems reported with the Multimedia components, that were not problems with the regular update and ISO. So now there is only the regular update and ISO (to be released soon). if you have been using the Super Multimedia Upgrade there should be no problems in continuing to use it--after the udpated ISO is released I will revisit making an updated Multimedia Upgrade. Thanks for your help with the testing.

Here is the current version of the Updated ISO.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.002.iso
fa51ceceba878461f013afd6dbe4b915

The only change from previous is that the gnome-mplayer %U glitch is fixed.

Possible Issue: If you lose video after installing the Update, please click the play icon on the desktop to open gnome-mplayer, then choose Edit -> Preferences, click the drop-down Video Output menu, and change to x11 (from xv). This is a no-win situation because DVD menus do not work well in x11. The reason for using xv video as default is that all sources agree that it is higher quality, plus the DVD menus work with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info: There is currently, since yesterday, a problem with the automatic Flashplayer installers. Evidently Adobe moved the location of the flashplayer binary. 01micko maintains the GetFlash script and he knows about this.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 20:54, edited 9 times in total.

gcmartin

#572 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:Hey gcmartin and others having trouble with Pmusic in the multimedia update iso, please try this pet of Pmusic 2.2.0. thanks.
Nope. Same behavior. on the 002M ISO live media system.

bigpup

#573 Post by bigpup »

From the Pmusic topic:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 694#213694
note for installing Pmusic 2.2.1 Please (re)move /root/.pmusic before install if your system runs a older Pmusic than 2.2.0
Could not doing this be causing the problem with using Pmusic 2.2.1 in the multimedia update?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

elcurita

No sound No alsa mixer icon

#574 Post by elcurita »

Greetings good people: I have 2 Dell optiplex gx270 booting from USB stick. I have 5 users wich means 5 USB sticks Frugal Install in all of them.These boxes have the AC97 Audio Controller.I have installed Puppylinux 5..28 multmedia upgrade in all of then at least 3 times because of the following:
After the third boot aprox. we lost the following: Sound,AlsaMixer Icon,Clicking in AlsaMixer does nothing,Gnome Player shows but does not play (it seems to load a song then it stop)Pmusic shows but does nothing at all, Gnome AlsaMixer shows only a gui box with nothing in it, PupRadio shows a complete gui but after choosing a preset it just stay blank and does nothing.If I Re-install everithing is ok but after a couple of re-boots we have the same issues again.Please note that this happens with all 5 USB sticks and the two computers in any combination. Any ideas good people? Thank for your time

gcmartin

Filesystem anomolies also

#575 Post by gcmartin »

I have confirmed an additional anomaly in Puppy528M ISO's filesystem. while running the Live media system. (Still have not rebooted, yet, though)
Please see here.

Hope this helps

playdayz

#576 Post by playdayz »

I have confirmed an additional anomaly in Puppy528M
528M has been withdrawn. It was actually never released--it was a test vehicle.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 224#581224

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
elcurita, Perhaps you can test Lucid 5.2.8 without the multimedia upgrade, which has been withdrawn in any event. If you proceed with that, it would be useful to test the lupu-528.iso on its own (that was the release of AUG 7 2011) and then add the Instant_Update for Lucid 528-002. Those are both official releases. If you then wished to continue, you could test the lupu-528-002.iso which is currently in testing. Thank you.

Lupu-528.iso and the Instant_Upgrade-Lucid528-002 are both in the first message of this thread. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

Lupu-528-002.iso is at the address in the first part of this message.

Sylvander

#577 Post by Sylvander »

1. Just now updated Lupu-526 to Lupu-528.002, and that looked GOOD. :D
No problems apparent.

2. Then installed Instant_Update-Lucid528-002.pet, and that is looking good also. :D
Can't see anything amiss.

3. So far tried:
(a) Generally taking a look around in the menus, using Firefox, Xfe, Firewall Status, Clipboard, speaker icon->Retrovol, Alsamixer, Gnome Alsamixer.

(b) Used "Pupsave Hot Backup" to save a backup to a folder in an ext3 partition in my 1TB [USB2 connected] external HDD.
I LOVE this program! 8)
I suppose it isn't possible to hot-restore also, huh?
Or choose a pupsave to restore at shut-down/reboot?
"Pupsave Hot Restore"?

(c) Successfully used "GNOME MPlayer" to play various mkv, mp4, mov files.
"Just works". :D

4. Will report back if I see anything amiss.
No report back means all's going well; haven't found any problems.

5. One of the reasons [the main reason?] I use this as my number-1 OS is...
I'm able to have this Puppy treat my pupsave on an internal HDD as if it's a pupsave on a Flash Drive.
[Doesn't work on some other Puppies :( ]
Which means I can CHOOSE when/if to save during the session [manually]...
And then be given the option at shut-down/reboot "to save or not to save".
[Useful when using "Pupsave Hot Backup" for example]

playdayz

#578 Post by playdayz »

One of the reasons [the main reason?] I use this as my number-1 OS is...
I'm able to have this Puppy treat my pupsave on an internal HDD as if it's a pupsave on a Flash Drive.
[Doesn't work on some other Puppies ]
Which means I can CHOOSE when/if to save during the session [manually]...
And then be given the option at shut-down/reboot "to save or not to save".
[Useful when using "Pupsave Hot Backup" for example]
Sylvander, That is splendid. Could you give instructions please?
Used "Pupsave Hot Backup" to save a backup to a folder in an ext3 partition in my 1TB [USB2 connected] external HDD.
I LOVE this program!
I suppose it isn't possible to hot-restore also, huh?
Or choose a pupsave to restore at shut-down/reboot?
"Pupsave Hot Restore"?
Perhaps you could suggest these enhancements to 2byte.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 35&t=49999

BTW, If you used the lupu-528.002.iso it was not necessary to install the Instant Update 002 pet, but it did no harm since the pet was already present int he ISO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The GetFlash script has been inoperative for two days because, I believe, Adobe must have moved the location of the flashplayer binary. 01micko has fixed it quickly.
Attachments
getflash-0.4.pet
(5.83 KiB) Downloaded 1059 times

playdayz

#579 Post by playdayz »

Note for installing Pmusic 2.2.1 Please (re)move /root/.pmusic before install if your system runs a older Pmusic than 2.2.0

Could not doing this be causing the problem with using Pmusic 2.2.1 in the multimedia update?
Good point Bigpup, but the multimedia update deleted /root/.pmusic. Even though I have withdrawn the multimedia update and the multimedia ISO I will update the Super Multimedia upgrade in a bit.

Sylvander

#580 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Sylvander, That is splendid. Could you give instructions please?"
(a)
See this post.
And...
How to prevent the spurious warning as a pupsave installation of Puppy boots, that the previous shut-down was improper.

2. "Perhaps you could suggest these enhancements to 2byte."
Already DONE.

roadkill13

#581 Post by roadkill13 »

applied the non multimedia 002 update to a clean install of 5.28 on my Acer Aspire One D255 with HDA Intel audio and lost all sound.

Nothing changed with the settings. All the right check boxes are still checked. All of the sliders are still in the appropriate position. Configuration remains unchanged. Nothing is muted.

Not a thing wrong with it. Just no sound. So I ran the Alsa setup wizard again. Seemingly set up just fine minus the barking dog.

I created a fresh save file, booted into it without applying the update and I have sound again.

EDIT

Booted into fresh save file. Applied the 002 update. I am able to hear sound from the external speaker but not the headphone jack. Odd that because I had no sound at all when I applied the update to the previous save file.

James C

#582 Post by James C »

Still no real problems with my frugal install of 528.002M .......nothing really to complain about. :)

playdayz

#583 Post by playdayz »

Booted into fresh save file. Applied the 002 update. I am able to hear sound from the external speaker but not the headphone jack.
roadkill13, Are you sure the headphone volume is turned up--I find it easiest to use Menu -> Multimedia -> alsamixer or gnome-alsamixer.

roadkill13

#584 Post by roadkill13 »

roadkill13, Are you sure the headphone volume is turned up--I find it easiest to use Menu -> Multimedia -> alsamixer or gnome-alsamixer.
Yup. Applying the update did not change my settings.

DAJ

Instant Update 002 for Lucid 528 fixed problem with Remaster

#585 Post by DAJ »

Just installed Instant Update 002 for Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 on my machine and it fixed a problem I had had with remastering.

Already had instant update 001 installed and this had not fixed the remastering problem.

Thanks for the update.

gcmartin

#586 Post by gcmartin »

AFter some further testing with the lupu528, lupu528+update002M, lupu528-002M, WITH SAMBA, I think the problem may be the version of SAMBA available in the PPM. Maybe a newer PPM version of SAMBA in the next Puppy kernel for LUPU, might be in order.

Sorry for the original alert. It had seemed that the couple issues I saw (ROX and SAMBA issue) were related to the filesystem in Puppy528. It appears that might not be the case.

otropogo

#587 Post by otropogo »

James C wrote:
playdayz wrote:
otropogo wrote: ....
Three-headed Dog should work fine with the default nv driver. ...
Have now tried Three-headed Dog on both my USB3 laptop and on my Intel D865GLC desktop with ATI X1550 video adapter.

The results were surprising and disappointing:

1. Although luci-001 handled the laptop's Nvidia adapter without problems, it was unable to detect the 3TB Goflex Desk drive on the USB3 expressport adapter. The issue is not with the size of the drive, as it mounts without issues on the USB2 port. It follows that luci doesn't have support for USB3.

Slacko_5.29.6 does detect and mount the same drive on the USB3 port.

2. on the Intel PC, there was a major problem with the video which I've never experienced before in any OS. At first bootup with pfix=ram, the screen was improperly sized, but the popup for the display responded to my input and set the screen resolution to 1600x1200. A Radeon driver was installed, and everything looked normal.

I then used the date/time setting box to adjust the time for daylight savings. When x-windows reset, instead of showing the configured screen, it presented the xorg wizard setup. I chose probe, and the wizard refused the 1600x1200 setting, and when the desktop displayed the screen was so dim, it was impossible to see the icons. I had to maximize the brightness setting of the monitor (in all other puppies I have it set to about 50%) in order to get a minimally visible desktop. I created a save file and rebooted, but the result was the same - too dim to be usable.

I then rebooted with my lupu-528 disk, and was able to lower the brightness setting of the monitor by 50% without reaching anywhere near the dimness of the luci screen.

Since the purpose of the exercise was to get a Puppy with the versatility and range of applications of lupu 5.28, plus full support for USB3, my quest goes on. Presumably I'll have to wait for lupu to get a newer kernel with USB3 support.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

playdayz

#588 Post by playdayz »

Since the purpose of the exercise was to get a Puppy with the versatility and range of applications of lupu 5.28, plus full support for USB3, my quest goes on. Presumably I'll have to wait for lupu to get a newer kernel with USB3 support.
otropogo, I have asked tempestuous and rerwin if they have any ideas. They are the experts on drivers. Since Slacko does work with usb3 it might be useful to ask for the features (versatility and range of applications) you want in Slacko. The fact is that Slacko is at the beginning of its development and Lucid is toward the end of its--though it will remain available with this forum for questions and discussion as well as the Instant Update 002. I am disappointed that 3HD did not work since it uses the same kernel and kernel mode drivers as Slacko. Like Lupu, 3HD will also remain available with an upcoming update and its support forum.

otropogo

#589 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:...
otropogo, I have asked tempestuous and rerwin if they have any ideas. They are the experts on drivers. Since Slacko does work with usb3 it might be useful to ask for the features (versatility and range of applications) you want in Slacko. The fact is that Slacko is at the beginning of its development and Lucid is toward the end of its--though it will remain available with this forum for questions and discussion as well as the Instant Update 002. I am disappointed that 3HD did not work since it uses the same kernel and kernel mode drivers as Slacko. Like Lupu, 3HD will also remain available with an upcoming update and its support forum.

Lupu 528 standard remains the only current version that works on both my Intel D865GLC desktop and my Toshiba laptop with USB3. No version of Slacko except 5.3 will boot my Intel desktop. But strangely, it doesn't provide native USB3 support (whereas 5.29.6 did)

Lupu528_K3.0.7 provides native support for USB3, but won't boot my desktop PC. It's also fatally crippled by inability to "see any active interfaces", wired or wireless on the 64-bit laptop.

Lupu 528 standard boots both of my PCs, and provides USB3 and 3TB support via pet (so I can't boot a save file or sfs from the USB3port). It seems initially that the 3TB drive is unwritable, because a red popup displays when mounting it that says:
NTFS WARNING The ntfs-3g drive was unable to mount the NTFS partition and reported the following error message

fuse: if you are sure this is safe use the 'nonempty' mount option

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS drive has been used to mount the partition read only OK
The same thing happens when first mounting the drive on the USB2 port.

However, after reattaching the drive to the second USB3 port and remounting it, the red popup no longer appears, and the partition is mounted writable. After that, it can also be reattached to the first port and mounted writable there.

It seems that some corruption has crept into all of the newer kernel versions of Slacko and lupu.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

shinobar

UPDATE: sfs_load

#590 Post by shinobar »

sfs_load may fail to unload the excessive(>6) SFS on Lucid Puppy 528.
REASON: the losetup command(busybox) on Lucid Puppy 528 cannot properly handle /dev/loop10 and larger.

Try sfs_load-1.3 in such case.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
You may need to reboot PC after the sfs_load updated (only if you have loaded SFS more than 6).
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]