Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
twointo1

FFConvert v.1.0

#511 Post by twointo1 »

I was trying to convert a video from ac3 to mp3, but could not locate on the audio codec.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

playdayz

#512 Post by playdayz »

Would someone please describe the steps necessary to download 5.2.8 and install all necessary updates, at this point...
Just a little confused and want to begin anew.
Heartfelt thanks in advance,
calexand, It's only two steps.

1. Install Lucid 5.2.8 and install a browser. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

2. Download and install either Instant Update 002 (plain or with Multimedia) and click the pet to install. The update is cumulative so nothing else is necessary. <same link for the update>

Of course step 1 depends on how you would like to install Lucid. Some people prefer to burn a CD and boot that, then Save when shutting down. Others use Puppy Universal Installer (Menu -> Setup -> Puppy Universal Installer) to create either a frugal or full install.

Sage

#513 Post by Sage »

Instant Update 002
Sadly, this completely screwed my FULL. Sound disappeared and refused to reload. Eventually, the network disappeared, too, and lost the tray sometimes. Everything was fine without the update. Bit of a moral there!

otropogo

can't install instant update

#514 Post by otropogo »

Have just tried to install the multimedia update pet from page one of this thread.

When I clicked on the link, I was surprised to see no option for installing only to either download or unzip the file. I chose unzip, expecting it would then install. But after apparently downloading, and opening the xarchiver, it proved resistant to any other action. I tried, extracting and opening, but wasn't able to do anything but look at the list of contents.

If the files are sitting somewhere in my savefile, I don't know where, or what to do with them. If I start over and choose "download", what's the proper procedure then? I'm running from the Puppy 5.28 LiveCD.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

playdayz

#515 Post by playdayz »

When I clicked on the link, I was surprised to see no option for installing only to either download or unzip the file
otropogo, Download the file and then click to install it.

otropogo

#516 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
When I clicked on the link, I was surprised to see no option for installing only to either download or unzip the file
otropogo, Download the file and then click to install it.
OK. Have done, and petmanager handled it uneventfully.

Any idea why the usual "install"option isn't offered when clicking on the link, or what might have happened to the work of the archiver?

I looked around in the system folders, especially /tmp/, but couldn't find any trace. Yet xarchiver seemed to labour quite a while before displaying the contents the first time. Stuff getting stuck in my savefile is a constant problem, so I like to hunt it down and get rid of it as soon as possible.

otropogo

update 002 disables video in Gnome Mplayer

#517 Post by otropogo »

I can no longer view mp4 or flv video with Puppy after installing multimedia update #002.

I get an audio popup, but no video, and almost all of the options are greyed out.

When I uninstalled the update pet, I was able to play video files normally again.

playdayz

#518 Post by playdayz »

Sound disappeared and refused to reload. Eventually, the network disappeared, too, and lost the tray sometimes.
I don't know Sage. We tested for several weeks on all kinds of installs, including Full, and we didn't see any of those symptoms. It was 5.2.8 you updated of course. Could you re-download and install it again, just to see? There was plenty of free space I assume. Is there anything unusual about the computer setup? Never mind the pet I mentioned.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 19:29, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

#519 Post by playdayz »

I can no longer view mp4 or flv video with Puppy after installing multimedia update #002.

I get an audio popup, but no video, and almost all of the options are greyed out.
otropogo, I just played several kinds of mp4's and one flv with the update. Are you clicking the video file to play with gnome-mplayer? I am not sure what you mean by "an audio popup and options grayed out." How are you playing the video's?

Add: I am also able to play mp4's and flv by opening them with Firefox.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 19:37, edited 5 times in total.

Sage

#520 Post by Sage »

re-download and install it again
Already did that several times. Using 001, presume that's the same? Enumeration has gone crazy recently. Couldn't manage to uninstall - no routine. SiS963 S.Bridge with bog std CMedia sound chip. Looking into HW matters and will report back tomorrow.

playdayz

#521 Post by playdayz »

Sage wrote:
re-download and install it again
Already did that several times. Using 001, presume that's the same? Enumeration has gone crazy recently. Couldn't manage to uninstall - no routine. SiS963 S.Bridge with bog std CMedia sound chip. Looking into HW matters and will report back tomorrow.
Sage, by 001 do you mean luci-001, Three-Headed Dog? They are not the same update--the one for 3HD will come in a few days.. If that was the problem the easiest fix would be to re-install 3HD without wiping the installation so the default files were re-installed, if that is possible for you. Since 3HD and Lucid use different kernels there were some kernel dependent modules in the update--that would be the problem I would guess.

otropogo

#522 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:

otropogo, I just played several kinds of mp4's with the update. Are you clicking the video file to play with gnome-mplayer? I am not sure what you mean by "an audio popup and options grayed out." How are you playing the video's?
Yes. I normally just click on the video file, and gnome-Mplayer opens a reduced window and starts playing the audio and video. But after the update, clicking on the file only opens the grey gnome player task bar, with the buttons for play, rewind, stop, etc.. The audio starts playing, but no video window opens.

IIRC, I had a similar problem in Wary, except that in that case, a yellow window opened for a fraction of a second and then closed.

Re: options greyed out, looking at the original gnome player now, I see that most of the options are inactive there too, so there's no clue in that.

The "edit" dropdown menu has only "preferences" active, and the "view" menu only shows "playlist, audio meter, and controls" active.

playdayz

#523 Post by playdayz »

Yes. I normally just click on the video file, and gnome-Mplayer opens a reduced window and starts playing the audio and video. But after the update, clicking on the file only opens the grey gnome player task bar, with the buttons for play, rewind, stop, etc.. The audio starts playing, but no video window opens.
otropogo, Please try this: click the play icon on the desktop to open gnome-mplayer and choose Edit -> Preferences, then click the drop down menu for Video Output and choose x11, instead of xv. The update made the change from x11 to xv because DVD menus do not display properly in x11, so it is kind of a no win situation.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 20:11, edited 4 times in total.

Sage

#524 Post by Sage »

luci-001, Three-Headed Dog
Ah ha!Yes that's the one. Got me (and a bunch of others) really confused.
Wiped the lot and reinstalled - seems to work now. Think there was a hardware issue too so changed the cpu for safety. Thanks for your swiftness, though - appreciated.

playdayz

#525 Post by playdayz »

Sage wrote:
luci-001, Three-Headed Dog
Ah ha!Yes that's the one. Got me (and a bunch of others) really confused.
Wiped the lot and reinstalled - seems to work now. Think there was a hardware issue too so changed the cpu for safety. Thanks for your swiftness, though - appreciated.
Sage, I am sorry that happened. I will put a message in bold red with the update.

This update is not for luci-001 Three-Headed Dog.

The different numbering is because Three-Headed Dog is not the successor to Lucid 5.2.8. Rather it is an experiment, using a newer kernel. That is why it is luci instead of lupu, so it doesn't accidentally overwrite someone's Lucid. I also put it into Puppy Derivatives for that reason. (That is not to say that anything is wrong with it--I use it myself.) I will pm you when I need a tester for the Three-Headed Dog update ;-)

majorfoo

#526 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote: The different numbering is because Three-Headed Dog is not the successor to Lucid 5.2.8. Rather it is an experiment, using a newer kernel. That is why it is luci instead of lupu, so it doesn't accidentally overwrite someone's Lucid. I also put it into Puppy Derivatives for that reason. (That is not to say that anything is wrong with it--I use it myself.) I will pm you when I need a tester for the Three-Headed Dog update ;-)
Will also help in testing when you get it in 3HD

majorfoo

playdayz

#527 Post by playdayz »

Here is the cool wallpaper from swiatmar that is new in Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8.

more by swiatmar and others -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 958#577958
Attachments
screen-wallpaperpuppy3d-wide.png
(181.01 KiB) Downloaded 1622 times

bigpup

#528 Post by bigpup »

I finally figured out why I keep having problems running Puppy 5.2.8 on this laptop I have.
Attachments
04.jpg
(39.64 KiB) Downloaded 1748 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

otropogo

#529 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
otropogo, Please try this: click the play icon on the desktop to open gnome-mplayer and choose Edit -> Preferences, then click the drop down menu for Video Output and choose x11, instead of xv. The update made the change from x11 to xv because DVD menus do not display properly in x11, so it is kind of a no win situation.
Yes. That did the trick. Video is back. Thanks

playdayz

#530 Post by playdayz »

PSIP, Puppy Phone, looks very exciting. The info is in this thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70867
To download click the link provided there and when you get Smokey01's menu click the red phone, and then download the Psip for Lucid.