Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Brown Mouse

#466 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:
playdayz wrote: Thank you very much for your help. That's why we test I guess ;-)
Playdayz
Sorry to be a pain but one further question.
I've removed the test03.pet so should I also remove the 01 instant update .pet before installing RC 2.pet??
Hmm, I would say, just install the RC on top of test01. You have helped find aproblem. Thanks again. This is a case when too much testing presented problems. I understand the issues now, and I can account for them in the release. The basic problem was that there was an incompatibility between the Super Multimedia upgrade and the Instant Update. Please re-download the RC from the message on p.30--it has been fixed.
Ok,many thanks for your help.

playdayz

#467 Post by playdayz »

jim3630

To fix your other version, download this file and rename it gtkdialog3, just remove the .gz. Check that it is green--if it is black, right-click and select Permissions, then Yes. Then copy it into /usr/sbin.

Also, if you have re-downloaded the Instant_Update, then it should be OK to install the Multimedia Upgrade on top of it. Or vice versa.
Attachments
gtkdialog3.gz
(131.18 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

sheldonisaac

#468 Post by sheldonisaac »

playdayz wrote:Please re-download the RC from the message on p.30--it has been fixed.
I just installed it "on top of" the test04 on my other computer, and rebooted.

Package manager shows both of them.

I guess I'll go through some of the previous messages to see what problems, if any, to look for.

Many thanks!

majorfoo

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - RC Instant Update 002 p.30

#469 Post by majorfoo »

d/l and installed update 002 on full install ext4 partition

everything seems to be ok EXCEPT sound icon - shows sound muted
dumb question - How do I get sound unmuted??

I have not had any problems with sound in Lucid-luci series in over a year and suddenly this happens

HP pentium 4 2.80 ghz, 2gb memory Intel ICH5 Audio adapter

majorfoo

playdayz

#470 Post by playdayz »

How do I get sound unmuted??
majorfoo, I think the easiest way is to run Menu -> Multimedia -> Gnome-alsamixer.

playdayz

#471 Post by playdayz »

I just installed it "on top of" the test04 on my other computer, and rebooted.

Package manager shows both of them.

I guess I'll go through some of the previous messages to see what problems, if any, to look for.
Yes sheldonisaac, that is the way to install it. All of the problems so far, except majorfoo's muted sound, have had to do with how to install it ;-)

majorfoo

#472 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
How do I get sound unmuted??
majorfoo, I think the easiest way is to run Menu -> Multimedia -> Gnome-alsamixer.
went to Gnome-alsamixer and unchecked ALL boxes that were muted but sound icon in system tray still shows red x = volume muted
I tried restarting x and rebooting and no change

majorfoo

jim3630

#473 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:jim3630

To fix your other version, download this file and rename it gtkdialog3, just remove the .gz. Check that it is green--if it is black, right-click and select Permissions, then Yes. Then copy it into /usr/sbin.

Also, if you have re-downloaded the Instant_Update, then it should be OK to install the Multimedia Upgrade on top of it. Or vice versa.
playdayz,

pfix=ram, ff, opera, aria2, uget, instant update, and mutli-media upgrade, rebooted /usr/sbin already has gtkdialog3 should replace it with new?

everything seems to work now.

playdayz

#474 Post by playdayz »

pfix=ram, ff, opera, aria2, uget, instant update, and mutli-media upgrade, rebooted /usr/sbin already has gtkdialog3 should replace it with new?

jim3630, No need to replace if PPM is working (which means gtkdialog is the right one).
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#475 Post by playdayz »

went to Gnome-alsamixer and unchecked ALL boxes that were muted but sound icon in system tray still shows red x = volume muted
majorfoo, Oh my, please click the volume control icon in the system tray and try to drag up the volume.

Did you have any patches installed?

The next step would be to run Menu -> Setup -> ALSA Sound Wizard--if you want to continue testing.

majorfoo

#476 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
majorfoo, Oh my, please click the volume control icon in the system tray and try to drag up the volume.

Did you have any patches installed?

The next step would be to run Menu -> Setup -> ALSA Sound Wizard--if you want to continue testing.
cannot drag volume up when click on volume control in system tray

no patches - super multimedia upgrade and rc2 from page 30

Now this is weird - I can open audacious and play mp3 files with sound

Just have the red x beside volume control icon which only appeared after the RC instant update 002 from page 30

majorfoo

playdayz

#477 Post by playdayz »

Just have the red x beside volume control icon which only appeared after the RC instant update 002 from page 30
majorfoo, I have seen it do that when the soundcard doesn't have a mixer that is compatible with retrovol, but in those cases gnome-alsamixer or alsamixer can still adjust the sound. Can they adjust the sound, btw? If gnome-aslamixer can adjust the sound, raise and lower volume, that says it might be a retrovol problem--and retrovol is updated in the Instant Update so that oculd be. Could you see if gnome-alsamixer can adjust volume while you are playing mp3's?

If you can adjust volume with gnome-alsamixer I will make a pet with the old retrovol in it

Here is the retrovol pet--it was easy to make.
Attachments
retrovol-0.10.pet
(115.97 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 02:06, edited 2 times in total.

majorfoo

#478 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
majorfoo, I have seen it do that when the soundcard doesn't have a mixer that is compatible with retrovol, but in those cases gnome-alsamixer or alsamixer can still adjust the sound. Can they adjust the sound, btw? If gnome-aslamixer can adjust the sound, raise and lower volume, that says it might be a retrovol problem--and retrovol is updated in the Instant Update so that oculd be. Could you see if gnome-alsamixer can adjust volume while you are playing mp3's?

If you can adjust volume with gnome-alsamixer I will make a pet with the old retrovol in it
tried to run gnome-mplayer and received this message
Attachments
gnome-mplayer.png
(158.04 KiB) Downloaded 577 times

playdayz

#479 Post by playdayz »

gnome-alsamixer I will make a pet with the old retrovol in it

tried to run gnome-mplayer and received this message
gnome-alsamixer not gnome-mplayer ;-) while playing mp3's in audacious.

That message is OK with gnome-mplayer, btw.

I posted the pet with retrovol 0.10 int he message above.

It looks like you have luci-528 instead of lupu-528. It shouldn't matter, that I can figure, but....
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#480 Post by majorfoo »

further ref volume control icon with red x

I can adjust sound up and down in audacious - no problem
I hear the two barks when I test sound card in alsamixer

I can live with the red x beside volume icon in tray

majorfoo

majorfoo

#481 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
Here is the retrovol pet--it was easy to make.
where - do not see it

majorfoo

playdayz

#482 Post by playdayz »

majorfoo wrote:further ref volume control icon with red x

I can adjust sound up and down in audacious - no problem
I hear the two barks when I test sound card in alsamixer

I can live with the red x beside volume icon in tray

majorfoo
That's good news. It makes me think it might be a retrovol problem, if you would like to try that retrovol pet.
Attachments
retrovol-0.10.pet
(115.97 KiB) Downloaded 209 times

majorfoo

#483 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
That's good news. It makes me think it might be a retrovol problem, if you would like to try that retrovol pet.
installed the retrovol pet and have the same problem.

I am going to start over with clean full install and see if i still have problem.

If I install the super multimedia upgrade and RC instant update 002, do I need any of the other updates or patches??

majorfoo

playdayz

#484 Post by playdayz »

If I install the super multimedia upgrade and RC instant update 002, do I need any of the other updates or patches??
No, that's all. Wow, people seem attached to that Super Multimedia Upgrade. It'snot really necessary and it is 10MB or so, so I am a little bit surprised.
I am going to start over with clean full install and see if i still have problem.
That will help. Thanks.

BTW, what kind of sound card do you have?

cammy85

#485 Post by cammy85 »

This just keeps getting better and better. :) Love the new Alsa wizard. :) Thanks, playdayz!!