Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 190 [2847 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 09:10    Post subject:  

Béèm wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:
Also it would be nice if wine were fully integrated in the menu, so that "Wine Programs" were there too. Right now its nowhere to be found after installing Wine and here I mean all versions up to the newest 1.3.9.xxxx.
From 3.xx on I use wine when it still was 0.9.x
Now I am at 1.3.23 and still never had a problem to find wine in the menu's of any puppy included the latest ones.
green_dome is the person who compiles wine and his latest is 1.3.25.
Winehq has announced 1.3.26, so green_dome will shortly announce it.

The Wine thread of green_dome can be easily found by searching on his name with the puppy search link in my thread.

Now for your problem, it is better to post it the users forum, as I don't think it's a lucid 5.2.8 issue.

Actually I were not kidden or mistaken about the wine, one of the users here compilled it to 1.3.9.

http://www.wuala.com/puppylinux/version2013/wine-1.3.9_v1/

and 1.3.9 has actually been available since december 2010

http://www.winehq.org/news/2010121001

My problem, as described with wine is that the "Wine Programs" menu entry never show up in Puppy. "Wine Programs" is where all your installed programs will be listed, I cant see why that has been left out. Another thing missing from the menu is "Explore Drive C:".

Well, you say its not an issue with 5.2.8, and I say it seems to be problem with all Puppy including 5.2.8 so thats why I tell the publisher of 5.2.8 that it would be nice if it were fixed in his version:)

I'm not a programmer, but I can immagine the enormous effort someone has put into it when posting his or hers Puppy version. And I can appreciate it, but if we don't tell the problems then they will not get fixed.

With kind regards

JBJ
dealora

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 13:00    Post subject:  

wifi realtek 8187 puppy 5.2.8 found livecd mode and not found install mode?

Juan José (Spain)
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 14:30    Post subject:  

dealora wrote:

Juan José (Spain)

What type install?
Frugal or full?

vancardboardbox

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 15:49    Post subject:  

First boot of 5.28 after install with B43 wireless, no problem. On subsequent boots, however, no wireless interface is found.

Taking a look at /lib/firmware/b43 everything looks okay. Any suggestions?
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 16:00    Post subject:  

dealora wrote:
Hi @Dealora.

When in LiveCD desktop, did you happen to do a SAVE-SESSION to your LiveCD?
If you did, did your PC discover the adapter on reboot?

Just curious.

jim3630

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 16:43    Post subject:  

vancardboardbox wrote:
First boot of 5.28 after install with B43 wireless, no problem. On subsequent boots, however, no wireless interface is found.

Taking a look at /lib/firmware/b43 everything looks okay. Any suggestions?

I have broadcom wl.ko and also "forgets" my settings on reboot. I just keep re-entering them on subsequent reboots and finally would stick.
vancardboardbox

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 16:52    Post subject:  

^Its not merely forgetting my wireless settings. Puppy finds no WLAN interface after the second post-install boot, thus no wireless connectivity is possible at all.

Reloading the module does not fix, and the firmware appears fine in /lib/firmware/b43.

USB flash install, btw.
jim3630

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 17:35    Post subject:  

vancardboardbox wrote:
^Its not merely forgetting my wireless settings. Puppy finds no WLAN interface after the second post-install boot, thus no wireless connectivity is possible at all.

Reloading the module does not fix, and the firmware appears fine in /lib/firmware/b43.

USB flash install, btw.

vancardboardbox USB install can make a difference and I have little usb experience. mine is frugal manual to hdd.

What has helped me in the past is checking for competing drivers.

SNS will show which driver(s) currently loaded as will menu>system>boot manager. If found a competing driver can blacklist it with the boot manager.

To confirm a functional wifi network interface. Try this command -
Code:
ifconfig -a

To manually wake up wlan try this-
Code:
ifconfig wlan(0) or (1) up

if shows wifi network then can configure it as before.

Here is a thread on manual wifi configuration.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

playdayz hopefully will assist if you need.
jim3630

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 17:39    Post subject:  

sm 2.3lucid525.pet installed from repo and menus smudge not showing all options. will continue testing.

----
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-lucid/
sm.png
 Description   
 Filesize   44.02 KB
 Viewed   2398 Time(s)

sm.png

vancardboardbox

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 18:48    Post subject:  

Thanks for replying, jim3630.

Command fails. "No such device". I should have, in my original post, included the error message that the Network Wizard throws up:

"failed to raise interface wlan0
failed command was: ifconfig wlan0 up
error returned was:
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Protocol error"

Worked fine on first boot. Wireless works fine with the OSes installed on this notebook (Windows, Mint, Fedora). I will test this USB install later this eve with a different notebook. Same wireless nic on that one, though (b43).
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 19:34    Post subject:  

Insomniacno1 wrote:
Béèm wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:
Also it would be nice if wine were fully integrated in the menu, so that "Wine Programs" were there too. Right now its nowhere to be found after installing Wine and here I mean all versions up to the newest 1.3.9.xxxx.
From 3.xx on I use wine when it still was 0.9.x
Now I am at 1.3.23 and still never had a problem to find wine in the menu's of any puppy included the latest ones.
green_dome is the person who compiles wine and his latest is 1.3.25.
Winehq has announced 1.3.26, so green_dome will shortly announce it.

The Wine thread of green_dome can be easily found by searching on his name with the puppy search link in my thread.

Now for your problem, it is better to post it the users forum, as I don't think it's a lucid 5.2.8 issue.

Actually I were not kidden or mistaken about the wine, one of the users here compilled it to 1.3.9.

http://www.wuala.com/puppylinux/version2013/wine-1.3.9_v1/

and 1.3.9 has actually been available since december 2010

http://www.winehq.org/news/2010121001

My problem, as described with wine is that the "Wine Programs" menu entry never show up in Puppy. "Wine Programs" is where all your installed programs will be listed, I cant see why that has been left out. Another thing missing from the menu is "Explore Drive C:".

Well, you say its not an issue with 5.2.8, and I say it seems to be problem with all Puppy including 5.2.8 so thats why I tell the publisher of 5.2.8 that it would be nice if it were fixed in his version:)

I'm not a programmer, but I can immagine the enormous effort someone has put into it when posting his or hers Puppy version. And I can appreciate it, but if we don't tell the problems then they will not get fixed.

With kind regards

JBJ
You probably have more experience then I have.
So good luck with your request.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
jim3630

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 21:45    Post subject:  

vancardboardbox wrote:
Thanks for replying, jim3630.

Command fails. "No such device". I should have, in my original post, included the error message that the Network Wizard throws up:

"failed to raise interface wlan0
failed command was: ifconfig wlan0 up
error returned was:
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Protocol error"

Worked fine on first boot. Wireless works fine with the OSes installed on this notebook (Windows, Mint, Fedora). I will test this USB install later this eve with a different notebook. Same wireless nic on that one, though (b43).

vancardboardbox, thanks for showing the messages, now looks like what have seen when mixing usage of frisbee and sns or connection wizard. True?

if so, i would rename your savefile and start fresh with pfix=ram if can remember the steps to your initial successful connection would write them down for future reference. often frisbee will not suffice to acquire wifi connection but once the connection is made and sns or cw scripts fail and time out then simply rebooting and then choose frisbee it can read sns or cw scripts then rewrites them while making your connection which doesn't time out.

to tell for sure need that tar ball report which when sns fails it offers that report.
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 22:15    Post subject:  

Quote:
now looks like what have seen when mixing usage of frisbee and sns or connection wizard. True?

If so, that is definitely not recommended. After installing frisbee should use frisbee exclusively. Of course can uninstall to go back to sns. That is why Frisbee is an install rather than included--they don't coexist well, as I understand it from jemimah, the creator of frisbee.
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 22:25    Post subject:  

Quote:

I have broadcom wl.ko and also "forgets" my settings on reboot. I just keep re-entering them on subsequent reboots and finally would stick.

Broadcom should go to tempestuous's thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59000
He also explained the Broadcom situation in the development thread for 5.2.7-but that will be harder to find.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69563
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 22:29    Post subject:  

Quote:

Let green_dome know about your Wine preferences. IMHO, he has done an outstanding job and I am sure he will consider what you say.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1435985707&t=53675
Page 4 of 190 [2847 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: