Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#406 Post by playdayz »

Instant Update 002 -> h[url]ttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=579480#579480[/url]
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#407 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
Highlights - Please test these

rerwin's enhancements and repairs to the remaster script - Menu -> Setup -> Remaster Puppy live-cd

I have remastered lucid-528 several times using rewin's changes in patch 08 and patch 09. Both work as he indicates in his posts.

Looks good to me

majorfoo

playdayz

#408 Post by playdayz »

Does anyone know how to associate a protocol (in this case mms) with a program in Firefox?

Putting a protocol handler into /root/Choices/URI works for Iron, but not for Firefox. The protocol handler is just a symlink to defaultmediaplayer, same as the link for rtsp that is already there.

The goal is to play Watch Live on this page
http://216.195.129.142/Cablecast/Public ... hannelID=1

Iron will do it with this pet installed.

Thanks for any help.
Attachments
mms-handler.png
(11.4 KiB) Downloaded 1860 times
mms-fix.pet
(364 Bytes) Downloaded 231 times

scsijon

#409 Post by scsijon »

playdayz wrote: Testing Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/test0 ... 28-002.pet
could not close down the correct way after installing this update, even breaking out from C-A-F1>Ctrl-C to a # prompt then typing restart, poweroff or halt just restarted xwin

In the end I just had to use the big white power button

when starting again it dropped to a prompt (good, this is what it should do), so I typed restart and it shutdown and restarted properly

James C

#410 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:Does anyone know how to associate a protocol (in this case mms) with a program in Firefox?

Putting a protocol handler into /root/Choices/URI works for Iron, but not for Firefox. The protocol handler is just a symlink to defaultmediaplayer, same as the link for rtsp that is already there.

Thanks for any help.
Try here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 063#446063

Might at least give you an idea... :)

EDIT:
For what it's worth,that link won't play in Firefox or Opera in Mepis 11 either.
Couldn't get it to work here but maybe you'll have better luck.

bigpup

#411 Post by bigpup »

Does anyone know how to associate a protocol (in this case mms) with a program in Firefox?
Found this info:
http://www.cinlug.org/node/316
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#412 Post by bigpup »

Testing Instant Update 002

All seem to be working good.
Thanks for the improvements! :D
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#413 Post by bigpup »

Firefox 7.0.1

The mms-fix pet did not work for me.
YaPI(any iso installer)

tasmod

#414 Post by tasmod »

playdayz,

try this link:

Firefox mms fix
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

gortonc

5.2.8 mouse/keyboard wizard

#415 Post by gortonc »

Just found what may be a bug. I use the Dvorak keyboard set up and used to use the keyboard switcher in the firewall utility in the sys-tray, but understand that that has been removed. My wife needed to use my computer and I used the mouse/keyboard wizard to switch to US international, but it did not work. It reported success, but no change even with a reboot. Any ideas?

For future reference; am I posting this in the right place?

Thanks - Chris

xxxlam

#416 Post by xxxlam »

I think I should switch back to 5.2.5; it closes application unexpectedly. Anyway, nice try. More power to Puppy team. I'm looking forward for a stable version.
[size=150][b][color=blue]System[/color].out.[color=green]println[/color]([color=red]"Hello, Puppies! "[/color]);[/b][/size]

James C

#417 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:Does anyone know how to associate a protocol (in this case mms) with a program in Firefox?

Thanks for any help.
Haven't researched as to why, but the link plays in SeaMonkey 2.3.1 in the new Wary 5.2.Naturally, Firefox 7.0.1 in Wary won't play it.

rjbrewer

#418 Post by rjbrewer »

James C wrote:

Thanks for any help.
Haven't researched as to why, but the link plays in SeaMonkey 2.3.1 in the new Wary 5.2.Naturally, Firefox 7.0.1 in Wary won't play it.

Barry includes mms in the helper apps in Seamonkeys
newer than 2.0.

Lupu-Lucid doesn't. It will take the right addition to about:config to make it work with Seamonkey or Firefox.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rjbrewer

#419 Post by rjbrewer »

MMS config for Lupu 525 with Firefox 4.0

1. Type about:config in navigation bar. Enter

2. Right click-new string.

3. network.protocol-handler.app.mms

4. okay

5. /usr/local/bin/gnome-mplayer (? see edit)

6. okay

7. Right click-new boolean

8. network.protocol-handler.expose.mms

9. okay

10. false

11. close and restart browser

12. Go to Squid TV, click a chanel on the right. (small "watch" window)

13. A popup asks for a player.

14. Go to /usr/local/bin/default media player....open.

EDIT: Roadkill 13 says No. 5. should be /usr/bin/gnome-mplayer
Last edited by rjbrewer on Sat 22 Oct 2011, 20:31, edited 3 times in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

sheldonisaac

Instant Update 002

#420 Post by sheldonisaac »

(MUCH SNIPPING)

Many thanks to all for Lucid Puppy 5.x.x
playdayz wrote: Highlights - Please test these
I installed this update over the existing one, on my Acer Aspire One netbook AOA150, 1.6GHz

All looks OK so far. comments below

I haven't yet (or cant' ) tried:

Menu -> Setup -> Remaster Puppy live-cd
File -> Disc -> Open DVD with Menus
Menu -> Multimedia -> XineDVD
Menu -> Utility -> Pupsave Hot Backup
Pburn update to latest - Menu -> Multimedia -> Pburn
GetLibreOffice - easy install of latest Libre Office - Menu -> Documents

rerwin

Touchpad scrolling on eeePC - SOLVED

#421 Post by rerwin »

playdayz, et al,
Although I prefer to provide solutions than to raise more issues, I have run out of time to research this, and suspect others have already solved it. Lucid Pup works well on my eeePC, including the touchpad -- mostly. Puppeee supports scrolling with the touchpad by moving one's fingertip up or down the right edge of the touchpad area. As I use the eeePC for some "real work", I find that scrolling without that feature is frustrating, because the scroll arrows are small and the pointer is sensitive (and moves slightly with each tap). I don't know whether there is a way to simulate pressing a mouse button for continuous scrolling.

In the hope that something can be added to IU2 to activate that feature, I am requesting your assistance in getting that to work. I think solving that would make lupu even more compelling for netbook users. Once the technique is identified, I could help with integrating it into lupu if that is necessary or possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Richard

UPDATE: My request can now be disregarded! I found the Mouse/keyboard wizard, which I had never used. It has an option for the touchpad. When I first ran the wizard, it told me to restart the X server, so I did. When I then ran the M/k wizard, I saw the options. Although the tapping and scrolling now worked, the pointer motion was slower than Lucid Pup's default (without the scrolling). In the M/k wizard's "General" tab, I changed the "Min Speed" to 0.30 and "Max Speed" to 0.50.

Those actions seem to restore the default speed and tapping, but also with scrolling. The M/k wizard provides many more options than I imagined. No need for a fix to lupu for this.
Richard

rerwin

Identification of Epson Perfection scanner

#422 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
I tried out scanning with my Epson Perfection 1660 Photo, as a novice accustomed to using the Epson software in Windows. I seem to remember getting Xsane to work some time ago, maybe in 4.3.1.

After not having the scanner recognized, at all, I unplugged and replugged it (USB) and saw it recognized. But the name shown was not "Perfection 1660". Apparently, the "driver/backend" epson2 (and probably epson, too) uses the product names for the Japanese versions of the products. However, there is another backend, epkowa, that has the names used in the rest of the world for those devices.

Since most of us live outside of Japan, it would be reasonable to substitute the epkowa backend for epson2 in the sane.d/dll.conf file (by commenting out epson2 and inserting epkowa after it) and to add to IU2 the content of the epkowa package posted here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 703#420703
The package updates dll.conf to append epkowa, but that should be left out in favor of placing the entry with the other Epsons.

That posting also includes a package of the Epson iscan add-on to gimp. That might be added to the repo as a user optional package.

I still have not gotten scanning to work satisfactorily (due to my inexperience with Xsane), but feel the epkowa backend would be a good addition to lupu.
Richard

playdayz

#423 Post by playdayz »

Firefox 7.0.1

The mms-fix pet did not work for me.
Yes Bigpup, the mms pet only works with Iron, and presumably Chromium and Chrome. It looks like rjbrewer has the fix for Firefox.

Thanks rjbrewer. I have been down with a cold but will try the fix and implement it in the RC of Instant Update 002, coming soon.

rcrsn51

Re: Identification of Epson Perfection scanner

#424 Post by rcrsn51 »

rerwin wrote:But the name shown was not "Perfection 1660". Apparently, the "driver/backend" epson2 (and probably epson, too) uses the product names for the Japanese versions of the products. However, there is another backend, epkowa, that has the names used in the rest of the world for those devices.
According to SANE, your Perfection 1660 Photo is the "overseas version of the GT-8300UF". The vendor/product ID is 0x04b8/0x011e and SANE claims complete support with the epson2 backend.

Does it work for you with the epson2 backend? I am sending you a PM.

roadkill13

#425 Post by roadkill13 »

Thanks rjbrewer. I have been down with a cold but will try the fix and implement it in the RC of Instant Update 002, coming soon.
The fix worked for me in Firefox 7.01 although it should be noted that gnome-mplayer is not in /usr/local/bin but is in /usr/bin.