Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
radky

#391 Post by radky »

playdayz

#392 Post by playdayz »

Interlaced is for CRT monitors. LCD and plasma screens needs deinterlaced video.
Gnome-Mplayer has deinterlaced enabled as default, I think.
Thanks pemasu, that confirms what I have discovered also. Yes, gnome-mplayer is deinterlaced by default. XineDVD was not however and that will change in Update 002.

playdayz

#393 Post by playdayz »

I noticed this when running Menu Entry Maker from the terminal and select the combobox for Start with or Category
Code:
(gtkdialog3:2385): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.0/gobject/gsignal.c:3079: signal name `depressed' is invalid for instance `0x8518a70'

can anyone else confirm this is the case, I've posted this error on the Gtkdialog Development thread.
Thanks Geoffrey. That appears to be a Warning. Did the program crash or keep running successfully? If it crashed then I need to do something, but if it kept running successfully then I don't--maybe the gtkdialog team does ;-)

Geoffrey

#394 Post by Geoffrey »

playdayz wrote:
I noticed this when running Menu Entry Maker from the terminal and select the combobox for Start with or Category
Code:
(gtkdialog3:2385): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.0/gobject/gsignal.c:3079: signal name `depressed' is invalid for instance `0x8518a70'

can anyone else confirm this is the case, I've posted this error on the Gtkdialog Development thread.
Thanks Geoffrey. That appears to be a Warning. Did the program crash or keep running successfully? If it crashed then I need to do something, but if it kept running successfully then I don't--maybe the gtkdialog team does ;-)
The program still runs fine, might have to rewrite it at a later date though, I guess some of the other older scripts will suffer the same fate.

The only reason I was concerned was that when I tried writing a small script using combobox it didn't function as it should which left me scratching my head.

Geoffrey

rerwin

#395 Post by rerwin »

majorfoo wrote:When I remaster a live cd, after adding all the changes I want, I delete /root in /tmp directory and copy changed root directory to /tmp.
Next I delete /etc in /tmp directory and copy changed etc directory to /tmp.
Reason for this is to insure that ALL changes I made carried forward to the new iso.
majorfoo,
I don't think puppy should make that necessary, since a remaster is intended to include your changes. By overriding what remastering does with the /root and /etc directories, you included files that should not get propagated (.XLOADED) and lost the flag set by remaster to suppress the popup.

As I understand, remaster overrides only those /root and /etc files that are essential for puppy's internal integrity. Since I am still messing with remasterpup2, could you point out specific files that you need to retain but that puppy replaces, so I can look into making remaster more accommodating?

One file might be /etc/profile. I am not sure which components modify that file, but I gather that some applications update it. In my patch-7, I copy the selected language/locale into it, but leave the rest as in the puppy-distro version. I assume Barry does not simply copy that file into the remaster for a good reason. But it also seems that one would want to keep items needed by added applications. So, I am being cautious about copying the entire file, until I hear more about what is needed. This sounds like a file that has too many updaters, for different purposes, so it is difficult to sort out which parts are controlled by puppy, and which by others.

If you can give me details, I might be able to simplify your remastering process. But keep in mind that the process already gives you the opportunity to modify /root and /etc, to add your own individual files. Thanks.
Richard

majorfoo

#396 Post by majorfoo »

rerwin wrote:
If you can give me details, I might be able to simplify your remastering process. But keep in mind that the process already gives you the opportunity to modify /root and /etc, to add your own individual files. Thanks.
Richard
I boot live cd and add my preferred pets and changes such as browser, xscreensaver, wbar, audacious and others.

During the remaster process at the screen where you can make changes to root directory, I do folllowing

Open rox and go to /tmp directory. There I delete the /root directory

Open rox again and copy /root directory to /tmp directory and click ok

On the next screen which allows changes to etc directory
I click yes
on the next screen where it allows you to modify files in /tmp/etc directory,

Open rox and go to /tmp directory. There I delete the /etc directory

Open rox again and copy /etc directory to /tmp then click yes to continue

Following these steps, when I boot the remastered cd I get the message that puppy was not shut down properly last time and also get the personalize settings screen on the desktop.

If I DO NOT delete the /etc directroy in /tmp and simply click yes on first screen and yes on second screen, then everything works properly. No message about prior shutdown and no personalize settings again on desktop.

The reason I delete the etc directory in /tmp and replace with other copy is to insure that all changes I have made are carried forward to the remastered cd. In particular, I modify rc-shutdown n /etc/rc.d by commenting out lines 721 through 735 so that the remastered copy will not ask to save to cd, save to file, do not save.

Hope this makes sense

majorfoo

Geoffrey

#397 Post by Geoffrey »

Geoffrey wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Code:

The program still runs fine, might have to rewrite it at a later date though, I guess some of the other older scripts will suffer the same fate.

The only reason I was concerned was that when I tried writing a small script using combobox it didn't function as it should which left me scratching my head.

Geoffrey
playdayz,

It looks as if combobox functionality is limited now, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 807#572807

rerwin

Patch 8, for remaster issues

#398 Post by rerwin »

Playdayz, scsijon, majorfoo,
The attached patch-8 is the same as patch-7 plus updated versions of 3 scripts:
  • - remasterpup2 - omits some modem daemon and other user-space components that get installed as needed from firmware tarballs, so do not need to be there twice.
    - remasterpup2 - Accommodates user replacement of the generated /root and /etc directories with the complete directories, preserving the no-popup indicator and removing .XLOADED (to avoid a message during each boot of the CD.)
    - rc.shutdown - skips prompting for saving of personal data if this (null) file is present: /etc/personal_data_save_disabled. The user must create that file, as no other creation tool is included.
    - puppyinstaller - For update of a full installation, the /etc/profile file is copied as /tmp/profile-before_upgrade, so the user can retrieve its content for merging into the generated profile file.
While the installer mod is a partial fix for scsijon's issues with full-install upgrades, the rest are further support for creation of CDs used for running without saving personal data (boot CDs).

Majorfoo's technique of remastering the entire /root and /etc directories seems to help with getting complete remasters, but may propagate some files that are not desired. I consider this somewhat experimental, but want to facilitate the process where I can. One thing: the user should not remove the .XLOADED file manually, as it is used to detect that the full directory is to be remastered, and is then removed.
Richard

scsijon

#399 Post by scsijon »

thanks richard, that should at least fix that problem!

Has anyone got a pet of zenity around for 528? I have an unknown app on my box that seems to want something from it, but I can't find which one as ppm's dependancy checker says no against each package. I just get annoying popup's ocassionally saying their missing and asking for them. The strange thing is the box also wants openssh and xdelta3, which are already there.

thanks

scsijon

majorfoo

Re: Patch 8, for remaster issues

#400 Post by majorfoo »

rerwin wrote:
Majorfoo's technique of remastering the entire /root and /etc directories seems to help with getting complete remasters, but may propagate some files that are not desired. I consider this somewhat experimental, but want to facilitate the process where I can. One thing: the user should not remove the .XLOADED file manually, as it is used to detect that the full directory is to be remastered, and is then removed.
Richard
Booted live cd of lucid-528
Installed Update-001 and Patch-008

Made changes and ran remaster script

Replaced /root in direcotry /tmp
Replaced /etc in directory /tmp

Booted remastered cd and everything works. No message about previous shutdown and no personalize settings on desktop.

Remastered again

Replaced /root in directory /tmp

This time I DID NOT replace /etc in directory /tmp

Answered yes to both screens regarding /etc

Booted remastered cd and everything works.

Thank you for these changes.

majorfoo

majorfoo

Re: Patch 8, for remaster issues

#401 Post by majorfoo »

rerwin wrote:
- rc.shutdown - skips prompting for saving of personal data if this (null) file is present: /etc/personal_data_save_disabled. The user must create that file, as no other creation tool is included.

Richard
Created above file and remastered again usinig this new feature. Worked great for me.

Thanks again for making all these changes

majorfoo

playdayz

#402 Post by playdayz »

Iron 14 by srware

Iron is built from the same source code as Google Chrome, but, according to srware has some of the intrusive features removed. Here's what they say -> http://www.srware.net/en/software_srwar ... s_iron.php

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid528.pet

rerwin

patch-9: adjustments to remastering

#403 Post by rerwin »

Larry, Majorfoo,
I made some small changes to the remaster script, to make a clean separation between the usual /etc-directory customization and the unofficial support for the technique of customizing by full replacement of the /root and /etc directories in the remastered image.

1. Normal customization will not suppress the personal-setting popup, but will include in the customization the main language (locale) and hostname selections. The user need not let the settings function restart X or exit to the prompt if those settings are made solely for the remaster. If one wants to suppress the popup, add this null file to the /tmp/etc directory when allowed to view that directory: personal_settings_popup_disabled.

2. If one intends to use the entire /etc directory in the remaster, there is now no need to also choose customization (to suppress the popup), since the replacement constitutes a "complete customization". After the directory replacement, two indicators are automatically set into the remaster, to suppress both the popup and the prompt for saving of personal data:
  • /etc/personal_settings_popup_disabled
    /etc/personal_data_save_disabled
Therefore the remastered "complete customization" CD will boot without the popup and will not prompt for a save file/partition/CD. But the user can nullify either behavior by deleting the appropriate indicator file and remastering the remaster without any customization, if necessary.
Richard

ozsouth

rc.shutdown

#404 Post by ozsouth »

When I remaster, i always edit rc.shutdown & change all instances of 60 sec to 6 sec. Gives a short opportunity to save, then shuts down (unless a save file already exists).

majorfoo

Re: patch-9: adjustments to remastering

#405 Post by majorfoo »

rerwin wrote:Larry, Majorfoo,
I made some small changes to the remaster script, to make a clean separation between the usual /etc-directory customization and the unofficial support for the technique of customizing by full replacement of the /root and /etc directories in the remastered image.

1. Normal customization will not suppress the personal-setting popup, but will include in the customization the main language (locale) and hostname selections. The user need not let the settings function restart X or exit to the prompt if those settings are made solely for the remaster. If one wants to suppress the popup, add this null file to the /tmp/etc directory when allowed to view that directory: personal_settings_popup_disabled.

2. If one intends to use the entire /etc directory in the remaster, there is now no need to also choose customization (to suppress the popup), since the replacement constitutes a "complete customization". After the directory replacement, two indicators are automatically set into the remaster, to suppress both the popup and the prompt for saving of personal data:
  • /etc/personal_settings_popup_disabled
    /etc/personal_data_save_disabled
Therefore the remastered "complete customization" CD will boot without the popup and will not prompt for a save file/partition/CD. But the user can nullify either behavior by deleting the appropriate indicator file and remastering the remaster without any customization, if necessary.
Richard
I installed update-001 and patch-09
Added several pets, changed wm to jwm, made a few other changes and ran the remaster script

Per my usual method, I deleted /root in /tmp directory and replaced with /root in rox
then I deleted /etc in /tmp directory and replaced with /etc in rox

completed remaster process

Booted remastered cd and checked the changes.
No pop up and no prompt for save on shutdown.

It keeps getting better and better.

Do you think o1micko would consider these changes in Slacko and Mr. Kauler in Wary?

Thanks again for making these changes.

majorfoo

playdayz

#406 Post by playdayz »

Instant Update 002 -> h[url]ttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=579480#579480[/url]
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#407 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
Highlights - Please test these

rerwin's enhancements and repairs to the remaster script - Menu -> Setup -> Remaster Puppy live-cd

I have remastered lucid-528 several times using rewin's changes in patch 08 and patch 09. Both work as he indicates in his posts.

Looks good to me

majorfoo

playdayz

#408 Post by playdayz »

Does anyone know how to associate a protocol (in this case mms) with a program in Firefox?

Putting a protocol handler into /root/Choices/URI works for Iron, but not for Firefox. The protocol handler is just a symlink to defaultmediaplayer, same as the link for rtsp that is already there.

The goal is to play Watch Live on this page
http://216.195.129.142/Cablecast/Public ... hannelID=1

Iron will do it with this pet installed.

Thanks for any help.
Attachments
mms-handler.png
(11.4 KiB) Downloaded 1860 times
mms-fix.pet
(364 Bytes) Downloaded 231 times

scsijon

#409 Post by scsijon »

playdayz wrote: Testing Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/test0 ... 28-002.pet
could not close down the correct way after installing this update, even breaking out from C-A-F1>Ctrl-C to a # prompt then typing restart, poweroff or halt just restarted xwin

In the end I just had to use the big white power button

when starting again it dropped to a prompt (good, this is what it should do), so I typed restart and it shutdown and restarted properly

James C

#410 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:Does anyone know how to associate a protocol (in this case mms) with a program in Firefox?

Putting a protocol handler into /root/Choices/URI works for Iron, but not for Firefox. The protocol handler is just a symlink to defaultmediaplayer, same as the link for rtsp that is already there.

The goal is to play Watch Live on this page
http://216.195.129.142/Cablecast/Public ... hannelID=1

Iron will do it with this pet installed.

Thanks for any help.
Try here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 063#446063

Might at least give you an idea... :)

EDIT:
For what it's worth,that link won't play in Firefox or Opera in Mepis 11 either.
Couldn't get it to work here but maybe you'll have better luck.