Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jim3630

#331 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote: Here's something to test for possible inclusion in the next Instant Update.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/alsa_ ... 1.0.24.pet

The latest Dillo 3.0.1 small & fast web browser

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid528.pet
playdayz thanks for the pets, been using dillo in 5x8 it's the fastest ever used. will test alsa_driver and report.

rerwin

#332 Post by rerwin »

smokey01 wrote: I'm not sure if the boot to desktop script was fixed in 528, it wasn't in 525.
Yes, 528 does not require any special preparation for the boot-to-desktop feature. It was recoded to avoid that.

Volhout, The remaster function is promarily for creating clean updated versions of puppy, with all the added packages for it. Remaster may or may not be accurate for added application packages, because it does not include everything an application might need. It does, however, remaster everything in the /usr directory. If you need more detail, please ask, here.
Richard

Hotdog

#333 Post by Hotdog »

Smokey01, one of the links that you gave never showed up under any permutation of searching--and it is what I needed. Thank you!

Rerwin, getting added applications into a remaster is what I want. Thanks for the comment regarding that. I'll be especially watchful now for any extra effort that it may require. Having everything work from a remastered Live CD would be great. Second best would be to have all added apps visible in the new Live CD and use a companion .iso for an install.

smokey01

#334 Post by smokey01 »

Hotdog wrote:Smokey01, one of the links that you gave never showed up under any permutation of searching--and it is what I needed. Thank you!

Rerwin, getting added applications into a remaster is what I want. Thanks for the comment regarding that. I'll be especially watchful now for any extra effort that it may require. Having everything work from a remastered Live CD would be great. Second best would be to have all added apps visible in the new Live CD and use a companion .iso for an install.
Hotdog it is possible to have a standard Lupu-528.iso then make your own private myapps.sfs file. This sfs file can be loaded at bootup and all the additional software will show up in your menus just like the default stuff.

Look here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6bf#552668

Puppy is pretty cool.

rerwin

Feedback on alsa driver 1.0.24

#335 Post by rerwin »

Larry,
In my investigation of the alsawizard and its use of retrovol, I see that the new driver version eliminates one of two error messages retrovol issues to /tmp/xerrs.log. This message is no longer produced:
  • retrovol: control.c:400: snd_ctl_elem_read: Assertion `ctl && control && (control->id.name[0] || control->id.numid)' failed.
Yay! However, this one remains:
  • Control hw:0 open error: No such file or directory
The speaker icon still disappears from the tray. Judging from lupu 5.2.5, the speaker should remain but with a tiny red X added to indicate "muted".

Now to track down why the hw:0 open fails.
Richard

Tman

#336 Post by Tman »

I found a problem with this Puplet.

When I tried to mount a puppy ISO file by clicking on it I got an error message.
Upon further investigation, I noticed that the same thing happens for me in many modern puplets and was wondering if anyone out there knows of the solution to get puppy to mount an ISO file by clicking on it?
Attachments
mount-fail.jpg
mount fails when clicking on the ISO file
(8.62 KiB) Downloaded 1532 times

Tman

#337 Post by Tman »

runtt21 found the solution for me;

Apparently the problem is occuring because I only have 1 main partition on this computer and the ISO was on this same partition. The ISO file needs to be on a partition OTHER than /usr/mnt/home.

I don't not intend to make another partition on this hard-drive, but I copied an ISO file to a USB stick and tried mounting it from there by clicking on the file.
It work like a charm, so this problem is now solved. :)

But it would be nice if the mounting option worked on the home drive.

bigpup

#338 Post by bigpup »

Tman,

I can not duplicate your problem mounting ISO file.
I can put an ISO file anyplace and mount and open in Rox.
Sometimes Rox will error, but closing and restarting Rox corrects.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

2byte

#339 Post by 2byte »

Playdayz,

Just a heads up, the JWM / Pupsave Hot Backup incompatibility has been resolved, and everything is smooth sailing now.

BTW, I notice that glxgears is producing about a 20% better fps than 511 with my built-in Radeon 200G and Xorg-High. 8) Lucid Puppy keeps getting better and better.

playdayz

#340 Post by playdayz »

I am helping to test Slacko from now until its release. I hope you will too. Thanks.

Puppy Projects -> Slacko B5 (currently)

Tman

#341 Post by Tman »

bigpup wrote:Tman,

I can not duplicate your problem mounting ISO file.
I can put an ISO file anyplace and mount and open in Rox.
Sometimes Rox will error, but closing and restarting Rox corrects.
That's wierd. Is your /mnt/home drive a Windows partition, like mine is? Or is it a linux partition?

EDIT: I just got a hunch (I am kinda psychic - either that or I am a loon). I renamed the folder where I keep my .iso files from ISO Files to ISO_Files and the mounting works. yay! :). So to problem is it doesn't like the the space character in the folder name.

ASRI éducation

#342 Post by ASRI éducation »

Based on the 528, ASRI Edu 300 FR is available.
- ASRI Edu Teachers 300 (237Mb) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68656
- ASRI Edu Kids Full 300 (679Mb) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47805
:wink:

rerwin

Fix for vanishing speaker icon

#343 Post by rerwin »

Larry,
I am attaching patch-6, which is patch-5 plus an updated ALSA wizard. The wizard now restores the speaker icon and retrovol mixer after completing its operations. The icon will still disappear while the driver update process occurs, but reappears after the final two barks. Although I have not verified this, the icon should be restored even if you abort after electing to run the wizard; as a last resort, the speaker icon can be restored by restarting the X server.

In addition, its initial message to the user, taken from wary, give the option to abort the wizard without anything being changed internally -- the shutdown of all the sound drivers.

Can those of you concerned with sound card wizard issues please try the new patch package? For best results, consider including the alsa-driver package posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 075#569075

I think this is the last outstanding sound issue at this point. So, now is a good time to report any further sound problems -- or any that I have left out.
Richard

Atle

#344 Post by Atle »

5.2.8 is really really great now. Its getting hard to find problems.

(embarrassing sound problem resolved and post edited) :D
Attachments
image-1.png
The weird message(for me)
(36.88 KiB) Downloaded 456 times

ASRI éducation

#345 Post by ASRI éducation »

playdayz wrote:
I get an error when launching Inkscape (installed via Quickpet).
cf. screenshot.
Hmmm. It starts for me, in Lucid 5.2.8 with the Instant Update 001 and the Super Multimedia Upgrade installed. It does throw some warnings in a terminal, but they are not the fatal bus error that you get.

I will have to experiment some more. Thanks.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Try this. It is from portablelinuxapps.com. However, it still throws gtk warnings when it starts, but it *seems* not to throw any when it is running. Since that is the same thing that the 0.47 pet in Quickpet does, I am not totally optimistic. Inkscape is a nasty thing to compile because it needs a whole lot of dependencies--so I gave up on that.

Thanks because in playing with this I found the solution to the gtk errors I mentioned--Ubuntu has updated the libgtk used in Lucid and with the new one -> no errors.

Oh, I'll post it in a minute ;-)

->->-> libgtk-2.20.1 <-<-<-

This is an update from Ubuntu and it prevents excessive numbers of gtk warnings being thrown by inkscape (not inkscape lite). I would bet it did other good things. It should be in the next update unless testers find problems. Thanks..

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid528.pet
Hello playdayz,

Sorry for my lack of responsiveness, but I was busy with the development of ASRI Edu 300.

I tried the package Inkscape-0.48.0-Lucid.pet. It's ok, it works (but it is limited to English, I could not get him to accept french .mo).

I then added libgtk-2.20.1-lucid528.pet. Since this addition, when I launch Inkscape, I have no error message in the console.

:wink:

scsijon

525 Full to 528 Upgrade?

#346 Post by scsijon »

Has anyone done a 525 full to 528 full upgrade yet?

And are their some gotyas to deal with?

In the past the things I have done are, copy the /root to a safe place and reinstall pets/programs after upgrade, then bring back the root components and my data for what didn't work afterwards.

However this is the first time (I think) we have a 'propper' upgrade.

rerwin

Unfounded concern - please ignore it.

#347 Post by rerwin »

scsijon,
Although I have not done an upgrade of a full installation, I am the person who updated the script that performs the update process. I am therefore interested in how it works for you.
scsijon wrote:However this is the first time (I think) we have a 'propper' upgrade.
Well, we have an improved update script that cleans out obsolete files and makes some corrections. The "catch" or "gotcha" is that the old version of the updater runs when you install 528 over 525 (or other earlier lupu). The new updater gets added after everything else. because you don't want to replace it while the old version is running, which could cause it to abort.

The avoid the "catch", I created a small pre-upgrade package that installs the new updater, so the new updater is available when needed for the full upgrade. I have not reviewed that package since beginning work on 528, so need a little time to do that before adding it to this thread.

Background about the pre-upgrade package: It is associated with my package that can be used to add the "modem-modprobe" updates to any lucid pup before 527. But since that package is now part of lupu 528, I need to make the pre-upgrade package more readily available to users of 528.

To get the best results from your upgrade, please wait for me to post the pre-upgrade package after I have verified that it is up to date with what is needed for 528. It probably is, but I want to be sure.

Thanks for asking the question, so that I can do what I should have done earlier, but overlooked in my quest to get 528 right.

However, there is one thing I am concerned about that you might already know. I am not convinced that the updated versions of utilities such as pburn and pfind get placed into the new pupsave or full installation. If that is the case, things look ugly, in that you are stuck with older versions. Please tell me what you know about that.

EDIT: This is actually not a concern. It applies only to frugal installations where a "modem-modprobe" package has been installed. It is very unlikely that any lucid-pup users installed such a package, so this issue can be ignored. (Anyone who has installed such a package can get the pre-update package in the same thread where they got "modem-modprobe".)
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#348 Post by Sage »

I only work with FULL installs for all the reasons expounded previously, even though Barry never intended it to run this way. I have been aware of some issues, but they have rarely got in the way of what I expect. Important data and downloads have generally not been compromised - that is the main concern. However, I would be most interested to learn about the outcome of the present deliberations. I suppose the question to ask is how the major distros contend with the Catch22 issues because they are intended to be used as FULL installations in most cases.

scsijon

#349 Post by scsijon »

rerwin wrote:scsijon,
Although I have not done an upgrade of a full installation, I am the person who updated the script that performs the update process. I am therefore interested in how it works for you.
scsijon wrote:However this is the first time (I think) we have a 'propper' upgrade.
Well, we have an improved update script that cleans out obsolete files and makes some corrections. The "catch" or "gotcha" is that the old version of the updater runs when you install 528 over 525 (or other earlier lupu). The new updater gets added after everything else. because you don't want to replace it while the old version is running, which could cause it to abort.

The avoid the "catch", I created a small pre-upgrade package that installs the new updater, so the new updater is available when needed for the full upgrade. I have not reviewed that package since beginning work on 528, so need a little time to do that before adding it to this thread.

Background about the pre-upgrade package: It is associated with my package that can be used to add the "modem-modprobe" updates to any lucid pup before 527. But since that package is now part of lupu 528, I need to make the pre-upgrade package more readily available to users of 528.

To get the best results from your upgrade, please wait for me to post the pre-upgrade package after I have verified that it is up to date with what is needed for 528. It probably is, but I want to be sure.

Thanks for asking the question, so that I can do what I should have done earlier, but overlooked in my quest to get 528 right.

However, there is one thing I am concerned about that you might already know. I am not convinced that the updated versions of utilities such as pburn and pfind get placed into the new pupsave or full installation. If that is the case, things look ugly, in that you are stuck with older versions. Please tell me what you know about that.
Richard
OK Richard,

I do use pfind and have found it updated as long as there are no extraneous devices mounted OR rox was used to mount partitions, the console mount and unmount commands seem to work ok. Currently I have Pfind version 421 in my 525 according to the .pfind config file (couldn't see anywhere else to find it).
Pburn is version 334, I haven't use it yet as my sat workstation has only just got a writer installed, cost $1 down the local tip's swap shed and it's even dual layer with Lightscribe, a 'steal', reads a lot faster than my old 8X dvd reader too :D .
Hope these are still right for 525 as I have done a 'few' pets since.

I shall await your pre-updater. Then I shall have a go the following weekend, use my full puppy documentation process rather than the shortened one I usually use for updates, just in case, and post results with comments the following week. Maybe this time I will also pre-copy the whole partition to my backup drive, there is too much to copy to a stick or burn a dvd across the e'net this time, just in case either the result of the upgrade is unworkable or will be too time consuming to deal with!

I do wish one of our 'senior' programming guru's would consider taking on the project of splitting installed apps/pet's into a separate prenamed/automounted sfs for what is not in /root. Not as easy task as you would think as there are many hidden links, paths and the like to deal with!

@sage and others,
I use full installs, when I am happy that the frugal release is bedded down to 'my' satisfaction. These are also used for my developing and long term systems after trying the combination of apps and utilities I work with on a daily basis. I also find they seem to run faster than frugals on most of my workstations, none of which is less than four years old.

regards
scsijon
edits, damn typsos

rerwin

#350 Post by rerwin »

scsijon,
Good news! My concerns about the pre-upgrade package apply only to frugal installations where a "modem-modprobe" package has been installed and where the new puppy is older than lupu 527. For full installations, the entire new version of puppy is copied into the installation before the rc.update script is run. So the new version is used.

Regarding the puppy applications: If you have installed any dot-pet packages that upgrade puppy components or bundled applications, I suggest uninstalling them before upgrading lupu, unless you know you prefer your version over that in 528. Say, if you upgraded pfind, the puppy installer has a record of that, which probably remains after a puppy upgrade. Uninstalling the added pfind would remove that record, but it would also delete pfind itself, which is OK if you do the upgrade before trying to use it. Without the uninstallation, the installer will still use the new puppy version of pfind if it is timestamped as newer than the dot-pet version. Another risk is that an updated app might delete or change the name of one of its files; without uninstallation, the old file will be left behind.

So, feel free to continue with your upgrade of the full installation. And frugal installations, as well (except for the case explained in the edit to my previous message).
Richard