Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
cthisbear

#301 Post by cthisbear »

" It is a 2007 year made Dell. "

::::::

What a special company they are.

I rescued a Dell Dimension 3100 this week.
What a crap bios...hours spent fixing a boot error.

:::::::::::

And booting some Dells from USB.....ughhh!!

That's why I switched to my Hiren's Boot cd method.
No failures.

Here is a strange thing though.
Netbooks I have tested only like 4 gigs....on a USB.
Eeepc's are one such animal.

Tried 8 and 16 gig...they hate it.

My little Acer netbook stalls at startup.
Funnily if you are in Windows and reboot...not cold start..
the usb will boot....16gig Toshiba.

I had a new Toshiba laptop last week with the same error..

Toshiba Satellite C665 PSC2EA-01H00E

fixing Win7 so it stuffs up less in future.

Hiren's method and the files needed in my third last post.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=30

""""""""""""""

I tried Puppy 5.28 in the Dell
with a >>> LB Link wireless usb >> BL-LW06-AR 300M

Perfect...no issues in 2 Headed Dog.

http://www.jx.com.au/product_info.php?p ... 34faec9805

Chris.

Bruce_n_Duane

No Sound

#302 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

SOLVED
Solving this may help others with sound!

I just bought a new Hannspree HannBook SN10E2
It has an Intel HDA Sound Card.

From my Toshiba Laptop I built a Frugal Install Lucid 528 USB Flash Drive on a PNY 4GB Clip Drive.

When I boot the Hannspree with this USB drive I have sound and the speaker is in the tray.

I used this USB Drive to repartition my Hannspree and install GRUB and Frugal Install Lucid 528 on the harddrive.

When I boot from the hard drive Lucid 528, no sound card is detected, no sound, and no speaker icon in the tray. Just like robotgirl!

When I boot from the USB flash drive Lucid 528, I have sound and a speaker in the tray.

I tried the ALSA Wizard and it saw my HDA-Intel sound card but had an I/O error just before the sound test and no sound. Just like robotgirl. retrovol returns the same error message.

The differences between the USB and hard drive Lucid versions
USB is much slower -- so if it is a timing problem this could be a clue.
USB no subdirectory for Lucid files vs Hard Disk files in subdir 0_Lucid528
USB boots with syslinux vs Hard Disk use GRUB
USB has a different pupmode vs hard disk pupmode

The Lucid savefile was copied to the USB drive from the Toshiba Laptop.
This save file was used to test the Hannspree in the store and sound works.
This save file was copied from the USB drive to the Hannspree hard disk and no sound when booted using GRUB on hard disk.

Solution:
The USB flash drive was a fresh build of Lucid 525 with Toshiba save file.
I renamed the savefile and changed the GRUB menu.lst to PFIX=ram.
Booted and created a new savefile. This gave me sound on the Hannspree.
I am still adding the pets to build the Hannspree version of Lucid 525 back to what I have on the Toshiba Laptop. I then will compare the two savefiles to see what is different. It must be something in the two laptop configurations that caused the sound to go away or be blocked.

Any clue's as to where I should start looking?

-Bruce.
Last edited by Bruce_n_Duane on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

eternal-sunshine

Strange PFind behaviour

#303 Post by eternal-sunshine »

I just did a search using Pfind looking for "orbit" file and now see over 2800 !!! folders under /. See attached jpg.

I havent gone through all 2800 odd of them but the ones I did open are all empty.

Anyone any ideas what is happening?

(using puppy 528 with update 001 frugal install)
Attachments
after Pfind search.jpg
(105.36 KiB) Downloaded 250 times

playdayz

Re: Strange PFind behaviour

#304 Post by playdayz »

I just tried that in 3HD and it worked OK. Here is the address of the latest Pfind. You need pfilesearch also. This would be the first thing to try. Thanks.
eternal-sunshine wrote:I just did a search using Pfind looking for "orbit" file and now see over 2800 !!! folders under /. See attached jpg.

I havent gone through all 2800 odd of them but the ones I did open are all empty.

Anyone any ideas what is happening?

(using puppy 528 with update 001 frugal install)

eternal-sunshine

#305 Post by eternal-sunshine »

playdayz,
Thanks for your reply. (you didn't give a link but I'll track it down.)
Away from my PC for next 24 hrs but will try then.
Thanks again

2byte

#306 Post by 2byte »

2 repeatable issues/bugs to report, lupu528 downloaded and installed 9-24-11.
Frugal install /sda1/lupu528/ on ext3, booting from grub.

1) After initial setup and using the firstrun wizard to set timezone and change res to 1440x900. No other changes. After two or three boots the openbox taskbar disappears and will not return. Switch to jwm via WM Switcher and taskbar appears. Switch back to openbox, no taskbar.

2) Install a simple pet by clicking the pet in rox (bash script with menu). Click the menu item in jwm, screen locks. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, xwin brings the system back. Sometimes the screen does not lock but the app does not run. top shows no process for it. The app runs fine from a desktop icon or clicking the script or the /usr/share/applications/ .desktop file. Switch back to openbox and the menu item works.

This repeated through 4 fresh frugal installs with or without Xorg-high. All md5sums are correct.

Does this need the instant update? I downloaded it from the link on the first post two days ago.

Regards,
2byte

playdayz

#307 Post by playdayz »

1) After initial setup and using the firstrun wizard to set timezone and change res to 1440x900. No other changes. After two or three boots the openbox taskbar disappears and will not return. Switch to jwm via WM Switcher and taskbar appears. Switch back to openbox, no taskbar.

2) Install a simple pet by clicking the pet in rox (bash script with menu). Click the menu item in jwm, screen locks. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, xwin brings the system back. Sometimes the screen does not lock but the app does not run. top shows no process for it. The app runs fine from a desktop icon or clicking the script or the /usr/share/applications/ .desktop file. Switch back to openbox and the menu item works.
2-byte, We haven't seen either of these before, to my knowledge. The Instant Update shouldn't hurt, but it was not designed to fix either problem.

On #2, what is the pet you are installing? We test Lucid pets but don't test all pets of course. Does this happen with *any* pet?
On #1, It seems you are saying no other programs/pets have been installed??? Nothing else has been done, except reboots???

nimbus

xine transport

#308 Post by nimbus »

When I open xine now I have no transport, I closed the transport instead of main window last time I used it. starting xine from menu or mounting dvd player I no longer have a transport. can someone tell me how to get it back?
Thanks
Scott

2byte

#309 Post by 2byte »

playdayz

The pet is here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 325#371325 On some setups I have installed Xorg_High and Firefox from quickpet with no problem. Other than that nothing.

EDIT : Forgot to mention that the desktop file has been removed from that pet linked above.

Yes, on one setup with nothing installed, just reboots and restarts loses the openbox taskbar. Jwm menu issue is present in all other 528 frugal installs. FWIW Lupu511 has been running perfectly on this box since the day it was released.

AMD Sempron 1790 MHz
512 MB ram
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200G

eternal-sunshine

#310 Post by eternal-sunshine »

playdayz

All seems to be okay now with my install of Pfind. No idea why I got that strange result before.

Thanks for your help as ever. What a great release 528 is !

playdayz

#311 Post by playdayz »

When I open xine now I have no transport, I closed the transport instead of main window last time I used it. starting xine from menu or mounting dvd player I no longer have a transport. can someone tell me how to get it back?
Thanks
Hi nimbus, If I understand correctly, you can press g to make the gui ("transport") appear and disappear. You can also press f to go from full screen and back.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 16:19, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#312 Post by playdayz »

2-byte, I have thought some more overnight.

1. Boot fresh (pfix=ram) and *do not* change the resolution with the first run wizard, but Menu -> Shutdown ->. Exit to prompt and run 'xorgwizard'. Select the resolution you want there. Ah, better yet, boot pfix=ram *and* pfix=nox. Then you will stop at a prompt. Run xorgwizard and then xwin to start X.

2. If you still have the problem then it is not the resolution change, so step 2, boot like in #1 but do not change anything with first run wizard.

3. Boot like #2 and immediately install the Instant Update 001.

4. Try to use 3HD Version 2 Take 2. There are changes shinobar and rerwin made to the first run wizard. You might want to just do this first. If you like 5.1.1 then I hope you will really like 3HD.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

More -> 2-byte, I see, the pet is your PupSave backup. I just ran it in 3HD and it worked--no problem. 3HD has a version of gtkdialog4--the next Instant Update to 5.2.8 will have gtkdialog4. I would like to include PupSave backup in that Instant Update and in the next version of 3HD--it seems very useful. As you say, the current version has no desktop entry but we can fix that easy enough when it is time for the update. Probably no updates until after Slacko is released. Thanks.

Add, question. The backup had the icon of a binary and no sfs extension. Could you explain how that works. Why not back it up with the sfs extension? I added an sfs extension but then I got a message that it was an sfs3 filesystem? Thanks again.

bigpup

Re: No Sound

#313 Post by bigpup »

Bruce_n_Duane wrote:SOLVED
Solution:
I then will compare the two savefiles to see what is different. It must be something in the two laptop configurations that caused the sound to go away or be blocked.

Any clue's as to where I should start looking?

-Bruce.
Basic workings of a save file. When you make a save file, it contains settings and configurations for the computer it was made on. Those setting are specific for that computer and used by Puppy when booted.
Those settings and configurations will not work on a different computer.
A separate save file is needed for each computer.

A USB flash drive will boot fresh on any computer, but when you make a save file, you have dedicated it to that computer.
To use on another computer.
Boot with option puppy pfix=ram
make a new save file for this computer.
Now when you boot Puppy you get option to choose which save file to use.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

2byte

#314 Post by 2byte »

playdayz

I have recreated the problem on a different computer and I can tell you how to reproduce it. There is definitely a conflict with jwm and my script in 5.28. It takes my script to make it happen. :(
It does not have to be 'installed' it just has to be run from a jwm menu.
Put the script in /root/my-applications/bin and a desktop file to run it in the usual place.
Fixmenus.
Run the script from the openbox menu.
Switch to jwm and run from the jwm menu. At this point my desktop will lock up.
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, xwin.
Use the WM switcher to change to openbox. If the taskbar hasn't vanished, reboot.
My openbox taskbar is gone.
Open pfbpanel from the menu and look at the 'Enter maximum width of taskbar' field. Mine is now set to 150. Change it to match your display width, click OK in the first tab. My taskbar is back.

Whatever causes jwm to lock up somehow borks the taskbar configuration in openbox.

I just had a thought while writing this. Unfortunately I don't have time to put it to the test until tonight.
I'll report back.

Could anyone tell me how to list all exported bash variables from the terminal? I wonder if one of my exported variables is clobbering an existing one.

2byte

#315 Post by 2byte »

playdyaz

The offending code in my script is

Code: Select all

if [ "`top -n 1 | grep Pupsave-backup`" ]; then 
Why that would crash jwm is beyond me.

I'll upload a new pet complete with menu tomorrow. If you would like to use it, feel free.
Add, question. The backup had the icon of a binary and no sfs extension. Could you explain how that works. Why not back it up with the sfs extension? I added an sfs extension but then I got a message that it was an sfs3 filesystem? Thanks again.
The save file extension would be 2fs or 3fs depending on the partition type, not sfs. I set it up to append the date/time so it would not show up in the boot screen, since it is a backup.

Regards
2byte

playdayz

#316 Post by playdayz »

The save file extension would be 2fs or 3fs depending on the partition type, not sfs. I set it up to append the date/time so it would not show up in the boot screen, since it is a backup.
Gotcha. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Firefox 7.0***

Here's Firefox 7.0 for Lucid and 3HD.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid525.pet

Flashplayer 10.3.183.10

There is a new Flashplayer. The Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8 has a program GetFlash under Internet. Flashplayer is coming so often now that it doesn't hurt to run that every week or so to stay current--running it does not use any extra memory--the new Flashplayer replaces the old one.

Opera 11.51

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Seamonkey 2.4

Google Chrome 14

TOR-Browser 2.2.32-4
Surf Anonymously - Now with Firefox 6.0.2

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... ucid52.pet

jim3630

#317 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:
Gotcha. Thanks.

***Firefox 7.0***

Here's Firefox 7.0 for Lucid and 3HD.

Flashplayer 10.3.183.10

There is a new Flashplayer. The Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8 has a program GetFlash under Internet. Flashplayer is coming so often now that it doesn't hurt to run that every week or so to stay current--running it does not use any extra memory--the new Flashplayer replaces the old one.

Opera 11.51

Seamonkey 2.4

Google Chrome 14

TOR-Browser 2.2.32-4
Surf Anonymously - Now with Firefox 6.0.2

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... ucid52.pet
woo hoo, thanks playdayz! looks like these are the same as posted for 529. are these interchangeable?

chapchap70

Re: bootflash

#318 Post by chapchap70 »

corianspirit wrote:About Lucid 5.2.8 , Great job for finally solving the "cannot boot from usb flash without harddisk". The latest Woof is really great.

I just want to report that it can work flawlessly for ALL COMPUTER THAT CAN BOOT FROM USB only if you format the usb flash using "bootflash USB installer" thus using the whole usb flash and fat32 format.

If you use "universal USB installer" or try to change the partition in any way, then the usb will either not boot at all or the old problem reappear or it will only work in a very few modern computer.

BTW, maybe it is better if this forum in sorted from the latest date first ??

When I went from Lucid 5.2 to 5.2.5 on my work computer with no hard drive, I was no longer able to boot from my flash drive. I tried using the update pet to fix it but was unsuccessful and did not spend more time on it. I just used a CD and my lupusave on my flashdrive.

With 5.2.8, I am able to boot from my flash drive again. I moved my files (including my lupusave), used the Universal Installer to update my flash drive, then moved the files back. My computer at work is an old Dell with 512 megs of RAM.

rerwin

Updated patch package for next instant update

#319 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
After holding off for addition of more fixes, I need to post my collection of fixes now to support the users reporting problems with sound and, particularly the intel HDA driver. The package includes the content of "patch-4', so replaces it (or can be installed on top of "-4" or after uninstalling "-4").

One of the fixes relates to the verification that a module is loaded. A module with a name that includes hyphens (-) may be erroneously deemed to be not present, which could disrupt the startup of sound cards, if there is a delay in the loading process. Anyone with a sound card problem should install this patch, to rule out this bug as a cause of failure of the sound function.

Another included fix is the adoption of Barry's fix to the rc.shutdown script, which he explains in his blog. Anyone experiencing hangs at shutdown with partitions mounted should install this package.

I will itemize the fixes later, but need to make this available to the users with sound issues.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 23:44, edited 4 times in total.

Icyos

#320 Post by Icyos »

Hi All

Fab and many thanks to all who have made 5.28 what it is......awesome :lol: