Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#2791 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Nooby
@Rerwin is the maintainer of the latest PUPPY, here. As such, the ONLY person who can update the opening post of this thread for updates is @Playdayz. It is going to need @Playdayz to keep this thread accurately showing where the downloads are. So far, though, you and others will have to constantly hunt to find current PUPPY(s) of this distro.

Hope this provides some understanding.

nooby

#2792 Post by nooby »

Thanks GC Martin
Yes that was helpful.

I did a hunt and managed to find how
to download from Shinobar instead of Rerwin.

I will test if it worked out food soon.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rerwin

#2793 Post by rerwin »

nooby,
The first page of this thread begins with
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 AUG 17 2011
Version 005 released APR 05 2012
Version 5.2.8.6 released NOV 25 2013

The version in this thread (5.2.8-005) is the last version of Lucid Puppy coordinated by playdayz. Forum member rerwin has prepared an updated version named Lucid 5.2.8.6, which contains numerous updates, including the Puppy programs such as Pmusic, Pburn, and PupControl, etc., along with advances in hardware detection and drivers, as well as many updates in the basic infrastructure of all Puppies that have been introduced since the last version of Lucid. There are download links plus links to complete descriptions of the changes at the new page for Lucid 5.2.8.6. -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461
That link goes to the first page of the 5.2.8.6 thread. That page contains all of the links to the downloads for 5.2.8.6. Please use the versions from there, because the mirrors may not be keeping synchronized (although there have been no changes for about a month).

I see that shinobar's lupus are up to date, but the lupusupers are not. I recommend lupusuper2, to get the optimal configuration.
Richard

nooby

#2794 Post by nooby »

Thanks Rerwin that worked well will test the latest iso now.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Pelo

video francophone (frenchy) about Lazy-FReD

#2795 Post by Pelo »

video francophone (frenchy) about Lazy-FReD
CLICKez
Attachments
setup.jpg
(75.75 KiB) Downloaded 472 times

kenh

Dropbox

#2796 Post by kenh »

So far, Dropbox is the only application I miss in this Puppy. I tried to add a Dropbox pet but it didn't show up in the menu. I suppose it would have to be compiled for this version? I've also used Droper with another Puppy, but that version no longer works. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Btw, putting the lock icon in the bottom right corner, as suggested to someone else, solved the problem I had with icons not staying put. Thanks.

Semme

#2797 Post by Semme »

rerwin

Beta version of next 5.2.8.6 uploaded for regression testing

#2798 Post by rerwin »

lupu-5.2.8.6 users,
The next set of 5.2.8.6 uploads includes modifications to several networking tools. Before releasing the full set of lupu/sulus, I ask those of you using frisbee, pgprs, pppoe, gpptp or pupdial to verify that they continue to operate as you expect.

Frisbee (1.2) now supports pppoe and mobile wireless, in a way that is integrated with those tools. It also now supports static IP addresses and connects wireless more reliably at bootup, thanks to work by npierce, and unblocks wireless interfaces (as does SNS), thanks to peebee. More details on the new frisbee are here:

I discovered the virtual private network interface, gpptp, by jafadmin and have upgraded to the version used in precise pup and beyond, after receiving some guidance from him. I am considering adding to frisbee a new tab for "Virtual Networks" that would provide a way to fine-tune the gpptp configuration, as well as contain a button to start gpptp. I would very much like to hear from any of you who use a VPN, to get your assessment of gpptp and openvpn, to determine whether it would be worthwhile to add gpptp but not interfere with openvpn.

For now, I have uploaded only a beta version of the basic lupu, 20140309-beta:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/lbzb6 ... 9-beta.iso Obsolete - use released versions:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 433#766433

UPDATE 3/13/2014: Now also uploaded, lupusuper2, 20140309-beta:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jslf3 ... 9-beta.iso Obsolete - use released versions

UPDATE 3/24/2014: Deactivated the links to the betas, now superseded by released versions.

The details of the new changes are at the end of the history message:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

Thank you for any testing help you can provide.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

Disk Images 20140321 Uploaded for General Use

#2799 Post by rerwin »

The following disk images are being uploaded:
  • lupu-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
    lupumini-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
    lupuplus-5.2.8.6-4.1.5-20140321.iso
    lupusuper2-5.2.8.6-k3.2.48-20140321.iso
    lupusuper2plus-5.2.8.6-k3.2.48-20140321.iso
    lupusuper4-5.2.8.6-k3.9.9-20140321.iso
The new ISO files are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2r ... es-5.2.8.6

The updated content history is at the end of the first posting on page 158:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

The notable addition since the beta versions is an updated HP printer database for CUPS, hpliplite. The other additions are uppdates from shinobar.

Unless some mistake is uncovered by users of these latest disk images/ISO files, I expect this to be the last update until we discover something that "needs" to be added, except that I will add the final version of libreoffice 4.1 (4.1.6) when it is released in May, affecting only the "plus" and "libre" versions.

My preference is to focus on the main/original lupu ISOs and the super2 and super4 ISOs, as they are based on ubuntu kernels and seem to be the most popular. I am open to continuing any of the others, but encourage users to migrate to lupu, sulu2 or sulu4. Please let me know if there remain situations that are not adequately handled by them; I will resume support of any of the others actually needed by someone.

And, as usual, I am open to continuing to work problems. If anyone develops a compatible kernel from the newest Ubuntu LTS, Trusty Tahr, I can take a shot at a "super5" hybrid lupu.
Richard

UPDATE 4/1/2014 & 4/2/2014: Uploaded:
  • lupulibre-5.2.8.6-4.1.5-20140321.iso
    lupu3hd-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
    lupusuper1-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
    lupusuper3-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 03 Apr 2014, 14:13, edited 3 times in total.

bigpup

#2800 Post by bigpup »

Lupusuper2-5.2.8.6-3.2.48-20140321
manual frugal install
initial boot

Quickpet->Drivers->Nvidia

No drivers available in repo for your card.

(I know there is a driver, for this card, in the repo, but it is not compiled for the kernel in Lupusuper2)

Need some graphics drivers compiled to support the different kernels being used in Lucid versions.

Must be someone, who has repo access, that could help.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2801 Post by bigpup »

Lupusuper2-5.2.8.6-3.2.48-20140321
manual frugal install to USB flash drive
initial boot
First shutdown.

Asked about how I wanted to save.
Selected save to sdb3 (use the entire partition) not a save file.

Next screen was blank with a blinking white line top left corner.
No message or anything saying save in progress.

This stayed for about 2 minutes and computer powered off.

Rebooted and seems the save was successful. The stuff that was added or changed was there.

Just info for others that this option to save to the entire partition does work, but nothing is going to tell you it is saving.

On a slow computer,
I could see this blinking white line would look like something not working. Could blink for many minutes before computer powers off.

Sure needs a message displayed indicating save in progress.
YaPI(any iso installer)

jeff757

Nvidia Drivers

#2802 Post by jeff757 »

For Nvidia drivers with kernel 3.2.48 go here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405 and look under PRECOMPILED: next to last /precise/opt.
For standard lupu with 2.6.33.2 use the last entry /lupu/opt.

jeff

rerwin

#2803 Post by rerwin »

bigpup wrote:Lupusuper2-5.2.8.6-3.2.48-20140321

Need some graphics drivers compiled to support the different kernels being used in Lucid versions.
I have already provided a set for lupusuper2 here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/39gu2e ... r2-k3.2.48 sfs
and
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/j93ga7 ... r2-k3.2.48 pets

I do not have access to the repo, so provide them that way. There is also a set for lupusuper4 (just navigate to them).

EDIT: BTW, since I intend the "plus" variants I provide to be collections of SFS files commonly needed in some installations, and since the nVidia graphics hardware is everywhere, maybe those drivers should be added to the "plus" ISOs. What is your thought regarding doing that? The current added files are for LibreOffice. Are there any other SFS files that would qualify?

Thank you for your report on saving to a partition. I wonder if the same behavior occurs under the regular lupu, 528-005 or precise pup. I am glad that it still does the job, albeit unnervingly.
Richard

bigpup

#2804 Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

I do not think it would be too hard for you to get access to add files to the Lucid Puppy repository at ibiblio.org
It seems to just be a matter of requesting to have access.
Playdayz had it :D :shock:

01micko has access.
Maybe ask him what you need to do.

This seems to be where you start.
http://www.ibiblio.org/share/
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2805 Post by bigpup »

since I intend the "plus" variants I provide to be collections of SFS files commonly needed in some installations, and since the nVidia graphics hardware is everywhere, maybe those drivers should be added to the "plus" ISOs. What is your thought regarding doing that?
That would be one solution.
However, you would need to provide several driver packages as well as ones for AMD/ATI hardware.
How much size would all of them add to the ISO files?
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#2806 Post by playdayz »

Quickpet->Drivers->Nvidia

No drivers available in repo for your card.

(I know there is a driver, for this card, in the repo, but it is not compiled for the kernel in Lupusuper2)

Must be someone, who has repo access, that could help.
We can do whatever is best for Lupu users. As soon as that is decided ;-) One problem: Unless someone rewrites the drivers section in Quickpet--which is not a trivial task--it is not going to know what to do with all of the kernel variants and proprietary drivers and new video hardware, as it was originally written for one kernel and that was complicated enough to get right (ask 01micko). My personal suggestion is to just delete the drivers tab from Quickpet for all but the 2.6.33.2 original kernel.

Putting in proprietary drivers for every kernel into the repo would be a heck of a lot of files, especially nivida drivers. And if they are in the repo, how many times are people going to download the wrong driver for their kernel? And making all those drivers would be a whole lot of work--compiling and packaging them is not trivial either.

One suggestion would be to link to the drivers right below the link to the iso for those who need the drivers. Or create a separate page.

Another suggestion: Discourage proprietary drivers. Yes, they are maybe 33% faster, but the open source Xorg drivers work wonderfully in most cases--and there is only one set. So I tell people to just install Xorg-High and call it good. That's what I do. Xorg-High gives hardware acceleration just the same as the proprietary drivers. rerwin might even consider adding Xorg_High to the iso, as both Slacko and Precise have done.

Yes, there are some new video cards and chips that the Xorg in Lupu cannot handle (such as my Lenovo g580 laptop). Proprietary drivers *might* work in those *if Lupu has the requirements to compile them* and they are not Intel. That seems like a lot of work, when there are a wonderful bunch of Puppies, Slacko, Precise, Lxpup, and a number of others, that run splendidly on my laptop, and I can configure them to run just like Lupu.

bigpup

#2807 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Want to do a test to see if Quickpet->Drivers->nvidia will work for Lupusuper2?

Put this pet package in the ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid repository.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/g4o0l ... 3.2.48.pet
Make sure it is listed in the ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/Pac ... d-official

This is the driver I need for my hardware.

I will see if Quickpet will find it when I am running Lupusuper2.

I think it will as long as the driver pet is in the repo.
The repo has the Nvidia drivers for Lucid 5286 and Lupu3hd 5286 and Quickpet has no problem finding them.
I have tried it in both and it worked OK.
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#2808 Post by playdayz »

My position is that 5.2.8.005 was the last official Lucid Puppy. Lucid 5.2.8.6 is a Puppy derivative, and no other puppy derivatives get space in the ibiblio repo. rerwin has created a viable Puppy subculture--but I don't think it should receive privileges that other unofficial Puppies do not get. This is also just my opinion. rerwin knows who to ask. I am out of it. Best, larry

bigpup

#2809 Post by bigpup »

rerwin knows who to ask
With Barry K gone, who does have the control to say what is an official Puppy?
YaPI(any iso installer)

mavrothal

#2810 Post by mavrothal »

bigpup wrote:
rerwin knows who to ask
With Barry K gone, who does have the control to say what is an official Puppy?
Barry K
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==