Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#2701 Post by bigpup »

Lupu3HD5.2.8.6 frugal install + save file
Wireles USB adapter working.
In 3HD, when you search /var/log/messages for "ath9k_htc", what messages do you see?

Code: Select all

Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 1-2: ath9k_htc: Transferred FW: ar9271.fw, size: 51312
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 1-2: ath9k_htc: HTC initialized with 33 credits
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.debug kernel: tg3 0000:02:00.0: PME# enabled
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.info kernel: pci 0000:00:1c.0: wake-up capability enabled by ACPI
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.debug kernel: ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x60
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.debug kernel: ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.debug kernel: ath: Country alpha2 being used: 00
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.debug kernel: ath: Regpair used: 0x60
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.debug kernel: Registered led device: ath9k-phy0::radio
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.debug kernel: Registered led device: ath9k-phy0::assoc
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.debug kernel: Registered led device: ath9k-phy0::tx
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.debug kernel: Registered led device: ath9k-phy0::rx
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 1-2: ath9k_htc: USB layer initialized
Nov 28 05:54:47 puppypc user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver ath9k_hif_usb
Lupusuper-5.2.8.6-k3.0.25-2131124
frugal install + save file
Wireless not working.

Nov 27 04:44:23 puppypc user.err kernel: [   20.974540] usb 1-2: ath9k_htc: Firmware - htc_9271.fw not found
Nov 27 04:44:23 puppypc user.warn kernel: [   20.974557] ath9k_htc: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -22
Nov 27 04:44:23 puppypc user.info kernel: [   20.974598] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath9k_htc
Because you figured out the firmware was not getting loaded.
Checked in /lib/firmware
The ar9271.fw file is there.

Well , maybe something wrong with that file.
I went here and got the firmware pet that is suppose to be for this module.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 425#555425
Installing it did not help.
Checked in /lib/firmware
The ar9271.fw file is there.

For some reason it is not being picked up and used.

You are getting into stuff I know little about.
Ask and I will try to answer :D

Yes, I did reboot after the firmware pet install :lol: :shock:

pdiag from working Lupu3HD
Attachments
pdiag-20131127.tar.gz
working Lupu3HD
(111.74 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

ath9k_htc fix?

#2702 Post by rerwin »

bigpup,
Thanks for the added info and pdiag file. I have found that the name of the firmware files changed at some point, so attach the newer version for your testing, before I add it to the main lupu/sulu.
Older firmware map:

AR9271 - ar9271.fw
AR7010 - ar7010.fw or ar7010_1_1.fw

Newer firmware map:

AR9271 - htc_9271.fw
AR7010 - htc_7010.fw
Attachments
zzlupu-fix-1.pet
ath9k_htc firmware update
(60.7 KiB) Downloaded 399 times

bigpup

#2703 Post by bigpup »

Installed the newer firmware pet.

That did it. :D :D :D :D

Wireless network USB adapter Netgear n150 now working. :D :D :D :D :D

Love those lets change the name so we can call it an update :!: :twisted: :evil: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Now on internet and working fine.

Thank you for tracking down the cause and solution. :!: :!: :D :D
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#2704 Post by rerwin »

mavrothal wrote:You may want to also add the latest version of PPM. It can search multiple repost simultaneously. does a better job with dependencies and can search with partial names with multiple search terms and even searches in the descriptions.
Certainly worth updating.
I tried it with 20131120 and works fine
As I said earlier, I am nervous about substituting it at this point because of its many updates. I attach a listing of the history entry differences between lupu and precise, to show why I am reluctant.

However, I have also collected the petget directory and added icon for anyone who wants to try it. I suspect that some incompatibilities may appear, which I prefer not to pursue. But I will update that package as users/testers reveal any problems. I probably will place the resultant package in the 5.2.8.6 thread for users willing to take any risk with it.

Thanks, mavrothal, for promoting this idea. Let's see where it leads.

EDIT: Added the missing icon. I had picked up the wrong icon, saw that it was already in lupu, so omitted it. Thanks for the catch, mavrothal.
Attachments
petget_rewrite-20131128.pet
PPM from precise pup 5.7.1 for lupu (corrected icon)
(125.9 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
petget_history-lupu_to_precise-5.7.1.txt.gz
differences between lupu and precise PPMs
(5.71 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 28 Nov 2013, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

mavrothal

#2705 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote:However, I have also collected the petget directory and added icon for anyone who wants to try it.
You missed mini-exit.xpm (luci has mini.exit.xpm)
Other than that works fine.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rerwin

5.2.8.6 Finalization Status

#2706 Post by rerwin »

I hope to wrap up the finalization of lupu/sulu 5.2.8.6 soon, at the latest by the end of the year. I think I have resolved all reported issues other than PPM. I still hope we can establish that it is safe to include the rewritten (precise) version, but I need more convincing.

I have examined further the scripts in petget to find any obvious hazards. One is that the DISTRO_SPECS field, DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME, has been added but without complete fallbacks to the previously used field, DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION. I have added that mod to configure.sh, dependencies.sh and service_pack.sh. It is already in 0setup.

The other relates to internationalization, bringing in a new method to 0setup. The other scripts appear to retain the "gettext" method. I do not know how to test 0setup's internationalization, which involves additional files not in lupu. I request that the "power users" of PPM check out that issue, probably by trying an alternate locale than the default. Here is the history item that has me concerned:

#121116 0setup also runs in running puppy called from ppm. some o/p needs to be translated, done in /usr/share/sss/script_strings/script_strings. see below all LANGORG insertions.
In general, I would feel better about all this if those using sophisocated aspects of PPM would run thorough tests of everything they use and then obtain a pdiag file, so we can see for ourselves whether there are any ugly surprises. I am attaching the petget-rewrite package with my minor changes (copied from 0setup), so we can verify them in the process.

[ ! "$DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME" ] && DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME="$DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION" #121102 fallback if DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME not defined in file DISTRO_SPECS.
The other main task remaining is radky's creation of sulu variants that will become lupusuper-5.2.8.6-k3.5.2 (from pemasu's dpup wheezy) and lupusuper-5.2.8.6-k3.9.9 (from pemasu's upup raring). These can be tried if new hardware is not detected by the lupus using older kernels. Radky has had to make a few adaptation fixes that I plan to try to integrate, to avoid maintaining a separate set of packages for the 3.x ISOs.

While we are completing these two tasks, I hope that anyone finding further issues with 5.2.8.6 will report them promptly, so I might address them before the cutoff.

Thanks for whatever support each of you can provide to get this done.
Richard
Attachments
petget_rewrite-20131129.pet
Precise's rewritten PPM with lupu adaptation
(152.91 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

bigpup

#2707 Post by bigpup »

A picture says it all.
Attachments
Graphic drivers.jpg
(31.28 KiB) Downloaded 1055 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

doccpu

Lucid Puppy Status

#2708 Post by doccpu »

I love the Lucid Puppy 5.2.8. It's the only puppy that connected me well enough to a large enough archive pool that let me get all the routines I wanted installed. I was able to get many from the Debian archives with not too much effort.

Is Lucid Puppy frozen at this point, or are more updates likely?

majorfoo

Re: Lucid Puppy Status

#2709 Post by majorfoo »

doccpu wrote:I love the Lucid Puppy 5.2.8. It's the only puppy that connected me well enough to a large enough archive pool that let me get all the routines I wanted installed. I was able to get many from the Debian archives with not too much effort.

Is Lucid Puppy frozen at this point, or are more updates likely?
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 is alive and well. It has been rebranded
see this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Rerwin and others are doing an excellent job of updating this long running puppy.. Check it out.

rerwin

Preview of next 5.2.8.6 version for regression testing

#2710 Post by rerwin »

In preparation for the next release, I have uploaded lupu-5.2.8.6-20131214-preview for regression testing. The direct link to the downloads is:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2r ... es-5.2.8.6

The main upgrades are in support of the substitution of later kernels. I provide this preview to allow testers to verify certain functions remain operational in the standard lupus. The added packages are:
  • hardinfo-0.5.2pre-20130116git-patched_i18n_pupver
    lm_sensors-3.1.2
    pburn-4.3.3
    pdiag-20131211
    PupClockset-Lucid-2.2.1
    slmodemd-lucid-20130916
    usb-modeswitch-1.2.7-20131113-adapted-lupu528
    zz_lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-20131214
    pfbpanel-0.4
    lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-backgrounds-20131214
The functions to verify are:
  • The hardinfo report
    The lsusb command (full command replaces busybox substitute)
    USB device detection at boot-up (should be no delay)
    The CPU temperature panel display (selectable by the fbpanel desktop-settings tool)
    The pdiag diagnostics tool (to ensure it does not include sensitive data e.g., keys, passwords)
    Built-in/sound-card (nonHDA) analog modem functionality
Some noticeable changes should be:
  • New logo CD boot-up screen
    New default desktop background/wallpaper (if not overridden by user selection)
Please notify me by PM if you find any problems or want to confirm success, unless your report is of general interest. Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Richard

nooby

#2711 Post by nooby »

I'm testiing this 5286 and I installed Chrome
but it fail to start. Dillo comes up instead.

What to do?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

bigpup

#2712 Post by bigpup »

Where did you get Chrome?
but it fail to start. Dillo comes up instead.
Is this when you click on the browse icon on the desktop?
YaPI(any iso installer)

nooby

#2713 Post by nooby »

Thanks for caring about me.

Chrome comes up as one alternative to the other browsers
when one click on something that I have forgotten
The others being Firefox and Seamonkey and Safari?
I don't remember and are in the old 528-005 now
The one I use daily.

I did click on Browse and I also clicked on the text
in menu internet chrome after it had been installed?

Maybe one have to go to promt and restart the jwm?

I did no savefile b/c me felt so disappointed
I don't trust a newbie would know what to do
in such situations? So hope someone fix that feature. :)

I have to go to bed now. Will travel to Cancer Doc tomorrow
and need to have the rest it is 22.25 somethign here
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

starlyte

Superlucid

#2714 Post by starlyte »

Thanks for the new, updated Lucid Pup versions, especially the Super one :D I love Lucid and have been using it, while trying other Pups, since it first came out. But I love it, and haven't found one to beat it. But the 528-5 just would get my sound working as it should on a new PC I started using. It's a Llano on a Giga 55 MB. But today I installed Super Lucid, with its updated kernel.
There's only one word to describe it: SUPER!!! :P

I've got things to do so it's MY SuprLucid, which won't be as long as it would have in changing my Puppy completely. Firefox and Seamonkey were a piece of cake, just copied the old /usr/lib/firefox or /seamonkey and /root/.mozilla into the new save file, after I'd installed them, and all was working, but better.

Super update, really.

playdayz

#2715 Post by playdayz »

A picture says it all. Picture of Quickpet -> Drivers Blank
I did that (just removed the drivers module from Quickpet) Bigpup originally for Sulu because there were no proprietary drivers for that kernel and it was an experiment anyway so I did not want anyone to try a bad driver..

I thought I would have done it for 3HD--I should have because the Lucid drivers won't work for it, but there were proprietary drivers for slacko 5.3.1 that would work afaik. They are listed on the 3HD main page http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 539#552539 Maybe rerwin can remove that module from Quickpet for future 3HD 5.2.8.6

rerwin

#2716 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:I did that (just removed the drivers module from Quickpet) Bigpup originally for Sulu because there were no proprietary drivers for that kernel and it was an experiment anyway so I did not want anyone to try a bad driver..

I thought I would have done it for 3HD--I should have because the Lucid drivers won't work for it, but there were proprietary drivers for slacko 5.3.1 that would work afaik. They are listed on the 3HD main page http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 539#552539 Maybe rerwin can remove that module from Quickpet for future 3HD 5.2.8.6
I am confused as to what you are suggesting.

I have uploaded 2 new versions of Super Lupu, using my own hybridization technique derived from peebee's method described in the thread about "switching kernels". At some point I will post how I did it, in that thread. The new sulus are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2r ... es-5.2.8.6

Yesterday, I re-uploaded lupu and lupu3hd (20131215), so am removing the preview version.

I am most excited that I am able to build lupu on the kernel from precise 5.7.1-retro! It is lupusuper2. I have not "wrung it out", but it does boot to the desktop like any other lupu. Please consider it as "experimental" at least until a few people have tried it. My goal is to provide a lupu version that supports some of the newer functions, such as xz compression and maybe UDF, as well as analog modems. But I will need assistance from those more knowledgeable in the new functions, to identify areas of incompatibility and work through them, if possible. If there are no showstoppers, that version could become a primary upgraded version.

As part of making the newer kernels useful in lupu, I would like to address the graphic driver issues, although I have no special insight about all of that. The first item appears to be the QuickPet "driver module". Playdayz, please guide me through that, if you would. I want to wrap up 5.2.8.6 functionality by year's end, if we can, so need to get this done soon.

In addition to these sulus, readky and I have been developing the hybridization technique on lupus using kernels 3.5.2 and 3.9.9. I plan to add them soon, as lupusupers 3 and 4, but may wait until I have more info on the graphic driver situation. I envision providing a list of the sulus with recommendations for choosing a particular one. As I see it, I assume later kernels imply more risk of incompatibility is some areas; one should choose the oldest 3.x kernel that suffices.

Thanks to those of you who can test these sulus and help me resolve any problems with them.
Richard

bigpup

#2717 Post by bigpup »

Having Quickpet able to offer manufactures graphic drivers, to me is a must have for any version of Lucid Puppy.
That is one of the best features of Quickpet.
A quick way to get the best driver for your graphics hardware.

rerwin,

As I understand it.
If you change the Linux Kernel. The manufactures graphics drivers have to be compiled for that kernel.
So, what is shown in Quickpet->drivers
Has to be drivers compiled for the specific kernel in that version of Lucid.

I guess that makes you have to compile, a set of manufactures graphics drivers, for each version of Lucid, that uses a different Linux kernel.

Here are some Nvidia drivers for Lupu3hd
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 363#730363
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#2718 Post by rerwin »

bigpup wrote:Having Quickpet able to offer manufactures graphic drivers, to me is a must have for any version of Lucid Puppy.
That is one of the best features of Quickpet.
A quick way to get the best driver for your graphics hardware.
I concur. Although I do not intend to get into the business of trying to compile graphics drivers, I think we should be able to use those already compiled for the kernels we use. The question I have is the way we should provide them.

The obvious best solution seems to be to add them to the lupu repo and somehow get QuickPet to recognize them. That is something only playdayz can do; I would update QuickPet per his instructions. My other thought is to include the pet packages in the ISO images, for users to install from the CD.

Can we first sort that out before I take any action?
Richard

Afterthought: Two other options would be to either put all of the graphic drivers -- one of each type -- into an SFS file or just build them into the main puppy file in the ISO image. What would be the problems if I did the latter? You graphics driver experts, please advise me on this. Thanks.
R

playdayz

#2719 Post by playdayz »

As I understand it.
If you change the Linux Kernel. The manufactures graphics drivers have to be compiled for that kernel.
So, what is shown in Quickpet->drivers
Has to be drivers compiled for the specific kernel in that version of Lucid.

Yes. This is a tough one guys, because Quickpet was 01micko's creation entirely and he wrote all the code. That Drivers section is doing a lot of stuff to determine what driver would be appropriate--which is especially complicated in the case of nvidia drivers, of which there are multiple versions, but ATI might even need more than one driver now. Add to that, compiling the drivers for different kernels is not rocket science but is not trivial either and then making the pets is another complication. If there are to be 2 or 3 added kernels. Yikes! Whoever makes them has to have the appropriate type of video card too.

I can easily place the pets in the repo once they are made and tested, that is not the issue. But having Quickpet work for multiple kernels as it worked for the original kernel will be difficult. To be clear, the Xorg_High will work for all kernels and it would not be difficult to put it on the Drivers tab in Quickpet--just look at the code for original Lupu and use only the Xorg-High code. Otherwise someone would have to adopt the Quickpet Drivers tab code and become proficient enough to modify it for the different kernels.

Also users can compile their own proprietary video drivers, using devx, might be a compromise.
I think we should be able to use those already compiled for the kernels we use. The question I have is the way we should provide them.
Yes, that first sentence should be true rerwin. The second sentence is what I was discussing in the main part of the message.

bigpup

#2720 Post by bigpup »

Not sure if it could be as easy as this, but look what I see.

In Lupu3hd
Quickpet->drivers
Select Nvidia
I get a a list of drivers for the kernel in Lupu3hd

In Quickpet-> preferences
I am using a different repository than Ibbilio.org

Maybe the drivers just need to be in the repository Quickpet is using.
Attachments
quickpet1.jpg
(24.13 KiB) Downloaded 1077 times
quickpet.jpg
(38.33 KiB) Downloaded 997 times
YaPI(any iso installer)