Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#2626 Post by bigpup »

Lupu3hd5286

Pmusic 4.2.0

To get a working pEqualizer installed I had to go to several links.

Started at Pmusic
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206
From optional listing directed to pEqualizer
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81889
For Lupu users
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82043
Seems I needed all 3 pets for the pEqualizer to work in Pmusic.

After all of this linking around, I now have a pEqualizer working in Pmusic 4.2

Only one optional dependency missing.
Attachments
pmusic2.jpg
(37.14 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

Browser Tests and Recommendations

#2627 Post by playdayz »

As time gets close I have been testing browsers. No action required, Just recommendations for users. I should mention that I test in 5.2.8.005. You will notice that I am also revising the first page of this thread in preparation for the switchover.

Firefox and Seamonkey are the only current (meaning most recent version) browsers that work fully correctly in Lucid. They also can automatically update themselves. They are both in the Lucid repo. If security is your highest priority then they would seem to be the best choice.

Opera 11.62, Chromium 18, and Google Chrome 18 all seem to run nicely, without throwing any error messages. This was the basic standard used in testing all programs for Lucid, no or very few and harmless error messages when run from a terminal. Later versions of Chromium and Google Chrome do throw some error messages. Chromium 18 and Google Chrome 18 are definitely more responsive than Firefox so they would be good if that is your priority. Also Google Chrome contains its own version of Flashplayer so if you are having Flashplayer problems it might be worth a try. For fans of Opera, 11.62 throws no error messages and doesn't fill up the log with false crash reports as 12.16 does. These 3, Opera 11.62, Chromium 18, and Google Chrome 18 are all in the Lucid repo. However, these old versions will not install Widgets or Add-ons such as Adblock.

I will test the latest Thunderbird soon.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

Re: Browser Tests and Recommendations

#2628 Post by sheldonisaac »

playdayz wrote:For fans of Opera, 11.62 throws no error messages and doesn't fill up the log with false crash reports as 12.16 does. These 3, Opera 11.62, Chromium 18, and Google Chrome 18 are all in the Lucid repo.
If you want to, Opera 11.64 seems fine. I've been using it for a couple of days.

Maybe this link, or nearby ones at that site?
http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os ... 64&local=y
Attachments
image-1.png
(113.97 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

playdayz

#2629 Post by playdayz »

If you want to, Opera 11.64 seems fine.
I will test it Sheldon. Thanks. For some reason I thought 11.62 was the last in the 11 series.

keniv

#2630 Post by keniv »

Hello playdayz

I downloaded opera 11.62 from ppm and installed it in my "clean" test savefile. I get the attached error every time I shut it down whether I use opera-exit or click on the "x" in the right hand top corner. I have not had this with any of the other versions of opera I have tried. Also I only tried this tonight and I already have 61 crash errors files in /.opera/log. However, have no problems with flash.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
operashutdown.jpg
(48.06 KiB) Downloaded 509 times

playdayz

#2631 Post by playdayz »

Hey Ken, Try closing 11.62 and then deleting the directory /root/.opera/ My guess is that perhaps you have some remnant of Opera 12.x on your system? Oh, sorry, you had a clean test save file. I don't know then. Were you in 5.2.8.6? I don't get that error in either 11.62 or 11.64 in Lupu Plus 5.2.8.005.

Unfortunately I have found that the 11 series Opera will not install Widgets (Extensions) such as Adblock. The same is true of the old Google Chrome 18. On this basis I will probably change my suggestions above to just Firefox and Seamonkey.

keniv

#2632 Post by keniv »

Hi playdayz

When I uninstalled opera 12 I also manually deleted .opera so I don't think the problem is due to the old .opera file but I'll delete the existing .opera and see what happens. I have downloaded the opera 11.64 .deb that Sheldon recommended but I have never tried to install from a .deb before and so don't know how to do it. I will do a search on how this is done. It is possible to produce a version of "Adblock" It involves using blocked content. It is so long now I don't remember the details. I seem to remember you download a text file from fanboy and copy this to blocked content. I believe this produces a urlfilter.ini file in .opera. The last time I did this was over a year ago so should probably update it. However, It does block adds quite successfully.

Regards,

Ken.

sheldonisaac

Opera stuff

#2633 Post by sheldonisaac »

keniv wrote:Hi playdayz
When I uninstalled opera 12 I also manually deleted .opera so I don't think the problem is due to the old .opera file
Agree.
I have downloaded the opera 11.64 .deb that Sheldon recommended but I have never tried to install from a .deb before and so don't know how to do it.
I was in the same situation: turns out that LuPu will install it with a left-click in ROXfiler, just like we do on a .pet
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

keniv

#2634 Post by keniv »

Hello Sheldon
turns out that LuPu will install it with a left-click in ROXfiler, just like we do on a .pet
Yes, not knowing any better I tried the above after downloading the deb but it did not work. I have attached the output I got. I did try to install from a flash drive but I have done this many times with pets and not had problems. After getting the error I thought I must be doing something wrong in terms of installing from the deb. I am beginning to think I am cursed as far as opera is concerned. I have decided to delete my test savefile and start afresh with only the video driver and flash 10.3.183.23 installed then see if the deb will install.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
debinst.jpg
(11.83 KiB) Downloaded 441 times

keniv

#2635 Post by keniv »

Made new clean savefile. Installed video driver and flashplayer. Downloaded new copy of deb and tried to install from flash drive. Failed as before. Move deb to root directory. It installed from here. Flash worked. Installed bookmarks, urlfilter.ini, change some things in opera:config and enabled "plugin on demand". Every thing still worked but had a problem at startup. My home page would open then in a second tab would open with a google search on %U. This perplexed me a bit as I don't use google if I can help it. There were two menu entries for opera. I looked at /usr/share/applications/opera-browser.desktop and found this as line 29 and 30.

Code: Select all

TryExec=/usr/bin/opera
Exec=/usr/bin/opera %U
I deleted the first line and edited the second to

Code: Select all

Exec=/usr/bin/opera
Not sure if this is good practice but it solved the problem. I also had to edit
/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser as installing the deb had not changed this to opera.
Quite interesting to get the deb working in puppy. As I said previously, I've never tried it before.
I am now using opera 11.64 with flashplayer 10.3.183.90. I think these are the most up to date versions I can get to work with my hardware.

Regards,

Ken.

gcmartin

#2636 Post by gcmartin »

PUP528 was a combined achievment of @Playdayz and @01Micko. I personally felt this one of Puppy's crowning moments as the 2 of them worked in what appeared to be a coordinated fashion to craft the delivery of PUP528.

Later, @01Micko took up the reins to create Slacko. @Playdayz provided an addition to Slacko with his "PUPPY-IZE" PET to give additonal Puppy flavor to Slacko over the following 2 Slacko release.

Question
  • Is that PET still a viable one for the most current Slacko?
Just a thought, if there is still benefits.

Volhout

ASUS DESKTOP

#2637 Post by Volhout »

Rerwin and all,

Installed the Okt28 version of 528-6 on my Asus Pundit-S desktop (2003 Celeron 2400 with SIG video and 2012 WIFI USB module) and the only thing I needed to do is force Xorgwizard to the correct resolution (1280x1024) since it defaulted to 1024x768 but everything worked out of the box. Congratulations... there is a happy user here. Posting from it now.

Installed Opera 11.62 and Flash 10.3.xx via quickpet. Both work. Youtube is not "fluent" all the time, and that does not seem related to the internet bandwidth (18.8 Mbps down). Opera generates error reports at shutdown. Opera 11.52 pet has same problems. Chrome 18 works fine. Using it now.

Sylpheed for email works after setting up the account. No problemo...

Mplayer plays all my stored video's (the ones I checked so far) without a problem. Even full screen. That is GOOD. Audio works good. Xine plays my DVD's including the menu's.

Audio capture via mhWaveEdit works like before. Can record CD quality from analog input.

Printing through WIFI. CUPS found my wireless printer immediately, and I could select the correct type from the pulldown list (HP Phototsmart 6510). Printing works fine, also double sided.

Problems found so far:
1/ pMusic does not play my CD's, it gives an error: "pEqualizer not installed".
pCD does not play my CD's either. Assunder is capable of ripping the same CD's so the problem is not in the PC itself. If you need me to debug, please tell me what to do.
Strange is that pMusic can play the Assunder ripp of the cd, but not the cd itself.

2/ My Zyxel WIFI (RT8192) works with the default driver "rtw_usb_drv" that comes in LUPU528-6. But it does not re-connect after power off using Dougals connection tool. It does work fine though when using Frisbee. I do have to point out that I am not happy with frisbee's popups. Is there any way to change that back to less childish ones ?

Also, Is there a test for testing USB speed to external storage media (other than a stopwatch and a large file ?).

Volhout (going to bed now after 6 hours of testing).
Last edited by Volhout on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 21:50, edited 6 times in total.

playdayz

#2638 Post by playdayz »

@Playdayz provided an addition to Slacko with his "PUPPY-IZE" PET to give additonal Puppy flavor to Slacko over the following 2 Slacko release.

Question
Is that PET still a viable one for the most current Slacko?
No. But anyone can read what it included and install whatever they want themselves from Additional Software and other forums. The list of what was included is here. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 03&t=73580 And oh yes, some of the things are now built-in to Slacko such as PupControl, and some are in the Slacko repo in PPM, such as Lxterminal.
Not sure if this is good practice but it solved the problem. I also had to edit
/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser as installing the deb had not changed this to opera.
Quite interesting to get the deb working in puppy. As I said previously, I've never tried it before.
Good for you Ken. You are now officially a Puppy hacker :wink:

bigpup

#2639 Post by bigpup »

He is not a hacker.

He is a hardware support code adjuster :lol:
Attachments
hacker_0.jpg
(10.92 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 13 Nov 2013, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

keniv

#2640 Post by keniv »

Thanks very much to both of you. I like my picture.

Regards,

Ken.

zigbert

Re: ASUS DESKTOP

#2641 Post by zigbert »

Volhout wrote:1/ pMusic does not play my CD's, it gives an error: "pEqualizer not installed".
Got it

Thank you
Sigmund

zigbert

#2642 Post by zigbert »

Volhout
Tested pMusic 4.2.0 without pEqualizer, and playing audio-CD works for me.

Can you describe more in detail how you got this error.

Thank you
Sigmund

Volhout

pMusic

#2643 Post by Volhout »

Good morning Zigbert,

method used:
- insert CD. Drive , drive spins a bit to recognise the disk. No automatic start pMusic.
- select CD player/ripper from menu (pMusic)
- it starts pMusic 4.1.1 (The iso contains pMusic 4.1.1, I did not upgrade to 4.1.2 or 4.2.0))
- pMusic shows my CD index, so reads the disk.
- progress bar advances, so it is playing the CD, but no sound
- checked Retrovol, but CD is enabled, and CD volume up.
- when i click on the button with the loudspeaker, I get a popup.
- in the text box of the popup is the warning "pEqualizer not installed".

Does this help in any way ?

Volhout

zigbert

#2644 Post by zigbert »

Volhout
Yes it helps.

pEqualizer is not installed, so there is no equalizer-sliders, but still there is a volume/balance slider. If the volume slider doesn't give any effect, please press the config-button above the slider which lead you to sound settings.

By default, pMusic uses the 'Master' channel, which is the most common. But you should choose the correct channel from the list. If this is not straighforward, run 'alsamixer' to get the complete picture. Note! In some cases the system starts with the volume set to 0%, and you have to test to find the correct channel.

Good luck
Sigmund

Volhout

pEqualizer not installed

#2645 Post by Volhout »

Dear Zigbert,

I tried what you suggested. In selection of sound card I could choose to tie directly into the SIS sound chip (or auto). That did not work though. Still no sound (after the change pMusic restarted). But even when it would have worked it would not be my preference, since that disables sound from other sources at that moment. (that warning is in the help text).

If I use the CD player function, I listen to my CD's while I browse the web. And I do want audio from the browser once in a while.

I would prefer if pEqualizer would be integrated, or a bypass is found that ties into the normal sound channels in a way it can be mixed.

Appart from that I noticed that after toying with pMusic for a while I have (in LXTaskManager) 7 entries (1.3Mbyte size, 0% CPU) called "func player". Is this something from pMusic that is not correctly killed when stopping pMusic ? I did not start any other player I know of.

Best regards,

Volhout.