Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sheldonisaac

gtkdialog 0.8.3

#2266 Post by sheldonisaac »

The newest Pmusic requires gtkdialog 0.8.3

Where is a version of gtkdialog 0.8.3 which works under Lucid puppy? My primary Puppy is Lucid 5.2.8-005

Thanks,
Sheldon

don570

#2267 Post by don570 »

Where is a version of gtkdialog 0.8.3
I put together a package for Barrry' Kauler's Precise distro.
It should work for Lucid.

Try it and report back...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 831#677831

sheldonisaac

gtkdialog 0.8.3 etc

#2268 Post by sheldonisaac »

don570 wrote:
Where is a version of gtkdialog 0.8.3
I put together a package for Barrry' Kauler's Precise distro.
It should work for Lucid.

Try it and report back...

Thank you very much, don570; it does indeed work.
I copied the gtkdialog4 file:
~> which gtkdialog
/usr/bin/gtkdialog
~>
~> gtkdialog -v
gtkdialog version 0.8.4 r503M (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011-2012 Thunor
Built with additional support for: Glade.
~>

RSH

#2269 Post by RSH »

Hi.

Here is my output on gtkdialog:

GtkDialog, which is a link to gtkdialog3

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# gtkdialog -v
gtkdialog version 0.7.21 (C) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 by Laszlo Pere
GtkDialog4

sh-4.1# gtkdialog4 -v
gtkdialog version 0.8.0 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor
GtkDialog5

sh-4.1# gtkdialog5 -v
gtkdialog version 0.8.2 release (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011-2012 Thunor
I have downloaded the above linked .pet and found a binary named gtkdialog4.

So, how did you get this output from a gtkdialog4 binary?

~> gtkdialog -v
~>
Is gtkdialog4 the right name for this binary?

Please explain...

Thanks

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

sheldonisaac

#2270 Post by sheldonisaac »

(portions snipped)
RSH wrote: I have downloaded the above linked .pet and
found a binary named gtkdialog4.

So, how did you get this output from a gtkdialog4 binary?

~> gtkdialog -v
~>
Is gtkdialog4 the right name for this binary?
RSH, please excuse any unclearness.
Clicking the pet resulted in the binary gtkdialog4 being placed into
/usr/sbin
I copied that file into /usr/bin and renamed it to gtkdialog

It was one approach to dealing with the way gtkdialog is used by Pmusic.

Thanks,
Sheldon

RSH

#2271 Post by RSH »

I think you did not really understand my question the right way.

As you can see in my gtkdialog output, the gtkdialog4 binary version is 0.8.0

You posted a gtkdialog version 0.8.4 - also from a gtkdialog4 binary.

I want to know:

- is this file wrong renamed to gtkdialog4 after compiling?
- or is every new gtkdialog binary 0.8.0 and above renamed after compiling to gtkdialog4 - from now on

Thanks

RSH

Edit:

Or will this confusing all users/developers of Puppy Linux in the future and therefor adding a big minus to the related big list of minuses on installing and using applications? :wink:
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

don570

#2272 Post by don570 »

Shouldn't you guys stick to the same naming convention that
Barry Kauler uses. He hasn't advanced to gtkdialog5.

I try to stick to his methods as close as possible.

Barry likes to make gtkdialog4 the application and gtkdialog the link.

This is an image of Exprimo which does it differently.

pemasu

#2273 Post by pemasu »

I follow the logic explained by 01micko at some time when the debate about gtkdialog naming was hot. Due to incompatilities of improved version at that time. I wont go to the details. They can be found from the gtkdialog thread.

But 01micko posted this idea, to use one improved gtkdialog binary only...and the others are symlinks. If there is incompatibility the idea was that those gtkdialog apps should be updated by the developer.

I have gone with this logic since then...as 01micko.

So....there is diversity...Barry Kauler do the naming his way....some others other way. But there has not been much problems with it,

Also....01micko and I use the latest gtkdialog version at the time. Barry updates woof slower.

jpeps

#2274 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote:
But 01micko posted this idea, to use one improved gtkdialog binary only...and the others are symlinks. If there is incompatibility the idea was that those gtkdialog apps should be updated by the developer.

I have gone with this logic since then...as 01micko
exactly...I wish everyone was on board with this approach...but......

BTW/ update JWM-653, since it now works with java...thanks to 01micko kicking butt....

I don't know if you got around to reposting a working JRE in the SFS directory. I posted one the other board, but there's probably some new versions on the way.

sheldonisaac

#2275 Post by sheldonisaac »

(portions snipped)
pemasu wrote:I follow the logic explained by 01micko ..

.. to use one improved gtkdialog binary only...and the others are symlinks.
Thanks to all for your posts on this issue.

I had installed the one that don570 made

I did the below, and Pmusic (which looks for gtkdialog) starts normally.

/usr/sbin> ln -s gtkdialog4 gtkdialog
/usr/sbin> which gtkdialog
/usr/sbin/gtkdialog

greengeek

Re: How does puppy's flash boot loader pick the sfs file?

#2276 Post by greengeek »

otropogo wrote:Have just completed a dizzying series of test with a newly configured USBflash boot card, trying to figure out how to control which version of the lupu_528.sfs file is loaded.
I just saw an interesting comment from ETP regarding sfs and savefile discovery here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=278
Possibly all puppies may benefit from further work/understanding in this area. Time consuming and tricky to cover all contingencies though.

otropogo

Re: How does puppy's flash boot loader pick the sfs file?

#2277 Post by otropogo »

greengeek wrote:
otropogo wrote:Have just completed a dizzying series of test with a newly configured USBflash boot card, trying to figure out how to control which version of the lupu_528.sfs file is loaded.
I just saw an interesting comment from ETP regarding sfs and savefile discovery here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=278
Possibly all puppies may benefit from further work/understanding in this area. Time consuming and tricky to cover all contingencies though.
Thanks for the link. Have responded to ETP's post there.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

futwerk

#2278 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds.
Attachments
lucidja20,1a.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(35.35 KiB) Downloaded 850 times
lucidja20,1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(55.63 KiB) Downloaded 847 times

darkcity

#2279 Post by darkcity »

regarding installing chrome, are the following two steps still required for the latest packages?
1. First, please uninstall any Iron, Chromium, or Chrome pets.

2. Second, install this libgconf2-4_3.1.6 pet.
libgconf2-4_3.1.6.pet
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Chrome

Atle

#2280 Post by Atle »

Its been soon a year since last version of this excellent Puppy was released (5.2.8.005)... Now I wonder if there are anyone around with the idea of releasing a newer version like a 006. We are then close to the 007 version, that I feel could have a slight James Bond theme:-)

I think 5.2.8 has a long life as Precise might never overcome the problematic PAE issue, that makes it useless to me, as its no longer one distro for all, but two versions of the same whereas some works on this and other on that machine. Very confusing for most users and also a small step backwards in the sense of users loosing faith in the distro as one downloads the "flagship" and it does not even boot if this and that hardware is not present.

I seem to remember that Lucid newer missed out on one single boot for as long as I can remember.

Anyhow... Anyone with ideas about a new version of Lucid?

Best

Atle

mikeslr

There probably won't be a Lupu Updated -- but don't panic

#2281 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Atle,

It is highly unlikely that there will be an “updated

Atle

#2282 Post by Atle »

Hi Mikeslr...

that is one heck of a nice answer. Actually I had this idea about this PAE stuff to be a bit similar to aparteid:-) ITs for some folks only...

I feel its hard to make new spinnoffs as things get complicated with the PAE stuff. If 64 bit versions are better, its at least something people will understand, as PAE is like really really greek to most folks out there.

So is what you say, that it should have been Precise 32 AND 64 bits and not Precise and retroprecise? Even there with this retro one can get confused.

All my laptops are good old crap machines with little ram and sometimes very small hard drives. I have done great testing with RetroPrecise on this machines and it looks great, even if not to much of interest in the Precise repo yet.

When i talk about making a new version of Lucied, i simply mean the old one being made over like a shineover and some bugs to be removed as they are probably still there. No new kernel or advanced stuff. Just a simple makeover of the 005 version to become more up to date as Lucid DOES have a lots of programs and are very much my favorite puppy.

Mikeslr... I have tested Slacko, the non PAE version and what is a bit stunning is that you can remove the entire installation from its partition, even if not running "pfix=ram" and just replace it with another Slacko or some other puppy, run grub4dos and then reboot the new OS.

Is there some difference in how Lucid and Slacko uses the ram? Is Slacko less dependent on its files on the drive than Lucied?

The reason i ask is that i am investigating a little bit around making a perfect RAM ONLY version of Lucid of Slacko to boot FROM your Android phone. Been experimenting a bit and found out it works well, but needs a custom ISO that gives you a great surfing experience with a RAM ONLY file system.

The reason for thinking RAM ONLY(might be the wrong way to say it), is that once you have booted from your phone, you can use the USB to connect to internet via the phone.

In some androids it possible to use other system, as ram only is not needed if you use the phone as a wifi hotspot.

rerwin

#2283 Post by rerwin »

Atle wrote:Its been soon a year since last version of this excellent Puppy was released (5.2.8.005)... Now I wonder if there are anyone around with the idea of releasing a newer version like a 006. We are then close to the 007 version, that I feel could have a slight James Bond theme:-)

I think 5.2.8 has a long life as Precise might never overcome the problematic PAE issue...

I seem to remember that Lucid newer missed out on one single boot for as long as I can remember.

Anyhow... Anyone with ideas about a new version of Lucid?
I continue to feel somewhat responsible for maintaining Lucid Pup 528. It is my main non-development system. Although I intend to make some updates to lupu528, I have not seen that much needs to be done to it. Maybe I have not been paying attention.

Now that I seem to have completed integration of frisbee into the mainstream puppy, I can focus on creating a set of upgrade packages in a central place to simplify adding the upgrades to one of the lupu ISOs, to be then remastered into an upgraded ISO.. I do not care to start another download site for a new ISO-006, but can work with whomever could host it. Playdayz used the remasterpup function to build the ISOs. So, a new ISO would entail collecting the various fixed packages and remastering.

However we do it, the first step is to identify the upgrades that are desired and feasible. I suggest that anyone with recommendations add a posting here in which to accumulate items, rather than making separate posts for each idea. So, post an initial set, then edit it later with additions or changes.

Here is what I have in mind, for me to do:
  • - Make a package to upgrade the original lupu528 infrastructure to match that of the lupuplus variants but without the added drivers, starting with the old "patch-8".
    - Replace the Frisbee beta version with the new frisbee-1.0.
    - Include at least a link to peebee's proprietary Broadcom driver and include the infrastructure mods to accommodate it -- or backport the final implementation from woof.
    - Collect any backportable fixes from woof/precise that apply to lupu.
Although I would like to provide a single package that fixes everything, the new upload limit of 250K makes that impractical; it will probably require several packages.

Please make recommendations for updates to lupu528 and I will endeavor to implement them. Who's on board with this effort?
Richard

Atle

#2284 Post by Atle »

I love the idea of gearing up the network abilities with those 90.25 KB of genius code of Gyro with the ShareInternet Pet

To be able to turn you PC into a router like that is just AWESOME...

Being able to share a connection like that I find very useful my self, but that said, it might just be me:-) I love to be able to share my internet with guests and friends and as the code is so small, it might be possible to include that into a improved version?

I volunteer to make a white paper on how to use it that can be included as a page in the help files on the Lucid.

tallboy

#2285 Post by tallboy »

I think there are good resons to keep the 528 alive and running for some time yet. Among other things, it must be one of the easiest puppys to get up and running for a newbie. I have been using dpup 484s and 485s for a long time, which are based on Debian Lenny. Debian no longer has an open Lenny repository - it is outdated by now. I have been testing different puppys to find a replacement. The new Slacko 5.4 seem very promising, but still have a lot of problems, as do the new Precise and Debian Squeeze based puppys. So I have landed on the extremely good 528_005, a little remastering makes it almost perfect for me. I also tried the 525s with similar results. Not perfect, but very good! My PCs are old PII, PIII and P4 boxes.
Thank you for the very clear explanation above, mikeslr. It seem to me, that until some development work is done to make the backward compability of the building blocks better, some small, regular updates to the 528 will keep it alive for a long time. There must be other distros struggling with the same issues that the new kernel/libs are presenting, so my guess is that there are still produced new applications, made for the older kernels and glib, that may run just fine in a 'stable' puppy. It is a bit like the old Volvo 140 and 240 series cars; they ran almost unchanged for decades, only continuously refined in small details.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.