Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
oldyeller

#2146 Post by oldyeller »

Hi Larry,

I am very sorry to hear about your wife and the fight you are having to recieve treatment here.

Lupu 528 was the first puppy I used and is the first one I remastered on.

Well miss you here. Family is very important!!! May you and your family be blessed. Well keep you all in prayer.

James C

#2147 Post by James C »

Best wishes and good luck to you and your family.You'll be in our thoughts.

mavrothal

#2148 Post by mavrothal »

Hopefully your selfless and remarkable offerings to thousands of Puppy users will be somehow returned to you and your family.
Till then, lots of strength and best of luck.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

whoguy

#2149 Post by whoguy »

Thank you Larry for making a kick ass version of puppy... It has truly made my life better!!!

I'm saddened to hear of you and your wife's struggles with MS. I wish you and your family best of luck Playdayz!!!

Do you have a donate link or paypal where I can donate money?

Cheers

Whoguy

otropogo

would the real 5.2.8.sfs stand up please?

#2150 Post by otropogo »

I just booted lupupluslibre 528.005-2 from LiveCD for the first time, and am confused, as I have been since 5.2.8 has started proliferating versions.

The splash screen is, to my eyes at least, indistinguishable from earlier versions of lupuplus or even lupu5.2.8.

When shutting down after the first boot, I'm no longer asked whether I want to copy the sfs file to the hard drive, so when I boot the second time, I have no idea which sfs file is active. In fact, I don't know which one booted on the first run, since the loader gives no indication. I haven't known since upgrading to lupuplus some time ago, but my understanding (please correct me, if it's wrong) has been that when the loader runs, it looks on the hard drives first for the lupu_528.sfs file. And it boots with the first one it finds. If not, what would be the point of copying the sfs file to the hard drive?

Any clarification would be welcome.

And yes, I did boot with an existing 2fs file, as I don't really want to reconfigure every application I've got. But maybe I should have renamed all of the lupu_528.sfs files on the hard drive before booting the latest version? Would I have gotten the prompt to save the file to the hard drive, or is that something that only happens subsequent to the invitation to create a 2fs file?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

tony

USB3 boot

#2151 Post by tony »

Hi,

This version of puppy has worked well for me for many months.

Yesterday I tried to use it to boot a My Passport USB3 drive.

No luck, after loading the drivers it could not find lupu_528.sfs file.

However if I plug the drive into a USB2 port it works OK.

Can we modify initrd.gz to include a USB3 driver?

Regards Tony.

bigpup

#2152 Post by bigpup »

otropogo,

From first post in topic:
Notes: 1) If you have previously used the Lucid 5.2.8 Live CD, it may have copied the lupu_528.sfs file to your hard drive. When the new CD boots it will use that lupu_528.sfs without telling you, so you need to delete it from your drive, or rename it, before you boot the new CD. This will happen even if the lupu_528.sfs is in a directory. 2) If you use a frugal install,. a simple trick is to download the ISO, click it to open it, and copy the lupu_528.sfs into the directory that holds the frugal install, replacing the old one.

I do not think the splash screen got changed to reflect the different versions of Lucid528.

Booting from live CD:
If you have a previous version of lupu_528.sfs on computer it probably is being seen by boot process and being used.
Normally the name of the sfs file is different, so this is not an issue between different versions of Puppy. The different versions of Lucid 528 use the same name for the sfs file.
The different versions of Lucid 528 are only different by what additional programs may or may not be in them.
The idea was to pick the one that has the features you want and just use that one. All of them are the complete Lucid 528.

If you had different versions of Lucid 528, as frugal installs on the hard drive, with each one in a differently named directory.
The boot menu will have entry for each one.
You should be able to boot each specific version, because the boot process will look for a specific named directory, for the needed files, and not look any other place.
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 17:12, edited 2 times in total.

darkcity

#2153 Post by darkcity »

rerwin

Re: USB3 boot

#2154 Post by rerwin »

tony wrote:Yesterday I tried to use it to boot a My Passport USB3 drive.
Can we modify initrd.gz to include a USB3 driver?
Tony & darkcity,
What drivers did you load that resulted in the "missing" lupu_528.sfs file? Wouldn't you have to be up already to load them? Or do you mean you installed them from a pet package or some other source and then rebooted?

The USB3 driver, xhci.ko is already in the "plus" versions of lupu528, although not in the initrd.gz file AFAIK. But I would like to work on this problem. Although I am not fit to mess with the initrd file, there may be another way to improve the situation.

1. Since initrd functions only at boot-up time, what happens if you plug the drive in after booting up? I wonder if the "hotplug" function would detect the drive.

2. Another thing to try is to add "modprobe xhci" to the file, /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Check first, though, with "lsmod" to see whether xhci got loaded automatically since the USB3 hardware exists.

3. My thinking is that the USB drivers get loaded very early by rc.sysinit, so an update to it might make things work better. Please try the above to get an idea of whether updating rc.sysinit would help. Thanks.

BTW, do you know whether the drive can work through USB3 in wary or precise pups?
Richard

tony

#2155 Post by tony »

Hi,

I have just booted debian squeeze 5 with kernel 3.2.9 and slacko 5.3.6.0 with kernel 3.5.5.PAE.

i use grub4dos installed on the "My passport" USB3 drive and boot straight from my Asus 1015pem.

I guess that as lupu_528.sfs is not seen it would be pointless to put a USB3 driver in it.

Regards Tony.

otropogo

#2156 Post by otropogo »

bigpup wrote:otropogo,

From first post in topic:
Notes: 1) If you have previously used the Lucid 5.2.8 Live CD, it may have copied the lupu_528.sfs file to your hard drive. When the new CD boots it will use that lupu_528.sfs without telling you, so you need to delete it from your drive, or rename it, before you boot the new CD. This will happen even if the lupu_528.sfs is in a directory. 2) If you use a frugal install,. a simple trick is to download the ISO, click it to open it, and copy the lupu_528.sfs into the directory that holds the frugal install, replacing the old one.
Thanks. Should have reread the intro first. Part of my problem at this end is that for some reason Pfind seems unable to locate lupu_528.sfs on my hard drives. I found the old one, or at least one of them, and renamed it, then copied the lupupluslibre-02 version.

Of course, by corollary, it doesn't matter whether you use a LiveCD with the original 528 of 128MB, or one of the later ones of 3xxMB, if you have the sfs file on the hard drive of the system, because it searches the hard drives and boots with the file that's there. I wonder if you could just put the loader on a CD or a USB flash device and boot the system with that?

On the first two tries, pfind couldn't find any copies with the "search all files" setting. After I renamed the one, and copied the other to the hard drive, it found the one on the CD, but not the one I'd just copied (and booted with). So I guess it can't see the one that's active (the one I booted with when I first searched, and the one I'd copied and booted with afterward). And it didn't see the one on the burner the first couple of times because the CD wasn't mounted.

It would be helpful if the loader indicated that there were several instances of lupu_528.sfs accessible, including their location, size, and date, and then let you choose which one to use.

I do not think the splash screen got changed to reflect the different versions of Lucid528.
I believe you're right. And they also use the same wallpaper. It can be very confusing, especially when thing go sideways, as just happened on my laptop, where suddenly the wallpaper reverted to the default, no idea why, while using a 2fs file that had grown to 1.4G and was set to use the Soldier's Point wallpaper. Much worse was the fact that all of the Seamonkey security settings were changed to accept everything and clear nothing. No idea what caused it, but Seamonkey has been associated with most of my mysterious glitches in the last year or two.
Booting from live CD:
If you have a previous version of lupu_528.sfs on computer it probably is being seen by boot process and being used.
Normally the name of the sfs file is different, so this is not an issue between different versions of Puppy. The different versions of Lucid 528 use the same name for the sfs file.

The different versions of Lucid 528 are only different by what additional programs may or may not be in them.
So one can switch back and forth between them without corrupting the 2fs files?
The idea was to pick the one that has the features you want and just use that one. All of them are the complete Lucid 528.

If you had different versions of Lucid 528, as frugal installs on the hard drive, with each one in a differently named directory.
The boot menu will have entry for each one.

You should be able to boot each specific version, because the boot process will look for a specific named directory, for the needed files, and not look any other place.
So what happens if you boot from a LiveCD and have more than one lupu_528.sfs on the hard drives? If you put each one in a separate folder, does that give you the option of choosing which one to use? And if so, do you have access to all of the 2fs files on the system, or only those in the folder of the sfs file you used?

otropogo

pet for vlc?

#2157 Post by otropogo »

After a recent glitch that changed the wallpaper and seamonkey settings in my main 2fs file for lupu528, all traces of the vlc media player disappeared. Today I upgraded the PC, my laptop, to lupupluslibre005-2, but no vlc.

I ran petget, searched for vlc, and it offered a pet for puppy 525, but when I asked petget to get it and checked all of the listed repositories, not one of them offered it.

Is there a new pet somewhere, or some other way to install vlc?

Update. after downloading all of the repository databases (I didn't want all of them, but pressing any key but ENTER, as directed, didn't work), I searched petget for vlc again, and got the same single answer vl -1.1.10-686-lucid525.pet.

I also got the same result from the url test - negative for all of them. I then decided to try ibiblios anyway, and the pet downloaded and installed, only to pop up the following list of missing dependencies:

File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_filter/libpanoramix_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-randr.so.0
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_output/libxcb_xv_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-xv.so.0
File /root/programs3/vlc-1.1.10/modules/video_filter/.libs/libpanoramix_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-randr.so.0
File /root/programs3/vlc-1.1.10/modules/video_filter/.libs/libpanoramix_plugin.soT has these missing library files:
libxcb-randr.so.0
File /root/programs3/vlc-1.1.10/modules/video_output/.libs/libxcb_xv_plugin.soT has these missing library files:
libxcb-xv.so.0
File /root/programs3/vlc-1.1.10/modules/video_output/.libs/libxcb_xv_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-xv.so.0

PS. it seems to work, nevertheless...

bigpup

#2158 Post by bigpup »

So one can switch back and forth between them without corrupting the 2fs files?
Not sure, because it would be like upgrading and downgrading the save file.
Downgrading is not really a usual process for save file usage.
So what happens if you boot from a LiveCD and have more than one lupu_528.sfs on the hard drives? If you put each one in a separate folder, does that give you the option of choosing which one to use? And if so, do you have access to all of the 2fs files on the system, or only those in the folder of the sfs file you used?
It will use the first one it finds.

The boot process will probably find any save files that are named lupusave.xfs and list them to choose to use.

Again, the different versions of Lucid 528 were optional version to use.
Pick the one you liked and just use that one.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 06:34, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2159 Post by bigpup »

After a recent glitch that changed the wallpaper and seamonkey settings in my main 2fs file for lupu528, all traces of the vlc media player disappeared. Today I upgraded the PC, my laptop, to lupupluslibre005-2, but no vlc.
Possible save file corruption.
With a 2fs save file there is a bigger chance for file corruption.

If booting from live CD of Lucid 528.
use boot option puppy pfix=fsck
This will do a file system check of the save file.

For Vlc:
The above may be the problem.

May have to remove and reinstall.
In Puppy Package Manager(PPM), if program is in installed package list, uninstall and then do search for VLC.
PPM should have VLC listed in the Lucid Puppy repository under Multimedia.
YaPI(any iso installer)

tony

No usb3 driver in initrd

#2160 Post by tony »

Hi,

This version of puppy has worked well for me for many months.

Yesterday I tried to use it to boot a My Passport USB3 drive.

I have now looked in initrd and it seems that I need

xhci-hcd.ko.gz in the modules section.

has anyone got a copy or a process to get it

Regards Tony.

otropogo

#2161 Post by otropogo »

bigpup wrote:
Possible save file corruption.
With a 2fs save file there is a bigger chance for file corruption.

If booting from live CD of Lucid 528.
use boot option puppy pfix=fsck
This will do a file system check of the save file.

Thanks, will do.
For Vlc:
The above may be the problem.

May have to remove and reinstall.
In Puppy Package Manager(PPM), if program is in installed package list, uninstall and then do search for VLC.
PPM should have VLC listed in the Lucid Puppy repository under Multimedia.
Have done, but am surprised that the only version that appears is two years old, whereas googling "vlc linux deb download" (not exact quote) shows:
Package Download Selection -- vlc-nox_2.0.3-2_i386.deb
packages.debian.org › sid › vlc-nox › i386
Download Page for vlc-nox_2.0.3-2_i386.deb on Intel x86 machines ... debian.nctu.edu.tw/debian · debian.linux.org.tw/debian · linux.cdpa.nsysu.edu.tw/debian ...
I'm wondering what the chances are of this package installing successfully in lupu528, or of someone making a pet of it anytime soon?

majorfoo

#2162 Post by majorfoo »

otropogo wrote:
I'm wondering what the chances are of this package installing successfully in lupu528, or of someone making a pet of it anytime soon?
Check out the following:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76271

On first post Billto has provided link to get vlc-2.0.0-sfs
If you want a pet instead of sfs, you can convert sfs to pet using sfs
grabber in quick pet. Setup > Setup Puppy > Quickpet

Near bottom of page, Playdayz advises that this sfs should work with lucid series - xorghigh is required

Hope this helps

darkcity

#2163 Post by darkcity »

Larry if you are still reading, many thanks for Lucid ;- ) the first Puppy and Linux I could use as my main OS!

bigpup

#2164 Post by bigpup »

I got this version of VLC working in Lucid 528.
It is VLC Puppyfied.

VLC-GTK 2.5.6 - a VLC player frontend
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54753

Do have to make sure you install all the files needed. They are listed on first post of topic.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

Attempt to allow boot-up from drive plugged into USB3 jack

#2165 Post by rerwin »

tony wrote: I guess that as lupu_528.sfs is not seen it would be pointless to put a USB3 driver in it.
You are right. I was not paying attention, but trying to avoid taking on initrd.gz. Looking at it another way, this is my opportunity to master the ways of editing it.

I found the tools to expand and rebuild initrd.gz and copied the module (xhci.ko) into the directory with the other USB drivers. Then I found an example of adding a driver and discovered that one needs to simulate the effect of depmod to add the module to the modules.* tables. I will explain what I changed so that others can consider what else might be necessary.

I put the module into /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ after gzipping it. The modules in "host" are
  • ehci-hcd.ko.gz
    ohci-hcd.ko.gz
    uhci-hcd.ko.gz
    xhci.ko.gz
I updated the modules.* files with the boldfaced lines -

modules.alias:
  • alias ssb:v4243id0817rev* ohci_hcd
    alias ssb:v4243id0808rev* ohci_hcd
    alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc0Csc03i10* ohci_hcd
    alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc0Csc03i00* uhci_hcd
    alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc0Csc03i20* ehci_hcd
    alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc0Csc03i30* xhci
modules.dep:
  • /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ohci-hcd.ko.gz: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.ko.gz: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko.gz: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/xhci.ko.gz: initrd/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz:
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko.gz: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz
modules.pcimap:
  • # pci module vendor device subvendor subdevice class class_mask driver_data
    ohci-hcd 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x000c0310 0xffffffff 0x0
    uhci-hcd 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x000c0300 0xffffffff 0x0
    ehci-hcd 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x000c0320 0xffffffff 0x0
    xhci 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x000c0330 0xffffffff 0x0
Then I updated rc.sysinit, which waits for early loading of the USB drivers, so it will also wait for xhci.

Code: Select all

--- /initrd/pup_ro2/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit	2012-01-03 21:00:48.000000000 -0500
+++ /initrd/pup_rw/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit	2012-10-13 18:54:52.000000000 -0400
@@ -50,6 +50,7 @@
 #110113 make sure /dev/mixer removed, see test in /etc/init.d/10alsa.
 #110304 remove nodes in /dev/snd -- reports that these may be wrong after a reboot.
 #111231 Make /dev/snd/* removal recursive, to include /dev/snd/by-path, new for alsa v1.0.24.
+#121013 rerwin: Add wait for USB3 driver.

#unset TZ #100319 busybox hwclock gives priority to this (rather than /etc/localtime) and 'init' has set it wrong.
 #...comment-out for now. note, TZ now set in rc.country.
@@ -344,7 +345,7 @@
 echo -n "Waiting for modules to complete loading..." >/dev/console
 WAITCNT=0
 PCIPCMCIA="`elspci -l | grep -o '060700'`"
-PCIUSB="`elspci -l | grep -o -E '0C0300|0C0310|0C0320'`"
+PCIUSB="`elspci -l | grep -o -E '0C0300|0C0310|0C0320|0C0330'`" #121013
 if [ "$PCIPCMCIA" != "" ];then #this may be slow to respond.
  echo -n " pcmcia"  >/dev/console
  while [ $WAITCNT -lt 10 ];do
@@ -359,7 +360,7 @@
  echo -n " usb"  >/dev/console
  PCIUSBNUM=`echo "$PCIUSB" | sort -u | wc -l`
  while [ $WAITCNT -lt 10 ];do
-  [ `lsmod | grep -o -E '^uhci_hcd|^ohci_hcd|^ehci_hcd' | wc -l` -ge $PCIUSBNUM ] && break
+  [ `lsmod | grep -o -E '^uhci_hcd|^ohci_hcd|^ehci_hcd|^xhci' | wc -l` -ge $PCIUSBNUM ] && break #121013
   WAITCNT=`expr $WAITCNT + 1`
   sleep 1
   echo -n " $WAITCNT" >/dev/console
My test PC does not have USB3, which might affect what I see. The only thing I am aware of is that the xhci module does not end up with the other 3 USB drivers in /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/initrd/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ after boot-up. I removed the existing copy to see if that allowed the module to be in /initrd, which did not change anything. So this needs to be tested by someone with USB3 hardware. Please keep it as an isolated test, to avoid risk. But I am running with the modified initrd.gz with no ill effects.

To run the experiment, install the pet package and copy the initrd-xhci.gz file to wherever the original initrd.gz resides. Rename the existing initrd.gz (e.g., initrd-original.gz) and then initrd-xhci.gz to initrd.gz. Plugging the MyPassport drive into the USB3 jack and rebooting should tell us whether we are getting anywhere.

Here is where I found the info:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 672#652126 (Edit initrd.gz with right-click-action)
Thank you, RSH.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... b20#384034 (Howto use the Framebuffer with Puppy 430/431)
Richard
Attachments
lupuplus-528-rc.sysinit_xhci-1.pet
Waits for the USB3 controller to start.
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 720 times