Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
majorfoo

#1936 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
LibreOffice 3.5.4 is the fastest version of the best free office suite ever, with up to 100% performance gains when opening large files (depending on operating system, hardware configuration and file contents).
Majorfoo, Good news indeed. Thanks.

Could you provide pet or sfs on the latest libreoffice?
This could be used now in lieu of updated versions of lucid/libreoffice.

thanks
majorfoo

cowboy

openoffice redux

#1937 Post by cowboy »

majorfoo,

As an aside, did you note that 01micko has compiled the new Openoffice 3.4 for both Lucid and Slacko:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78709

Haven't tried the new Ooo yet, but it's good to know that the project has escaped from Oracle, and that Apache is moving forward with new code.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

playdayz

#1938 Post by playdayz »

The best thing I think I is to get 01micko's get_libreoffice 0.15 so you can continue to update yourself. It will not work with Lupu/Plus Libre however, since Libreoffice is already installed. Here is the thread -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918

Here is the 3.5.4 sfs -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Libre ... _en-US.sfs
Attachments
get_libreoffice-0.15.pet
(26.62 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 23:23, edited 3 times in total.

otropogo

Unprompted Seamonkey upgrade

#1939 Post by otropogo »

A couple of days ago I opened Seamonkey in lupuplus_libre and instead of seeing the blank page specified in my preferences setting, saw displayed a page of the Seamonkey website showing the features of SM 2.1.

(I should add that this has happened to me before, under Lupu5.2.8_x).

I downloaded the 3.6?MB file to my hard drive, but did nothing else with it, not even extraction, as I wanted to study the features and perhaps read some reviews before deciding to upgrade. However, all this caution proved to be futile.

Soon I started experiencing annoying changes in the browser display, some extremely annoying, such as the irretrievable loss of the tool bar and navigation bar on some pages. In one case I lost all control of the system, including the use of CTL-ALT-DEL to shut down, and had to do a hard power down. And the changes survived the reboot!

Eventually, by trial and error,clicking on various parts of the screen, I discovered I could summon a menu to regain some control and recovered the navigation bar and the tool bar. At that point I clicked on the help tab and discovered that Seamonkey 2.1 was running. Evidently, it had installed itself over the previous version without waiting for any input from me...

Thus my wonderment at Seamonkey upgrade pets for Lucid.

Am I the only user of Lupu5.2.8-x (because the same thing has happened to me with it) or lupuplus_libre to experience this automatic upgrade of Seamonkey?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

playdayz

#1940 Post by playdayz »

The pets I post contain the latest version of the full Seamonkey. One could uninstall any previous version and then install the new pet. Anyway, I think the safest is to use the Lucid pets. If you got a 3.6MB update from Lucid that would have been a bad download. And I just checked--the Seamonkey update from 2.9 to 2.10 is 21MB, so I am thinking any 3.6MB update would have been a bad download--and so far the SM update looks OK.

otropogo

#1941 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
The pets I post contain the latest version of the full Seamonkey. One could uninstall any previous version and then install the new pet. Anyway, I think the safest is to use the Lucid pets. If you got a 3.6MB update from Lucid that would have been a bad download. And I just checked--the Seamonkey update from 2.9 to 2.10 is 21MB, so I am thinking any 3.6MB update would have been a bad download--and so far the SM update looks OK.
You're right about the size. I've just checked the archived SM2.1 file I downloaded, and it's 22MB.

I would certainly have used your pet, had I known about it. Unfortunately, I've been preoccupied lately, and once you've failed to log onto the forums for a few consecutive days, the notices of new posts stop coming to remind you...

One concern I have about these automatic upgrades is that in the past, I've lost all my passwords and had to reconstitute them. More rarely, my bookmarks have been lost in the course of one of these upgrades too.

And they definitely are automatic. I remember quite clearly creating a directory, saving the 2.1 release notes and uninstall_install pages, then clicking on the download tab, seeing the browser's options to open the archive and choosing instead to save the file to disk.

And indeed, the archive is in the new directory, unopened, with the two html pages. No prompt to install the new version ever displayed on my system, yet here it is...

Help/About Seamonkey displays:
Seamonkey

version 2.10

You are currently on the release update channel.
Ouch! Have just discovered the explanation. Sometime in September or earlier (the updates history in Preferences/advanced/installation ends there), when I was still running Lucid 5.2.8_x, there was a security update 2.4.1.

Apparently it, or a previous installation/update, reset my installation preferences, setting all Seamonkey and add-on upgrades and installations to 'automatic'. I know I've never opened this window before, didn't even know about it. So it must have become a default setting in some version of SM. Very disturbing...

The update history shows the automatic installation of SM 'security updates' 2.41, 2.5, 2.6.1, 2.7, 2.7.1, 2.7.2, 2.9, 2.9.1, and 2.10.

I've now unchecked the add-on 'download and install' options, and also the
update ones, but left the option to 'check daily' for updates checked.

Not sure what to do about them, especially as you seem to suggest letting them autoinstall to Lupuplus_libre is not a good idea. On one hand, it's surely good to have the latest security fixes, on the other, its preferable to have an installation specifically tested on lupu.

But given the rate of new security updates, I don't expect you could possibly create pets for each them. There seem to have been nine in the past nine months...

playdayz

#1942 Post by playdayz »

Not sure what to do about them, especially as you seem to suggest letting them autoinstall to Lupuplus_libre is not a good idea. On one hand, it's surely good to have the latest security fixes, on the other, its preferable to have an installation specifically tested on lupu.

But given the rate of new security updates, I don't expect you could possibly create pets for each them. There seem to have been nine in the past nine months...
I would have just called those the regular SM updates. We did have pets for most of them. The auto update did seem to work OK for me from 2.9 to 2.10. I might suggest installing the 2.10 pet and then watching next time it asks about updating.

James C

#1943 Post by James C »

FWIW, I've had no problems with SeaMonkey auto-updating to 2.10 or Firefox auto-updating to 13.0 in several full and frugal installs.
Still using a full install of lupu-libre 528.005 as my primary os.

majorfoo

#1944 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
The best thing I think I is to get 01micko's get_libreoffice 0.15 so you can continue to update yourself. It will not work with Lupu/Plus Libre however, since Libreoffice is already installed. Here is the thread -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918

Here is the 3.5.4 sfs -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Libre ... _en-US.sfs
Thanks for 3.54.sfs.
I d/l the " get_libreoffice-015.pet" and will use on future updates of libreoffice.

This new version is super fast and really enjoying it.

Again, thanks for your assistance. You are always Johnny-on-the-Spot, when I need something.

bigpup

#1945 Post by bigpup »

If the person making a pet of Seamonkey or Firefox, does not deliberately turn off auto update, then it will be set on by default, when you install the pet.
Mozilla made auto update on the default setting in all of their browsers.
When you install the browser, the first thing it will do is run auto update and if update is found, it will install the update.
For Seamonkey or Firefox auto update settings can be changed in preferences.
(while I was changing the settings for auto update in Seamonkey, it was already downloading the update.)

Seamonkey preferences for auto update, when you first install the Lucid pet of Seamonkey:
Attachments
Seamonkey preferences.jpg
(54.87 KiB) Downloaded 1075 times
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 11 Jun 2012, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1946 Post by bigpup »

James C wrote:FWIW, I've had no problems with SeaMonkey auto-updating to 2.10 or Firefox auto-updating to 13.0 in several full and frugal installs.
Still using a full install of lupu-libre 528.005 as my primary os.
Same with me.
In Seamonkey 2.9.1 I had auto update set in preferences to only check for updates, but not download and install.
I did the update to 2.10 by help->check for updates.
After the update to 2.10 the preference settings where still set the way I wanted them. So for me, it seems the preferences are not reset, but remembered between updates. Good thing!
YaPI(any iso installer)

shinobar

Seamonkey-2.10-en.sfs

#1947 Post by shinobar »

I do not like auto update because it consumes the lupusave when I am on wary/slacko, or lupu with the seamonkey SFS.

Seamonkey-2.10-en.sfs is now available
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78601
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

James C

#1948 Post by James C »

Just uninstalled Chrome 18 and installed your latest and greatest Chrome 19 pet on the full install of LupuLibre528.005 on my Athlon XP box......works fine. :)

playdayz

#1949 Post by playdayz »

I do not like auto update because it consumes the lupusave when I am on wary/slacko, or lupu with the seamonkey SFS.

Seamonkey-2.10-en.sfs is now available
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78601
Puppy has something for everyone! Shinobar is right--if one uses an sfs-based browser such as his SM, then updating will consume lupusave. I personally don't mind that so much and I prefer that my browser auto-update to stay current--if the browser is installed with a pet then the auto-update will not take any more lupusave space than the pet already takes because it will overwrite files in the pet. Admittedly, the Google Chrome pet for instance does use about 105MB of lupusave.

otropogo

#1950 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
This is my concern also. I've lost a 2sf file in the past because it got filled to the limit.
playdayz wrote:..... I personally don't mind that so much and I prefer that my browser auto-update to stay current--if the browser is installed with a pet then the auto-update will not take any more lupusave space than the pet already takes because it will overwrite files in the pet.

Do you mean that every one of the last nine times Seamonkey auto-installed an update on my lupu528/ lupupluslibre, it left the previous version's files intact in my 2fs file?

If so, how can I get rid of the redundant files? How much space could I expect to recover if I simply uninstall Seamonkey completely, after saving my passwords and bookmarks, and then installing the 2.10 pet?

n1mnal

#1951 Post by n1mnal »

[moved from mistaken location in parent topic "Puppy Projects"]

using Dell 17" LC D monitor at 1024x768, vesa driver
with nvidia video hardware.

1) the text labels of the hard disk partition icons ("sda1", "sda2" etc)
extend into the taskbar space and are partially or completely
overwritten by the taskbar. Strangely, this doesn't happen to fd0.

2) icons for usb drives initially appear each above and half-
overlapping a hard disk partition icon (and/or fd0, can't remember).

Notes: 1) my previous lucid (511) didn't have this problem on this
monitor, but rest of hardware incl video driver was different;
2) This machine has about 9 total hard drive partitions
formatted for filesystems.
3) the first-run setup told me I could have a display 1288 (?)
x 1024, but this mode turned out to have the left edge of
the screen image repeated on the right side.
EndOfNotes, resume previous numbering.

3) I seem to have 2 identical copies of the lupu sfs, one in a subdir
(named, from memory, something like "l528005.43") apparently
created by lupu spontaneously, at the top of the install partition,
and one in the subdir created when lupu asked if I wanted to
install to a subdir, then asked me to specify a name.
Similarly, I seem to have 2 (same size but not identical according
to cmp) lupusave.3fs files, in different directories, but lupu never
asks me to choose between them, it just silently picks one.
Neither of these (near-)duplicates is a problem except as a waste
of space in the rather small install partition.

playdayz

#1952 Post by playdayz »

Google Chrome 19 SFS

Here's an SFS of Google Chrome 19 for anyone prefers an SFS browser. After installing you will need to use the Browser Chooser to select Chrome as the default. It is the same as the pet of Chrome 19-2. You place it in /mnt/home and then use Bootmanager or SFS-Load-on-the-fly to install it.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Googl ... ucid-2.sfs
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1953 Post by playdayz »

Do you mean that every one of the last nine times Seamonkey auto-installed an update on my lupu528/ lupupluslibre, it left the previous version's files intact in my 2fs file?
No, it overwrote them. I usually uninstall the old pet before installing the new one, but that is not necessary--it will take the same amount of space either way. When the new pet is uninstalled the old one will not be there "underneath" because it has been overwritten by the new one which has then been uninstalled.

shinobar

Browser settings

#1954 Post by shinobar »

otropogo wrote: I've lost a 2sf file in the past because it got filled to the limit.
Another issue is the browser/application settings.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

bigpup

#1955 Post by bigpup »

n1mnal wrote:I seem to have 2 identical copies of the lupu sfs, one in a subdir
(named, from memory, something like "l528005.43") apparently
created by lupu spontaneously, at the top of the install partition,
and one in the subdir created when lupu asked if I wanted to
install to a subdir, then asked me to specify a name.
Similarly, I seem to have 2 (same size but not identical according
to cmp) lupusave.3fs files, in different directories, but lupu never
asks me to choose between them, it just silently picks one.
Sounds like you have installed the Lupu.sfs and Lupusave.3fs files from running a live CD of Lucid (Lupu), along with a regular frugal install. The only ones you want to have are what the frugal install put on computer.
one in a subdir (named, from memory, something like "l528005.43")
If this is true, not sure what this is.
my previous lucid (511) didn't have this problem on this
monitor, but rest of hardware incl video driver was different;
If this (Lucid 511) used a save file that is still on computer, Lucid(Lupu) could be trying to use it. Because of the change in hardware it would contain the wrong info and settings.

Try deleting the duplicate files.
Only have the files that are in the subdir created when lupu was
doing the frugal install.
You may also have to rerun the boot loader config program to make sure the entry for Lupu is still pointing to the proper location.
If you have two save files, with the same exact name, it could cause the problems you see.
A corrupted save file will also cause problems.

You can have two Lupusave files, but they have to have different names.
Like:
lupusave-something.3fs
Lupusave-whatever.3fs
When you boot Lucid(lupu) it will ask which one to use.

Better yet, you may want to just delete everything on the computer, Lupu related, and start fresh.

You can do all of this by running Lucid (Lupu) from a live CD, using the boot option puppy pfix=ram.
This will keep the live CD from using any of the files on the computer.
When you reboot from running with the live CD, just say no to any questions about making a save file or putting a copy of the Lupu.sfs on computer.

This info may help you:
Various ways to install puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

Here is a Puppy specific Google search:
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
YaPI(any iso installer)