Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

The Saluki Way

#1921 Post by mikeslr »

Actually smokey01, the Saluki way is more elegant. Its ISO contains a core module and an adrive. The adrive contains a few light apps usually found in Puppy. Saluki will load the adrive if it finds it, but if you didn't copy it from the ISO, or remove it from Saluki's directory, Saluki boots as, essentially, a "Barebones" Puppy with two additional great apps. One is a "Custom-Builder" by which you can create your own adrive using the pets found in Saluki's repo and your own. The other is an SFS Builder. I haven't used it, but believe it works the same way as "Custom-Builder." During its build process Custom-Builder performs checks for dependencies and libs and will download them. So if you limit yourself to the pets in Saluki's repo you're not likely to end up with non-functional applications. Custom-builder also allows you to "remaster" the entire Puplet, including changing its kernel. The result is that you end up with a Puplet just the way you want it, containing as little or as much as you want.

I can only marvel at jemimah's genius and hope that other devs examine the code she used to create Custom-builder and adapt it to future Puppies. That said, for some reason, Playdaz's most recent incarnation of Lupu remains the Puppy I almost always boot into. Maybe its because I prefer openbox-fbpanel-DaveS's-Launcher and desktop-drive-icons as an interface to Saluki's Xfce.

mikesLr

sunburnt

#1922 Post by sunburnt »

At 137 MB it doesn`t seem to be what I`m talking about, not bare bones at all.
I tried to download it, but the page was blank, maybe I`ll try again.

Using SFS files still has the legacy package problem of lib. conflicts.
That`s what`s so nice about self-contained apps., they live in a sand box.

playdayz

#1923 Post by playdayz »

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#1924 Post by don570 »

To Playdayz

Make sure you update Lucid Puppy to Puppy Backup

It has more features than pmirror

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77685

mikeslr

Saluki -- Just to clear the record

#1925 Post by mikeslr »

@ sunburnt,

I don't know about Saluki022 which jemimah labeled experimental. I'm still running 021. Although the ISO is 130 megs, if you exclude adrive and the files needed to boot from a CD the rest is shy of 87 megs.
And while I agree with you in preferring self-contained SFSes*, I am unaware of any Saluki pet which conflicts with any other Saluki pet. Consequently, I don't know of any way an SFS built from Saluki pets will conflict with any other SFS built from Saluki pets.

* I prefer what Playdaz referred to as "Program Folders" a couple of years back, since they are "self-contained".

mikesLr

recobayu

sound and webcam laptop acer aspire 4830z

#1926 Post by recobayu »

hi everyone, i'm sorry to ask you all.
yesterday i bought a new acer aspire 4830z. but it's no sound and lupu can't detect my webcam when i open my guvcview.
in my experience, lupu 528 is more stable than other puppy.
dpup and slacko can handle my sound, but sometimes my screen going to black.
can anyone tell me how to get sound and webcam in lupu 528 in my acer aspire 4830?

thanks.

cthisbear

#1927 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://laptopsoft.com/acer-aspire-timel ... fications/

"""""
More.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/noteb ... Gsp2.shtml

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with 2048 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM, supporting NVIDIA® CUDA™, PhysX™, PureVideo® HD technology, OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 5.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 11

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with 1024 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM, supporting NVIDIA® CUDA™, PhysX™, PureVideo® HD technology, OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 5.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 11

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M with 1024 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM, supporting NVIDIA® CUDA™, PhysX™, PureVideo® HD technology, OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 5.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 11

Output technologies7
Two built-in Acer 3DSonic stereo speakers
High-definition audio support
S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface)8 support for digital speakers
MS-Sound compatible
Built-in digital microphone

Webcam Acer Video Conference1, featuring:

Acer Crystal Eye webcam with 1280 x 1024 resolution
Acer Video Conference Manager software, featuring Video Quality Enhancement (VQE) technology, supporting 640 x 480 resolution online video calls10

"""""""""""

Not much Linux info to add...on my searches.

Chris.

OscarTalks

#1928 Post by OscarTalks »

Playdayz,

Is the Audacious link supposed to download an updated .pet now?
Doesn't seem to download anything for me except a blank file.

It is a nice player so thanks for chasing up the wma stream functionality thing.
Oscar in England

bigpup

Re: sound and webcam laptop acer aspire 4830z

#1929 Post by bigpup »

recobayu wrote: yesterday i bought a new acer aspire 4830z. but it's no sound
can anyone tell me how to get sound in lupu 528 in my acer aspire 4830?
thanks.
Make sure you have the latest version of Lupu. 5.2.8.005

Try this:
Sound muted on boot. Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and choose Full Window. Enable Master, PCM, Front and any others that seem likely and also turn up the volume in each. This should fix things a good percentage of the time. If not, then please try Menu -> Setup -> Alsa Sound Wizard.

If no sound, open Menu -> Multimedia -> Alsamixer (alsamixer, not alsawizard). Press F6 and that will show you what sound devices have been detected and configured. If yours is not the top one then arrow down and click it, then make sure everything plausible is turned up. I have to do this with my “second
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1930 Post by playdayz »

Is the Audacious link supposed to download an updated .pet now?
Doesn't seem to download anything for me except a blank file.
Oscar Talks, You were right. I don't know what happened. It should be OK now. Here's the link again -> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/a ... .2.3-2.pet

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i bought a new acer aspire 4830z. but it's no sound
Brand new computers can be a problem for Lucid. If a little tinkering doesn't help, as Bigpup suggests, then it may be a driver issue. If so, then a newer Puppy would be the answer.

gcmartin

#1931 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:
i bought a new acer aspire 4830z. but it's no sound
Brand new computers can be a problem for Lucid. If a little tinkering doesn't help, as Bigpup suggests, then it may be a driver issue. If so, then a newer Puppy would be the answer.
I would recommend either of the 4 following distros (all of these, save 1, are "beta", but function well with excellent performance and stability on new PCs)
  1. 64bit
  2. 32bit
And, there are others (like Exprimo, etc.) in Puppyland, as well.

My definition on "full feature" relates to their ability to support newer (since 2006) technology in the LAN, OOTB, and full-featured Office offering built-in with JAVA.

Here to help

666philb

#1932 Post by 666philb »

lucid puppy is the only puppy that works with my acer aspire one 722
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#1933 Post by bigpup »

Program updates:

Pmusic 2.6.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

Pburn 3.6.0
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881
Make sure to check required dependency files list. Some new features require additional files.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1934 Post by bigpup »

Must have update for "GetFlash install Flashplayer".

The ever moving target URL for "Adobe Flash Player". They have changed it again, so need the new version of "GetFlash install Flashplayer" so Getflash will work.
getflash-1.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74491
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1935 Post by playdayz »

The ever moving target URL for "Adobe Flash Player". They have changed it again, so need the new version of "GetFlash install Flashplayer" so Getflash will work.
getflash-1.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74491
Sure enough. Thanks to shinobar and Bigpup for catching it. It makes me feel better about using Google Chrome (which has flashplayer built-in) -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 570#630570

majorfoo

#1936 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
LibreOffice 3.5.4 is the fastest version of the best free office suite ever, with up to 100% performance gains when opening large files (depending on operating system, hardware configuration and file contents).
Majorfoo, Good news indeed. Thanks.

Could you provide pet or sfs on the latest libreoffice?
This could be used now in lieu of updated versions of lucid/libreoffice.

thanks
majorfoo

cowboy

openoffice redux

#1937 Post by cowboy »

majorfoo,

As an aside, did you note that 01micko has compiled the new Openoffice 3.4 for both Lucid and Slacko:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78709

Haven't tried the new Ooo yet, but it's good to know that the project has escaped from Oracle, and that Apache is moving forward with new code.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

playdayz

#1938 Post by playdayz »

Could you provide pet or sfs on the latest libreoffice?
The best thing I think I is to get 01micko's get_libreoffice 0.15 so you can continue to update yourself. It will not work with Lupu/Plus Libre however, since Libreoffice is already installed. Here is the thread -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918

Here is the 3.5.4 sfs -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Libre ... _en-US.sfs
Attachments
get_libreoffice-0.15.pet
(26.62 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 23:23, edited 3 times in total.

otropogo

Unprompted Seamonkey upgrade

#1939 Post by otropogo »

A couple of days ago I opened Seamonkey in lupuplus_libre and instead of seeing the blank page specified in my preferences setting, saw displayed a page of the Seamonkey website showing the features of SM 2.1.

(I should add that this has happened to me before, under Lupu5.2.8_x).

I downloaded the 3.6?MB file to my hard drive, but did nothing else with it, not even extraction, as I wanted to study the features and perhaps read some reviews before deciding to upgrade. However, all this caution proved to be futile.

Soon I started experiencing annoying changes in the browser display, some extremely annoying, such as the irretrievable loss of the tool bar and navigation bar on some pages. In one case I lost all control of the system, including the use of CTL-ALT-DEL to shut down, and had to do a hard power down. And the changes survived the reboot!

Eventually, by trial and error,clicking on various parts of the screen, I discovered I could summon a menu to regain some control and recovered the navigation bar and the tool bar. At that point I clicked on the help tab and discovered that Seamonkey 2.1 was running. Evidently, it had installed itself over the previous version without waiting for any input from me...

Thus my wonderment at Seamonkey upgrade pets for Lucid.

Am I the only user of Lupu5.2.8-x (because the same thing has happened to me with it) or lupuplus_libre to experience this automatic upgrade of Seamonkey?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

playdayz

#1940 Post by playdayz »

Thus my wonderment at Seamonkey upgrade pets for Lucid.
The pets I post contain the latest version of the full Seamonkey. One could uninstall any previous version and then install the new pet. Anyway, I think the safest is to use the Lucid pets. If you got a 3.6MB update from Lucid that would have been a bad download. And I just checked--the Seamonkey update from 2.9 to 2.10 is 21MB, so I am thinking any 3.6MB update would have been a bad download--and so far the SM update looks OK.