Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sunburnt

#1891 Post by sunburnt »

Ubuntu Lucid apps. and lib.s should work with Puppy 5.2.8 Lucid?
If there are known problems please tell...

I`m wanting to make large groups of apps. bundled into Squash files.
This way folks won`t need a 2 GB Save file!

### Has a Lucid been made that`s completely stripped of larger apps.?
It still needs: X, xOrg, VT, Geany, mtPaint, Puppy scripts, etc.

bigpup

#1892 Post by bigpup »

Sunburst,
The ones you can download with Puppy Package Manager, if you configure it to access the Ubuntu repositories, should work.
Need to make sure you run check for dependencies option when you use PPM to download a Ubuntu package.
The Ubuntu packages, with all their required dependencies, can be very large.
Packages made specifically for Puppy is the best way to go.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1893 Post by playdayz »

Google Chrome 19-2 for Lucid
This is a new package of Chrome 19 with the changes discussed in the messages above with Eyes-Only, plus a slight bump from 19.0.1084.46 to 1084.52

One possible advantage of Chrome (in addition to the speed) is that Flashplayer is built-in so that the external Flashplayer is not needed. I believe that this has solved problems people have had with youtube in Lucid. There has been discussion I read that Adobe will discontinue the Linux version of Flashplayer after 11.2 except for companies that "partner" with Adobe, which I understand that Google is or will

This version is set up so that some options that report to Google are turned off: Under "The Wrench" -> Settings -> Show Advanced Settings -> Privacy one can turn off some options which *might* insure that info is not sent to Google and *might* improve the quickness of the browser. Turning them off will certainly generate somewhat less internet traffic.

Additionally, in /usr/bin/google-chrome the command line option --disable-metrics is *in some versions* of Chrome said to turn off the collection of info that would be sent to Google--thereby not sending info and again possibly speeding up the browser. I am not sure if this works in Chrome 19 but the option is present. The browser Iron claims to provide further privacy safeguards but does not include flashplayer.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Googl ... ucid-2.pet

Adblock Plus for Chrome -> http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome
Attachments
chrome-privacy.png
(39.86 KiB) Downloaded 9759 times
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 29 May 2012, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1894 Post by playdayz »

Sunburst,
Quote:

The ones you can download with Puppy Package Manager, if you configure it to access the Ubuntu repositories, should work.
Need to make sure you run check for dependencies option when you use PPM to download a Ubuntu package.
The Ubuntu packages, with all their required dependencies, can be very large.
Yes to everything Bigpup said. My experience is that somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 of the applications in the Ubuntu Lucid repos in PPM will work in Lupu. The ones that don't work run afoul of the differences between the Ubuntu infrastructure and the Puppy infrastructure. The bigger and the more complicated the program the less likely it will run. Many of the apps in the *Lucid* repo of PPM have been made from the Ubuntu binaries. There is an option in PPM to download all of the dependencies--to make the packages in the Lucid repo I did that and then "undebed" and combined them so that they could all be installed at once.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 29 May 2012, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1895 Post by playdayz »

Audacious 3.2.3-2 for Lucid
Audacious 3.2.3 released
May 26, 2012
This release fixes several bugs (#91, #99, #102, #108, #111, #113, #114) and updates some translations.
To see the bug fixes -> http://audacious-media-player.org/

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/audacious-3.2.3-2.pet

This -2 version has the mms and ffaudio plugins to play wma mms streams.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 03 Jun 2012, 01:01, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#1896 Post by James C »

Pretty uneventful day so I did a full install of Lupu Libre on an old test box..... dual-booting with XP. Pretty uneventful install too...... about five minutes and zero problems.Everything appears to be working fine.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid , version 528

Chip description:
oem: Copyright 1998 TRIDENT MICROSYSTEMS INC.

Driver used by Xorg:
trident

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
Memory : 507MB (113MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 29 May 2012 05:47:29 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA686A - VIA 82C686A/B rev50

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 507028 232132 274896 0 13900
Swap: 1126392 0 1126392
Total: 1633420 232132 1401288
#
Attachments
lupu libre.png
(51.91 KiB) Downloaded 9678 times

majorfoo

#1897 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:Audacious 3.2.3 for Lucid
Audacious 3.2.3 released
May 26, 2012
Thanks for new version of Audacious - I use Audacious daily for my music player - works great

playdayz

#1898 Post by playdayz »

I use Audacious daily for my music player
So do I. For those who might not know, Audacious is descended from the original Linux mp3 player XMMS. XMMS was a copy of Winamp for Linux and even used Winamp skins--in fact, Audacious can still use Winamp skins and some are included in the package--under View -> Interface -> Winamp Skins (or something like that)--though I prefer the newer gtk gui, which is the default.

OscarTalks

#1899 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Playdayz,

Thanks for the Audacious .pet

Works fine on mp3 and AAC+ streams, direct URL or via .pls metafile.

Any idea how to get it to play wma streams?

Cheers
Oscar in England

playdayz

#1900 Post by playdayz »

Any idea how to get it to play wma streams?
If it is a copy-protected wma stream then Audacious will not play it. It should play non-protected wma files I believe. Do you have a link I could test?

If it is a non-protected wma stream you might also try gnome-mplayer.

OscarTalks

#1901 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Playdayz,

Thanks for the reply. Many radio stations use wma for their streams which is why for me an audio player needs to be able to play them and it seems they are handled differently from wma files. In WMP you have to use mms:// as the protocol rather than http:// to connect to the direct wma stream url although often you will see a metafile of some sort with an http:// prefix being used. The mms:// url will be contained within the metafile if you open it as text.

One example is WFTL in Florida. I can enter "http://streamer5.securenetsystems.net:80/WFTL" into VLC and it will connect and play, but the media information dialogue shows that the actual stream location is "mms://streamer5.securenetsystems.net/WFTL". If you enter this into VLC directly it plays also.

Otherwise there is a list of UK radio stations' wma streams at http://radiofeeds.co.uk/wmp.asp

Looking at the Audacious forum there was mention of needing to install libmms and the mms plugin as well as ffaudio.

Cheers
Oscar in England

jim3630

#1902 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote: There is an option in PPM to download all of the dependencies--to make the packages in the Lucid repo I did that and then "undebed" and combined them so that they could all be installed at once.
playdayz

i wonder. you download all dependencies by selecting that option, but not installed. then how do you "undebed" them and combine to install at once?

i download all dependencies and selected not to install them so to save in a separate partition then install the debs one by one and can reuse them again if needed. i didn't know there is a way other than installing one at a time.
thanks lost in the desert jim

sunburnt

#1903 Post by sunburnt »

Thanks big pup and palydayz; That`s exactly what I needed to know.

Work on the differences in infrastructure could produce a new package tool.
This would be fixes to the packages and possibly changes to Puppy.
Making Puppy more "something" like to give it a new package base is good.

Karl Godt

#1904 Post by Karl Godt »

jim3630 wrote:
playdayz wrote: There is an option in PPM to download all of the dependencies--to make the packages in the Lucid repo I did that and then "undebed" and combined them so that they could all be installed at once.
playdayz

i wonder. you download all dependencies by selecting that option, but not installed. then how do you "undebed" them and combine to install at once?

i download all dependencies and selected not to install them so to save in a separate partition then install the debs one by one and can reuse them again if needed. i didn't know there is a way other than installing one at a time.
Jim : Open them with xarchive. Xarchive will install them to ./usr, ./etc etc in the current directory . If you create a mainfolder like application-version also possible in xarchive and let xarchive install them to ./application-version/usr etc ..
Another way is the "dpkg --help" binary or busybox applet " busybox dpkg-deb -x " application-version.deb .

Code: Select all

FULLPKG=`basename ${FULLPKGNAME} .deb`
mkdir -p /tmp/${FULLPKG}
dpkg-deb -x ${FULLPKGNAME} /tmp/${FULLPKG}

oldyeller

#1905 Post by oldyeller »

Hello,

I was wandering if the updated programs that were put into 528 be put into 525?

Thanks,

oldyeller

playdayz

#1906 Post by playdayz »

jim3630, here is what I often do. There is a program named undeb; I wrote a simple script to loop it through the debs. All debs in the same folder and then all of the "undebed" programs will be in that folder in /usr, etc. which can then be combined. undeb is in Lucid and here is the script.

for file in *
do 
undeb $file
done
I think micko has a more sophisticated script to turn debs into packages.
I was wandering if the updated programs that were put into 528 be put into 525?

Yes, I think they could be. It would be matter of downloading the pets from the forum and then installing them.
Many radio stations use wma for their streams which is why for me an audio player needs to be able to play them and it seems they are handled differently from wma files. In WMP you have to use mms:// as the protocol rather than http:// to connect to the direct wma stream url although often you will see a metafile of some sort with an http:// prefix being used. The mms:// url will be contained within the metafile if you open it as text.

One example is WFTL in Florida. I can enter "http://streamer5.securenetsystems.net:80/WFTL" into VLC and it will connect and play,
That is interesting Oscar Talks. Thanks for the info. I didn't really know that there were many wma streams--since I Iisten mainly to Shoutcast stations, mp3 and aac. PupTelly in Lupu will also play the link you provided. I will look into it as I have time but if you find out any more please let me know. When I try to play that stream in Audacious I get a decoder not found error.
libmms and the mms plugin
This wouldn't be the first time I missed an Audacious plugin--for a while I didn't know about bs2b ;-) If this is like that then Aduacious would need to be recompiled with the libmms to build the plugin <Add> which I just did but I still get the decoder not found error. It looks like I need to figure out the ffaudio plugin now. Yes, the ffaudio plugin is not being built and I don't know why not.

OK, It seems that Audacious has upped the ffmpeg requirement to 0.9 which Lupu does not have. This happened at version 3.2 I gather. dealing with it would be a big hassle. I have not found the Audacious programmers to be very interested in end users.
I don't know the motivations to force only ffmpeg0.9 or later in audacious, but the solutions that are given here involve some manipulations that are certainly not easy for most users. And in package repositories of several linux based operating systems, the latest version of ffmpeg is 0.7 (in my case, I have the latest version of Ubuntu, 11.10) and the change to ffmpeg 0.9 as official WON'T HAPPEN SOON.

stu90

#1907 Post by stu90 »

jim3630 wrote:
playdayz

Hello jim3630,
Have a look for Pemasu's version of rox-filer right click menus - it has an undeb all .debs in directory right click and a turn dir into pet right click.

kevin bowers

Undeb/unrpm

#1908 Post by kevin bowers »

Note on usage: I have found when using undeb or unrpm (both commands are included in the .pet) YOU WANT TO ORIGINATE THE COMMAND FROM THE ROOT (/) DIRECTORY. If you have filename.deb in, say, /root/my-documents, and use a <right-click>terminal here, and

undeb filename.deb
, it will install all components to levels deeper than /root/my-documents; which is to say, if it is supposed to install to /usr/bin/, it will create and install to /root/my-documents/usr/bin/. There may be a way around this but my fix is simply to copy the .deb to / and undeb from there. The same holds true for unrpm.

sunburnt

#1909 Post by sunburnt »

Wouldn`t that be; if you want to install the package extract in / ?
I think clicking on the file opens a Puppy install dialog that extracts in / .

If you want to make a pet or sfs from it, extract it in a dir.

kevin bowers

#1910 Post by kevin bowers »

sunburnt wrote:Wouldn`t that be; if you want to install the package extract in / ?
I think clicking on the file opens a Puppy install dialog that extracts in / .

If you want to make a pet or sfs from it, extract it in a dir.
The undeb and unrpm commands simply take a .deb or .rpm file and install it in the directories that Debian or Redhat would put it in. But they are very simple command-line programs, and simply look above whatever their current working directory is. That is, they assume they are being run from /.

One more point: in frugal installs, in Puppy this means /mnt/home.