Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sylvander

#1831 Post by Sylvander »

1. @bigpup
WOOHOO!
Your suggestion produced the fix. :D
I should mention something of significance as follows:
(a) I had previously used a program totally different to getflash-0.9.9...
The one that fetches and installs the .tar.gz file given at the flashplayer website.

(b) When I'd uninstalled that previous flashplayer version [listed as "flashplayer" only with no version info in the PPM]...
It didn't remove the "flashplayer" entry in the PPM. :(
This had always caused me to be concerned, but I did nothing about it because I had no idea what to do.
However...

(c) This time...
After having removed flashplayer11-11.2.202.235...
I then removed "flashplayer", and got a red warning [see screenshot below].
Every other time I'd uninstalled this "flashplayer" from the PPM, success was reported [no red warning], but the entry remained. :(
So anyway, this time...

(d) I found the entry for "flashplayer" in "/root/.packages/user-installed-packages", and deleted it.
I also deleted the folder branch for the flashplayer. [risky or what?]

(e) Then used getflash-0.9.9 to re-install flashplayer11-11.2.202.235.
And the George Carlin video at Youtube PLAYS just fine! :D 8)
Attachments
00.jpg
(18.42 KiB) Downloaded 2044 times
Last edited by Sylvander on Sun 06 May 2012, 07:13, edited 3 times in total.

greengeek

#1832 Post by greengeek »

playdayz wrote:
I have encountered a problem with a USB boot freeze when installing Lucid 528.005 (or Saluki...) on my Acer netbook.
Could you try Lupu Plus and see if the same thing happens?
Hi playdayz, I have been investigating this further and have found a way to install Lucid 528.005 or LupuPlus to my USB stick. It is rather strange, but here is what works:

1) Format the stick using Gparted from a live CD of Puppy 4.3.1
2) Run the 4.3.1 universal installer and install 4.3.1
3) Reboot the computer with the Lupuplus CD, then plug in the usb stick, manually remove the 4.3.1 vmlinuz, initrd.gz and .sfs then run the LupuPlus universal installer and install Lupu to the stick.

I don't know why the Gparted/Universal Installer from 4.3.1 works when relying on the inbuilt Lupu Gparted/Universal installer doesn't work for me, but I am covering my research into this issue on another topic.

Anyway, if anyone is having problems creating a Lucid 528.005 or LupuPlus USB stick for the purposes of booting an Acer eMachines N450 netbook, give this a try.

greengeek

#1833 Post by greengeek »

l2ulinux wrote: Did you run the Grub4Dos bootloader config?
No, I didn't try that. Is it necessary to use Grub or Grub4Dos for a usb boot? I thought that was only for HDD install?

kevin bowers

LupuPlusLibre528.005-2

#1834 Post by kevin bowers »

Just did a frugal install of LupuPlusLibre528.005-2 on an MSi Wind U160. This is pretty much a generic netbook, Atom processor, 1GB RAM, molasses in January. For you southern-hemisphere types, that's a cold month here.

LupuPlusLibre works very well. It's snappy and rock-stable, and I'm impressed with the LibreOffice integration. SWriter takes about 3 1/2 seconds to load, amazing for this machine.

I did have some problems with wireless. So what else is new, right? SNS would not configure the RT2860 chip at all, Dougal's network wizard would but would not survive reboot. IMHO this is a timing issue, with my home network it almost always is. However, Frisbee seems to deal with the delays with no problems.

FOR ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH WIRELESS CONFIG IN PUPPY I RECOMMEND TRYING FRISBEE!

Everything else works OOTB. Once again, pats on the back to Playdayz and the other devs.

One thing: does anyone have a way to use TV tuner cards in Puppy? I have several machines with them (this one has a USB stick), and while GMPlayer has a "live TV" setting it has no way to control channels. There seem to be modules loaded for this one and a Hauppage PCI card in another computer, but no way I've found to actually use them. Amazingly enough, the little netbook will actually play live HDTV in Windows!

bigpup

Re: LupuPlusLibre528.005-2

#1835 Post by bigpup »

kevin bowers wrote: One thing: does anyone have a way to use TV tuner cards in Puppy? I have several machines with them (this one has a USB stick), and while GMPlayer has a "live TV" setting it has no way to control channels. There seem to be modules loaded for this one and a Hauppage PCI card in another computer, but no way I've found to actually use them. Amazingly enough, the little netbook will actually play live HDTV in Windows!
Maybe someplace in these posts will be answer.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0159956439 ... gsc.page=1
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1836 Post by playdayz »

I don't know why the Gparted/Universal Installer from 4.3.1 works when relying on the inbuilt Lupu Gparted/Universal installer doesn't work for me, but I am covering my research into this issue on another topic.
shinobar explained it in reply to your message in a different forum. You gave him the clue that Saluki and Lupu were the only ones that didn't work correctly. Good detective work.
FOR ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH WIRELESS CONFIG IN PUPPY I RECOMMEND TRYING FRISBEE!
Yes, that's why it is installable from Menu -> Internet -> Frisbee...
No, I didn't try that. Is it necessary to use Grub or Grub4Dos for a usb boot? I thought that was only for HDD install?
Not "necessary," but another option I think--check with the grub4dos guru shinobar.

kevin bowers

Re: LupuPlusLibre528.005-2

#1837 Post by kevin bowers »

bigpup wrote:
kevin bowers wrote: One thing: does anyone have a way to use TV tuner cards in Puppy? I have several machines with them (this one has a USB stick), and while GMPlayer has a "live TV" setting it has no way to control channels. There seem to be modules loaded for this one and a Hauppage PCI card in another computer, but no way I've found to actually use them. Amazingly enough, the little netbook will actually play live HDTV in Windows!
Maybe someplace in these posts will be answer.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0159956439 ... gsc.page=1
Thanks for the heads-up, and for the kick in the butt--I needed it. I did this search a few years back but gave up, everything I found was way over my head. The only thing I managed to gather back then was that I needed a channels.conf file, but could never figure out how to get one.

This time around I found this link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36672. While paulski was setting up a specific card, his instructions are the best I've found for general use:
-----------------------------------------------------
For Puppy 5.11

You still need to install linux tv apps
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/Mp ... -1.1.1.pet

That gives you the scan command not included in Puppy 5.11

Find in the internet the initial scan file for your area
http://linuxtv.org/hg/dvb-apps/file/afd ... can/dvb-t/
and run scan as following in a console
(in the example my initial scan file is called "de-Bonn")
Code:
scan de-Bonn | tee channels.conf

Watch it tune in to the stations it finds and build a channels.conf file.

Put channels.conf in your root directory.

Now get a reasonable media player like VLC. You will find it in the quickpet software.

Make this script to start VLC
Code:
#!/bin/sh
vlc -vvv /root/channels.conf

Use the next track arrow thingo to change channels, or the playlist --- easy!
----------------------------------------------------
One thing he left out: the initial scan files are included in the .pet, they are installed in /root/my-applications along with some readmes.

Once the .pet was installed, I used the file /root/my-applications/atsc/us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB, opened a terminal and:

Code: Select all

scan us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB | tee channels.conf
If you've ever scanned your local TV stations with any tuner setup (who hasn't?) you know this takes awhile. Eventually it creates the file channels.conf which I then copied to /root/.mplayer. Open GMplayer (click on the desktop "play" icon), menu file>TV>Digital TV, and what do you know you're watching TV! GMplayer changes channels the same way paulski said VLC does.

Note that the readme for the .pet package says that it's important to run their MAKEDEV-DVB.sh because Puppy does not have udev to do it automatically. Lupu 528 must because I did not find running it necessary.

One problem left: it turns out my little USB tuner stick does not have a kernel module associated with it. It's an MSi Digivox ATSC, vendor 0db0, product 8810. MSi only offers Windows 7 drivers for it. Suggestions?

radky

#1838 Post by radky »

playdayz

#1839 Post by playdayz »

Gnome-Mplayer 1.0.6 Lucid

Update to 1.0.6 Gnome-Mplayer - Any problems? It plays CD's now, that is the only noticeable change - it does not include gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.6, which I am thinking is not even relevant - has anyone ever actually used gecko-mediaplayer to play any media?
Setting PulseAudio as the default Audio Output is recommended for systems configured with PulseAudio as the default output device and volume is now tracked properly
Size allocation bugs are now fixed as well as media restarts when needed.
Added -zoom option to mplayer commandline when x11 is picked as the vo
Fixed compile issues due to missing libm
Fixed several pointer issues
Removal of some older non-used code
Fixed some issues with some websites to solve gecko-mediaplayer issues
Enhance key handler to work with remapped keys
Add Preference to disable Nautilus plugin if desired, allows plugin package to be installed, but not enabled in nautilus. Solves some packaging issues
Attachments
gnome-mplayer-1.0.6-Lucid.pet
(159.94 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 09 May 2012, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1840 Post by bigpup »

Well, this is what it is suppose to be used for.
The player can be used to play media on websites from your browser when used with Gecko Mediaplayer and is the modern replacement for the mplayerplug-in application.
Seems every website I go to wants to use Flashplayer.
I guess it depends on what you are trying to play.
This is what Firefox wants to use Geco-mediaplayer for.
Attachments
gecko-mediaplayer in Firefox.jpg
(54.1 KiB) Downloaded 1655 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1841 Post by playdayz »

Sylpheed 3.1.4

Latest version - not much change
Fixes for Yahoo! Mail IMAP server and Microsoft Exchange IMAP server were made.
A bug that cancelling editing contact on address book results in click-and-drag behavior with newer GTK+ was fixed.

nooby

#1842 Post by nooby »

kevin bowers
thanks for that description and links on how to get TV going.
I have not tested it but would want to when I feel for an "adventure"

I have Hauppauge 900 dongle. We have PAL instead of the NTFS thing
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#1843 Post by nooby »

Could it be that reusing an old save file somehow screwed up
the Simple Network something? Now I have to connect each morning
and before the upgrade to 005 from 004 it did connect to internet automatically. Nothing to worry about I guess. Just a slight inconveniance.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

shinobar

ANNOUNCE: nvidia-glx-sdl-295.49.sfs

#1844 Post by shinobar »

Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

kevin bowers

#1845 Post by kevin bowers »

nooby wrote:kevin bowers
thanks for that description and links on how to get TV going.
I have not tested it but would want to when I feel for an "adventure"

I have Hauppauge 900 dongle. We have PAL instead of the NTFS thing
Shouldn't be a problem as long as your dongle supports it. There a quite a few startup files included in the .pet package, many of them European and Australian, simply choose one that's appropriate for your area. Good luck!

mikeslr

Nightingale with SHOUTcast & Last.fm --Songbird Clone

#1846 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

If you miss SHOUTCast and Last.fm radio, you might want to try Nightingale. Instructions and pet to run it from /mnt/home found here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 568#626568

mikesLr

playdayz

#1847 Post by playdayz »

mikeslr, Nightingale ran for me but "Failed to load Shoutcast streams" in both 3HD and LupuPlus. There must be something we are overlooking.

People can of course go directly to shoutcast.com, but that is just one feature of Nightingale.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashvideoreplacer

Earthray found this. It replaces flashplayer with gnome-mplayer (or other player at your choice). Anyone having trouble with youtube videos might want to try it. It is working for me.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 731#625731

Plus, many youtube videos will now automatically play with html5 if flashplayer is not installed. Flashvideoreplacer has an option to prefer html5.

radky

#1848 Post by radky »

don570

Baconrecorder 2.8

#1849 Post by don570 »

Baconrecorder 2.8 has an improved interface for 480 pixel height

HERE

don570

#1850 Post by don570 »

A forum member announced audacity 2.0 working

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78257