Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sylvander

#1816 Post by Sylvander »

1. Running Lupu-528.005->Firefox-11-Lucid-2->flashplayer11-11.2.202.235
Youtube videos won't play...
Says a plugin is needed, but cannot find a suitable plugin.
The above Firefox and flashplayer fixed the problem in 3-Headed-Dog, but not here in Lupu-528.005
I'd like to use both 3-Headed-Dog AND Lupu-528.004.
Hence...
Any fix available?

playdayz

#1817 Post by playdayz »

Running Lupu-528.005->Firefox-11-Lucid-2->flashplayer11-11.2.202.235
Is that the latest flashplayer? Try Menu -> Internet -> Get Flash (in lupu 528-005)

Try FF 12? Try Google Chrome 18 which has Flashplayer built-in.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

it seems like things are getting ridiculous about the latest flashplayer--I think adobe wants everyone to let flashplayer automatically update itself. That is one reason I have been using Google Chrome mostly--because it handles flashplayer itself.
Attachments
getflash-0.9.pet
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

Tman

#1818 Post by Tman »

About Flashplayer,

Adobe has abandoned support for all browsers except for chrome.

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2012/02/adobe- ... h-for.html

bigpup

#1819 Post by bigpup »

Tman wrote:About Flashplayer,

Adobe has abandoned support for all browsers except for chrome.
Wonder what Google paid them, so people will need to use Chrome.
Anything to make it easier for Chrome to track and record what you do. Google info collection stream.
Google watching and recording all we do.
Does seem some of the complaining, about information collection, has changed their policy. So they claim.
Notice you have to make specific setting changes to stop it.
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 05 May 2012, 03:05, edited 3 times in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

TLM

#1820 Post by TLM »

Sylvander wrote:1. Running Lupu-528.005->Firefox-11-Lucid-2->flashplayer11-11.2.202.235
Says a plugin is needed, but cannot find a suitable plugin.
The above Firefox and flashplayer fixed the problem in 3-Headed-Dog, but not here in Lupu-528.005
I'd like to use both 3-Headed-Dog AND Lupu-528.004.
Hence...
Any fix available?
You mention Lupu-528.005 at the beginning of your post, and Lupu-528.004 at the end. Which Lupu are you using? I just got flashplayer11-11.2.202.235 on my 528.004 with Firefox 12 and YouTube works fine. I tested several videos. My FireFox was installed with the pet for FF 9.0.1-2 for Lucid and i upgraded to FF 12 by using the Help-About Firefox-Check for Updates method.

shinobar

GetFlash updated

#1821 Post by shinobar »

EDIT: v1.0 is out

# v0.9.9 - 3 May 2012 shinobar: version choice, jwm -reload for no flicker(01mico)
# v1.0 - 5 May 2012 shinobar: flashplayer11-11.2.202.228, insert sudu line
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74491

Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Sylvander

#1822 Post by Sylvander »

1. @playdayz:
(a) I have getflash-0.9.9.pet installed and used it to install flashplayer11-11.2.202.235, which is the latest version offered by getflash.
(b) Firefox-11 has now auto-updated to firefox-12, but this still cannot play Youtube videos.
Do you think that uninstalling Firefox-12 obtained by auto-update, and installing Firefox-12 using the PET you linked would be worth trying?

(c) I already have installed "Google_Chrome-18-Lucid", and that plays Youtube videos OK.

(d) The reason I got into this at this time is because FTT at www.pcguide.com/vb/ cannot get sound [video is OK] on a George Carlin Youtube video in his desktop [Windows?] OS...
And I was trying to help with that.
Here's his thread.
Even Google Chrome won't play sound in this particular video. :?

2. @TLM
Lupu-528.004 was a typo.
Sorry about that. :(

Brown Mouse

#1823 Post by Brown Mouse »

Sylvander wrote:1. @playdayz:
(a) I have getflash-0.9.9.pet installed and used it to install flashplayer11-11.2.202.235, which is the latest version offered by getflash.
(b) Firefox-11 has now auto-updated to firefox-12, but this still cannot play Youtube videos.
Do you think that uninstalling Firefox-12 obtained by auto-update, and installing Firefox-12 using the PET you linked would be worth trying?

(c) I already have installed "Google_Chrome-18-Lucid", and that plays Youtube videos OK.

(d) The reason I got into this at this time is because FTT at www.pcguide.com/vb/ cannot get sound [video is OK] on a George Carlin Youtube video in his desktop [Windows?] OS...
And I was trying to help with that.
Here's his thread.
Even Google Chrome won't play sound in this particular video. :?

2. @TLM
Lupu-528.004 was a typo.
Sorry about that. :(
Might be worth rolling back to FlashPlayer-11.2.202.228 which seems to work fine with auto-updated Firefox 12.
Last edited by Brown Mouse on Sat 05 May 2012, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#1824 Post by Sylvander »

Emergency Flash update
Fixes exploits in the wild:
v11.2.202.235
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Risky to rollback to FlashPlayer-11.2.202.228 ?

Brown Mouse

#1825 Post by Brown Mouse »

Sylvander wrote:Emergency Flash update
Fixes exploits in the wild:
v11.2.202.235
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Risky to rollback to FlashPlayer-11.2.202.228 ?
Never experienced any in the past.Uninstall Flash and reboot before installing different version.

bigpup

#1826 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote: (a) I have getflash-0.9.9.pet installed and used it to install flashplayer11-11.2.202.235, which is the latest version offered by getflash.
One possible fix for problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 168#624168
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#1827 Post by Sylvander »

1. @bigpup
Unable to attempt your suggestion by using the Settings Manager, because it won't display because Flash isn't functioning.
The warning says Flash is needed, which implies it isn't installed, and yet it is installed. :?

2. @Brown Mouse
Decided to try FlashPlayer-11.2.202.228, but....
It isn't offered as a choice by getflash-0.9.9, and...
Cannot find a PET file for it. :(

otropogo

#1828 Post by otropogo »

Thanks for you suggestions, bigpup
bigpup wrote:otropogo,

Video/audio sync problems.

In Gnome Mplayer
Try adjusting any settings that deal with cache higher. Keep in mind that higher settings will cause it to not play until the cache fills up.
Mplayer tab-
Enable cache
play around with cache setting.
Start with a low cache setting like 100 and adjust up. This is fine tuning. (too much cache can cause problems)
Tried various settings, from disabled to 4000, but couldn't detect any change.
player tab-
Audio output: I would make ALSA.
Detected no change
Video output: Maybe try XV (this should effect quality)
With this change I got the control bar but no video at all.Video display would flash on for a fraction of a second, then disappear.

Other media players to use.
VLC media player would be a good one to try.
I tried both vlc-1.1.10 and vlc 1.1.7. Both gave a list of missing dependencies:

File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_filter/libpanoramix_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-randr.so.0
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_output/libxcb_xv_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-xv.so.0
File /root/programs3/vlc-1.1.10/modules/video_filter/.libs/libpanoramix_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-randr.so.0
File /root/programs3/vlc-1.1.10/modules/video_filter/.libs/libpanoramix_plugin.soT has these missing library files:
libxcb-randr.so.0
File /root/programs3/vlc-1.1.10/modules/video_output/.libs/libxcb_xv_plugin.soT has these missing library files:
libxcb-xv.so.0
File /root/programs3/vlc-1.1.10/modules/video_output/.libs/libxcb_xv_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-xv.so.0

File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/misc/libsvg_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libpng14.so.14
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/misc/libnotify_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libpng14.so.14
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/control/libglobalhotkeys_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-keysyms.so.1
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libaccess_mtp_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libmtp.so.8
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_filter/libpanoramix_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-randr.so.0
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libkate_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libpng14.so.14
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libsdl_image_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 libpng14.so.14 libjpeg.so.8
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libpng_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libpng14.so.14
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/visualization/libprojectm_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libGLEW.so.1.5
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/meta_engine/libtaglib_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libtag.so.1
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_output/libaa_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libgpm.so.1
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_output/libxcb_x11_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-shm.so.0
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_output/libxcb_window_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-keysyms.so.1
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_output/libxcb_xv_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-xv.so.0 libxcb-shm.so.0
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/services_discovery/libmtp_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libmtp.so.8

Both versions of VLC play some of my test video clips in good sync. Whereas Gmplayer's audio gets as much as 20 seconds ahead of the video.

However, both VLC player abort on many videos with a message of:
unable to open MRL

see log for details
I haven't been able to find the log though.

vlc-1.1.1 seems difficult to get also. Several listed sites turned me away. Ibiblios was slower than molasses, and mirror.aarnet edu.au, which showed decent throughput, announced bad downloads several times and then apparently installed it twice (at least that's what package manager reports).

The interface for this one is rather difficult to configure also. Particularly how to get an fwd/reverse slider bar eludes me.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

bigpup

#1829 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:1. @bigpup
Unable to attempt your suggestion by using the Settings Manager, because it won't display because Flash isn't functioning.
The warning says Flash is needed, which implies it isn't installed, and yet it is installed. :?
Idea to try.
In PPM uninstall flashplayer.
Reboot (never know what is locked in memory).
Reinstall Flash with Getflash.
Not sure, but probably good idea to have all browsers, not running, when installing Flash.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1830 Post by bigpup »

otropogo,

I am using this SFS version of VLC 2.0, in frugal install of Lucid528.005, with no problem.
Not knowing what you know.
I assume you know how to use SFS packages with frugal installs of Puppy.
If you need help, ask.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76271
playdayz wrote:It is necessary to install the Xorg_High-1.1 pet to provide mesa glx video, or, alternatively, to install one of the proprietary ATI or Nivida drivers. If one has an Nvidia card it is probably necessary to install one of the proprietary drivers.
Do you have a link, to a video, that does not work with VLC?
:
unable to open MRL
see log for details
Found this info on what is possible cause for this error and how to fix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scp5--4YYnI
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#1831 Post by Sylvander »

1. @bigpup
WOOHOO!
Your suggestion produced the fix. :D
I should mention something of significance as follows:
(a) I had previously used a program totally different to getflash-0.9.9...
The one that fetches and installs the .tar.gz file given at the flashplayer website.

(b) When I'd uninstalled that previous flashplayer version [listed as "flashplayer" only with no version info in the PPM]...
It didn't remove the "flashplayer" entry in the PPM. :(
This had always caused me to be concerned, but I did nothing about it because I had no idea what to do.
However...

(c) This time...
After having removed flashplayer11-11.2.202.235...
I then removed "flashplayer", and got a red warning [see screenshot below].
Every other time I'd uninstalled this "flashplayer" from the PPM, success was reported [no red warning], but the entry remained. :(
So anyway, this time...

(d) I found the entry for "flashplayer" in "/root/.packages/user-installed-packages", and deleted it.
I also deleted the folder branch for the flashplayer. [risky or what?]

(e) Then used getflash-0.9.9 to re-install flashplayer11-11.2.202.235.
And the George Carlin video at Youtube PLAYS just fine! :D 8)
Attachments
00.jpg
(18.42 KiB) Downloaded 2044 times
Last edited by Sylvander on Sun 06 May 2012, 07:13, edited 3 times in total.

greengeek

#1832 Post by greengeek »

playdayz wrote:
I have encountered a problem with a USB boot freeze when installing Lucid 528.005 (or Saluki...) on my Acer netbook.
Could you try Lupu Plus and see if the same thing happens?
Hi playdayz, I have been investigating this further and have found a way to install Lucid 528.005 or LupuPlus to my USB stick. It is rather strange, but here is what works:

1) Format the stick using Gparted from a live CD of Puppy 4.3.1
2) Run the 4.3.1 universal installer and install 4.3.1
3) Reboot the computer with the Lupuplus CD, then plug in the usb stick, manually remove the 4.3.1 vmlinuz, initrd.gz and .sfs then run the LupuPlus universal installer and install Lupu to the stick.

I don't know why the Gparted/Universal Installer from 4.3.1 works when relying on the inbuilt Lupu Gparted/Universal installer doesn't work for me, but I am covering my research into this issue on another topic.

Anyway, if anyone is having problems creating a Lucid 528.005 or LupuPlus USB stick for the purposes of booting an Acer eMachines N450 netbook, give this a try.

greengeek

#1833 Post by greengeek »

l2ulinux wrote: Did you run the Grub4Dos bootloader config?
No, I didn't try that. Is it necessary to use Grub or Grub4Dos for a usb boot? I thought that was only for HDD install?

kevin bowers

LupuPlusLibre528.005-2

#1834 Post by kevin bowers »

Just did a frugal install of LupuPlusLibre528.005-2 on an MSi Wind U160. This is pretty much a generic netbook, Atom processor, 1GB RAM, molasses in January. For you southern-hemisphere types, that's a cold month here.

LupuPlusLibre works very well. It's snappy and rock-stable, and I'm impressed with the LibreOffice integration. SWriter takes about 3 1/2 seconds to load, amazing for this machine.

I did have some problems with wireless. So what else is new, right? SNS would not configure the RT2860 chip at all, Dougal's network wizard would but would not survive reboot. IMHO this is a timing issue, with my home network it almost always is. However, Frisbee seems to deal with the delays with no problems.

FOR ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH WIRELESS CONFIG IN PUPPY I RECOMMEND TRYING FRISBEE!

Everything else works OOTB. Once again, pats on the back to Playdayz and the other devs.

One thing: does anyone have a way to use TV tuner cards in Puppy? I have several machines with them (this one has a USB stick), and while GMPlayer has a "live TV" setting it has no way to control channels. There seem to be modules loaded for this one and a Hauppage PCI card in another computer, but no way I've found to actually use them. Amazingly enough, the little netbook will actually play live HDTV in Windows!

bigpup

Re: LupuPlusLibre528.005-2

#1835 Post by bigpup »

kevin bowers wrote: One thing: does anyone have a way to use TV tuner cards in Puppy? I have several machines with them (this one has a USB stick), and while GMPlayer has a "live TV" setting it has no way to control channels. There seem to be modules loaded for this one and a Hauppage PCI card in another computer, but no way I've found to actually use them. Amazingly enough, the little netbook will actually play live HDTV in Windows!
Maybe someplace in these posts will be answer.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0159956439 ... gsc.page=1
YaPI(any iso installer)