Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#1771 Post by bigpup »

Slacko 5.3 has this version of ntfs-3g 2011.1.15

Maybe just replace the one in Lucid528 with this one from Slacko.
Do not know if change would stay (after reboot) if using a frugal install.

The latest version you can get from here, but will have to compile it.
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 20:07, edited 2 times in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

outtaspam

WiFi Setup scan freezes

#1772 Post by outtaspam »

Hi Folks,

I tried LupuLibre 5.28 on my HP VL420 Pentium 4 PC w ~700 Mb RAM. To my surprise it ran acceptably despite the size of Libre Office - well done :-)

This old PC has an RTL 8185 WiFi card which has stubbornly defeated my attempts to connect to the internet. When I try to connect through WiFi, the notice box pops up stating "Scanning for Networks" and then nothing happens. The keyboard and the mouse are frozen and the machine does nothing for at least 15 minutes. I waited that long before manually powering off.

This freezing while scanning for WiFi is not limited to Lupu, it has happened with Slacko and even some 4x Puppy derivatives.

The WiFi connection does work in Windows XP, connecting with WPA security.

LupuLibre is so good that I want to switch over but can't bear to be without the internet connection.

Can you help me?

Thanks,
Gus (aka outtaspam)

rcrsn51

#1773 Post by rcrsn51 »

RTL 8185 WiFi card
Run the command "lspci -nn" and locate the [vendor : product] ID codes for this device.

Run "lsmod". What rtl module is being loaded?
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1774 Post by bigpup »

outtaspam,

Try the info you will find here:
go to menu->help->LupuNews Help

This is the same thing as a web page
http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html

There is also a link to more drivers for wifi devices.
A link to a guide on setting up wifi.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

Broadcom driver control fix

#1775 Post by rerwin »

playdayz, et al,
In response to zekebaby's report in the upup-precise thread that upup-precise would not switch to the open-source broadcom wifi driver, I fixed a bug in the script that triggers the switch. It is in the attached "patch-8c" package.

Although its name implies a delta from patch-8, it is also a delta from the lupuplus ISOs, so can be installed in them, too.

The problem is seen only if the user has never blacklisted a module with the BootManager. The fix takes care of that.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-8c-delta.pet
fixes broadcom issue
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

playdayz

#1776 Post by playdayz »

LupuLibre is so good that I want to switch over but can't bear to be without the internet connection.
Maybe FatSlacko http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77951 and maybe add lupufy-slacko

otropogo

#1777 Post by otropogo »

bigpup wrote:Slacko 5.3 has this version of ntfs-3g 2011.1.15

Maybe just replace the one in Lucid528 with this one from Slacko.
Do not know if change would stay (after reboot) if using a frugal install.

The latest version you can get from here, but will have to compile it.
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/
Is there a pet for the slacko version? I'm still running linux exclusively from a LiveCD/DVD/USBstick boot.

I'm afraid compiling is beyond my current skill level and not even on my horizon...
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

otropogo

lupupluslibre-002 ntfs and usb3.0 update

#1778 Post by otropogo »

After further testing with my Goflex 3TB USB 3.0 drive on a 2-port Sabrent USB3.0 expresscard adapter, I have some good news, and some not so good.

1. Lupupluslibre-002 supports USB3.0 without need for the USB3.0 pet required by lupu5.2.8.

2. unlike the pet driver, the lpl-2 usb driver seems to consistently support hot plugging (although only time will tell), at least of the hard drive (I didn't try hot-plugging the expresscard).

With a pfix=ram boot of lpl-2 the Goflex drive appeared on the desktop, and I was able to unmount it, move it to the other USB 3.0 port, and remount it again. Subsequently, I was also able to do this after booting with my existing 2fs file from lupu528, and then uninstalled the driver pet without loss of function. There may even be a slight improvement of function (see the bad news below)

3. Before running lpl-2 on the laptop, I ran a series of tests of ntfs and usb3/2 functionality under lupu 5.2.8 (patch 02) with the USB driver. I only did three runs of each test (unmounting and remounting the drive between tests), so the results are misleadingly uniform.

a) test on the first USB3.0 port, ntfs read only (x3)
b) test on the second USB3.0 port, ntfs read only (x3)
c) test on one of the USB2 ports, ntfs read only (x3)

4. After renaming the old lupu_528.sfs file and backing up the 2fs files, I booted lpl-2 first in pfix=ram mode, and subsequently with the main 2fs file. The latter was more difficult than expected, because somehow extra copies were created in numbered directories ofthe old lupu_528.sfs, and they had to be found and cleared out.

I thought all my ntfs problems were solved initially because the pfix=ram boot allowed me read/write access to the USB3.0 drive twice in a row. But this proved to be just another instance of intermittent working. However, I did have better averages with the 2fs file also (well, what could be worse than 0/9?), after uninstalling the USB3.0 pet, so maybe there was some interference.

So, the USB3.0 issue seems resolved, but the ntfs issue remains, at least where lupu and my hardware are concerned.

cthisbear

#1779 Post by cthisbear »

outtaspam:

See my 5th post on the previous page

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=1755

Use Frisbee >>
Change the >> Ap_scan Parameter from 1 to >> 2

Worked for me...and and easy thing to try.

Chris.

playdayz

#1780 Post by playdayz »

So, the USB3.0 issue seems resolved, but the ntfs issue remains, at least where lupu and my hardware are concerned.
That is some good news. I believe the xhci driver is already in Lupu plus.

I should have mentioned that I have compiled the latest ntfs-3g driver, 2012.1.15 think, but it gives an error on every write operation, copy, rename, move. etc. I have tried other ntfs-3g drivers and gotten the same problem.

However, i think this is the original ntfs-3g from Lucid--who knows--it might be worth a try--but I am not hopeful. No one should use this if their ntfs is already working to their satisfaction.

greengeek

Re: WiFi Setup scan freezes

#1781 Post by greengeek »

outtaspam wrote: When I try to connect through WiFi, the notice box pops up stating "Scanning for Networks" and then nothing happens. The keyboard and the mouse are frozen and the machine does nothing for at least 15 minutes. I waited that long before manually powering off.
Hi Gus, are you using the SNS (simple network setup) or the other one (Dougals network setup)? I have had very little success with SNS, particularly where wifi is concerned. I recommend trying the other network setup tool if you haven't already done so.

shinobar

ntfs error

#1782 Post by shinobar »

playdayz wrote:I should have mentioned that I have compiled the latest ntfs-3g driver, 2012.1.15 think, but it gives an error on every write operation, copy, rename, move. etc. I have tried other ntfs-3g drivers and gotten the same problem.
need /bin/mount fix.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02632
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

otropogo

Re: ntfs error

#1783 Post by otropogo »

shinobar wrote:
playdayz wrote:I should have mentioned that I have compiled the latest ntfs-3g driver, 2012.1.15 think, but it gives an error on every write operation, copy, rename, move. etc. I have tried other ntfs-3g drivers and gotten the same problem.
need /bin/mount fix.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02632
No shinobar, the ntfs read-only problem I've described is not a simple false error message issue. When the error message pops up, files cannot be written, renamed, nor deleted on the ntfs partition.

And, most importantly, as I keep pointing out, this has manifested only on USB-connected ntfs partitions, never once with any ntfs partition on an internal hard drive.

playdayz

#1784 Post by playdayz »

Thanks once again shinobar.

otropogo, shinobar meant that the problem I was seeing with newer versions of ntfs-3g required the /bin/mount fix he described. And sure enough, I have compiled the full version of the latest ntfs-3g 2012.1.15 (on Lupu Plus Libre) and it is working for me without the error message.

This is for troubleshooting purposes. If your NTFS is working this will not improve it. I am kind of doubtful about whether it will help your problem either otropogo, but there is only one way to find out. I am using it and no problems so far--but I didn't have any to begin with ;-) Since your problem is intermittent and only applies to usb ntfs????? Do i gather that you have an adapter from e-sata to usb 3.0--that sounds like potential problem--but the intermittent aspect is a mystery. Lupu Plus/Libre has the latest that rerwin has prepared for usb stuff.

You might want to reboot after installing it, just in case.

jim3630

#1785 Post by jim3630 »

otropogo wrote: No shinobar, the ntfs read-only problem I've described is not a simple false error message issue. When the error message pops up, files cannot be written, renamed, nor deleted on the ntfs partition.

And, most importantly, as I keep pointing out, this has manifested only on USB-connected ntfs partitions, never once with any ntfs partition on an internal hard drive.
otropogo take a breath more than just your problems here.

otropogo

#1786 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:Thanks once again shinobar.

otropogo, shinobar meant that the problem I was seeing with newer versions of ntfs-3g required the /bin/mount fix he described. And sure enough, I have compiled the full version of the latest ntfs-3g 2012.1.15 (on Lupu Plus Libre) and it is working for me without the error message.
Thanks for the clarification, and my apologies to shinobar. The reference on Barry's blog seemed to me to refer to the older ntfs-3g driver I already had installed
[...
Since your problem is intermittent and only applies to usb ntfs?????

Correct.
Do i gather that you have an adapter from e-sata to usb 3.0
Incorrect. The USB3.0 adapter is from pci-express bus to USB3.0
--that sounds like potential problem--but the intermittent aspect is a mystery. Lupu Plus/Libre has the latest that rerwin has prepared for usb stuff.
Never a problem in Centos once the 2011 ntfs-3g drive package is installed, nor has it been a problem in Slacko, except for hot-plugging. So I don't think it was a hardware issue.

So far lpl-2's native usb driver seems to work fine with my USB3.0 adapter. will certainly report any problems that arise. I only have the use of that laptop intermittently, so my testing has been limited. But so far, no issues.

You might want to reboot after installing it, just in case.
my latest ntfs-3g on USB tests (only on my desktop machine, and only on USB2.0 - will test USB3.0 later)

1. attached Goflex 3TB USB3.0 drive to USB2.0 port - icon appears on desktop

2. mounted the ntfs partition with Pmount - ntfs read-only error popup. Writing, renaming, deleting of files is disabled. Repeated three times with same result each time

3. backed up my 2fs file

4. uninstalled the ntfs-3g_2010.3.6 pet with packet manager

5. installed your new ntfs-3g pet

6. mounted the ntfs partition - no error message. Repeated three times with same result. Successfully copied, renamed, and deleted files on the ntfs partition without error messages or apparent issues. (no reboot required)

Will test on USB3.0 on the laptop later today. So far, the new driver seems to have solved my ntfs-on-usb problem. Thank you!

bigpup

#1787 Post by bigpup »

playdayz,

Thanks for the newest version pet of ntfs-3g.
By the change log for ntfs-3g, there have been a lot of changes and updates, from the version that shipped with Lucid528. It may fix issues that no one ever sees. Reading the log, it had fixes for stuff I would never see happening.
Anything that may make Puppy work better with NTFS is a good thing.

You would think at some point, a program would be 100%, but seems it is always trying to reach that 100%.

You and others are getting very close with Lucid/Lupu Puppy :lol: :wink:
Trouble is the target keeps changing.

The new ntfs-3g seems to be working OK for me, but I was not having problems. Maybe? :wink:
YaPI(any iso installer)

otropogo

#1788 Post by otropogo »

jim3630 wrote:
otropogo wrote: No shinobar, the ntfs read-only problem I've described is not a simple false error message issue. When the error message pops up, files cannot be written, renamed, nor deleted on the ntfs partition.

otropogo take a breath more than just your problems here.
I don't know what makes the ntfs-3g just "my" problem. It's a potential problem for any user, and about as serious a problem as I can think of. But thanks for reminding me that it's not the only problem with lupu.

In fact, I've had a continuing problem with audio/video playback being out of sync with the default av player for a long time. I used the 002 and the 003 update patch in hopes of fixing it (I don't remember it being an issue in earlier versions of Puppy, certainly not in 4.xxx), but nothing has worked. It persists in lupupluslibre-02 as well.

The audio gets progressively out of sync the longer the clip runs. stopping the playback and restarting seems to bring it back together for a while, but it's a most annoying defect, both esthetically and when trying to follow instructions on a how-to video.

My experience is limited to mp4 and flv files.

I'm running lupupluslibre on an Intel D865GLC motherboard with a 3GHz P4 cpu, 2GB of 233Mhz SD RAM, a Radeon XL1550 display adapter and an Intel ICH5 audio chip...

NB: The videos in question were all downloaded with either Firefox or Seamonkey, and none of them ran out of sync when being viewed online with either of those browsers, only when being viewed offline.

I don't think this problem is ultimately anywhere near as important as the ntfs issue - at least for anyone who uses lupu for serious work, but can imagine that there are probably a lot more lupu users who share my interest in finding a fix for it.

mikeslr

LupuPlus running beautifully

#1789 Post by mikeslr »

Hi playdaz,

Just to report that LupuPlus is running beautifully on my main box. Starting with a clean, fresh SaveFile eliminated the problems. Sometimes shortcuts take you the long way.

I hope you continue to support this version of Lupu. Certainly, LupuLibre is a great idea, and a great convenience. But for those of us who explore multiple Puppies, running LibreOffice via an SFS has its advantages, not the least of which is the ability to unload it if necessary. That advantage can also become crucial for those running Lupu from a USB Key where the specs of the host computer may vary.
That circumstance is also one of the reasons I do not favor pae builds. Until now, Three-headed-dog has been, on my main box, my work-horse: the Puplet first on my Grub4Dos menu and the default for doing "actual work." Once I've customized a Puplet on my main box, it's easy to copy it over to other computers: boot into something else, copy it to usb key, copy from usb key. I was greatly disappointed after doing that to discover my Thinkpad 42 (my second-most-often-used-computer)* would not support pae-enabled Three-headed-dog.

mikesLr

* My main box is supposed to be able to boot from a USB, but somehow I screwed that up. My Thinkpad has no problems doing so and so is my test bed for Puppies on a USB. That, and the fact that the Thinkpad most often is found in "the family room."

bigpup

#1790 Post by bigpup »

otropogo,
NB: The videos in question were all downloaded with either Firefox or Seamonkey, and none of them ran out of sync when being viewed online with either of those browsers, only when being viewed offline.
Where are these videos download too?
Have you tried all the available media players?
Buffer and cache settings, in media players, can have an effect.
YaPI(any iso installer)