Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1741 Post by playdayz »

LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupup ... .005-2.iso
4f581325d497077be811f88800aeff3a

This has the adjustment to java that was omitted in the earlier version. Nothing else has changed--if you have the earlier version you can achieve the same effect by installing shinobar's pet http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 442#623442

If you are using Lupu Libre or 3HD Libre you can add java with shinobar's sfs or with the pet I made from it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 455#623455
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 08&t=61287
The java pet is also in the Lupu Repo of PPM. Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

otropogo

continuing ntfs reliability problems on USB port

#1742 Post by otropogo »

Have just booted my Toshiba laptop with Lupu 5.2.8 (02 patch) and the USB3.0 driver pet.

As reported previously. The ntfs USB external drive mounted read-only on the first several attempts at access (as always, the internal ntfs drives mounted normally without such issues).

However, when I experimented by unmounting the external drive and moving it to the second port, it mounted read-write, and I was able to copy a 2.2GB iso file to it without evidence of problems.

On reboot, I was unable to repeat this feat. I was also unable to add a second USB3.0 device (card reader with FAT SD card). Pmount failed to see it. And after only a few remounts, the external drive on the USB3.0 port would no longer appear in pmount at all.

After several failed attempts to remount the drive on the USB3.0 port, I moved it to the USB2.0 port, where it mounted read-write on the first try (which is NOT always the case).

I also had a very strange experience with Pmount and the Toshiba's internal SD/MMC/XD reader.

When I inserted a 4GB HCSD card into this slot, lupu mounted it automatically and displayed an icon "mmcblk1p1"on the desktop for it. I had no trouble writing to it either . However, repeated attempts to show it in pmount failed.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

majorfoo

#1743 Post by majorfoo »

Full install of lupu-libre-528-005-2 to ext4 partition.

Everything I have tried works OTB.

One thought - add entry in /usr/local/bin for
defaultdatabase and defaultformula
This would be helpful to those who want to add these to wbar or place entry on desktop.

I really like libreoffice suite. On remaster I have deleted all reference to abiword and gnumeric.

playdayz

#1744 Post by playdayz »

Full install of lupu-libre-528-005-2 to ext4 partition.

Everything I have tried works OTB.

One thought - add entry in /usr/local/bin for
defaultdatabase and defaultformula
If you use Base you will probably want java--links in my message above.

That pretty much showed that it was a driver problem, So then I tried checking the version of asound in 3 distros where my soundcard works, results here:

Lupu 528 -v5 sound does not work:
Code:
sh-4.1# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
vtpup, Is it a new computer--if so you could be right. These are kernel mode drivers specific to each kernel---as it sounds like you know. What you tried to do seems pretty clever, but that might have been for a different Ubuntu kernel--anyway it is a can of worms I don't want to open. I would suggest first that you try Three-Headed Dog, which has a different kernel and therefore a different set of drivers. A second thing to try might be Lupu Plus which has some tweaks to the infrastructure that include some to alsa by rerwin so that might make a difference.
3HD http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736
Lupu + http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 054#622054
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#1745 Post by majorfoo »

Playdayz

please confirm that my list of luci/lupu/sulu iso's is correct.

sulu-001 from page 5

lupu528-005 from page 1
lupulibre528-005-2 from page 1

lupuplus-528-005-1 from page 112
lupupluslibre-528-005-2 from paage 117

luci-005-005 from 3HD page 1
lucilibre-001-005 from 3HD page 1

I have d/l all of the above and am currently working through each one.

Thanks.

Minnesota

Thank YOU

#1746 Post by Minnesota »

playdayz:
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupup ... .005-2.iso

".....I must say that I did not appreciate trying something innovative and having someone carry on like the whole thing was screwed just because it did not work like he thought it should. To reiterate, Libre Office worked just fine with java and all of the browsers worked just fine with java and I still have never had single request for any java program to work with Lucid. ...."

Please IGNORE the NAY Sayers and folks that demand things.. seem to be a bit of an epidemic of that sort of thing on all of the Puppy blogs lately. Folks do not realize the time and VOLUNTEER effort put into PUPPY. FOLKS please be respectful. PLEASE.

I just downloaded and tried the wizard... NOW WORKS.. Thank you. I will experiment more with this. Glad to see the base working. Thanks for all your time and effort.

playdayz

#1747 Post by playdayz »

majorfoo wrote:Playdayz

please confirm that my list of luci/lupu/sulu iso's is correct.

sulu-001 from page 5

lupu528-005 from page 1
lupulibre528-005-2 from page 1

lupuplus-528-005-1 from page 112
lupupluslibre-528-005-2 from paage 117

luci-005-005 from 3HD page 1
lucilibre-001-005 from 3HD page 1

I have d/l all of the above and am currently working through each one.

Thanks.
Yes. Correct, LupuPlus and Lupu+Libre are both listed on 112 now and linked from page 1. Sulu was a one-off. I don't think it will be pursued but there is one report of it solving a problem for someone.
folks that demand things
Thanks Minnesota. I was just irritated. I'm over it. It goes with the territory. That's good news on Base.

vtpup

#1748 Post by vtpup »

playdayz wrote: vtpup, Is it a new computer--if so you could be right. These are kernel mode drivers specific to each kernel---as it sounds like you know. What you tried to do seems pretty clever, but that might have been for a different Ubuntu kernel--anyway it is a can of worms I don't want to open. I would suggest first that you try Three-Headed Dog, which has a different kernel and therefore a different set of drivers. A second thing to try might be Lupu Plus which has some tweaks to the infrastructure that include some to alsa by rerwin so that might make a difference.
Yes playdayz, it is brand new. I'll try three headed dog, then. Downloading now.

I was mainly interested in Lupu because glxgears ran about ten times faster in it than in other distros I'd tried (after xorg-high was added), and I really liked the "user experience." It also felt very stable, and is obviously well supported.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

playdayz

#1749 Post by playdayz »

I was mainly interested in Lupu because glxgears ran about ten times faster in it than in other distros I'd tried (after xorg-high was added), and I really liked the "user experience."
3HD is just like Lucid, except I have no clue why glxgears ran faster.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enable Java in Chrome if java is installed of course
Click on the wrench icon, then select Options.
Select Under the Hood and then Privacy Content Settings.
The Content Settings panel will appear.
In the Plug-ins section, select the Disable individual plug-ins link to check whether Java is enabled
Click on the Allow box (if the Disable link appears, Java is already enabled)

test applet http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

vtpup

#1750 Post by vtpup »

playdayz wrote:
I was mainly interested in Lupu because glxgears ran about ten times faster in it than in other distros I'd tried (after xorg-high was added), and I really liked the "user experience."
3HD is just like Lucid, except I have no clue why glxgears ran faster.
playdayz Sound worked in 3HD, but wireless wasn't functioning because it has the same older version of ath9k that Lupu 528 does. I could upgrade ath9k (as I did for Lupu 528) but I first wanted to try glxgears in it because I couldn't quite understand why I was getting such a range of speeds in different late kernel puppies. I'm adding the below notes just as a point of information.

I ran glxgears in Lupu 528, Racy, Sulu, and Upup Precise, all of which I have on this computer as frugal installs.

3HD and lupu and Sulu all ran it at about 2000 frames in 5 sec, while Racy and Upup were running only 300, Which seems like a big performance difference.

But I did notice that on tha last 2 OS the terminal had a note that the frame figure was a result of being synced to the monitor refresh rate (which was 60 hz), so that would indeed result in 300 frames in 5 sec. The glxgears programs for Lupu Sulu and 3HD did not note anything about the monitor refresh rate. Maybe they are earlier versions of glxgears.

So I think the difference is due more to a change in the way glxgears now works vs how it used to, than being indicative of graphics speed differences for these OS's..

Then out of curiosity I tried a different more practical test, which was to do a bunch of operations in Google Sketchup under Wine 1.5.2 in all of them.

Most of these late kernel OS's were a little jerky in panning the drawing, and noticeably slow in updating pen position, except for Racy which was very fast and smooth in both of these operations. I use Sketchup all the time, so that is really important to me, and is enough to determine an OS for this computer.

I do want to add however, that no one else should draw any more general conclusions from this. It only means that this specific computer, with these specific chips, using the xorg drivers offered under each OS, is faster in one specific program run in Wine, under Racy.

I would expect different results with different computers drivers chips and programs.

Anyway, I thought the glxgears anomaly would be of interest.

playdayz

#1751 Post by playdayz »

I ran glxgears in Lupu 528, Racy, Sulu, and Upup Precise, all of which I have on this computer as frugal installs.
What kind of video do you have. if you want maximum video the proprietary drivers are the way to go. Lupu has them available for nvidia and ati, as does 3HD. Slacko has them because 3HD uses the video drivers from Slacko 5.3.1. I don't know about the others. It is often possible to compile them yourself--but it can be a hassle sometimes. Sometimes people post them on the forum.

On my 3850 ati the ati catalyst driver shows about twice as fast as the open source xorg_high driver.

vtpup

#1752 Post by vtpup »

Yes playdayz I've compiled Nvidia proprietary drivers before on my old desktop computer, and know the difference that makes.

On this current new Acer laptop (see signature below for type), the chips are Intel:

Code: Select all

VGA compatible controller		: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller 
I don't know if there are any proprietary drivers. I used Xorg-High driver in Lupu 528.

Racy came already configured with a driver (possibly part of the 3.x kernel) I'm not sure why that particular OS is so much better with Google Sketchup graphics on this machine. Maybe Barry compiled something special re. drivers into that one. Anyway, the difference is really noticeable.

mikeslr

Workaround for LibreOffice-3.5.1-en_us-2.sfs with LupuPlus

#1753 Post by mikeslr »

Deleted: Issues arose from starting with SaveFile from another Lupu/Lucid.
Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 18:36, edited 3 times in total.

bigpup

#1754 Post by bigpup »

otropogo,

What is the model of your Toshiba laptop?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

otropogo

#1755 Post by otropogo »

bigpup wrote:otropogo,

Satellite A500 -02F

otropogo

lupupluslibre-02 and aps installed in lupu.2fs

#1756 Post by otropogo »

Have just burned lupupluslibre-02 to disk, and am trying to reconfigure my system. I took the precaution of renaming my 528.sfs file on the hard drive and of booting pfix=ram to get a basic config.

Monitor setup went very poorly. After adjusting it with great difficulty (xorg wants to give me a strange 2xxxby7xxx display), I saved a readable configuration to 2fs, then booted with it, only to have to do it all again with xorgwizard. After backing up my existing lupu 2fs file, and saving the new 528.sfs to the hard drive, I rebooted with the disk and my main lupu.2fs file.

The monitor display worked fine then (probably because I have the driver for my Radeon-ATI card installed), and sso did everything else I've tried so far (not much - gimp 2.6, ufraw, rawstudio, gxine for videos, xfprot2.4, Seamonkey 2.9, and Firefox - which immediately went online to upgrade to v. 12 - I keep it only for youtubedownloader, which won't mesh with Seamonkey).

Now I'm wondering about possible conflicts or redundancies between what I have installed via the 2fs file and what is already bundled in the 528.sfs. Can anyone explain how that sorts itself out? For example, I'd like to have the option of saving my 2fs file without having to reboot twice, but I don't see an icon on my display for that...

For example, what would happen if I used pet manager to uninstall the following?

Seamonkey-2.2-lucid525 (2x!- have 2.9 running now)
gimp_full 2.6.11-i486.squeeze
Firefox-6.0-lucid525 (have v12 running now)
Instant_Update-Lucid528-002
Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid
gparted-0.6.2-lucid52
pburn-3.4.3
ntfs-3g_2010.3.6
pburn-3.5.0 (have 3.5.1 installed now)

Are some of these just ghosts left by packet manager, or are they needlessly taking up space in my 2fs file?

Are any blocking more recent versions provided natively by lupupluslibre?

Would removing the obviously superseded ones (the two browsers, notably) also remove or cripple the current installed versions?

bigpup

#1757 Post by bigpup »

otropogo wrote:
bigpup wrote:otropogo,

Satellite A500 -02F
At Toshiba support I could not find a listing for A500-02F
They have A500-ST5601 thru ST5608 and a bunch of other ST numbers.
However all A500-models seem to have same basic specs.
By Toshiba's spec sheet on this computer you have:
4 USB V2.0 ports
3 V2.0
1 v2.0 eSATA/USB combo port with USB sleep and charge.

So, I assume you are using a USB v3.0 add on hub and I hope it is self powering.
I also assume this USB v3.0 add on hub is designed to hook to USB V2.0 and give USB V3.0 access.

First I would make sure you are not connecting to this USB combo port.
For testing I would only have one USB drive hooked up.

This works sometimes does not work sometimes is hard to debug.

One thought is power output from USB port could cause issues with non self powered devices.
Being a laptop, not sure how power is feed to ports and how much a device needs.

I have sometimes seen problems with Pmount not working so good. No clue why. I have had to do a complete power off reboot to fix. Seems to me Pmount does not adjust to changes very well. What it sees on initial boot is what it wants to see all the time.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jim3630

#1758 Post by jim3630 »

LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2 installed pfix=ram to ext4 hdd on dual p6100 hp laptop.
broadcom wifi auto-detected by sns on wan0 connection made without issue.

display resized with first run xorgwizard without issue. Xorg_High pet installed with glxgears smooth
even with expanded window. flash get insalled lattest without issue.
ff installed without issue. sound vidio movies all work well.

continue to enjoy 528's ability to show full screen display on the laptop
and ext connected monitor simultaneously.
528 series is the only puppy have tried can do it.

Playdayz et al. thanks for all the hard work again!

playdayz

#1759 Post by playdayz »

Seamonkey-2.2-lucid525 (2x!- have 2.9 running now)
gimp_full 2.6.11-i486.squeeze
Firefox-6.0-lucid525 (have v12 running now)
Instant_Update-Lucid528-002
Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid
gparted-0.6.2-lucid52
pburn-3.4.3
ntfs-3g_2010.3.6
pburn-3.5.0 (have 3.5.1 installed now)

Are some of these just ghosts left by packet manager, or are they needlessly taking up space in my 2fs file?
Backup your save file before doing anything.

If you uninstall SM 2.2 then 2.9 will quit working.
if things are working OK I would leave them alone. What happens as with SM is that the newer one that you install as a pet overwrites files from the older one, so you are not losing any space. But if you uninstall the older one it will take the newer files with it. The same would happen with Firefox.

The latest Pburn 3.5.2 is in the new sfs so you probably can uninstall Pburn 3.5.1. Actually, if you start Pburn and 3.5.1 starts then you will need to uninstall that to get 3.5.2. The Instant Update is now in the sfs also. You still need Xorg_High, that is not in the sfs. Gimp is also not in the sfs. If you uninstall ntfs-3g you would get the one in the sfs--not sure if it is the same--leave it alone if it is working. Same with gparted.

Did I mention you should backup the save file before doing anything! Menu -> Utility -> PupSave Hot Backup will do it.

I *think* we have removed any ghosts from the remaster.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefox 3.6.28!

Firefox keeps this available and updated to some extent--it has a 2012 copyright. I thought it might be fun.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firef ... -Lucid.pet

v.3.6.28, released March 13th, 2012 https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/3 ... easenotes/

It's smaller but smaller is not necessarily faster ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just added this to the first page of this thread

Which one do I use? If you are new to Lupu then Lupu Plus or Lupu Plus Libre will probably give you the best odds of everything working out of the box.

So why keep original Lupu? Because it's very frustrating to update and find that something that has been working stops working. So previous users for whom Lupu has been working well can update to Lupu 005 and nothing will change because basically only the programs have been updated--nothing under the hood. But for newbies...like it says....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seamonkey 2.9

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

cthisbear

#1760 Post by cthisbear »

lupupluslibre-01

" cthisbear wrote:
Three-Headed Dog Version 5.2.8.005

I had a quick boot on the Dell Studio XPS.

No wireless....Broadcom b43.
Nothing shows at all.""

"""""

rerwin

" Chris,
Please reboot and you should see wireless as detected by b43

On the initial boot, the proprietary driver, wl, is used.

If it generates an error message in the log,
the subsequent boot should try b43.

This assumes playdayz included my latest Broadcom components
as in the other 005s.
I have not checked on what he included in 3HD.

Richard"

rerwin ...Sadly no show with a reboot and save.

:::::::::

So I tried version 2.
lupupluslibre-02

Screen 1280 x 720
Sound works.

Wireless >> b43 listed.
Sees the networks after running Network Wizard.

Configure with the Network wizard.
Then scan for wireless. ... Hidden network shows
Set SID and Password
Save >> Use >> but it errors.

I rebooted with a small save file.

Returns the same error..........

Boot another puppy...delete save file

Reboot fresh > lupupluslibre-02

Go to >> menu >> Internet

>> Install Frisbee

Run Frisbee....sees network but errors after
adding my profile and password.

I hit >> Connect

Frisbee starts...

I hit >> Wireless Diagnostics

Select Ap_scan

Change the >> Ap_scan Parameter

from 1 to >> 2
for a better connection to a hidden network

Exit Frisbee

Hit Connect >> Frisbee starts...>> Wireless Network refresh

A few moments later...networks reappear

I fill in my details...and Frisbee connects.

::::::::

And Libre Office is fast.
I only had a quick test in version 1 and 2.

Thanks all...Chris.