Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
shinobar

PPM improvement

#1621 Post by shinobar »

rerwin wrote:I am nervous about adding that removal before Barry endorses that design change.
Good.
Meanwhile i have uploaded petget-20120418.pet as a candidate for pupplet builders and whom want to try.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73829
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

playdayz

#1622 Post by playdayz »

Opinions Wanted Please

I cannot decide whether to put a browser (Firefox) into the next Lupu Plus.

Yes, in keeping with its Plus designation, to give it distinction from Lupu regular, because some people have always wanted an included browser, and the browser would run from ram and not take up pupsave

No, because the browsers update so frequently now that it would be out of date in a week and the update would take up pupsave and not run from ram anyway, and because Browser Choice has been a trademark of Lucid and some people would want a different browser no matter which one is included.

Thanks for opinions.

Eyes-Only

#1623 Post by Eyes-Only »

I vote "no" myself. A basic browser like it's always been - Midori ( or it could even be changed to Dillo 3 now as advanced as that's become Playdayz? ) for reading the base help files/start-up Puppy description/help, and leaving the programme in for browser selection.

In otherwords: Keep Lucid "traditional". ;)

Then and again, what do I know?

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Sylvander

#1624 Post by Sylvander »

1. Although I would naturally tend to say YES...
Include Firefox...

2. Having read the reasons you gave for saying NO...
I finally go with NO.
But...

3. Is it possible to automatically have it load an SFS file for Firefox?
And have an auto-system for replacing that SFS file with one for the latest Firefox version?

aarf

#1625 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote:Opinions Wanted Please

Yes, in keeping with its Plus designation, to give it distinction from Lupu regular, because some people have always wanted an included browser, and the browser would run from ram and not take up pupsave

No, because the browsers update so frequently now that it would be out of date in a week and the update would take up pupsave and not run from ram anyway, and because Browser Choice has been a trademark of Lucid and some people would want a different browser no matter which one is included.

Thanks for opinions.
whatever. i havent downloaded plus and dont intent to ( i think libre office sucks and cant find a need to use it :lol: ). i havent ever installed a browser with quickpet. i use my current across-puppy portable opera. sometimes but rarely i use midori in saluki when a page wont render properly in opera or if i click a local html file, it will open in midori as it is the default html browser. but even jemimah doesnt recommend midori to be the full time browser to use. i never use firefox but use seamonkey to do banking in pristine quirky. i dont use seamonkey for anything else.
Last edited by aarf on Thu 19 Apr 2012, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1626 Post by bigpup »

I say no.
Browser Choice has been a trademark of Lucid.
It only takes a few minutes, to download a browser of your choosing, and it will be the one you want to use.
Dillo provides the basic needs to start using Lucid Puppy.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

vtpup

#1627 Post by vtpup »

I use Seamonkey across many computers and in many frugal installations on each one -- they hit on a link to .mozilla in /mnt/home, so all share settings, mail etc.

I chose Seamonkey because of the inclusion directly in in the browser of the capability to edit web pages WYSIWYG on the fly using file/edit page. Also I don't have to load a separate email client. Everything just works after I start up -- just replacing the .mozilla folder with the link to /mnt home.

If Firefox was the default, it would attempt to convert my mail files and bookmarks, settings etc. possibly royally screwing up every other system -- I believe I had that experience a couple years ago.

Very glad to be able to choose a browser on startup, and that it is generally the current version as well. Always was a pain in the old Puppies to have to upgrade Seamonkey after an installation. A lot easier to just download the latest version to start with.

Likewise I assume others are also doing similar things with other browsers in multiple frugal installs, so a single browser, like the old standard Seamonkey attached to puppy might cause pain there as well.

I think browsers should always be downloaded fresh -- as an SFS preferably in the latest version available,
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

prehistoric

#1628 Post by prehistoric »

vtpup wrote:...If Firefox was the default, it would attempt to convert my mail files and bookmarks, settings etc. possibly royally screwing up every other system -- I believe I had that experience a couple years ago...
I think browsers should always be downloaded fresh -- as an SFS preferably in the latest version available,
I've had that experience too. I'm less than thrilled with Firefox now because of that and problems keeping local control of what the browser is doing in updates. I don't like the idea of putting all my critical information "in the cloud". I'm just about an extinct species, one that likes having some idea of what my computer is doing, and being able to hold data in my hand. The recent changes in Flash player are a cautionary example of the alternative.

I remain dissatisfied with browsers, which are approaching the size and instability of entire operating systems. I would like to use computers for something besides updating software and the display of advertising.

humblesoul

#1629 Post by humblesoul »

^ what they said. Choice is good, everyone has their own preference, the initial browser choice prompts are good and quickpet works well too. The lightest, most functional browser stock with user choice gets my vote too. Never liked dillo, but that's just my own personal opinion from limited experience.

playdayz

#1630 Post by playdayz »

whatever. i havent downloaded plus and dont intent to ( i think libre office sucks and cant find a need to use it
There will be a version of Plus that doesn't have Libre Office built-in.

humblesoul

#1631 Post by humblesoul »

playdaze has already mentioned ad block plus for chrome in this thread: http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

Just stumbled across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP79Iwm0xbA

Looks interesting, though not tried it yet.

Atle

Install to USB

#1632 Post by Atle »

Is there any issue with 5.2.8.004 and installation to USB?

Any trick or workaround that I should know about to get the USB bootable? Its a Kingston datatraveler 8 gig and I believe that that one is bootable.

I try the normal way to install and the USB way to install from install menu.

Non of them wants to boot on to new comuters that has USB boot support in the machines.

As the USB boot fails to copy files(never ends), I guess it might be some issue to fix this.

I then tried to just transfer the files onto the USB that had the ldlinux.sys file there from the USB installation process...

I am in a "live aid" situation, trying to convince some Windows users to go straight:-)

I hope for some good hints here as I remember there is or was a issue with USB installations and I am at their place and can not research this all night.

Atle

vtpup

#1633 Post by vtpup »

Notes on Sulu .001 on comp. in sig below --

missing battery monitor
Drivers tab in QuickPet has no entries. The others do.

This computer uses Intel graphics chips. To get GLX I downloaded Xorg-high-1.1 Lucid pet using the puppy package manager.

glxgears now runs.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

bigpup

#1634 Post by bigpup »

Atle wrote:I try the normal way to install and the USB way to install from install menu.
Have you used "Bootflash install Puppy to USB"?
Have you changed the computer bios to boot from USB as the first choice or selected boot from USB from computer boot option menu?
What format is USB flash drive?
Some computers will only boot from USB flash drives that are formatted Fat16 or Fat32.
What files are on the flash drive?
Any error messages you see?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Atle

#1635 Post by Atle »

Hi bigpup....

The issue revolved it self as I simply did not have time to get all these answers. I tried them all as flash boot and normal install to usb flash. There was no errors apart from USB boot flash not being able to transfer the files and finish the process.

I somehow managed to get the Windows to work on the EEEpc anyhow as the keyboard was failing on windows log on.

The happy ending was one Puppy installation with the JoomlaOnPuppy for a young girl that is interested in computers and webdesign. I am writing from this installation now.

So since i tanked up a old abandoned PC with puppy she now has two machines to play with and I felt good as i did not need to mess with Win7 and dualboot that is sort of risky to just do on someones machine.

But thanks again Bigpup as I was just a bit embarrassed not being able to boot the EEE or anything after doing a live lesson in how to install and boot from USB and FAILING.... But now its all sunshine and all won :D

cthisbear

#1636 Post by cthisbear »

You have Pwireless2 inbuilt as a Pet???

Why not have a Pet or 2 of browsers.

Seamonkey, Iron, Opera.

Choice for some without an extra download.

Didn't someone also post a Flash that spoofs Youtube etc
into thinking that your version is up to date.

Add that as well.

And Firefox has pigged out long ago.

Chris.

jim3630

#1637 Post by jim3630 »

some parts of the world connection speeds are very slow and it's pay per min of connection and it's those people who will benefit from a decent browser built in.

would the cost of a decent browser put it over 1 live cd size?

kevin bowers

#1638 Post by kevin bowers »

In agreement with most of the other responses, the current system ain't broke, why fix it?

James C

#1639 Post by James C »

I guess that maintaining the status quo would prevent the inevitable browser wars.

shinobar

Browser Choice

#1640 Post by shinobar »

playdayz wrote:I cannot decide whether to put a browser (Firefox) into the next Lupu Plus.
bigpup wrote:Browser Choice has been a trademark of Lucid.
We Japanse team is now planning lupu-528JP, the Japanese edition.
Our discussion in the Japanese forum for your information:
The lupu-528JP will be shiped with Seamonkey-2.8-ja because the Dilo nor the Midori are not usable for Japanese. We cannot ship any OS with no browser.
But the seamonkey will not be in the main sfs. It will be shipped in the iso as an additional SFS so that the user easily load it with the sfs_load. Of course it allows to choose your favorite browser replacing the SFS.

Also we are trying to load the additional sfs automatically at the first boot. As you know, the LazY Puppy does the similar way.
Our (Japanese) problem is we do not yet have Japanese repository providing the localized browsers and applications.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]