Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#1606 Post by James C »

Just a quick report that I manually upgraded a frugal install from 528.004 to 528.005 with no problems .Everything previously installed and modified was persistent.

vtpup

#1607 Post by vtpup »

Sulu installed frugal on ext2 partition.
New Acer Aspire 5348-2365
Dual boot Win7

Wirelesss works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, or Wary. Does on Racy 5.3)

Alsa sound works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, does on Wary and Racy)

Downloaded Seamonkey 2.8, Libre Office, Acrobat 9.3, Gimp 2.6.

Problems found so far:

Only screen dimming Fn keys not working (works on Racy 5.3, though keys reversed)

Looks really good so far!
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

playdayz

#1608 Post by playdayz »

Dual boot Win7

Wirelesss works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, or Wary. Does on Racy 5.3)

Thanks vtpup. That's great news. It looks like there might be a place for Sulu. Do you have a new computer by any chance, say, in the last year?
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 16:29, edited 2 times in total.

prehistoric

#1609 Post by prehistoric »

Just checked the lucid puppy news page, and it still refers to 5.2.8.004. Should we consider 005 released?

I would recommend that people upgrading start with a new installation and move personal files, to avoid confusion in PPM. You can get everything up to date, but it isn't going to happen automagically. I just installed the latest lupu version (15) of Iron on this machine. A previous installation insisted that 13 was latest. I'm still not sure why reconfiguring PPM caused it to download the package list for UbuntuMultiverse and UbuntuUniverse, which were not checked as repositories I wanted.

humblesoul

#1610 Post by humblesoul »

I've never trusted ppm suggestions and always searched the net for latest whatever. Not sure why. Just do.

playdayz

#1611 Post by playdayz »

A previous installation insisted that 13

It is necessary to "Update Lupu PPM" in order to see the latest. It does not happen automatically, but each release will have what is the latest *at that time* It is easy to update: Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM.

There is an Iron 18 now--it skipped 16 and 17 because they did not work correctly in my testing. http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Iron-18-Lucid.pet
Just checked the lucid puppy news page, and it still refers to 5.2.8.004. Should we consider 005 released?
Yes. I am just lazy. LupuNews is updated now.
I'm confused.
.+1
Great to have so many choices of 528-05 but why all mixed up in the same thread?
Yes. I understand. Here's the Grand Plan. In the first message of this thread Lupu/Libre and Lupu Plus/Libre will be listed and explained. Three-Headed Dog will continue to have its own thread. I don't know yet what to do about Sulu--it would have its own thread if it is viable.

It would be done by now but after Lupu Plus was released we made the breakthrough about getting the Help to work so that requires a new Lupu Plus which is coming very soon. And then I got sidetracked making Sulu.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

humblesoul

#1612 Post by humblesoul »

I'm no code monkey and therefore know not of what I ask, but could ppm connect to the net upon activation to update itself? It connects to download...

mavrothal

#1613 Post by mavrothal »

humblesoul wrote:I'm no code monkey and therefore know not of what I ask, but could ppm connect to the net upon activation to update itself? It connects to download...
If you add the following at the top of /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh, immediately after the comments, will do the trick

Code: Select all

THISPID=$!
REPODATE=`find /root/.packages/ -ctime -7 | grep official`
if [ "$REPODATE" = "" ] ;then
 Xdialog  --buttons-style text --title "$(gettext 'Repo Update')" --ok-label "$(gettext 'Update')" --cancel-label "$(gettext 'Not now')"  --yesno "$(gettext 'Your repositories are more than one week old. \nDo you want to update them before you go on?')" 0 0
 case $? in 
 0) rxvt -bg yellow -title 'download databases' -e /usr/local/petget/0setup
   kill $THISPID
   exec /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh
   ;;
 *) echo "$(gettext 'Going on with old repos')" ;;
 esac
fi
Of course some monkeying is needed for that :P
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Jasper

#1614 Post by Jasper »

Hi mavrothal,

I tried your solution in your post immediately above in Slacko 5.3.1 and it did not seem to work.

Hopefully it is OK that I may I ask here if it might reasonably be expected to work in any other Puppies?

My regards

playdayz

#1615 Post by playdayz »

If you add the following at the top of /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh, immediately after the comments, will do the trick
Oh, this will work only if your (mavrothal) changes have been installed???

mavrothal

#1616 Post by mavrothal »

Jasper wrote:Hi mavrothal,

I tried your solution in your post immediately above in Slacko 5.3.1 and it did not seem to work.

Hopefully it is OK that I may I ask here if it might reasonably be expected to work in any other Puppies?

My regards
In what sense?
If anyone of the official repos has been changed/updated in the last week will not offer to update any of them.
If you want to update every time change the line

REPODATE=`find /root/.packages/ -ctime -7 | grep official`
to

REPODATE= 
I just do not think is necessary to do it every time.

Oh, this will work only if your (mavrothal) changes have been installed???
No. This is independent from the rest. However, I would recommend to update at least 0setup because the Luci version is the older all-or-nothing version of the script, and updating the ubuntu repos is not really necessary and a rather lengthy process (I'm not sure if slako 5.3.1 had this woof update. 5.3.2.7 does)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Jasper

#1617 Post by Jasper »

Hi again mavrothal,

Thank you for your code and your help. It is working now.

My regards to playdayz as well

vtpup

#1618 Post by vtpup »

playdayz wrote:
Dual boot Win7

Thanks vtpup. That's great news. It looks like there might be a place for Sulu. Do you have a new computer by any chance, say, in the last year?
Yes playdayz this one is one week old. Ordered through Walmart for $349. I did that after reading a bunch of reviews, all of them positive except for the fact that performance was modest on Windows 7 especially with all the crippled ware that comes with it.

That didn't phase me at all, since I knew Puppy was in its future. This is ten times the machine I'm used to, -- for one thing dual proc, 4 gigs mem, 320 gig HD DVD burner, 16" widescreen HDTV out etc. so with Racy or now Sulu it's far more powerful than my desktop or my various Thinkpads.

For less than I've spent in the past on used computers.

Looking forward to wringing out Sulu on it. I know you aren't supporting it, but we'll find a way around most problems sooner or later. Thanks so much for making this available!
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

rerwin

#1619 Post by rerwin »

shinobar,
Thanks for providing the updates to the patch-8 components.

diff petget-rerwin-patch-8/removepreview.sh petget-shinobar-patch-8/removepreview.sh
87a88
>      rm -f "/initrd/pup_rw${ONESPEC}"   # 25mar12 shinobar: forgot this
Although I understand the rest of your changes, the above appears to change Barry's design of the uninstall process.

I infer from the wary version of removepreview.sh that his intent is to replace the file copy in the top (pup_rw) layer. Your addition appears to undo that replacement. But I recognize that removing it exposes the version just obtained from the lower layer, accomplishing the same goal as the replacement technique. But there is probably logic elsewhere that depends on the old file being copied to the top layer.

I am nervous about adding that removal before Barry endorses that design change.

Here is what I put in the attached patch-8a-delta package:

diff /root/lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-8/usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh pkg_chooser.sh
20a21
> LANG_USER=$LANG   #120418 shinobar
269a271
> LANG=$LANG_USER   #120418 shinobar

diff /root/lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-8/usr/local/petget/removepreview.sh removepreview.sh 
19a20
> #120121 shinobar: allow space chars in the "files" list paths.
101c102
<   cat /root/.packages/${DB_pkgname}.files | grep -v '/$' | xargs rm -f #/ on end, it is a directory entry.
---
>   grep -v '/$' /root/.packages/${DB_pkgname}.files | while  read ONESPEC; do rm -f "$ONESPEC"; done #120121 shinobar
In the first diff listing, would you prefer a different date for the fix?

If you concur with my version of your changes, they could be considered for addition to the new lupuplus. I have not tested them myself, so depend on your assessment. Thanks.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-8a-delta.pet
shinobar's updates to patch-8 PPM.
(7.21 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

don570

#1620 Post by don570 »

I made a fork of pmirror to improve it.
I tested it in Lucid Puppy.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 168#621168

shinobar

PPM improvement

#1621 Post by shinobar »

rerwin wrote:I am nervous about adding that removal before Barry endorses that design change.
Good.
Meanwhile i have uploaded petget-20120418.pet as a candidate for pupplet builders and whom want to try.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73829
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

playdayz

#1622 Post by playdayz »

Opinions Wanted Please

I cannot decide whether to put a browser (Firefox) into the next Lupu Plus.

Yes, in keeping with its Plus designation, to give it distinction from Lupu regular, because some people have always wanted an included browser, and the browser would run from ram and not take up pupsave

No, because the browsers update so frequently now that it would be out of date in a week and the update would take up pupsave and not run from ram anyway, and because Browser Choice has been a trademark of Lucid and some people would want a different browser no matter which one is included.

Thanks for opinions.

Eyes-Only

#1623 Post by Eyes-Only »

I vote "no" myself. A basic browser like it's always been - Midori ( or it could even be changed to Dillo 3 now as advanced as that's become Playdayz? ) for reading the base help files/start-up Puppy description/help, and leaving the programme in for browser selection.

In otherwords: Keep Lucid "traditional". ;)

Then and again, what do I know?

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Sylvander

#1624 Post by Sylvander »

1. Although I would naturally tend to say YES...
Include Firefox...

2. Having read the reasons you gave for saying NO...
I finally go with NO.
But...

3. Is it possible to automatically have it load an SFS file for Firefox?
And have an auto-system for replacing that SFS file with one for the latest Firefox version?

aarf

#1625 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote:Opinions Wanted Please

I cannot decide whether to put a browser (Firefox) into the next Lupu Plus.

Yes, in keeping with its Plus designation, to give it distinction from Lupu regular, because some people have always wanted an included browser, and the browser would run from ram and not take up pupsave

No, because the browsers update so frequently now that it would be out of date in a week and the update would take up pupsave and not run from ram anyway, and because Browser Choice has been a trademark of Lucid and some people would want a different browser no matter which one is included.

Thanks for opinions.
whatever. i havent downloaded plus and dont intent to ( i think libre office sucks and cant find a need to use it :lol: ). i havent ever installed a browser with quickpet. i use my current across-puppy portable opera. sometimes but rarely i use midori in saluki when a page wont render properly in opera or if i click a local html file, it will open in midori as it is the default html browser. but even jemimah doesnt recommend midori to be the full time browser to use. i never use firefox but use seamonkey to do banking in pristine quirky. i dont use seamonkey for anything else.
Last edited by aarf on Thu 19 Apr 2012, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.