Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 13:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 108 of 190 [2845 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
James C

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 03:15    Post subject:  

Just a quick report that I manually upgraded a frugal install from 528.004 to 528.005 with no problems .Everything previously installed and modified was persistent.
vtpup

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 09:00    Post subject:  

Sulu installed frugal on ext2 partition.
New Acer Aspire 5348-2365
Dual boot Win7

Wirelesss works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, or Wary. Does on Racy 5.3)

Alsa sound works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, does on Wary and Racy)

Downloaded Seamonkey 2.8, Libre Office, Acrobat 9.3, Gimp 2.6.

Problems found so far:

Only screen dimming Fn keys not working (works on Racy 5.3, though keys reversed)

Looks really good so far!

Acer Iconia A1-830 x86 tablet -- Puppy some day?
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 09:32    Post subject:  

Quote:
Dual boot Win7

Wirelesss works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, or Wary. Does on Racy 5.3)

Thanks vtpup. That's great news. It looks like there might be a place for Sulu. Do you have a new computer by any chance, say, in the last year?

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:29; edited 2 times in total
prehistoric

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:33    Post subject:  

Just checked the lucid puppy news page, and it still refers to 5.2.8.004. Should we consider 005 released?

I would recommend that people upgrading start with a new installation and move personal files, to avoid confusion in PPM. You can get everything up to date, but it isn't going to happen automagically. I just installed the latest lupu version (15) of Iron on this machine. A previous installation insisted that 13 was latest. I'm still not sure why reconfiguring PPM caused it to download the package list for UbuntuMultiverse and UbuntuUniverse, which were not checked as repositories I wanted.
humblesoul

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:42    Post subject:  

I've never trusted ppm suggestions and always searched the net for latest whatever. Not sure why. Just do.
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:03    Post subject:  

Quote:
A previous installation insisted that 13

It is necessary to "Update Lupu PPM" in order to see the latest. It does not happen automatically, but each release will have what is the latest *at that time* It is easy to update: Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM.

There is an Iron 18 now--it skipped 16 and 17 because they did not work correctly in my testing. http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Iron-18-Lucid.pet

Quote:
Just checked the lucid puppy news page, and it still refers to 5.2.8.004. Should we consider 005 released?

Yes. I am just lazy. LupuNews is updated now.

Quote:
I'm confused.
.+1
Great to have so many choices of 528-05 but why all mixed up in the same thread?

Yes. I understand. Here's the Grand Plan. In the first message of this thread Lupu/Libre and Lupu Plus/Libre will be listed and explained. Three-Headed Dog will continue to have its own thread. I don't know yet what to do about Sulu--it would have its own thread if it is viable.

It would be done by now but after Lupu Plus was released we made the breakthrough about getting the Help to work so that requires a new Lupu Plus which is coming very soon. And then I got sidetracked making Sulu.

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:39; edited 1 time in total
humblesoul

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:38    Post subject:  

I'm no code monkey and therefore know not of what I ask, but could ppm connect to the net upon activation to update itself? It connects to download...
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 16:26    Post subject:  

humblesoul wrote:
I'm no code monkey and therefore know not of what I ask, but could ppm connect to the net upon activation to update itself? It connects to download...

If you add the following at the top of /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh, immediately after the comments, will do the trick
Code:
THISPID=$!
REPODATE=`find /root/.packages/ -ctime -7 | grep official`
if [ "$REPODATE" = "" ] ;then
 Xdialog  --buttons-style text --title "$(gettext 'Repo Update')" --ok-label "$(gettext 'Update')" --cancel-label "$(gettext 'Not now')"  --yesno "$(gettext 'Your repositories are more than one week old. \nDo you want to update them before you go on?')" 0 0
 case $? in
 0) rxvt -bg yellow -title 'download databases' -e /usr/local/petget/0setup
   kill $THISPID
   exec /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh
   ;;
 *) echo "$(gettext 'Going on with old repos')" ;;
 esac
fi

Of course some monkeying is needed for that Razz

Jasper

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 16:59    Post subject:  

Hi mavrothal,

I tried your solution in your post immediately above in Slacko 5.3.1 and it did not seem to work.

Hopefully it is OK that I may I ask here if it might reasonably be expected to work in any other Puppies?

My regards
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 17:14    Post subject:  

Quote:
If you add the following at the top of /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh, immediately after the comments, will do the trick

Oh, this will work only if your (mavrothal) changes have been installed???
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 17:20    Post subject:  

Jasper wrote:
Hi mavrothal,

I tried your solution in your post immediately above in Slacko 5.3.1 and it did not seem to work.

Hopefully it is OK that I may I ask here if it might reasonably be expected to work in any other Puppies?

My regards

In what sense?
If anyone of the official repos has been changed/updated in the last week will not offer to update any of them.
If you want to update every time change the line
Code:
REPODATE=`find /root/.packages/ -ctime -7 | grep official`

to
Code:
REPODATE=

I just do not think is necessary to do it every time.

Quote:
Oh, this will work only if your (mavrothal) changes have been installed???

No. This is independent from the rest. However, I would recommend to update at least 0setup because the Luci version is the older all-or-nothing version of the script, and updating the ubuntu repos is not really necessary and a rather lengthy process (I'm not sure if slako 5.3.1 had this woof update. 5.3.2.7 does)

Jasper

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 18:30    Post subject:  

Hi again mavrothal,

Thank you for your code and your help. It is working now.

My regards to playdayz as well
vtpup

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 18:58    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
Dual boot Win7

Thanks vtpup. That's great news. It looks like there might be a place for Sulu. Do you have a new computer by any chance, say, in the last year?

Yes playdayz this one is one week old. Ordered through Walmart for $349. I did that after reading a bunch of reviews, all of them positive except for the fact that performance was modest on Windows 7 especially with all the crippled ware that comes with it.

That didn't phase me at all, since I knew Puppy was in its future. This is ten times the machine I'm used to, -- for one thing dual proc, 4 gigs mem, 320 gig HD DVD burner, 16" widescreen HDTV out etc. so with Racy or now Sulu it's far more powerful than my desktop or my various Thinkpads.

For less than I've spent in the past on used computers.

Looking forward to wringing out Sulu on it. I know you aren't supporting it, but we'll find a way around most problems sooner or later. Thanks so much for making this available!

Acer Iconia A1-830 x86 tablet -- Puppy some day?
rerwin

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 20:17    Post subject:  

shinobar,
Thanks for providing the updates to the patch-8 components.
Code:
diff petget-rerwin-patch-8/removepreview.sh petget-shinobar-patch-8/removepreview.sh
87a88
>      rm -f "/initrd/pup_rw${ONESPEC}"   # 25mar12 shinobar: forgot this
Although I understand the rest of your changes, the above appears to change Barry's design of the uninstall process.

I infer from the wary version of removepreview.sh that his intent is to replace the file copy in the top (pup_rw) layer. Your addition appears to undo that replacement. But I recognize that removing it exposes the version just obtained from the lower layer, accomplishing the same goal as the replacement technique. But there is probably logic elsewhere that depends on the old file being copied to the top layer.

I am nervous about adding that removal before Barry endorses that design change.

Here is what I put in the attached patch-8a-delta package:
Code:
diff /root/lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-8/usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh pkg_chooser.sh
20a21
> LANG_USER=$LANG   #120418 shinobar
269a271
> LANG=$LANG_USER   #120418 shinobar
Code:
diff /root/lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-8/usr/local/petget/removepreview.sh removepreview.sh
19a20
> #120121 shinobar: allow space chars in the "files" list paths.
101c102
<   cat /root/.packages/${DB_pkgname}.files | grep -v '/$' | xargs rm -f #/ on end, it is a directory entry.
---
>   grep -v '/$' /root/.packages/${DB_pkgname}.files | while  read ONESPEC; do rm -f "$ONESPEC"; done #120121 shinobar
In the first diff listing, would you prefer a different date for the fix?

If you concur with my version of your changes, they could be considered for addition to the new lupuplus. I have not tested them myself, so depend on your assessment. Thanks.
Richard
lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-8a-delta.pet
Description  shinobar's updates to patch-8 PPM.
pet

Download 
Filename  lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-8a-delta.pet 
Filesize  7.21 KB 
Downloaded  104 Time(s) 
don570

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 20:23    Post subject:  

I made a fork of pmirror to improve it.
I tested it in Lucid Puppy.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=621168#621168

Page 108 of 190 [2845 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: