Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Brown Mouse

#1591 Post by Brown Mouse »

ICPUG wrote:
playdayz wrote:Upcoming Schedule

Now that I have finished playing with the 3.x kernel, next up will be an update version of Lupu Plus and Lupu Plus Libre that will include the amazing and impressive list of tweaks in rerwin's message above.
I'm confused.
+1
Great to have so many choices of 528-05 but why all mixed up in the same thread?

rerwin

#1592 Post by rerwin »

jim3630 wrote:installed rewin patch 8 to lupulibre. rebooted to desktop but no "two barks."
didn't have the "two barks" prior to patch 8, iirc may not have had on pfix=ram install of lupulibre.
If you rebooted with the patch installed (into a new pupsave file), then I would not expect the barks. They are done only when there is no pupsave file or -partition involved (pupstate 5).

nooby

#1593 Post by nooby »

Notes: 1) If you have previously used the Lucid 5.2.8 Live CD,
it may have copied the lupu_528.sfs file to your hard drive.

When the new CD boots it will use that lupu_528.sfs without telling you,
so you need to delete it from your drive, or rename it, before you boot
the new CD. This will happen even if the lupu_528.sfs is in a directory.

2) If you use a frugal install,. a simple trick is to download the ISO,
click it to open it, and copy the lupu_528.sfs into the directory
hat holds the frugal install, replacing the old one.
Oops good that you told us. Could save hours or days of frustration.
So obviously this is not easy to build into the iso to be aware of this
and to do something about it? Maybe say Error you need to rename
that file or something may scrw up. and then tell what is here above?

Me not good at logic don't dare to test that version now I am not sure
how to follow that advice. Rename maybe is easier than delete.
One would need to copy it to a safe place and then remember
when to restore it?

Rambling Nooby
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jim3630

#1594 Post by jim3630 »

after reboot with patch 8 applied to lupulibre wl recognized on wan0 by sns made
the wifi connection on Broadcom Corporation BCM4313. previously it used eth1.

can report the fix to umount for partitions greater than 9 works.

the click-to-mount file function works here. will continue to test next few days.
thanks

mavrothal

PPM

#1595 Post by mavrothal »

playdayz wrote:Upcoming Schedule

Now that I have finished playing with the 3.x kernel, next up will be an update version of Lupu Plus and Lupu Plus Libre that will include the amazing and impressive list of tweaks in rerwin's message above.
You may also want to consider this PPM improvement that allows searching multiple repos with multiple terms (eg video edit). Given the Luci/Ubuntu extended repos may be more useful than in any other puppy.
There is also a Lupu-compatible pet that also includes the pupy-common and puppy-noarch repos, but I'm sure rerwin can do better :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

majorfoo

#1596 Post by majorfoo »

I have not seen the following in a very long time.

On boot screen -

Waiting for modules to complete loading . . . USB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

What is causing the numbers following USB ?

playdayz

#1597 Post by playdayz »

Waiting for modules to complete loading . . . USB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

What is causing the numbers following USB ?
I don't know, except that I have seen this when experimenting with the 3.x kernel in Lucid.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Youtube plays videos without Flashplayer!

I was testing this pet of Iron 18 and it played some (not all) videos on youtube without flashplayer being installed, using html5. I didn't have to do anything--it just happened.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Iron-18-Lucid.pet

goolwa_pup

Super Lupu

#1598 Post by goolwa_pup »

Super Lupu will load but does not detect my realtek usb wireless 8192cu module...can someone please compile this module for the new kernel for me....

playdayz

#1599 Post by playdayz »

Super Lupu will load but does not detect my realtek usb wireless 8192cu module...can someone please compile this module for the new kernel for me....
I will not be supporting Sulu myself. It doesn't work as well as i hoped it might. My usb webcam has some problems that it does not have with either lucid or 3HD. I am afraid there is just too much distance between Lucid and the 3.x kernel. So far, I don't really see that it adds anything, or solves any problems. I did use the 3.0.25 kernel from racy thinking that drivers compiled for racy should work.
You may also want to consider this PPM improvement that allows searching multiple repos with multiple terms (eg video edit). Given the Luci/Ubuntu extended repos may be more useful than in any other puppy.
There is also a Lupu-compatible pet that also includes the pupy-common and puppy-noarch repos,
This works for me on first test mavrothal It is necessary to restart PPM after adding repos, I think.

majorfoo

#1600 Post by majorfoo »

Full install of Sulu-001.

Sound - ok
Auto connect to internet - ok
Added Audacious 3.22 - sounds great
Added Seamonkey-2.9 beta 2 - works
Added Xorghigh
Xscreensaver
Wbar 1.33
Evince 2.30
Puppy Browser
Flashplayer 11.2.202.228
Shermans Aquarium
Bibletime 2.72
Pwidgets 2.40
Sfs Install
Tcl-tk_plus

All of these work as expected.

Thanks for another puppy to play with
Attachments
super lupu-001.png
(192.13 KiB) Downloaded 814 times

rerwin

Re: PPM Improvement vs. flash-drive installation fixes

#1601 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
If you are considering adding the PPM improvement to lupu528, please wait. I see that some of the modified scripts are ones that I modified to make flash-drive installations work (in patch-8).

I will attempt to merge the code for the 3 impacted scripts. I will also check for conflicts with the other affected scripts, compared to lupu's versions.

I think I should do this anyway, to provide a safe pet-package version for lupu528. I have not ported all of the woof mods to those scripts (installpkg.sh, installpreview.sh, pkg_chooser.sh), to avoid unnecessary surprises.
Richard

shinobar

Re: PPM Improvement vs. flash-drive installation fixes

#1602 Post by shinobar »

rerwin wrote:playdayz,
If you are considering adding the PPM improvement to lupu528, please wait. I see that some of the modified scripts are ones that I modified to make flash-drive installations work ( in patch-8 ).
@rerwin
As for the PPM, i hope you review my most recent one, petget-20120331.pet:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73829

Me too, will check your PPM in the patch-8.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

rerwin

#1603 Post by rerwin »

shinobar,
So the development of the PPM improvements continues. When I made my changes for flash drive installations, I decided to avoid integrating the significant dependency corrections, because they were too much for me to take responsibility for as we are trying to finalize lupu (in some sense). I think playdayz wants to avoid a struggle to get it right in lupu, at least to avoid doing it before the fixes go into woof. I want to make only fixes that appear safe, that don't potentially add new problems.

I will let playdayz make the call about that. If mavrothal's PPM improvements depend on that recent dependency code, then things get complicated. But if he decides to take all of the PPM improvements, I can merge my relatively small changes into whatever you two end up with.
Richard

shinobar

PPM correction for lupu

#1604 Post by shinobar »

rerwin wrote:When I made my changes for flash drive installations, I decided to avoid integrating the significant dependency corrections, because they were too much for me to take responsibility for as we are trying to finalize lupu (in some sense).
Okey, i propose a small patch against your patch-8. I hope you understand what i intend.

Code: Select all

# diff petget-rerwin-patch-8 petget-shinobar-patch-8
diff petget-rerwin-patch-8/pkg_chooser.sh petget-shinobar-patch-8/pkg_chooser.sh
20a21
> LANG_USER=$LANG	# shinobar
269a271
> LANG=$LANG_USER	# shinobar
diff petget-rerwin-patch-8/removepreview.sh petget-shinobar-patch-8/removepreview.sh
87a88
>      rm -f "/initrd/pup_rw${ONESPEC}"	# 25mar12 shinobar: forgot this
100,101c101,102
<  else #120103 shinobar: PUPMODE=2
<   cat /root/.packages/${DB_pkgname}.files | grep -v '/$' | xargs rm -f #/ on end, it is a directory entry.
---
>  else #120103 shinobar: PUPMODE=2 #21jan12 shinobar: allow space chars in the path
>   grep -v '/$' /root/.packages/${DB_pkgname}.files | while  read ONESPEC; do rm -f "$ONESPEC"; done
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

mavrothal

#1605 Post by mavrothal »

playdayz wrote:
There is also a Lupu-compatible pet that also includes the pupy-common and puppy-noarch repos,
This works for me on first test mavrothal It is necessary to restart PPM after adding repos, I think.
Yes. In contrast to quickpet, ppm does not auto-restart when you change preferences. You must do it manually for the changes to take effect.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

James C

#1606 Post by James C »

Just a quick report that I manually upgraded a frugal install from 528.004 to 528.005 with no problems .Everything previously installed and modified was persistent.

vtpup

#1607 Post by vtpup »

Sulu installed frugal on ext2 partition.
New Acer Aspire 5348-2365
Dual boot Win7

Wirelesss works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, or Wary. Does on Racy 5.3)

Alsa sound works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, does on Wary and Racy)

Downloaded Seamonkey 2.8, Libre Office, Acrobat 9.3, Gimp 2.6.

Problems found so far:

Only screen dimming Fn keys not working (works on Racy 5.3, though keys reversed)

Looks really good so far!
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

playdayz

#1608 Post by playdayz »

Sulu installed frugal on ext2 partition.
New Acer Aspire 5348-2365
Dual boot Win7

Wirelesss works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, or Wary. Does on Racy 5.3)

Alsa sound works out of the box (didn't on Lupu 528 v5, does on Wary and Racy)
Thanks vtpup. That's great news. It looks like there might be a place for Sulu. Do you have a new computer by any chance, say, in the last year?
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 16:29, edited 2 times in total.

prehistoric

#1609 Post by prehistoric »

Just checked the lucid puppy news page, and it still refers to 5.2.8.004. Should we consider 005 released?

I would recommend that people upgrading start with a new installation and move personal files, to avoid confusion in PPM. You can get everything up to date, but it isn't going to happen automagically. I just installed the latest lupu version (15) of Iron on this machine. A previous installation insisted that 13 was latest. I'm still not sure why reconfiguring PPM caused it to download the package list for UbuntuMultiverse and UbuntuUniverse, which were not checked as repositories I wanted.

humblesoul

#1610 Post by humblesoul »

I've never trusted ppm suggestions and always searched the net for latest whatever. Not sure why. Just do.