Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

#1576 Post by Billtoo »

playdayz wrote:Just for Fun

It boots for me and reboots with a save file. To be honest, I doubt that it has any real advantages to Lucid 5.2.8.005 or Three-Headed Dog, but who knows, it might work better for someone.

Super Lupu with the 3.0.25 kernel from Racy (at the same level of update as 5.2.8.005).

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/sulu-001.iso
2d4f898bb26361959c95f698ce5dcf0c

It gives a modprobe error when first creating a save file--but it seems to work.
I burned sulu-001.iso to a dvd and booted it up.
I installed Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid.pet,kernel_src-3.0.25-patched.sfs,and
luci_devx_001.sfs (renamed to sulu_devx_001.sfs)
I compiled NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.40.run

sh-4.1# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
138376 frames in 5.0 seconds
138672 frames in 5.0 seconds
138516 frames in 5.0 seconds
sh-4.1#

I added a few pets, compiled smplayer and smtube.
I haven't made a save file yet so don't know how that will go but so
far so good.

James C

#1577 Post by James C »

Even if it's a silly PAE kernel, I'll do a little testing.Super Lupu live pfix=ram...no savefile yet.

Obvious problems first....... unable to download browser by clicking the "browse" icon..... "Sorry,your package is not found". Same for QuickPet. No problem downloading with the PPM though.

sh-4.1# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Super Lupu, version 001

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
sh-4.1#
Actually using the "nv" driver.

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 3884MB (170MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 16 Apr 2012 04:05:00 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Looking pretty good......

James C

#1578 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: It gives a modprobe error when first creating a save file--but it seems to work.
No modprobe error here when I created a save file on a usb flash drive.Everything proceeded normally.
Now I can experiment a little.....

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

#1579 Post by Billtoo »

I rebooted creating a 1.2 GB save file on a flash drive, it created the file
without problems and booted back to the desktop.
There is only 505 mb free in the save file now.
Attachments
savefile.png
(28.25 KiB) Downloaded 1220 times

James C

#1580 Post by James C »

Obligatory screenshot....

playdayz

#1581 Post by playdayz »

Obvious problems first....... unable to download browser by clicking the "browse" icon..... "Sorry,your package is not found". Same for QuickPet. No problem downloading with the PPM though.
James C, Here is the fix for Quickpet and the Browser Installer. The file is /root/.quickpet/repos.conf. I got too fancy with the name sulu and Quickpet didn't know what to do with it. This is only necessary in Sulu.
Attachments
qp-fix.pet
(700 Bytes) Downloaded 291 times

rerwin

#1582 Post by rerwin »

jim3630 wrote:Richard are all of these fixes in Lupuplus and Lupulibre?
They are in lupuplus with the update-3 package, but not in lupulibre. You can install patch-8 into lupulibre, though. I hope you and others will run with it awhile before playdayz adds it to the ISOs.

I am in the phase of my career where programming is so much fun I do it for nothing. We were warned in my initial class on the IBM System/360 that this could happen. Thanks for your and bigpup's enthusiastic comments.
Richard

cthisbear

#1583 Post by cthisbear »

rerwin"

One of the many good sports here on the Murga forum,
and a true gentleman.

Hat's off to all the testers here.............Chris.

James C

#1584 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
James C, Here is the fix for Quickpet and the Browser Installer. The file is /root/.quickpet/repos.conf. I got too fancy with the name sulu and Quickpet didn't know what to do with it. This is only necessary in Sulu.
That fixed it. Thanks.

DC

#1585 Post by DC »

re: Just for Fun - Super Lupu with the 3.0.25 kernel from Racy

NFS works fine with this build and the 3.0.25 kernel.
Which was not the case with the latest Racy build.

thanks

DC
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

ICPUG

#1586 Post by ICPUG »

playdayz wrote:Upcoming Schedule

Now that I have finished playing with the 3.x kernel, next up will be an update version of Lupu Plus and Lupu Plus Libre that will include the amazing and impressive list of tweaks in rerwin's message above.
I'm confused.

Are all the fixes already in Lupu 528.005? If not, why is Lupu Plus and Lupu Plus Libre being updated in isolation.

rerwin

LupuLibre, doc-type-LibO-set-1 package and remasterpup2

#1587 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
I am concerned that the package you require to be installed upon first-boot of lupulibre will not be retained if the user makes a remaster of lupulibre and whatever else has been installed. But I think the solution is simple.

The package merely adds some files to /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons and /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types. However, those subdirectories are remastered only from the "puppy" layer (the original lupu_528.sfs file), so the package files in the "pupsave" layer are ignored. The solution would seem to be for you to merge those two subdirectories into the /tmp/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ directory during your remaster to make lupulibre. Do that at the point where the remasterer lets you add files to the /tmp/root directory. That way, they become a permanent part of lupulibre and do not require an unusual measure to be taken by each installer of lupulibre. If those files would not impact the non-libre versions of lupu528, you might include them an all versions, for consistency.

Please consider this before making the next version of lupulibre. Thanks.
Richard

playdayz

#1588 Post by playdayz »

I am concerned that the package you require to be installed upon first-boot of lupulibre will not be retained if the user makes a remaster of lupulibre and whatever else has been installed. But I think the solution is simple.

The package merely adds some files to /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons and /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types. However, those subdirectories are remastered only from the "puppy" layer (the original lupu_528.sfs file), so the package files in the "pupsave" layer are ignored. The solution would seem to be for you to merge those two subdirectories into the /tmp/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ directory during your remaster to make lupulibre.
Yes, that is exactly it rerwin. I made Lupu Libre and then humblesoul noted that it could be improved by including the icons and run actions that are in the package you mention. So the next time I make Lupu Libre or Lupu Plus Libre they will be built-in. Thanks.
Lupu Plus and Lupu Plus Libre being updated in isolation.
ICPUG, I do the updates on a revolving basis--and I just did lupu-528.005. Lupu Plus is next. As rerwin said in the notes to patch-3, it would be good for people who are using regular Lupu 5.2.8.005 to install and test that patch. Thanks.

jim3630

#1589 Post by jim3630 »

rerwin wrote:
jim3630 wrote:Richard are all of these fixes in Lupuplus and Lupulibre?
They are in lupuplus with the update-3 package, but not in lupulibre. You can install patch-8 into lupulibre, though. I hope you and others will run with it awhile before playdayz adds it to the ISOs.

I am in the phase of my career where programming is so much fun I do it for nothing. We were warned in my initial class on the IBM System/360 that this could happen. Thanks for your and bigpup's enthusiastic comments.
Richard
you date yourself. my first was the 5150 living in Silicon Valley even took couple programming classes to find out I didn't have it. funny naming scheme IBM had the smaller number would take up a room.

would you say computer advances today that the mainframe 360 can be contained in a laptop today? it's hard to get a perspective.

jim3630

#1590 Post by jim3630 »

installed rewin patch 8 to lupulibre. rebooted to desktop but no "two barks."

didn't have the "two barks" prior to patch 8, iirc may not have had on pfix=ram install of lupulibre.

Brown Mouse

#1591 Post by Brown Mouse »

ICPUG wrote:

Now that I have finished playing with the 3.x kernel, next up will be an update version of Lupu Plus and Lupu Plus Libre that will include the amazing and impressive list of tweaks in rerwin's message above.
I'm confused.
+1
Great to have so many choices of 528-05 but why all mixed up in the same thread?

rerwin

#1592 Post by rerwin »

jim3630 wrote:installed rewin patch 8 to lupulibre. rebooted to desktop but no "two barks."
didn't have the "two barks" prior to patch 8, iirc may not have had on pfix=ram install of lupulibre.
If you rebooted with the patch installed (into a new pupsave file), then I would not expect the barks. They are done only when there is no pupsave file or -partition involved (pupstate 5).

nooby

#1593 Post by nooby »

Notes: 1) If you have previously used the Lucid 5.2.8 Live CD,
it may have copied the lupu_528.sfs file to your hard drive.

When the new CD boots it will use that lupu_528.sfs without telling you,
so you need to delete it from your drive, or rename it, before you boot
the new CD. This will happen even if the lupu_528.sfs is in a directory.

2) If you use a frugal install,. a simple trick is to download the ISO,
click it to open it, and copy the lupu_528.sfs into the directory
hat holds the frugal install, replacing the old one.
Oops good that you told us. Could save hours or days of frustration.
So obviously this is not easy to build into the iso to be aware of this
and to do something about it? Maybe say Error you need to rename
that file or something may scrw up. and then tell what is here above?

Me not good at logic don't dare to test that version now I am not sure
how to follow that advice. Rename maybe is easier than delete.
One would need to copy it to a safe place and then remember
when to restore it?

Rambling Nooby
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jim3630

#1594 Post by jim3630 »

after reboot with patch 8 applied to lupulibre wl recognized on wan0 by sns made
the wifi connection on Broadcom Corporation BCM4313. previously it used eth1.

can report the fix to umount for partitions greater than 9 works.

the click-to-mount file function works here. will continue to test next few days.
thanks

mavrothal

PPM

#1595 Post by mavrothal »

You may also want to consider this PPM improvement that allows searching multiple repos with multiple terms (eg video edit). Given the Luci/Ubuntu extended repos may be more useful than in any other puppy.
There is also a Lupu-compatible pet that also includes the pupy-common and puppy-noarch repos, but I'm sure rerwin can do better :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==