Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 14:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 89 of 190 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:46    Post_subject:  

otropogo wrote:

Quote:
/usr/bin/gparted: line 81: /usr/sbin/gpartedbin: No such file or directory

I cannot duplicate this. In my versions of Lupu, /usr/bin/gparted is just a symlink to /usr/bin/gpartedbin. However, Slacko and Wary use the combination /usr/sbin/gparted and /usr/sbin/gpartedbin.

I would suggest that you boot off a Lupu Live CD using the "puppy pfix=ram" option and see what happens.
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:53    Post_subject:  

otropogo wrote:

I get the following line:

Found this in a different version of Lucid post. Talking about Lucid Lite 525.
majorfoo wrote:
tried to add gparted-0.8.0-lucid52
receive error message =/usr/bin gparted line 81 - usr/sbin/gpartedbin no such file or directory.

Quote:
stu90 wrote:

Hi majorfoo.
Could you try opening a terminal window and typing in this command then try gparted:

ln -s /usr/bin/gpartedbin /usr/sbin/gpartedbin

cheers.

majorfoo wrote:
that solved my problem - have remastered, booted and looking good

Using Lucid 528-004 full install I get same result as rcrsn51.
Quote:
I cannot duplicate this. In my versions of Lupu, /usr/bin/gparted is just a symlink to /usr/bin/gpartedbin

Edited_time_total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012, 13:31    Post_subject:  

Yes, the gparted-0.8.0-lucid52.pet is broken. Its script /usr/bin/gparted wants to call the non-existent /usr/sbin/gpartedbin instead of the correct /usr/bin/gpartedbin.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 03:22    Post_subject:  

Tip:

Ever delete a desktop drive icon, by right clicking on icon, to access the right click menu, and accidentally hit "remove item", because that is what the mouse pointer usually is over?
What works for me is to right click on the name, under the drive icon. sda1, sda2, etc... That will put the mouse point over the menu item "backdrop".

otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 04:26    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
otropogo wrote:

Quote:

I cannot duplicate this. In my versions of Lupu, /usr/bin/gparted is just a symlink to /usr/bin/gpartedbin. However, Slacko and Wary use the combination /usr/sbin/gparted and /usr/sbin/gpartedbin.

I would suggest that you boot off a Lupu Live CD using the "puppy pfix=ram" option and see what happens.

I just booted with pfix=ram. And the boot screen says 5.2.8, while the desktop says Lucid 5.2.8.

But in this clean boot, when I enter "gparted" in the terminal, Gparted starts up normally and displays both hard disks, although it's unable to identify extended partitions on both disks.

I was surprised that lupu didn't use the 528.sfs file on the hard drive to copy to ram, copying from the CD instead. So I thought I'd let it copy it to the hard drive again at the prompt, to see what would happen. I was even more surprised that it seemed to copy it again.

In any case, my configured version of lupu 528 still won't run Gparted.

I've installed very little. Most recently, I installed updates #2 and #3, IIRC, and then uninstalled #3 because of video problems (sound and video out of sync), although this problem seems to persist. I wonder if Gparted got damaged by something removed when uninstalling the update?

The only programs I can remember installing are Gimp, Ufraw, Rawstudio, Firefox, and x-fprot.

666philb

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 11:05    Post_subject:  

i found this pretty nifty gtk youtube search/play/downloader .... works well in lucid puppy http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 11:16    Post_subject:  

otropogo wrote:
I was surprised that lupu didn't use the 528.sfs file on the hard drive to copy to ram, copying from the CD instead..

The "pfix=ram" option is a bit of a misnomer. Its intent is to load everything off the CD and ignore any Puppy files on the hard drive.

This is a good thing. For example, on a low-memory machine where Puppy has to mount the sfs instead of loading it into RAM, you wouldn't be able to use Gparted to reformat your hard drive, since the Puppy partition would be locked.

Or if your sfs file on the hard drive has gotten corrupted, you need a way to do a clean boot that ignores it.
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 13:06    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Yes, the gparted-0.8.0-lucid52.pet is broken

Yes. It is now removed from PPM. gparted 0.8.0 is built-in to Lucid 5.2.8.004.
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 13:14    Post_subject:  

Quote:
The latest stable version of Gparted is 0.12.0

Nope. it requires a newer version of libc.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 13:43    Post_subject:  

otropogo wrote:

Did you try this?
Opening a terminal window (console) and typing in this command then try gparted:

Some of the other problems with your 3TB drive may just be because it is a 3TB drive.
Example:
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=153881
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5655/~/how-to-install-a-wd-advanced-format-drive-on-a-non-windows-operating-system

Edited_time_total
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 14:23    Post_subject:  

New bug fixed version of Pmusic 2.5.0
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 14:34    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
The latest stable version of Gparted is 0.12.0

Nope. it requires a newer version of libc.

Gparted nab it! Crying or Very sad

otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 21:42    Post_subject:  

bigpup wrote:
otropogo wrote:

Did you try this?
Opening a terminal window (console) and typing in this command then try gparted:

I just tried it. I'm returned to the command line with no error message, but when I enter "gparted", I get the same error message as previously described.

bigpup wrote:
Some of the other problems with your 3TB drive may just be because it is a 3TB drive.
Example:
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=153881
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5655/~/how-to-install-a-wd-advanced-format-drive-on-a-non-windows-operating-system

I don't think so. After I was warned here that there might be an issue, even in Windows, handling a 3TB partition, I used gparted to resize the single ntfs partition to 2TB (the remainder is now unallocated). Unfortunately, I don't remember which version of Puppy I used for this. It may have been Slacko.

However, this didn't solve my main problem - Lucid's intermittent
refusal to mount the partition read-write. Further testing established that the same ntfs problem occurs with another Seagate USB drive of only 320GB. What is most puzzling is that, when booting with both drives connected, many times one has mounted and allowed writing to it without complaint, while the other is restricted to read-only mode. Both drives taking the crippled position by turns. Mind you, this has only been tested on the expresscard/USB3.0 connection.

I have not had any problem with either drive in Windows7, CentOS 6.2., Slacko 5.29.6, except for lack of hot-plug ability using US3.0 in the last. Only Lucid has displayed the ntfs error, and only when mounting either or both of the two ntfs USB drives(in both USB2.0 and USB3.0), never when mounting an ntfs partition on an internal drive.

The two articles you cited make interesting reading, and I've saved them for later reference if needed, thanks. But I don't think they're relevant to my usage. I use these drives strictly on the USB port, and have no easy way to test the drive internally on either desktop or laptop machines.

When I resized the single partition on the 3TB drive, gparted didn't give any indication of a problem at all before, during, or after completion, so I can't really relate to the issues mentioned in the first discussion cited.

And I also note that there is no indication in either citation that the 3TB drive under discussion was a USB3.0 drive. The only mention of USB3.0 in the second rather suggest that it was not. So I wonder whether there are other differences between the two 3TB drives, other than USB3.0 capability.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar 2012, 00:45    Post_subject:  

otropogo,

Quote:
I just tried it. I'm returned to the command line with no error message, but when I enter "gparted", I get the same error message as previously described.

Well, if it works from a live lucid CD and not from the frugal install. logic would suggest the frugal install is messed up. Probably something with the save file.

Quote:
When I resized the single partition on the 3TB drive, gparted didn't give any indication of a problem at all before, during, or after completion, so I can't really relate to the issues mentioned in the first discussion cited.

What Gparted did you do this with?
Going to 2TB partition may be why it worked.

I found this that may help:
Quote:
MBR – Linux behavior differs from Microsoft in that (depending on the Linux version) you can create multiple MBR partitions that can consume a large drive (up to a maximum of ~ 4 TB). Under Linux, to consume the entire (up-to-4TB) drive, the user has to create at least two partitions (MBR maximum of 4 primary partitions).

1) First partition starting at the first possible sector and of SIZE slightly less than 2048GB (maybe 4-5 GB less).
2) The second partition can start off where the first partition ended and cover the rest of the disk.

About Gparted in Lucid 528.
It has Gparted version 0.8.0
The latest version is up to 0.12.0
Problem is probably version 0.8.0 does not have capability to support these large drives.
Playdayz has stated, he can not update Gparted, because the supporting files needed, are not in Lucid.

I may be wrong, but info I have read about 3TB drives indicate:
The Linux kernel in Lucid, is not new enough or not setup to handle large drives.
Other supporting programs needed not new enough to fully support drives.
So Lucid is probably not best version of Puppy for you.
Newest version of Slacko, Racy, or a Puppy derivative, using the latest/newer Linux kernel and newer supporting programs, may be your best option. A 64 bit version would probably also help.

kevin bowers

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar 2012, 12:27    Post_subject:  

OK, why not further confuse the issue? I have one computer with 2 2-TB drives, both partitioned OOTB with Gparted in Lucid, one with both an EXT3 and an NTFS partition dual-booting Puppy and Windows 7 (also has a 1-GB swap partition), and the other with a single FAT32 partition taking up the whole drive. I've had no issues with either one regardless of OS. Perhaps the main problem is with USB3? Mine are both internal (SATA).
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 89 of 190 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum