Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nooby

#1231 Post by nooby »

Lucid will lose "official" status

on Barry's blog

"Playdayz, the coordinator of Lucid Puppy, and I have agreed that by the time of the next official releases of Racy, Wary and Slacko, Lucid will be dropped from the list of "official" puppies.

Lucid is based on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx binary packages and is getting on to two years old. Even though there have been upgrades, the time has come to "de-emphasise" Lucid. However, Lucid will likely continue as another puplet, for those interested. "

Thanks to Playdayz and 01Mick0 and many many others that have made
Lucid Puppy possible. Aprt from pemasu's Snow and his other versions
The Lupu has been my main Puppy.

I am not lucky about Slacko or Saluki so this is sad news even if I get
that being based on Ubuntu old repos may be a problem.

Maybe should start a new thread but I am not good at such. So thanks to all involved
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Volhout

Lucid

#1232 Post by Volhout »

Nooby,

Don't worry. Lucid is mature, stable, and as long as you have a PC it runs on, you can enjoy it. And you read in Barry's blog that it will continue as a puppy, but not as an official distro.

What's in a name... official.

I am happy with the current 004 version, and if 1 year from now, PlayDayz could create a PET for Firefox 21 (I assume they are at 21 around that time), it will last another year......

PlayDayz (and others), thank you for all the help you provided. It its thanks to you that Puppy lives, and the Lucid series is the best puppy for me.

Volhout

sheldonisaac

Re: Lucid

#1233 Post by sheldonisaac »

Couldn't delete this -see next.
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

#1234 Post by sheldonisaac »

some snipping
Volhout wrote: as long as you have a PC it runs on, you can enjoy it.
I do indeed! Can't recall exactly why I no longer use Basic Linux or Damn Small Linux. I am very glad that Puppy Linux exists.
PlayDayz (and others), thank you for all the help you provided. It its thanks to you that Puppy lives, and the Lucid series is the best puppy for me.

Volhout
Completely agree!

Sheldon

otropogo

#1235 Post by otropogo »

Volhout wrote:Nooby,

Don't worry. Lucid is mature, stable, and as long as you have a PC it runs on, you can enjoy it. And you read in Barry's blog that it will continue as a puppy, but not as an official distro.

What's in a name... official.

I am happy with the current 004 version, and if 1 year from now, PlayDayz could create a PET for Firefox 21 (I assume they are at 21 around that time), it will last another year......

Volhout
After reading this sad news, I conclude that this is the end of the line for the experiment of Puppy use of major linux repositories, and with it the end of Puppy's aspirations to become and remain at least somewhat current.

I've just reread the release notes for Slacko 5.3.1, which attempts to provide an overview of the Puppy pack. and note that there isn't even a description of Racy, barely a mention, as one of several pups created with Woof. I don't know what, if any, major repositories Wary and Racy can use. And in fact, it's not clear whether Slacko can use current Slackware repositories, nor how much user expertise is required to install them.

The release says Slacko has the ability to "fetch" Slackware packages:
While on the Puppy Package Manager, apart from Puppy's native PET package format it can also fetch Slackware, Salix and Slacky packages in tgz or txz format.
But does it have the ability to install them?

Puppy has long been touted as an ideal beginner's distro, but in the past year or two it seems to have become seriously polarized between those whose main interest is in playing with the nuts and bolts of the various puppies, and those who are happy if they can only have recent browsers and AV apps.

Those of us who would like to use more recent technology, like USB3, or even not so recent (like pen tablets, multiple monitors, pivoting displays!), are left begging and/or waiting for someone to make us a pet.

And Slackware, alas, has a reputation for being glacially slow in updating its drivers.

So there's no joy in this Mudville today, the mighty Lucy has struck out!
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

darkcity

#1236 Post by darkcity »

It's a question of good will and were people's interest lie - everything here is done on a voluntary. The problem of getting near 100% compatibility with ubuntu's repositories is one reason people don't want to go with ubuntu.

My guess is that upups will continue in some form. and don't forget dpup!
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DPup

Puppy has gone a long way to making Linux accessible - but ease of use and installation still has a long way to go :arrow:

tony

#1237 Post by tony »

Hi,
I will be very sad if this version of puppy (5.2.8) disappears. On my laptops it has been by far the most reliable and easiest to use of the many versions of puppy available on the forum.

In my opinion it is a fundamental weakness of the forum that
the more reliable offerings are slowly buried under the many cries for help and bug reporting of the half baked ones.

Regards Tony

sheldonisaac

status of 5.2.8

#1238 Post by sheldonisaac »

tony wrote:Hi,I will be very sad if this version of puppy (5.2.8) disappears.
Unless I mess up badly (which has happened), it won't disappear from my computers.

I find 5.2.8 quite satisfactory, and think that there will probably be enough support to last me into the forseeable future.

playdayz

#1239 Post by playdayz »

As Barry said, he and I agree that now is the time to change Lucid's official status. But just because Lucid won't be official, doesn't mean it is going to disappear. It will be right there in the thread where it has always been. In my opinion the current ISO, 5.2.8.004, is quite good. There is also a package of Puppy Program Updates for those who want the latest Pmusic by zigbert, PupControl by radky, and the other programs created by members of the Puppy community. Very likely we will roll all the updates into a 5.2.8.005 ISO. For those who want something a bit more experimental, there is the Testing-01 ISO, on which rerwin has taken a leading role. With the Testing ISO Lucid is still innovating--at rerwin's suggestion it contains *all* of the drivers that tempestuous has created for Lucid. I am hoping there will be a Testing-02 ISO. I will continue to package and post the latest browsers and other progams of interest for Lucid. There is also Three-Headed Dog which is basically Lucid with the current Slacko kernel.

Thanks first to Barry, who took a chance and trusted me to represent what he had worked so hard to create. I cannot thank 01micko enough. I had some strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else--and 01micko balanced my weaknesses and brought his own considerable strengths--as everyone can see from Slacko. What Lucid is, is significantly due to Mick--the good parts anyway ;-) Thanks also to the large number of developers and testers--Bigpup at the head of the list--many are listed in the first message of the current Lucid thread. Lucid is due to all of you.

bigpup

#1240 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Very pleased to hear you still have plans and ideas to improve and tweak Lucid Puppy.
It is very nice knowing that programs, updated, will just work and not have to worry about, or deal with, how to make it work on this version of Puppy.

I for one, do not consider myself at the head of the list of developers or testers, and am very humbled, by the abilities, shown by others. I salute and thank all of them for their support of Lucid and willingness to fix and troubleshoot the problems and bugs.
Your willingness, to listen to us all, is what makes Lucid great.
Thank you and all supporters of Lucid!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Aitch

#1241 Post by Aitch »

playdayz

You, and the Lucid team are stars in Puppy world and beyond

Thank you for your effort and energy, much appreciated

Every new turn Puppy development takes, enhances the name of Puppy according to its success

Yours is/was/shall remain mightily successful :D

Aitch :)

smokey01

#1242 Post by smokey01 »

Hear Hear

ASRI éducation

#1243 Post by ASRI éducation »

playdayz wrote:... Very likely we will roll all the updates into a 5.2.8.005 ISO...
Excellent !!

playdayz

#1244 Post by playdayz »

Chromium 18 for Lucid

This Chromium 18 is working nicely for me. Unfortunately the new Iron 17 is not so I am moving to Chromium., I think both of them are a bit snappier than Google Chrome, probably because of less overhead "phoning home."

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

But Google Chrome does have flashplayer built in which might be an advantage in some cases

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Googl ... -Lucid.pet

James C

#1245 Post by James C »

Since Ubuntu Lucid is still going to be supported for a while, might as well keep Puppy Lucid going strong as well....... just happened to be running Ubuntu at the moment.... :lol:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(129.34 KiB) Downloaded 614 times

James C

#1246 Post by James C »

otropogo wrote: The release says Slacko has the ability to "fetch" Slackware packages:
While on the Puppy Package Manager, apart from Puppy's native PET package format it can also fetch Slackware, Salix and Slacky packages in tgz or txz format.
But does it have the ability to install them?
Short answer, yes. Some Slackware packages simply install and work out of the box but others may require some manual intervention.

James C

#1247 Post by James C »

Not ready for prime-time yet but.......

shinobar

nvidia-glx-sdl-295.20-1.sfs

#1248 Post by shinobar »

UPDATE: nvidia-glx-sdl-295.20-1.sfs
fix: was failed for lupu.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Volhout

XFCE

#1249 Post by Volhout »

James C wrote:Not ready for prime-time yet but.......
Are you going to Saluki-fy Lupu ???

ilanrab

#1250 Post by ilanrab »

playdayz wrote:Chromium 18 for Lucid
This Chromium 18 is working nicely for me.
Yes. It seems to be a stable one.
I've been using the following version, for quite awhile, without any surprises popping up:
Chromium 18.0.996.0 (Developer Build 116133 Linux)
[b]ir[/b]