Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
maxpro4u

mplayer

#281 Post by maxpro4u »

When I click on a mp3 mplayer opens but doesn't play it. I have deadbeef installed and it plays the mp3 fine. Anyone else have this issue?
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

Volhout

#282 Post by Volhout »

Bigpup,

I had similar artifacts when switching from window mode to full screen mode on a 1280x1024 screen. That was fixed when I changed the video output from X11 to XV.

System: SIS65x onboard video.

Check if this helps.

Regards,

Volhout

bigpup wrote:Super Multimedia Upgrade testing.

Well Gnome Mplayer is still not very good for movie DVD play.
It does play a movie, but many little buggy things happen. I could list all of them, but lets just say a lot of things do not do what is expected.

What version of Gnome Mplayer should I be seeing?

For example:
I get selection pointers, from the movie menu, in the movie when playing.

bigpup

#283 Post by bigpup »

Volhout wrote:Bigpup,

I had similar artifacts when switching from window mode to full screen mode on a 1280x1024 screen. That was fixed when I changed the video output from X11 to XV.

System: SIS65x onboard video.

Check if this helps.

Regards,

Volhout

bigpup wrote:Super Multimedia Upgrade testing.

Well Gnome Mplayer is still not very good for movie DVD play.
It does play a movie, but many little buggy things happen. I could list all of them, but lets just say a lot of things do not do what is expected.

What version of Gnome Mplayer should I be seeing?

For example:
I get selection pointers, from the movie menu, in the movie when playing.
Changed Gnome Mplayer video output setting to XV.
Had no effect on problems I am seeing in Gnome Mplayer.
Xine DVD DVD Player works fine with no problems watching a DVD movie.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#284 Post by playdayz »

When I click on a mp3 mplayer opens but doesn't play it. I have deadbeef installed and it plays the mp3 fine. Anyone else have this issue?
maxpro4u, It should play of course. Does it give any kind of message? I just checked and mine worked. I have the "Super Multimedia Upgrade" installed. You could install that if you haven't already. You could also open a terminal and enter gnome-mplayer and then File -> Open to select the mp3 and see what it says. Have you checked multiple mp3's just in case one is bad? I also just checked without the Multimedia Upgrade and clicking an mp3 played it in gnome-mplayer.

There is a file /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer You could open that file and substitute deadbeef or pmusic for gnome-mplayer.

My guess is that either it's a bad mp3 or some pet uninstalled something important.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#285 Post by playdayz »

Changed Gnome Mplayer video output setting to XV.
Had no effect on problems I am seeing in Gnome Mplayer.
Xine DVD DVD Player works fine with no problems watching a DVD movie.
I wouldn't expect a difference Bigpup. So use XineDVD--I do! I think it is a gnome-mplayer problem. Here's hoping for good things from 1.0.5.

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if we went backwards on gnome-mplayer? Here's 1.0.2 if you would like to test. I just tested Lion King DVD which might be kind of strange, but the highlights in the menu seemed to be in the right place. That makes it kind of important that a few people test because we could revert in Instant Update 002. I don't have many DVD's ;-)

bigpup

#286 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Tried Gnome Mplayer 1.0.2
Same problems I have been having trying to play a DVD movie.
Made no improvement.
Like before it plays the movie, but has a lot of minor bugs.
It's usable, but not anyway as good as Xine DVD player.

Besides didn't you go to Gnome Mplayer 1.0.3 for other improvements?
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#287 Post by playdayz »

Tried Gnome Mplayer 1.0.2
Same problems
Bigpup, Yes, it's frustrating. I am considering removing all of the DVD options from the gnome-mplayer menu. That way people would have to use XineDVD (or smplayer, vlc, etc.).

Gnome-mplayer 1.0.5 will need a newer version of glib than Lucid 5.2.8 has--not much help there. I might email Kevin the developer and ask how to fix the CD problem in 1.0.4.

Could you test this 1.0.4 if you have a chance? The CD playback doesn't work, but perhaps you could see if it handled DVD's better than 1.0.3. I tested just a bit and it did seem to handle the menus better. Thanks.

rjbrewer

#288 Post by rjbrewer »

I've never seen any version of Mplayer that plays dvds'
correctly.
My favorite dvd won't even play in Xine dvd without freezing
or having sound issues on different machines.

Nothing comes close to Ogle dvd (Wary) for dvd playback.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ASRI éducation

#289 Post by ASRI éducation »

Edit : sorry, the problem below is only on my puplet. Lucid528 icons are ok.

------------------
@ playdayz
wallpaper GUI: two missing icons (see screenshot and tar.gz).
Attachments
wallpaper_icons.png
(119.79 KiB) Downloaded 1635 times
wallpaper_icons.tar.gz
(2.5 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

playdayz

#290 Post by playdayz »

Nothing comes close to Ogle dvd (Wary) for dvd playback.
Hey rjb, We think that the default media player ought to do at least a decent job on everything--mainly because new users probably expect that--reasonably imho. gnome-mplayer does A+ on videos I think, good on cd's, but not as good as we would like on dvd's. We do have XineDVD now, and clicking on the icon of a dvd opens XineDVD. I will check ogle. I notice that Barry has offered prize money for a nice shiny new gui for ogle--imho that would be money well spent. Thanks.

bigpup

#291 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Could you test this 1.0.4 if you have a chance? The CD playback doesn't work, but perhaps you could see if it handled DVD's better than 1.0.3. I tested just a bit and it did seem to handle the menus better. Thanks.
Well, for DVD movies it is improving. 1.0.4 i would say is good and better than 1.0.2 or 1.0.3.
Still has some minor issues, but would not keep someone from using it for DVD movies. For the most part it works OK.
The big issue is you need to use the DVD menu screen in reduced size for it to look OK when selecting.

In one install of lucid 5.2.8. with the "Super Multimedia Upgrade pack" installed. After going back and forth removing and installing different versions of Gnome Mplayer. Using 1.0.3 or 1.0.4.
Big issue was menu selection pointers showing in movie while playing.
Found I could stop movie, then hit play, and they would not show anymore.

Another thing I installed the Gnome Mplayer 1.0.4 pet in a fresh install of Lucid 5.2.8 and the menu selection pointers where not showing in the movie, but when you look at the menu you had no pointers just shaded rectangles over a menu item when you pointed at it with mouse.

Overall it is improving. 1.0.4 is better than 1.0.3 for DVD movies.
YaPI(any iso installer)

corianspirit

bootflash

#292 Post by corianspirit »

About Lucid 5.2.8 , Great job for finally solving the "cannot boot from usb flash without harddisk". The latest Woof is really great.

I just want to report that it can work flawlessly for ALL COMPUTER THAT CAN BOOT FROM USB only if you format the usb flash using "bootflash USB installer" thus using the whole usb flash and fat32 format.

If you use "universal USB installer" or try to change the partition in any way, then the usb will either not boot at all or the old problem reappear or it will only work in a very few modern computer.

BTW, maybe it is better if this forum in sorted from the latest date first ??

playdayz

#293 Post by playdayz »

I just want to report that it can work flawlessly for ALL COMPUTER THAT CAN BOOT FROM USB only if you format the usb flash using "bootflash USB installer" thus using the whole usb flash and fat32 format.
That is not my experience. Actually I test using gparted to format the usb drive, usually ext4, and then use Puppy Universal Installer to install Puppy.

I have also tested using bootflash--but with that I found one usb drive that would not work unless I first wiped it with gparted.
The big issue is you need to use the DVD menu screen in reduced size for it to look OK when selecting.
I will pass this on to Kevin, and the other points. Thanks.

bigpup

#294 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
That is not my experience. Actually I test using gparted to format the usb drive, usually ext4, and then use Puppy Universal Installer to install Puppy.

I have also tested using bootflash--but with that I found one usb drive that would not work unless I first wiped it with gparted.
Playdayz,
There are some computers that will not boot from a USB flash drive that is not formatted in Fat 16 or Fat 32.
Probably ones who's bios was written around the time USB booting was implemented. Or because the standard thing by manufactures is to format a USB flash drive VFat and that is what the bios expects.
5 or 6 years ago USB booting was a magical new feature.
I have one of these computers. It will only recognize a bootable flash drive if formatted FAT 16 or 32.
YaPI(any iso installer)

photor

Re: two bugs

#295 Post by photor »

photor wrote:I report two bugs (Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 with Instant Update 001):
1. The "Music Player" and "Search" in "Default-Programs-Chooser" don't work (always left blank what ever you chose last time).
2. The "Pudd copy drive/partition" doesn't work for drive copy (popup the "Usage for Xdialog" after click "Choose drive").
No one has the same problem???

bigpup

Re: two bugs

#296 Post by bigpup »

photor wrote:
photor wrote:I report two bugs (Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 with Instant Update 001):
1. The "Music Player" and "Search" in "Default-Programs-Chooser" don't work (always left blank what ever you chose last time).
2. The "Pudd copy drive/partition" doesn't work for drive copy (popup the "Usage for Xdialog" after click "Choose drive").
No one has the same problem???
Where is the "default programs chooser"?

"Pudd copy drive/partition" drive copy option will only work on drives not mounted. If you have no unmounted drives, copy selection will come up blank for selections.
I can use the copy option, with no problem, on a drive not mounted.
The best way to use this program is from a Live Puppy CD, using boot option puppy pfix=ram.
This keeps any drive from being mounted except the CD drive.
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

Re: bootflash

#297 Post by nooby »

corianspirit wrote:About Lucid 5.2.8 , Great job for finally solving the "cannot boot from usb flash without harddisk". The latest Woof is really great.

If you use "universal USB installer" or try to change the partition in any way, then the usb will either not boot at all or the old problem reappear or it will only work in a very few modern computer.

Yes maybe it is very hardware dependent? I don't dare to test.

I sure have a computer without a hd now so would be easy to test but I hate to fail at things.
That computer is a AOpen Barebone MZ915 with intel chips.

Maybe too different and too new? Built 2003 or so?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#298 Post by playdayz »

I have one of these computers. It will only recognize a bootable flash drive if formatted FAT 16 or 32.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I have also tested bootflash with Lucid-528. Ah, I see, so corianspirit is correct for those older machines. I finally understand why we have bootflash.

Nooby's 2003 computer should work with bootflash at least then, and with gparted and puppy Universal Installer and a linux file system if we are lucky.

There's no need to test Nooby. I am reasonably confident about that. Please consider putting your testing time into Slacko now ;-)

bigpup

#299 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
bigpup wrote:I have one of these computers. It will only recognize a bootable flash drive if formatted FAT 16 or 32.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I have also tested bootflash with Lucid-528. Ah, I see, so corianspirit is correct for those older machines. I finally understand why we have bootflash.

Nooby's 2003 computer should work with bootflash at least then, and with gparted and puppy Universal Installer and a linux file system if we are lucky.

There's no need to test Nooby. I am reasonably confident about that. Please consider putting your testing time into Slacko now ;-)
Some added info about my computer.
It is a 2007 year made Dell.
If I format a flash drive with a Linux format and install Puppy. It will boot Puppy, but you have to boot using a boot-loader like Grub.
It will not boot as a bootable flash drive.
Bios does not see drive as bootable operating system.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nancy reagan

Re: bootflash

#300 Post by nancy reagan »

corianspirit wrote: If you use "universal USB installer" or try to change the partition in any way, then the usb will either not boot at all or the old problem reappear or it will only work in a very few modern computer.

Did you ever try the great PLOP bootmanager ?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67379