Slacko Beta 1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rodin.s

#271 Post by rodin.s »

01micko wrote:rodin.s ...Your little app broke my keyboard!
All you have to do - uninstall the package and run xorgwizard again.

Stripe

#272 Post by Stripe »

hi all

mick thanks for the driver, will download and try it now :lol:

please take it easy and try to not get to stressed out :wink: ,

don

01micko

#273 Post by 01micko »

Hi Stripe .. let us know how you get on.. when I installed and did "xwin" I got blk-sod! Hard reboot and it was ok.. therefore I now instruct in the pinstall.sh to reboot at the commandline, straight after you run "aticonfig --initial". I will write a little proggy in dialog to automate this somewhat, for those too eager to write stuff down!

BTW, no stress :wink: .. if B2 isn't out today it will be one day :lol: (the little "p*ssed off" thing was a friendly dig at Barry, no malice intended, see gtkdialog cutting edge forum for the gist of it)

________

This is just a note to self really as I want this recorded for future reference.

The init script is optimised such that usb-storage is compiled into the kernel. 2.6.37.6 that has been shipping with Slacko alphas and beta1 has not got this feature, usb-storage is a module that gets loaded. So far this has still been working great, but in my pre-beta2 testing I am getting a 10 second wait for usb-storage to load. Intriguing. Naturally I thought something may have been changed in the init script so I did a diff bettween B1 init and B2-pre1 init, identical, that is no diff! The key I think is in that I built B2-pre1 with no z_drv. Why would this make a difference? I don't know! But soon I'll do a B2-pre2 build with a z_drv to see if that is actually the issue.. I can't see it being anything else.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

MinHundHettePerro

#274 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:(the little "p*ssed off" thing was a friendly dig at ...
Just anocdotal to the p***ed off statements (I learnt the hard way, but probably learnt somethin' ;)).

For the past few days I've been working on a rather large gtkdialog application in slacko-499.1. And I banged my head on my monitor over not getting why some icons were amiss in the menu. Found the correct syntax out by trial and error (took a long time).
Just imagine how p***ed off I was with myself for not reading the gtkdialog dev-thread, where the correct syntax was just explained, before going on this bang-head-trial-and-err bash :shock:.

Cheers :)/MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Stripe

#275 Post by Stripe »

hi all

a slight problem, when the pet was installed and rebooted (no problem) the ati control center tried to alter the view of streamed video (removing black lines at top and bottom of screen) causing tearing of the video (even when played minimised in the browser). i tried all of the settings in the control center to no avail.

it could have been maxing the cpu's out as well (using Pwidgets so hardly sientific) but the frequency of the c-50 dual core chip is only 1000mhz

solution: exited to prompt and ran xorgwizard choosing the fglrx driver

rebooted and the video problems were gone (bloody flash)

ran lspci -v in terminal and found that the video drivers being used were:

kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
kernel modules: fglrx

now if you try to run the ati control centre it gives an error message that the amd graphics driver is not installed or not working properly. but we know the driver is installed :?

video quality is now improved and I can live without the ati control centre.

hope this helps
stripe

I have been watching the gtkdialog thread and know what you are on about.

01micko

#276 Post by 01micko »

I finally got round to compiling nvidia-280.. will be available in B2 (impatients can get it now at ibilio, pet_packages-slacko)

Man have I found some bugs! No lsmod!!! That may have caused the slow usb loading. Understandable though.. this version of Woof has had the biggest overhaul since Barry started Woof in late 2008 early 2009.

I'm going to get beta2 out the door soon, there are some things that aren't fixed, but I want a cross section of what is fixed for others and what isn't. The goal posts have shifted, so things like synaptics and PPPoE will be dealt with slightly differently (fingers crossed the bugs magically disappear..... :lol: .. who am I kidding?)

Overall I think it's looking pretty good. Xcb is fixed, the new Slacko artwork is in, some changes to jwm themes, gtk-theming, icons. Same wall tho :P ... (hehe.. gives me an idea actually ). Still have the JWM pixman bug... does that worry anyone apart from Sigmund?

____

EDIT:
Ah.. my dear old friend synaptics... um comment all the settings in your xorg.conf?

Can some of you Lappy fellows(or Ladies) test that theory? Works on my son's. His is "synaptics" but there are Elantch and Alps (I think my EEE is Elantech :? )

BEFORE

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "Synaptics Mouse"
	Driver "synaptics"
	Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option "LeftEdge" "60"
        Option "RightEdge" "1070"
        Option "TopEdge" "90"
        Option "BottomEdge" "680"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
        Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
        Option "MaxTapMove" "59"
        Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
        Option "MinSpeed" "0.75"
        Option "MaxSpeed" "1.00"
        Option "AccelFactor" "0.16"
        Option "SHMConfig" "on"
        Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
EndSection
AFTER

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "Synaptics Mouse"
	Driver "synaptics"
	Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        #Option "LeftEdge" "60"
        #Option "RightEdge" "1070"
        #Option "TopEdge" "90"
        #Option "BottomEdge" "680"
        #Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
        #Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
        #Option "MaxTapMove" "59"
        #Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
        #Option "MinSpeed" "0.75"
        #Option "MaxSpeed" "1.00"
        #Option "AccelFactor" "0.16"
        #Option "SHMConfig" "on"
        #Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
        #Option "TapButton1" "1"
EndSection
EDIT: NO... it breaks flsynclient :roll:

Stripe

#277 Post by Stripe »

hi all

got my volume icon working by editing the root/.retrovolrc file inside the sfs as the one on the desktop would not save any changes

:oops: guess who forgot to check if it was write enabled :oops:

will try that now :lol:

stripe

01micko

#278 Post by 01micko »

Oh dear MMHP! [ :lol: ]

But now it's your turn to laugh... I have been banging my head for a couple of hours now why my 2 intel lappies (eee and HP) weren't using the xorg i915 driver.. ugh.. Turns out that Barry's new woof feature (at my request :roll: ) for enabling or disabling KMS is busted! :cry: . Once I made the file i915.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/ I could use the intel driver :oops:

I have a really, really gross work around for touch pads.. but as I said it breaks flsynclient. I may have to use it though as it does work. It puts the synaptics stuff in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synaptics.conf and then that overrides the default rubbish in xorg.conf. For some reason the $HOME/.flSynclient file seems not to be read .. unless you comment that stuff (re earlier post). This wont be fixed for beta2, I'll post the work-around though for those who need it. I'm going to upload B2 soon, now I got the real showstoppers out the way.

EDIT: just fixed the 3builddistro bug for KMS.... um missing "$"

charlie6

#279 Post by charlie6 »

Hi mick,
just a reminder: did not found the gv script in slacko beta1
(see post in spup 312.37 thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8ed0ea2320 )

Slacko beta1 runs nice on:
- pc with intel PIV Fuji-Siemens with 82845G Brookdale (TFT or CRT screen - happened just once: got a stripped display together with menu text missing using a "samsung syncmaster 913v" upon starting GnomePlayer....could not reproduce it afterwards...)
- pc with intel PIII compaq 600MHz with 82815 video chip (rescued from scrap..);
- laptop Medion LT9399 intel PIII 600MHz 192MBRam (owned by december 2000) (boot OK from live-cd; only have to manually set the graphic driver to Siliconmotion and the display resolution); installed on frugal install and works OK).

all the best! :-)
Charlie

01micko

#280 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Charlie!

It made it in to beta2

Cheers!

nooby

#281 Post by nooby »

01micko wrote:the xorg i915 driver.. ugh.. Turns out that Barry's new woof feature (at my request :roll: ) for enabling or disabling KMS is busted! :cry: . Once I made the file i915.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/ I could use the intel driver :oops: ..."

Mick hope it is okay to ask. So should one use this then on the kernel line?

i915.modeset=1

How does one know what modeset to use? or to not use it? Just me curious. Now I use it just in case it is needed but have no clue if it is.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though