Slacko Beta 1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#256 Post by James C »

bigpup wrote:
Stripe wrote:hi all

cant get my laptop to boot slacko, I get as far as testing the driver clicking on ok and the machine freezes with a black screen, have tried probe as well as vesa (which works in the lucid pups) but still get the same problem.

how would I find which graphics the machine is using so that I could try and get the right driver

cheers
stripe
I was under the impression that the Vesa video driver would work with any video card. So far that has held true for me.
It uses the basic video capability built into the video card.
The most common problem with Vesa driver is trying to use a resolution setting that the driver can not handle.
It only works with basic resolution settings.
640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, etc....
Maybe most but certainly not all. Just put a new mobo,with onboard Nvidia graphics,on my old AMD dual-core box about a month ago and Vesa mostly just refuses to start X or if it starts X it'll freeze the computer solid before I can get a Nvidia driver installed.

Works fine with the "nouveau" driver ootb so I've been running FatDog. :)

Stripe

#257 Post by Stripe »

hi all

a couple of bits more of hardware info

chip: amd dual core c-50
graphics: amd radeon hd 6250

bigpup I am supprised that vesa did not work as it works with lucid 528 on the same machine

jamesc I have never had much luck with nouveau and nvidia graphics

cheers
stripe

nooby

#258 Post by nooby »

chip: amd dual core c-50
graphics: amd radeon hd 6250
Could it be that these companies have not given out code that works good with linux so the kernel devs have to work out by guess instead of having first hand knowlege? It is sad.

I wish very many was using linux and that each of us could pay for to set these codes free so all linux would work good on any hardware.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rodin.s

Russian keyboard fix

#259 Post by rodin.s »

01micko wrote:Any way you can think of to integrate your Russian keyboard fix to xorgwizard/countrywizard?
I usually put it into my langpack-pets. The script is executed in pinstall.sh and proper layout is set automatically and a person doesn't need to do manual setup with wizard. I also put a link to it in /root/Startup so if xorgwizard was executed and xorg.conf regenerated then proper layout is set automatically. I have changed the script a little so it could except language as a parameter but I don't know if it could be useful in other languages. If it's only for Russian then it's easy: locale detect in script in /root/Startup:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# Automatic xkblayout setup for Russian.
locale | grep -q ru
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
#fbxkb &  #could be used as indicator.
/usr/local/bin/xkblng ru
fi
exit 0 
Also fbxkb is used as a keyboard layout indicator.
Attachments
fbxkb-i486-w5-0.4.4.pet
This one is ready to use in Slacko. My scripts plus fbxkb. It has only 3 flags: us, ru, ua to save space. I can post the rest
(10.08 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
fbxkb-i486-w5-0.4.3.pet
Fbxkb with similar scripts. It sets up Ukrainian and Russian layouts. As an example.
(10.17 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
xkblng.gz
this one should be in /usr/local/bin
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 434 times

Stripe

#260 Post by Stripe »

:lol: :lol: yahoo :lol: :lol:

I am in

I got in by using xvesa instead of xorg with the vesa driver (even though that wouldnt work yesterday?? :? )

will play streamed video (flash) fullscreen at 480p no problem (starts to split/stutter at higher resolutions)

got the sound working by using playdayz's sound card wizard (had to choose the analog option), but it only has the master channel in alsamixer and the volume control in the taskbar does not work, so I am having to adjust the volume using alsamixer and the keyboard sound control does not work either. (it did with windoze 7 before I binned it)

is there a config file that could be edited to link the taskbar volume control to the master channel?

thanks for all the help
stripe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

01micko

#261 Post by 01micko »

Stripe wrote::lol: :lol: yahoo :lol: :lol:

I am in

I got in by using xvesa instead of xorg with the vesa driver (even though that wouldnt work yesterday?? :? )

will play streamed video (flash) fullscreen at 480p no problem (starts to split/stutter at higher resolutions)

got the sound working by using playdayz's sound card wizard (had to choose the analog option), but it only has the master channel in alsamixer and the volume control in the taskbar does not work, so I am having to adjust the volume using alsamixer and the keyboard sound control does not work either. (it did with windoze 7 before I binned it)

is there a config file that could be edited to link the taskbar volume control to the master channel?

thanks for all the help
stripe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Congratulations Stripe!

Now as for sound if you right click the retrovol icon in the tray hopefully you can play with the settings and get the volume icon to work as expected. The config file is at $HOME/.retrovolrc.

I still haven't done the latest AMD video driver yet, later today. Apparently (according to Raffy) it has support for your video card.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#262 Post by Stripe »

forgot to mention the wireless connected straight away with the simple network setup, and everything else seems to work out of the box.

and a big thank you to raffy as well

cheers
stripe

bigpup

#263 Post by bigpup »

James C wrote:Maybe most but certainly not all. Just put a new mobo,with onboard Nvidia graphics,on my old AMD dual-core box about a month ago and Vesa mostly just refuses to start X or if it starts X it'll freeze the computer solid before I can get a Nvidia driver installed.

Works fine with the "nouveau" driver ootb so I've been running FatDog. Smile
Look what Nvidia support says about Linux.
"Our advice to owners of NVIDIA GPUs running Linux is to use the VESA X driver from the time of Linux distribution installation until they can download and install the NVIDIA Linux driver from their distribution repositories or from nvidia.com."
Are you saying Vesa does not work on this motherboard Nvidia integrated graphics using Slacko Beta1?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#264 Post by 01micko »

:lol: :lol:
James C wrote:Works fine with the "nouveau" driver ootb so I've been running FatDog.
Part of the reason nouveau is removed is your reports James! It's in PPM :wink: .
bigpup wrote:Look what Nvidia support says about Linux.
"Our advice to owners of NVIDIA GPUs running Linux is to use the VESA X driver from the time of Linux distribution installation until they can download and install the NVIDIA Linux driver from their distribution repositories or from nvidia.com."
Typical. :roll: ... "nv" and "nouveau" are the enemy!

James C

#265 Post by James C »

bigpup wrote:
James C wrote:Maybe most but certainly not all. Just put a new mobo,with onboard Nvidia graphics,on my old AMD dual-core box about a month ago and Vesa mostly just refuses to start X or if it starts X it'll freeze the computer solid before I can get a Nvidia driver installed.

Works fine with the "nouveau" driver ootb so I've been running FatDog. Smile
Look what Nvidia support says about Linux.
Are you saying Vesa does not work on this motherboard Nvidia integrated graphics using Slacko Beta1?
Vesa does not work in any Puppy (lucid and pemasu's work in particular)on that mobo.Vesa might start X or it might not.If X does start the computer will generally freeze up fairly quickly.
Luckily, Slacko and Drake Pup default to the 'nv" driver which works well enough.

James C

#266 Post by James C »

01micko wrote::lol: :lol:
James C wrote:Works fine with the "nouveau" driver ootb so I've been running FatDog.
Part of the reason nouveau is removed is your reports James! It's in PPM :wink: .
Only hardware I have that needs nouveau. :lol: One mobo out of a bunch.
01micko wrote:
bigpup wrote:Look what Nvidia support says about Linux.
Typical. :roll: ... "nv" and "nouveau" are the enemy!
May just start using Intel graphics...... :lol:

nooby

#267 Post by nooby »

oooh it is that bad then. Whoah or what to say?
Hahah how do I know if I have it? I guess my HP/Compaq maybe make use of it? But my Acer is all Intel graphic? But problematic nevertheless.

Drivers is da shit or what them say. My body tells me to stop doing more testing I get too sad when I fail to get all the details.

Are there none else that do tests that have my gear?

Acer Netbook D250 screen 10" with Intel Atom single core CPU N270
and if you want it I can start up an Acer D255 screen 10" with Intel Atom single core CPU N450 if I remember but that fan is to onoisy so I have that computer as one to use in town on hotspots so it has no personal things on it. That way I hope to keep my main computer free from virus.

So what kind of tests do you need to be done on Slacko?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#268 Post by 01micko »

rodin.s

I have been playing with your app, cool.. I'll put it in.. but I think we need to elaborate on it a little :wink:

Cheers

01micko

#269 Post by 01micko »

rodin.s ...Your little app broke my keyboard! Oh well, I'll put it in PPM.

Stripe and Raffy.. I'm uploading the latest ATI/AMD/radeon pet right now.. (check ibiblio, pet_packages-slacko). It actually fixes a little annoying bug for me.

I was hoping to release Slacko beta 2 but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I have found bugs using the old gtkdialog! It's enough to p*ss a bloke off! The "install" icon on the desktop is broken.. call it with new gtkdialog and all is well.. go figure? (I think it's the Moose on the Loose bugfix for stdin :wink: ). We will have only one gtkdialog exec in Slacko, we have a few weeks to fix anything that's broken.. it was kind of the point of getting rid of gtkdialog2!

Also Barry has changed a lot in woof ..so my head is spinning.. starting to settle now.. be patient guys!

Cheers

DaveS

#270 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:It's enough to p*ss a bloke off!

Cheers
LOL!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rodin.s

#271 Post by rodin.s »

01micko wrote:rodin.s ...Your little app broke my keyboard!
All you have to do - uninstall the package and run xorgwizard again.

Stripe

#272 Post by Stripe »

hi all

mick thanks for the driver, will download and try it now :lol:

please take it easy and try to not get to stressed out :wink: ,

don

01micko

#273 Post by 01micko »

Hi Stripe .. let us know how you get on.. when I installed and did "xwin" I got blk-sod! Hard reboot and it was ok.. therefore I now instruct in the pinstall.sh to reboot at the commandline, straight after you run "aticonfig --initial". I will write a little proggy in dialog to automate this somewhat, for those too eager to write stuff down!

BTW, no stress :wink: .. if B2 isn't out today it will be one day :lol: (the little "p*ssed off" thing was a friendly dig at Barry, no malice intended, see gtkdialog cutting edge forum for the gist of it)

________

This is just a note to self really as I want this recorded for future reference.

The init script is optimised such that usb-storage is compiled into the kernel. 2.6.37.6 that has been shipping with Slacko alphas and beta1 has not got this feature, usb-storage is a module that gets loaded. So far this has still been working great, but in my pre-beta2 testing I am getting a 10 second wait for usb-storage to load. Intriguing. Naturally I thought something may have been changed in the init script so I did a diff bettween B1 init and B2-pre1 init, identical, that is no diff! The key I think is in that I built B2-pre1 with no z_drv. Why would this make a difference? I don't know! But soon I'll do a B2-pre2 build with a z_drv to see if that is actually the issue.. I can't see it being anything else.

MinHundHettePerro

#274 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:(the little "p*ssed off" thing was a friendly dig at ...
Just anocdotal to the p***ed off statements (I learnt the hard way, but probably learnt somethin' ;)).

For the past few days I've been working on a rather large gtkdialog application in slacko-499.1. And I banged my head on my monitor over not getting why some icons were amiss in the menu. Found the correct syntax out by trial and error (took a long time).
Just imagine how p***ed off I was with myself for not reading the gtkdialog dev-thread, where the correct syntax was just explained, before going on this bang-head-trial-and-err bash :shock:.

Cheers :)/MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Stripe

#275 Post by Stripe »

hi all

a slight problem, when the pet was installed and rebooted (no problem) the ati control center tried to alter the view of streamed video (removing black lines at top and bottom of screen) causing tearing of the video (even when played minimised in the browser). i tried all of the settings in the control center to no avail.

it could have been maxing the cpu's out as well (using Pwidgets so hardly sientific) but the frequency of the c-50 dual core chip is only 1000mhz

solution: exited to prompt and ran xorgwizard choosing the fglrx driver

rebooted and the video problems were gone (bloody flash)

ran lspci -v in terminal and found that the video drivers being used were:

kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
kernel modules: fglrx

now if you try to run the ati control centre it gives an error message that the amd graphics driver is not installed or not working properly. but we know the driver is installed :?

video quality is now improved and I can live without the ati control centre.

hope this helps
stripe

I have been watching the gtkdialog thread and know what you are on about.