Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 07:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Slacko Beta 1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 18 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
James C

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2011, 21:29    Post_subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Stripe wrote:
hi all

cant get my laptop to boot slacko, I get as far as testing the driver clicking on ok and the machine freezes with a black screen, have tried probe as well as vesa (which works in the lucid pups) but still get the same problem.

how would I find which graphics the machine is using so that I could try and get the right driver

cheers
stripe

I was under the impression that the Vesa video driver would work with any video card. So far that has held true for me.
It uses the basic video capability built into the video card.
The most common problem with Vesa driver is trying to use a resolution setting that the driver can not handle.
It only works with basic resolution settings.
640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, etc....

Maybe most but certainly not all. Just put a new mobo,with onboard Nvidia graphics,on my old AMD dual-core box about a month ago and Vesa mostly just refuses to start X or if it starts X it'll freeze the computer solid before I can get a Nvidia driver installed.

Works fine with the "nouveau" driver ootb so I've been running FatDog. Smile
Stripe

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:09    Post_subject:  

hi all

a couple of bits more of hardware info

chip: amd dual core c-50
graphics: amd radeon hd 6250

bigpup I am supprised that vesa did not work as it works with lucid 528 on the same machine

jamesc I have never had much luck with nouveau and nvidia graphics

cheers
stripe
nooby

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2011, 13:16    Post_subject:  

Quote:
chip: amd dual core c-50
graphics: amd radeon hd 6250

Could it be that these companies have not given out code that works good with linux so the kernel devs have to work out by guess instead of having first hand knowlege? It is sad.

I wish very many was using linux and that each of us could pay for to set these codes free so all linux would work good on any hardware.

rodin.s

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2011, 15:00    Post_subject: Russian keyboard fix  

01micko wrote:
Any way you can think of to integrate your Russian keyboard fix to xorgwizard/countrywizard?

I usually put it into my langpack-pets. The script is executed in pinstall.sh and proper layout is set automatically and a person doesn't need to do manual setup with wizard. I also put a link to it in /root/Startup so if xorgwizard was executed and xorg.conf regenerated then proper layout is set automatically. I have changed the script a little so it could except language as a parameter but I don't know if it could be useful in other languages. If it's only for Russian then it's easy: locale detect in script in /root/Startup:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Automatic xkblayout setup for Russian.
locale | grep -q ru
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
#fbxkb &  #could be used as indicator.
/usr/local/bin/xkblng ru
fi
exit 0

Also fbxkb is used as a keyboard layout indicator.
fbxkb-i486-w5-0.4.4.pet
Description  This one is ready to use in Slacko. My scripts plus fbxkb. It has only 3 flags: us, ru, ua to save space. I can post the rest
pet

Download 
Filename  fbxkb-i486-w5-0.4.4.pet 
Filesize  10.08 KB 
Downloaded  205 Time(s) 
fbxkb-i486-w5-0.4.3.pet
Description  Fbxkb with similar scripts. It sets up Ukrainian and Russian layouts. As an example.
pet

Download 
Filename  fbxkb-i486-w5-0.4.3.pet 
Filesize  10.17 KB 
Downloaded  187 Time(s) 
xkblng.gz
Description  this one should be in /usr/local/bin
gz

Download 
Filename  xkblng.gz 
Filesize  1.31 KB 
Downloaded  192 Time(s) 
Stripe

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2011, 18:22    Post_subject:  

Laughing Laughing yahoo Laughing Laughing

I am in

I got in by using xvesa instead of xorg with the vesa driver (even though that wouldnt work yesterday?? Confused )

will play streamed video (flash) fullscreen at 480p no problem (starts to split/stutter at higher resolutions)

got the sound working by using playdayz's sound card wizard (had to choose the analog option), but it only has the master channel in alsamixer and the volume control in the taskbar does not work, so I am having to adjust the volume using alsamixer and the keyboard sound control does not work either. (it did with windoze 7 before I binned it)

is there a config file that could be edited to link the taskbar volume control to the master channel?

thanks for all the help
stripe Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2011, 18:27    Post_subject:  

Stripe wrote:
Laughing Laughing yahoo Laughing Laughing

I am in

I got in by using xvesa instead of xorg with the vesa driver (even though that wouldnt work yesterday?? Confused )

will play streamed video (flash) fullscreen at 480p no problem (starts to split/stutter at higher resolutions)

got the sound working by using playdayz's sound card wizard (had to choose the analog option), but it only has the master channel in alsamixer and the volume control in the taskbar does not work, so I am having to adjust the volume using alsamixer and the keyboard sound control does not work either. (it did with windoze 7 before I binned it)

is there a config file that could be edited to link the taskbar volume control to the master channel?

thanks for all the help
stripe Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Congratulations Stripe!

Now as for sound if you right click the retrovol icon in the tray hopefully you can play with the settings and get the volume icon to work as expected. The config file is at $HOME/.retrovolrc.

I still haven't done the latest AMD video driver yet, later today. Apparently (according to Raffy) it has support for your video card.

Cheers!

Stripe

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2011, 18:44    Post_subject:  

forgot to mention the wireless connected straight away with the simple network setup, and everything else seems to work out of the box.

and a big thank you to raffy as well

cheers
stripe
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2011, 02:43    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
Maybe most but certainly not all. Just put a new mobo,with onboard Nvidia graphics,on my old AMD dual-core box about a month ago and Vesa mostly just refuses to start X or if it starts X it'll freeze the computer solid before I can get a Nvidia driver installed.

Look what Nvidia support says about Linux.
Quote:
"Our advice to owners of NVIDIA GPUs running Linux is to use the VESA X driver from the time of Linux distribution installation until they can download and install the NVIDIA Linux driver from their distribution repositories or from nvidia.com."

Are you saying Vesa does not work on this motherboard Nvidia integrated graphics using Slacko Beta1?

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2011, 03:02    Post_subject:  

Laughing Laughing

James C wrote:
Works fine with the "nouveau" driver ootb so I've been running FatDog.

Part of the reason nouveau is removed is your reports James! It's in PPM Wink .

bigpup wrote:
Quote:

"Our advice to owners of NVIDIA GPUs running Linux is to use the VESA X driver from the time of Linux distribution installation until they can download and install the NVIDIA Linux driver from their distribution repositories or from nvidia.com."

Typical. Rolling Eyes ... "nv" and "nouveau" are the enemy!

James C

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2011, 03:33    Post_subject:  

bigpup wrote:
James C wrote:

Quote:

Are you saying Vesa does not work on this motherboard Nvidia integrated graphics using Slacko Beta1?

Vesa does not work in any Puppy (lucid and pemasu's work in particular)on that mobo.Vesa might start X or it might not.If X does start the computer will generally freeze up fairly quickly.
Luckily, Slacko and Drake Pup default to the 'nv" driver which works well enough.
James C

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2011, 03:43    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
Laughing Laughing

James C wrote:
Works fine with the "nouveau" driver ootb so I've been running FatDog.

Part of the reason nouveau is removed is your reports James! It's in PPM Wink .

Only hardware I have that needs nouveau. Laughing One mobo out of a bunch.

01micko wrote:

bigpup wrote:
Quote:

Typical. Rolling Eyes ... "nv" and "nouveau" are the enemy!

May just start using Intel graphics...... Laughing
nooby

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2011, 04:29    Post_subject:  

oooh it is that bad then. Whoah or what to say?

Quote:

Hahah how do I know if I have it? I guess my HP/Compaq maybe make use of it? But my Acer is all Intel graphic? But problematic nevertheless.

Drivers is da shit or what them say. My body tells me to stop doing more testing I get too sad when I fail to get all the details.

Are there none else that do tests that have my gear?

Acer Netbook D250 screen 10" with Intel Atom single core CPU N270
and if you want it I can start up an Acer D255 screen 10" with Intel Atom single core CPU N450 if I remember but that fan is to onoisy so I have that computer as one to use in town on hotspots so it has no personal things on it. That way I hope to keep my main computer free from virus.

So what kind of tests do you need to be done on Slacko?

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2011, 06:37    Post_subject:  

rodin.s

I have been playing with your app, cool.. I'll put it in.. but I think we need to elaborate on it a little Wink

Cheers

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2011, 08:28    Post_subject:  

rodin.s ...Your little app broke my keyboard! Oh well, I'll put it in PPM.

Stripe and Raffy.. I'm uploading the latest ATI/AMD/radeon pet right now.. (check ibiblio, pet_packages-slacko). It actually fixes a little annoying bug for me.

I was hoping to release Slacko beta 2 but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I have found bugs using the old gtkdialog! It's enough to p*ss a bloke off! The "install" icon on the desktop is broken.. call it with new gtkdialog and all is well.. go figure? (I think it's the Moose on the Loose bugfix for stdin Wink ). We will have only one gtkdialog exec in Slacko, we have a few weeks to fix anything that's broken.. it was kind of the point of getting rid of gtkdialog2!

Also Barry has changed a lot in woof ..so my head is spinning.. starting to settle now.. be patient guys!

Cheers

DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2011, 08:32    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
It's enough to p*ss a bloke off!

Cheers

LOL!

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 18 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum