Slacko Beta 1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jades

#221 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Jades,, I'm going to remove the z_drv next version, see if it makes a difference. It may not to the performance of your kit though, that would be a kernel issue. These new kernels have lots of issue! :evil: :P
Playdayz may have told you that I can be a little picky on occasion. ;-) I knew that Slacko is using a different kernel to Lupu and Lucid so thought that was a possible complicating factor. To be honest, I'm probably being a little unfair comparing Slacko in its current state to Lupu given that the latter is a very mature version now and has had many months of testing and refinement.

Out of curiosity, I've been testing Slacko on my K6 and it's working surprisingly well. The only major issue I've noticed so far is that I can't play MP3s in either Pmusic or GNOME Mplayer. This is in common with Wary 51x and Lupu since about 520 - I suspect that the version of FFMPEG that's being used requires a minimum chipset type of i686 - trying to run FFMPEG from the task window generates an 'Illegal Instruction' error. The K6 2 500 is i586.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Stripe

#222 Post by Stripe »

hi all

@ Lob

I am using the flashplayer that you can download when you first run seamonkey and have had no problems. I presume it will be the latest edition but I have not noticed a version number for it.

hope this helps
stripe

666philb

#223 Post by 666philb »

One bug that's happening to me is the bootmanager isn't working. i get a message about one of my .sfs being of the wrong version so won't be displayed, but the bootmanager then never appears.
scratch that,!!! i've found that it's started doing the same thing in macpup and lucid. i think that i must have too many .sfs files in /mnt/home/ and reached some kind of limit.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

01micko

#224 Post by 01micko »

666philb.. how many have you got???

Does sfs_load find them all? [menu>setup>setup puppy>sfs_load] (It should support up to 500! :shock: )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Icyos

#225 Post by Icyos »

Hi All

I have a full install of the beta to a usb stick, have updated the repo's and very little will install from Slick Pet or Package manager, just hangs. After about 5 mins the reboot menu does nothing.

I have tried a few usb sticks now so I dont think its a hardware issue, just so you all know. I may do a video for you all so you can see visually what i mean ill post link here when available. Link http://youtu.be/R9cAdB0eScs

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#226 Post by Lobster »

I am using the flashplayer that you can download when you first run seamonkey and have had no problems. I presume it will be the latest edition but I have not noticed a version number for it.
That is good news. I am using the same flashplayer.
I have the ATI driver and a dual core processor that may be the cause (in combi with Flash).

Meanwhile . . . Mick has been compiling programs to populate the Slacko programs (Puppy Program Manager or PPM). So lots to try out. 8)

Tried some more of the softphones here but they needed extra libraries . . .
http://portablelinuxapps.org/network
Got video with skype - but no sound :roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#227 Post by 01micko »

Icyos wrote:Hi All

I have a full install of the beta to a usb stick, have updated the repo's and very little will install from Slick Pet or Package manager, just hangs. After about 5 mins the reboot menu does nothing.

I have tried a few usb sticks now so I dont think its a hardware issue, just so you all know. I may do a video for you all so you can see visually what i mean ill post link here when available. Link http://youtu.be/R9cAdB0eScs
Hi lcyos

Interesting (saw video :wink: ) ... forum member shinobar reported issues with installing pets on a USB install .. on 2 machines. They happen to have Marvell bridges.. does yours?

I have posted an alternate build of Slacko (The S Experiment) almost identical except the kernel (2.6.39.3, made by Barry). If you get the chance or have the bandwidth it would be interesting to see the result there.

Shino, if you read this, same for you :) .

Cheers
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Icyos

#228 Post by Icyos »

01micko wrote:
Icyos wrote:Hi All

Hi lcyos

Interesting (saw video :wink: ) ... forum member shinobar reported issues with installing pets on a USB install .. on 2 machines. They happen to have Marvell bridges.. does yours?

I have posted an alternate build of Slacko almost identical except the kernel (2.6.39.3, made by Barry). If you get the chance or have the bandwidth it would be interesting to see the result there.

Shino, if you read this, same for you :) .

Cheers
Hi many thanks will download and try now, both machines are Lenovo desktops A85's i think dont know if that helps or not.

nooby

#229 Post by nooby »

Where does one look for to know if one have Marwell or not. I recognize that name so maybe me have it too?
Could be on my AOpen or on the HP/Compaq or on the Packard Bell.

Haha poor memory but I know I have had Marwell but not remember where. Hard info says Intel all over the place on this computer
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Icyos

#230 Post by Icyos »

Hi 01micko

Downloaded the version 2 iso, did a clean install to usb stick, works sweet as a nut no issues at all, shutdown is also very responsive. Firewall will not turn on and graphics will only work in vesa mode, just so you know.

Dont know what u did but its fab many thanks indeed. Will do a video when i have time for you.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#231 Post by Lobster »

nooby wrote:Where does one look for to know if one have Marwell or not.
try
lspci
on the command line
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

nooby

#232 Post by nooby »

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0)
#

What would life be without CLI capability :) One only have to learn how to use it. Oh Dear!

Yes thanks then I trust it is either on my AOpen or on the Packard Bell.
I am pretty sure I saw it each time me booted on some computer I used some three years ago.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

666philb

#233 Post by 666philb »

01micko wrote:666philb.. how many have you got???

Does sfs_load find them all? [menu>setup>setup puppy>sfs_load] (It should support up to 500! :shock: )
i'm not at my computer at the mo. But i have about 40ish .sfs files in /mnt/home/ this has only recently happened. And as i said is happening in my other puppy's as well. If it's not some kind of upper limit for the boot manager, maybe there's a dodgy sfs in there.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Stripe

#234 Post by Stripe »

hi all

just tried #free and got the following results,

mem:

total: 3375104
used: 336512
free: 308592
shared: 0
buffers: 34892

I get exactly the same results with the s experiment

machine has 4gb ram with on board graphics

I thought the kernel would not recognize/use this amount of ram or has 01micko worked his magic again.

confused (again) :roll:
stripe

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#235 Post by Lobster »

In the new sound wizard
/usr/sbin/alsawizard
aplay does not play sounds with the extention .au
change the extension to .wav (a nearly identical file exists) and it plays
like so . . .
line 38

Code: Select all

<vbox><button><input file>${AUDIOICON}</input><action>/usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav & </action></button></vbox>
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#236 Post by 01micko »

Stripe..
I thought the kernel would not recognize/use this amount of ram or has 01micko worked his magic again.
No magic, up to 3.5 gig of RAM should be ok.. incidentally I am not a fan of PAE.. if your gear is capable use a 64bit OS :wink:

Lobster..
aplay does not play sounds with the extention .au
change the extension to .wav (a nearly identical file exists) and it plays
like so . . [snip](some aplay stuff)[/snip]
Not entirely true. Some low quality DOTau files certainly do not play with aplay. This is because of the introduction of alsaequal. I have reported it to the developers but as yet no response. A higher quality (say 16bit) DOTau file should play just fine. Also. wavplay is still there in Slacko. It will play 2barks.au, that's what I have called at system startup as a work-a-round. :roll:

HTH

tasmod

#237 Post by tasmod »

Firewallstate

A pet of v2.0 posted in additional software, network.

Fixes ON/OFF selection
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

Stripe

#238 Post by Stripe »

01micko wrote: No magic, up to 3.5 gig of RAM should be ok.. incidentally I am not a fan of PAE.. if your gear is capable use a 64bit OS :wink:
I prefer the basic striped down feel you have created with slacko and at the moment it seems to have the edge in performance. (and I like it :lol: )

thanks to Mick, Barry and everybody else for all their hard work

stripe

edited to add: Mick I know you are very busy at the moment but playdayz is keen to see a woof built 64bit puppy, perhaps that could be the next step for slacko? (just an idea for the future)

bigpup

#239 Post by bigpup »

Pburn has just been updated to version 3.3.5
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#240 Post by 01micko »

Stripe wrote:Mick I know you are very busy at the moment but playdayz is keen to see a woof built 64bit puppy, perhaps that could be the next step for slacko? (just an idea for the future)
Yes.. that would be great! I won't have time for awhile but when I do Woof64 will be somewhere near the top of that list. :wink:

__

Thanks Rob and bigpup for heads-up.