RexBang & 5.31 Spot Fully Loaded Ready To Go For The Masses

News, happenings
cthisbear

#31 Post by cthisbear »

" and all I got was a 31 mb file... "

The same here.

Is this the new unannounced Micro version?????

Chris.

Icyos

#32 Post by Icyos »

calexand wrote:Hi,
Just tried to dl the 5.28 Loaded from the link posted on your YouTube channel and all I got was a 31 mb file...
Any others reporting such problems or did I miss something?
TIA,
CA
#

Hi no due to a family issue the iso has not been posted on the ftp site, it will be up there today for you apologies for the delay.

cthisbear

#33 Post by cthisbear »

Downloaded twice.

Fails to finish booting.

Downloads matched each other.
Burnt to rewritable cd.

Then tried usb.
Same result.

I suspect that the upload was faulty.
Anyone else had a similar issue.

" due to a family issue "
And with all due respect Icyos, I would understand that family
comes first mate.

Unhappy campers are second in line.

Regards and best wishes....Chris.

calexand

#34 Post by calexand »

I agree, family must come first. Thanks for your work on these Puppies!

Icyos

#35 Post by Icyos »

cthisbear wrote:Downloaded twice.

Fails to finish booting.

Downloads matched each other.
Burnt to rewritable cd.

Then tried usb.
Same result.

I suspect that the upload was faulty.
Anyone else had a similar issue.

" due to a family issue "
And with all due respect Icyos, I would understand that family
comes first mate.

Unhappy campers are second in line.

Regards and best wishes....Chris.
Hi mate thanks for info will check it out today meself, and family issue was my 84 year old dad falling and breakling his hip, which resulted in an operation, ill check iso out today and advise.

Icyos

#36 Post by Icyos »

Hi

Yes I have downloaded iso and burned it to a cd and there is a problem my apologies ill take the iso down and try to fix this over the weekend and repost the iso on Tuesday.

Thanks for the info and again my apologies.

eternal-sunshine

#37 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Hello Icyos,
Firstly I hope your father is making a good recovery and I wish him well.

Naturally his welfare is your first priority but I was wondering if you could let us know if you intend to resume work on RexBang in the future or if you have decided not to continue. It did seem an interesting project.

Best wishes

Icyos

#38 Post by Icyos »

eternal-sunshine wrote:Hello Icyos,
Firstly I hope your father is making a good recovery and I wish him well.

Naturally his welfare is your first priority but I was wondering if you could let us know if you intend to resume work on RexBang in the future or if you have decided not to continue. It did seem an interesting project.

Best wishes
Hi Yes of course I will stay with the project as I am the only child my parents need me at the mo, however my youtube site and my list of stuff to do are as big as ever and when I am able to resume belive me I will.

I am also working on a Puppy Linux Lucid version designed for all your social and internet needs which is light but uses the internet for all its applications based around Google, or Windows Live. My first release is available on my Youtube Site and I will aim to develop this release to the max for people who want full functionality without the builk.

eternal-sunshine

#39 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Hi Icyos,
Thanks for letting us know this will continue.
Will look on YouTube now.
My best wishes to you and your folk.

Icyos

#40 Post by Icyos »

eternal-sunshine wrote:Hi Icyos,
Thanks for letting us know this will continue.
Will look on YouTube now.
My best wishes to you and your folk.
Many Thanks and at 48 I dont feel like a child lol my parents still see me as one giggle.

FreQ

#41 Post by FreQ »

Hello Icyos mate !

I've really been enjoying your RexBang version for a while now, and i wanted to use your 5.2.8 Fully Loaded version as a base for a new PC i got myself recently.
So far i had been able to find all the answers to my questions on Puppy here on the forums, or thanks to your "wicked videos" (they really are!)
But i can't seem to be able to find your 528 .iso anywhere, so i thought i'd ask this time around : is it still available somewhere ? Or what happened with this version ?

Of course i know about your Slacko spin, but i'm feeling more comfortable keeping on using the Lucid repos i know for now, as i have no experience what so ever with Slackware ...
Unless you strongly advise me make the jump to 5.3.1 ?
I'm really opened to any suggestions from you guys, i just wanted to set up this new machine with latest Puppy, i'm thinking why 5.2.5 when 5.2.8 has been out for a while and the machine is capable
Another one: would i be able to upgrade your RexBang to 5.2.8 on my 1st PC ?

Also wanted to take the time and thank you a lot for your wonderful work, it is indeed really appreciated !
Looking forward to hear from you
Cheers

FreQ (from France)

Icyos

#42 Post by Icyos »

Hi Buddy

Many thanks for the kind words of praise I am so happy the videos helped you and even more happy that you use Puppy Linux, in my humble opinion it really is the best operating system available.

Ok now for your questions, I only have me 5.25 and 5.31 remasters available for download as 5.28 has so much available me remaster would be a gig in size and the Puppy community would kill me......giggles.

I would suggest you stay with 5.28 if .........you have no new hardware and you see no reason to jump to Slacko.

You will have to download 5.28 and add the software yourself but it wont take you long just remember to install stuff in the right order.

If you can give me an outline of what you do in Puppy I may be able to whip you a 5.28 build up, just post on here or inbox me on youtube.

Finally once again many thanks for using the best operating system there is its nice to see other people really enjoying their computers.

FreQ

#43 Post by FreQ »

Well, thanks for the quick reply mate!

Maybe i got it wrong, what about this version? Never came out? You took it out?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Zug2dp ... _2uti2tqz6

What i really enjoy about your versions is the default apps installed and setups (browser with flash, java, choice of thunar, openbox settings ...)
I basically fell in love with the openbox-thunar-tint2-conky i have set up in RexBang now so i wanted to recreate something like that on my new Asus Eee 1015PN (full install on hard drive) but with 5.2.8 as a base

But sure i guess i can use 5.2.8-004 and work my way from there to teach myself even more on Puppy.
OR the Three Headed Dog ? Not sure i really understand what the kernel from Slacko brings to the table, what do you reckon for my atom based Eee?

Also, i just booted Slacko and it seems to run very fine on that Eee.
In the end i'm afraid i'm still undecided, do i gain anything really significant going for Slacko because it's the latest? Generally how do Slack's repos compare with Lucid's?

I know that's a bunch of questions but it's the state i'm at right now. At 32, i'm always been a heavy computer user but never so much into hardware-specs-tweaking, i like when it just works so i meself can work :)

So thanks again for the time and effort you spend sharing your knowledge!
And finally, you don't need to convince me anymore Puppy is the best OS, i'm already hooked and trying my best to spread the word around me!

Cheers

Icyos

#44 Post by Icyos »

Hi

Well what can I say, you make me very happy indeed, anyway to your questions, 5.28 Lucid is very mature and has a large Ubuntu software repo making it ideal for hardware of 2 years old or older (just my opinion), very easy to use and very reliable, however I recommend not upgrading it to 004 just use original version on download and dont update it.

Slacko I love so much cause its i686 optimised and works with the latest wireless cards, also the pae version sees me 8Gb of ram on me 64bit laptop, 5.28 cant.

To sum up if you want a really slick fast system, with libreoffice, skype, watching dvd's, Internet, etc go for Slacko 5.31.

If you want more than that, screen casting, video editing, programming etc go with Lucid she is a fine build.

If you would like a 5.28 remaster ill have a bash at one tomorrow for you, but it would be nice for you to pm me with your remaster for me to download......how kewl would that be.

FreQ

#45 Post by FreQ »

Why not upgrading 004 with 5.2.8?
About a remaster that's very nice of you, but as i said, i like when it works, so my current setup is pretty much Rexbang with just a few modifications
My first idea was something like "5.2.8 fully loaded"
Cheers anyway