Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

Re: Transparent Taskbar in Openbox

#391 Post by Billtoo »

playdayz wrote:Transparent Taskbar in Openbox

The taskbar in Openbox (default window manager) was supposed to be transparent in 3HD and Lucid, but somewhere along the line something got screwed up. Here is the fix. The taskbar, or panel, is provided by fbpanel and this program pfbpanel had a bad value for the "alpha" or transparency. Download the pet and then click it to install. (Or you can download, right-click and Extract Here, then move pfbpanel to /usr/sbin/pfbpanel.)
It's already transparent on my install, I haven't installed the fix, unless the seamonkey part should be transparent too?

EDIT: I applied the fix and restarted x, it is more transparent now I think.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 1581 times
image-1.jpg
(8.63 KiB) Downloaded 1590 times

playdayz

#392 Post by playdayz »

It's already transparent on my install, I haven't installed the fix, unless the seamonkey part should be transparent too?

EDIT: I applied the fix and restarted x, it is more transparent now I think.
Yes, with the fix it should be fully transparent (but not the Seamonkey "button").

sszindian

3-headed dog

#393 Post by sszindian »

(Three Headed Dog) Luci-001.003

Since there are several 'technical' testers doing a great job and currently there doesn't seem to be any serious issues with this build, I decided to now test this version as a 'NEW USER' just coming to Puppy would experience...

First off loaded pfix=ram so all would be fresh... on a Dell Pentium 4, 700+ RAM.

(1) Everything booted fine, eth0 internet automatically established itself... looking good!

(2) Clicked on 'browse' and selected Seamonky as my browser choice... got a report that Internet Connection Could NOT Be Established... and that was BEFORE offering a site to download from, tried several times, same thing... bummer!

(3) Selected Iron as my next choice... no problem and it downloaded from my selected site of ibiblio.

OK... now we're going.

(4) Downloaded a few programs from various places, no problem. Downloaded & installed packages from the PPM, no problem.

(5) Tested most of the programs Luci offered and didn't encounter any problems there, they just work.

(6) All in all, this is without doubt a very good choice of a Puppy for a NEW USER.

(7) Now on the tricky side... I put the CD with the new Luci on it in my old IBM Model: T22 512MB RAM Notebook... Again a pfx=ram install. Luci to my surprise loaded right up. Everything I tested worked as it should... The last Puppy that did that was version 520. This T22 is one-picky-machine. I expect that this new version is going to be a 'Cracker-Jax' for older computers!!!

Overall... very nice and a 'good job' playdayz!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Dpup

Three Headed Dog Version 3 Video Apps

#394 Post by Dpup »

Testing video apps on 3HD version 3 after failing to make any of my favorite video editing apps work on any version of Slacko Puppy for my new Laptop with I7 Quad CPU and not getting any response to my inquiry on multimedia section on possible fixes from anyone who did or could suggest fixes.

Installed on 3HD version 3 of March 5th, USB boot, Avidemux, JRE runtime, Jubler subtitler. works really great processing Canon HD video files right off the camera. Includes cut, join, fade in, out, transition, sharpen, color correction, resize, adjust audio, insert multiple subtitles along timeline with Jubler, create and use custom presets for transcoding full screen, smooth video on Android Gingerbread CM7 dual book Nook Color as well as large screen TV and much more. Also testing Cinelerra video editor and this USB boot set on several other lower end laptops.

Thanks, and keep up the great work on 3HD... !!!

ETP

Three-Headed Dog Version 3 Updated ISO MAR 5, 2012 - Luci-00

#395 Post by ETP »

playdayz

Rather than my usual manual frugal install to flash I elected instead for a multi-session DVD. Despite the current absence of any internal hard discs in my system the install went as smooth as silk with 1280 x1024 (vesa), working sound & ethernet via DHCP. This was a problem free process and is to be recommended for new users. A ready made live DVD is also handy for everyone to have for the day when your H/D or flash drive suddenly dies!

The following pets were installed and transparency in Openbox was first confirmed.

=== /root/.packages/user-installed-packages ===

Chromium-18-Lucid|Browse the Web
getflash-0.5|GetFlash Install Flashplayer
flashplayer
nvidia-285.05.09-k2.6.37.6-s|Configure NVIDIA X Server Settings
pfbpanel_transparent|pfbpanel for transparency
fontwizard|Configure fonts for LCD
Stardust|
icewm-1.3.7pre2-L519-lucid|Icewm window manager
news-0.5.0-0|GTK-based highly graphically-customizable RSS Ticker
PupShutdown-1.7.5|PupShutdown manager

Thanks for updating this very polished problem free derivative.

Link to full size image - http://postimage.org/image/xgh8yn7a3/
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

sszindian

Firmware Up-Dates

#396 Post by sszindian »

playdayz:

It appears we need the firmware up-dates that pemasu complied and put in Exprimo and Racy for wlan0 (wifi) to work in Luci with the rt2800, etc., modules. Any chance???

>>>---Indian------>

playdayz

#397 Post by playdayz »

firmware up-dates that pemasu complied and put in Exprimo and Racy for wlan0 (wifi) to work in Luci with the rt2800
It's possible of course sszinidan. Do you have more info or a link? I know only of the firmware upgrades that pemasu prepared for the 3.x kernel. Thanks.

sszindian

Oh Boy!!!

#398 Post by sszindian »

playdays wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------
It's possible of course sszinidan. Do you have more info or a link? I know only of the firmware upgrades that pemasu prepared for the 3.x kernel. Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm... forgot about that 3.X kernel-specific thingy :(

No... I wouldn't know where to begin, only thing that comes to mind is jemimah... I believe she had a 37 kernel in Saluki before the new 3.2.8 whether or not she had the new firmware complied for 37, I don't know?

Maybe it would be as easy (loose-term of course :lol: ) to put the 3.2.8 or 3.2.9 kernel in THD and see what happens... hey, what the heck, THD is an expermint no?

>>>---Indian------>

playdayz

#399 Post by playdayz »

Fluxbox Windowmanager

The fluxbox that was listed here made problems. The fluxbox binary ran even when the fluxbox window manager was not chosen.

This was not the one in PPM, which I will check and report.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#400 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:
firmware up-dates that pemasu complied and put in Exprimo and Racy for wlan0 (wifi) to work in Luci with the rt2800
THD has been working great on my computers, however I agree, pemasu's kernel works great and would make a super addition for THD.

Cheers,
Jim

aarf

#401 Post by aarf »

just been using network wizard. cant see that wifi is auto-connecting at boot to previously save signal. have to load profile and auto dhcp each boot.. connection is occasionally dropping if i type too long.

aarf

#402 Post by aarf »

after many non-connects on open wifi at boot, today it auto connected at boot for the first time.. i didn't change anything at all or do anything different. :?:

Sage

#403 Post by Sage »

001-003:
Having a few issues with HDMI display on my TV, native 1360x768.
The (DOS BIOS) boot screen shows, the Puppy boot screen shows, but the booting commands give 'Mode Unsupported'. Not a problem until trying to change the res. with CRL-ALT-BKSPCE ! Not able to do the xorgwizard/etc. blind. Tried a coupe of cheat codes unsuccessfully - anything else to try? Ta.

playdayz

#404 Post by playdayz »

after many non-connects on open wifi at boot, today it auto connected at boot for the first time.. i didn't change anything at all or do anything different.
My first guess aarf is timing, that is in what order and for what duration the boot script executes. I don't know anything to do, except possibly vary your connections. That is, put the usb cables in different usb ports--that has helped me believe it or not--and maybe even change internal connections to drives, etc--which has also helped. Different connections can vary the timing. But don't do anything you are not comfortable with.
Having a few issues with HDMI display on my TV, native 1360x768
Sage, Have you tried to change resolutions with Menu -> Setup -> Personalize Settings? Or tried with xrandrshell from a prompt? If it doesn't automatically pick the right resolution then you will need to create an xorg.conf with xorgwizard--I assume you have run that from the prompt after exiting X. If it says mode not supported or something then perhaps the driver does not know about the mode you want--is there a proprietary driver? (There are proprietary drivers for ATI and Nvidia.)

Oh I was just reading more carefully. Can you boot with pfix=nox to stop at a prompt and then run xorgwizard?

Sage

#405 Post by Sage »

Menu -> Setup -> Personalize Settings
Yes - didn't do it although settings appeared to have been accepted.
xrandrshell
No - not familiar with that one!
pfix=nox to stop at a prompt
As indicated, cannot get to a visible prompt with HDMI on TV.
All this with kit barely a few months old!
But many thanks for your prompt response, don't get such courtesy very often.

sszindian

HDMI & TV

#406 Post by sszindian »

sage wrote:
The (DOS BIOS) boot screen shows, the Puppy boot screen shows, but the booting commands give 'Mode Unsupported'. Not a problem until trying to change the res. with CRL-ALT-BKSPCE ! Not able to do the xorgwizard/etc. blind. Tried a coupe of cheat codes unsuccessfully - anything else to try? Ta.

I found that get proper video resolution you 'CAN NOT' have the TV plugged in when you start Puppy... 'any Puppy!'

I corrected the problem by loading Puppy 'First' then plugging in the TV, that cured it for me about 90%.

Now, that is using a desktop, if you use a laptop or notebook, there are a few .pet programs, (I believe in utilities, multimedia etc., section, not sure exactly where I saw them it's been awhile) that allow you to setup TWO different resolutions at the same time. Mind you, that's laptop, notebook ONLY.

Hope that helps!

>>>---Indian------>

Sage

#407 Post by Sage »

'CAN NOT' have the TV plugged in when you start Puppy... 'any Puppy!'
Wow! That is an amazing revelation. If correct there's a very serious shortcoming in either the TV, the video card or PC SW, FW & HW. It also conflicts with my observations that when it works - it works, but I wouldn't be here if that was a constant!
Notwithstanding, it's usually possible to use the remote to switch into HDMI from TV/w.h.y. which essentially is the same as not having HDMI ON at boot up.
It will be most interesting to hear what the industry and SW gurus have to say about all this.

Sylvander

#408 Post by Sylvander »

1. Using Luci-001.003.iso
With isolinux.cfg in the ISO file altered to include pmedia=ataflash...
And booted using "live" CD-RW, and lucisave.3fs+SFS filepair held [in a folder in the root folder] on ext3 partition on internal HDD.

PROBLEM
2. Videos at Youtube won't play. :(
(a) Used flash_install-0.1.pet to install the latest flashplayer [version doesn't show in PPM!]

3. I have ghostery installed, and ALL listed elements blocked.
Disabling ghostery, apparently has no beneficial effect.

4. Any idea how to fix?

Terryphi

#409 Post by Terryphi »

Sylvander wrote:1. Using Luci-001.003.iso
With isolinux.cfg in the ISO file altered to include pmedia=ataflash...
And booted using "live" CD-RW, and lucisave.3fs+SFS filepair held [in a folder in the root folder] on ext3 partition on internal HDD.

PROBLEM
2. Videos at Youtube won't play. :(
(a) Used flash_install-0.1.pet to install the latest flashplayer [version doesn't show in PPM!]

3. I have ghostery installed, and ALL listed elements blocked.
Disabling ghostery, apparently has no beneficial effect.

4. Any idea how to fix?
If Flashplayer does not work you can try the pet of version 10.3.183.18 which is security patched and intended for older hardware which will not run the latest version 11.2.202.228. Details in this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77256

AS well as the the download link to my site in the thread, you can also get it from the Ibiblio repository or mirrors because Barry has uploaded it to .../quirky/pet_packages-common/ .
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Sylvander

#410 Post by Sylvander »

@Terryphi
1. It's not a problem with the hardware...Youtube videos play in all 6 of my other Puppies.
However...

(a) I uninstalled "flashplayer" by clicking on it in the PPM.
It remained listed in the PPM. :?
Then clicked the "Save" icon [1st save of the session] to save that uninstall.
Then...
(b) Installed your "flash-player-10.3.183.18.pet"...
It was shown installed beside "flashplayer" in the PPM.
Then clicked the "Save" icon [2nd save of the session] to save that install.
(c) Tried to run a video at Youtube, but still no-go! :(