Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Snail

Duff Post

#346 Post by Snail »

Sorry late at night

backi

#347 Post by backi »

Here is something which looks quite interesting .

Compressing RAM with zRam .
I am not a a Linux expert but maybe someone more skilled can use this idea to make use of it in Puppy or elsewhere .
http://weirdfellow.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... with-zram/

Snail

Lupu News

#348 Post by Snail »

Lupu News is no longer accessible in 529 with the instant_Update-3HD-002.1.pet applied to the original 529 sfs, using Seamonkey. Neither the Menu/Help/Lupu News Help nor the Quickpet news tab gives anything but a blank page in Seamonkey

the file /usr/share/doc/index99.html is not changed. however it no longer displays anything in seamonkey when clicked on in Rox. Totally strange.

What is even odder is that clicking on that file in Rox has totally diffferent behaviour with Firefox and again in Dillo. Dillo still opens the same pages that Seamonkey did in 529 original and also with 529 plus the instant update 001 (erroneously) installed. Firefox opens the Puppy Jumping off page!!! I presume that it id Dillo which is working properly?

Previously, and still with Dillo, this file loaded a local help page with a link to the page diddywadiddy.net/Lupu News/index4.html. Quickpet loaded, and still does in Dillo, the page diddywadiddy.net/Lupu News. (That page is however concerned with 528, not 529.)

aarf

#349 Post by aarf »

luci003 default wallpaper lasted less than a minute from first boot :lol:
still see luci as the most polished puppy in the current kennels.
will see if the infrequent random crashing is still around in the current incarnation..

playdayz

#350 Post by playdayz »

Lupu News is no longer accessible in 529 with the instant_Update-3HD-002.1.
Snail, Menu/Help/Lupu News Help should open file:///usr/share/doc/index99.html

Quickpet.News. should open http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/ (Yes, the LupuNews is really for 5.2.8--I don't have one for 3HD.)

I suggest uninstalling Seamonkey and installing this new one for Lucid ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Also, I recommend using this pet for Firefox http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firef ... -Lucid.pet

They are both on page 65 of this thread. Let's see if that fixes the problem.
luci003 default wallpaper lasted less than a minute from first boot
I understand that aarf. That is by far the most "complicated" wallpaper Lucid has ever used. I knew it would not work for everyone. I almost used the 3-Headed Puppies that bigpup found http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 563#594563 Generally a wallpaper should be "uncomplicated" I think, but as an artist this one appealed to me and I thought all of the complications worked together into a striking background.
infrequent random crashing
Please try to note the programs that are running when a crash occurs. With the programs that I use I do not have a problem with either 3HD or Lucid 5.2.8 crashing. Thanks.

Snail

Lupu News

#351 Post by Snail »

Thanks playdayz,

Installing the latest pet of Seamonkey fixed the problem in Seamonkey. I already had the latest pet of Firefox installed. Nevertheless, the problem in Firefox was fixed after I uninstalled Firefox and re-downloaded the same Firefox pet and installed it. So it's all good now but what the??? How did the problem occur and what has happened to fix it? I guess we'll never know.

I wonder if it would be possible to have the browsers as sfs files. I keep Firefox installed to handle the very occassional problem with rendering on some sites but use it very rarely. It seems that it would be more sensible to have alternative browsers as sfs's rather than enlarging the savefile?

playdayz

#352 Post by playdayz »

Installing the latest pet of Seamonkey fixed the problem in Seamonkey. I already had the latest pet of Firefox installed. Nevertheless, the problem in Firefox was fixed after I uninstalled Firefox and re-downloaded the same Firefox pet and installed it. So it's all good now but what the??? How did the problem occur
Snail, There are some supporting files such as /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and a couple of others that probably got funny from installing the different browsers and updates. I hope these latest browser pets don't have any problems.. Thanks.

Snail

Recording sound

#353 Post by Snail »

I've never run the Bacon Recorder before. I cannot make it work. This is probably a bug in my head rather than one in 3HD but I can't seem to figure it out.

I am using this usb webcam as both camera and mic:

Code: Select all

From cat/proc output:
P:  Vendor=0c45 ProdID=62e0 Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.
S:  Product=USB 2.0 Camera 
I am running 3HD original with the ver 3 upgade pet.

I have the Skype 2.1.0.81 sfs loading at boot.

With Skype, both video and audio work perfectly. However, no matter what I do, fiddling blindly with Retrovol mostly, the Bacon Recorder produces a sound file with no sound in it. Opening the file in mhWaveedit shows a flat line.

The blind fiddling in Retrovol is because, to me at least, it is not at all clear what all to different mic lines references mean.

Hardinfo shows that the camera is seen. However, neither the ALSA Sound Wizard nor the Multiple Sound Card Wizard sees the camera. I read somewhere that usb cameras are effectively digital sound cards and the usb device should automatically take over as the main mic?

Help! Please.

playdayz

#354 Post by playdayz »

Bacon Recorder
I thought the Bacon Recorder was audio only. Yes, it seems to be. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 94&t=69237

Snail

Bacon Recorder

#355 Post by Snail »

I am sorry if I didn't make it clear. I am not expecting to get video on the Bacon recorder. However, the webcam is also a mic, the only one I have. Surely I should be able to use it to record sound? Sound is going into Puppy from it, the successful use of Skype is proof of that, so why can't I record that sound?

playdayz

#356 Post by playdayz »

the webcam is also a mic, the only one I have. Surely I should be able to use it to record sound?
That makes sense to me. Please check with don570 for support with Bacon Recorder. Have you tried mhWaveEdit to Record? That's Play -> Record from the menu.

I am just speculating, but I wonder if the usb camera might produce a multiplexed AV signal with audio and video mixed, rather than a mic input signal. If so, you might be able to record the AV signal and then extract the audio from that--a lot of hassle and you would need to install a video editor. If you need to mic input audio I think there are some very inexpensive mics, I have a headset with mic I got for about $9.99..

Snail

Webcam sound

#357 Post by Snail »

Thanks playdayz

I'll contact Don. I don't really need this, I'm just trying to be a helpful tester :)

Trying to record using mhWaveEdit and arecord both produce the same blank files as Bacon recorder. However, Puppy knows about the camera and knows that it is a sound capture device. Hardinfo, Puppy SysInfo and arecord are all in agreement on that (Although this may all amount to the same code underneath).

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC260 Analog [ALC260 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Camera [USB 2.0 Camera], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
However, ALSA Wizard and the Multiple Sound Card Wizard do not appear to discover the existence of card1 (the camera card). It seems that there is a disconnect halfway down the chain.

mill0001

#358 Post by mill0001 »

@01micko, Hey mick I went to the link you provided to download the kernel sources but there is just a blank page. ?????? Help!

playdayz

#359 Post by playdayz »

Puppy knows about the camera and knows that it is a sound capture device.
Snail, Yes. I see what you mean. I have a usb camera. I will try it. rerwin will be interested in this possibly. Have you tried using alsamixer? Start it and click F6 and see if the usb camera/sound is in the list and if so if you can configure it as the record device.
kernel sources
mill0001, If you want kernel sources for Lucid, go to the first message of this thread. If you want them for Slacko 5.3.3 3.2.1 kernel, go http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75209
And for original Slacko kernel 2.6.47.6 go http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72805

mill0001

#360 Post by mill0001 »

@playdayz: Thanks for the reply, but what I'm saying is the link to the kernel sources in the first message of this thread shows me nothing but a blank page. So is the link bad or is it something wrong with my Firefox browser?

James C

#361 Post by James C »

mill0001 wrote:@playdayz: Thanks for the reply, but what I'm saying is the link to the kernel sources in the first message of this thread shows me nothing but a blank page. So is the link bad or is it something wrong with my Firefox browser?
Try http://puppylinux-online.net/index.php? ... atched.sfs

mill0001

#362 Post by mill0001 »

Thanks, Got it.

Snail

USB Webcam Sound Recording

#363 Post by Snail »

Hi Playdayz,

I also checked in an oldish Wary, 512, and it doesn't work there either.

Back to 3HD V3, as you suggested I opened Alsamixer. It opens with the built in Intel sound card active. F6 allows me to select the Webcam but it comes up with the message "This sound device does not have any playback controls." Hitting either F4 Capture or F5 All at that point takes me to this panel. Maximising the gain using this panel and leaving this panel open makes no difference, I still get flat-line recordings. Closing Alsamixer and reopening it shows that it has reverted to the Intel card.

Hope that this is some use in diagnosis.

I have PMed don570 and will wait and see what he has to say. Did your webcam work for recording?
Attachments
image-3.png
(17.74 KiB) Downloaded 1348 times

don570

#364 Post by don570 »

I have no experience with USB mikes.

However I know that in the Windows and Mac world that
special drivers need to be installed to make them work
but in the Linux World the ALSA API has the drivers built-in.

I do know that Audacity connects to the sound chip in your
computer differently than any other applications
and this is why it is successful in recording when other apps
will record. Audacity has a preference option to
select the input source. If you can't get that to record your
usb audio, then you're probably out of luck.

I always fiddle with the retrovol settings but I have only
a standard line-in not usb audio.

By the way I will have a new version of bacon recorder
early next week. :lol:

mill0001

#365 Post by mill0001 »

I'm trying to compile a sensor chip driver for my Asrock 890fx Deluxe4 AMD motherboard and I got kernel sources downloaded but now it's telling me I need the linux-headers-2.6.37.6, where do I get this animal? Heres the output in terminal when I try to compile the driver:

sh-4.1# make
make: *** /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.37.6: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [modules] Error 2
sh-4.1#
I'm a complete noob at compiling stuff, HELP!