Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
playdayz

#31 Post by playdayz »

The issues now are:-
specific hardware,
software interaction
erroneous bugs

Specific hardware: Is say, when video card A works for everyone but video card B does not.
Video card B has issues with the hardware or kernel version.
(Only another person with same card can help really)

Software interaction: When an app works fine but install another app afterwards or before, it then spoils the original app operation.
(Sometimes hard to replicate)

Erroneous bug: Quick bug report, generally withdrawn quickly when a mistake is found by user.
Yes. Very well said tasmod. During the last week or two of the process, the "erroneous" bugs might constitute 50% of the total reported. Everyone is a bit on edge then I think and any anomaly is automatically assumed to be a bug. The anarchy of the thread worked OK for me--we did 6 good releases after all--I have just hit a point where I am as Lobbie said "burned out." I can play ;-) but the task of trying to fix bugs and then rebuilding only to face more bugs had to end. Of course, if people see a bug they have to report it.

bigpup

#32 Post by bigpup »

Béèm wrote:For me the most efficient way is still a bug reporting/follow-up system like bugzilla.

And I know this has been raised before and the general reaction was that anarchy is a better way.

Just my 2 ¢
There is already a Bugzilla type reporting/follow-up sytem in place for Puppy.
Just seems no developer wants to use it.
Here it is:
http://code.google.com/p/puppy-development/issues/list
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

aarf

#33 Post by aarf »

bigpup wrote:
Béèm wrote:For me the most efficient way is still a bug reporting/follow-up system like bugzilla.

And I know this has been raised before and the general reaction was that anarchy is a better way.

Just my 2 ¢
There is already a Bugzilla type reporting/follow-up sytem in place for Puppy.
Just seems no developer wants to use it.
Here it is:
http://code.google.com/p/puppy-development/issues/list
the objection was more to google and third party, than to the bugtracker

gortonc

#34 Post by gortonc »

Would love to try this puppy out but am hesitant to start a download without an MD5 given my lousy connection. Any chance of posting one with the download link on the front page? (Or any where else for that matter ;-)

Thanks!

James C

#35 Post by James C »

gortonc wrote:Would love to try this puppy out but am hesitant to start a download without an MD5 given my lousy connection. Any chance of posting one with the download link on the front page? (Or any where else for that matter ;-)

Thanks!
Right there in the first post.

357db4be5fbb14fc8d3b4b55a20c5fc6 luci-529.iso

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#36 Post by Lobster »

I can play
8)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away . . .
[oops - no that is the intro to star wars . . .] :wink:

Not so long ago . . . when I first started to seriously try and use Linux I was running Knoppix and Windows XP (most people were not yet trusting XP) and I was on the Knoppix Linux forum (feeling stupid and computer illiterate) I also used to lurk on the Puppy 'Simpleforum' and listen to Barry and the early Puppy users sorting out the early adopter problems. Puppy was my Linux education. :)
Most of the Linux distros I tried . . . and I tried probably 50-100, all seemed only superficially different. A different arrangement of kernel and software. Anyway before I ramble on into some ewok forest party, suffice to say Puppy is more fun and that is only one of the differences . . . 8)

Barry is still doing fun woof stuff, developers, testers, program writers, users and advisers to our youngest Pups, the whole kennel is a lot of fun.

Some of us are living amongst all kinds of personal and global events.
Puppy runs our computers. Good dog. :)

In some sort of play daze a Lucid to release will arrive over the next week or two - or we will move straight to Slacko or . . . [who knows]
Too anarchic?
Too much fun?

Lucid Finlandia
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/puppy526

Puppy 5.3
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy53

Kennel
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Community

Have fun guys. 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#37 Post by nooby »

playdayz a big warm friendly hug from me. I am no Dev but I almost know how it feels. I try to make a "mobility aid bike" kind of vehicle and have struggled with it for at least three years and "bugs" hit me every time I fix one of them and my slogan is that developing should be fun.

So nobody should blame you for having to recharge the batteries so do what feels best. Great thanks for all the exciting things that already have been accomplished.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#38 Post by Béèm »

Thanks Lobster for reminding those links.
BTW 2HD being Finlandia, how is 3HD called then? :roll:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

playdayz

#39 Post by playdayz »

Does anyone know? Is there a module or sensor or something missing in Lucid? I have never been able to get temp readings with my Phenoms either. Hardinfo -> Sensors gives me nothing at all.
Attachments
image-1.png
(17.76 KiB) Downloaded 1860 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#40 Post by Béèm »

I saw the same in Exprimo and raised the issue.
Pemasu replied that libsensors4 is needed.
He will include it in a next release.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

Béèm wrote:I saw the same in Exprimo and raised the issue.
Pemasu replied that libsensors4 is needed.
He will include it in a next release.
CPUtemp has libsensors4. As a test, install it and see what Hardinfo reports.

gortonc

#42 Post by gortonc »

Duh!!! Thanks James C! I don't know how I missed the MD5 sitting in plain sight.

Grace & peace - Chris

Oh, and for what it is worth, Playdayz - my IBM T43 shows the cpu temp, but still gives the "CPU Fan no fans?" in the widget. If I go to the hardware monitor it does show the fan speed however?!

gcmartin

Better Way

#43 Post by gcmartin »

This probably should NOT be covered here. But, this thread seems to have 2 simultaneous topics being addressed.Community might be better served, if one of these topics were moved to a separate thread for understanding and addressing. But, that is a call for the OP, not me.
Béèm wrote: ... efficient way is still a bug reporting/follow-up system like bugzilla. ...
Also for the project leader/main developer work will be easier.
I still don't understand how a person can cope with those long forum threads....
I think there is merit to this offer,

Puppy is maturing and sometimes has some interesting complexity that often times has to be repeated over and over.

What is the chance that Playdayz, 01Micko, Pemasu, TaZOC, and Stu90 would work with a structure that Béèm is willing to layout. Could this be a pilot for managing ALL Puppy development is a much better structured manner?

This team would provide 32bit, PAE, and 64bit simultaneous, yet provide easy to observe opportunity for feedback. Also, the developers would see any drawbacks/improvements derived from a pilot. like this.

Benefits appear to be qualitative, and effecient.

Hope this helps

aarf

#44 Post by aarf »

cputemp v1.3
Attachments
image-5.jpg
(19.15 KiB) Downloaded 3204 times

peebee

#45 Post by peebee »

Hi Playdayz

I have no battery indicator on my HP550 laptop on this pup.

/var/log/messages shows this error message when /Startup/powerapplet_tray is executed:

Code: Select all

Aug 14 21:08:15 puppypc user.notice powerapplet: Abort, no /proc/apm or acpi/info
I've tested Frisbee and pnethood so far and both are fine.

Cheers
PeeBee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#46 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. I would not call that error message. It is information that you dont have ac_adapter, battery or lid in your comp. So it is normal report of normal behavior.

peebee

#47 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Peebee. I would not call that error message. It is information that you dont have ac_adapter, battery or lid in your comp. So it is normal report of normal behavior.
hi pemasu
but I do have both battery and ac-adapter and the indicator is there in luci528 but not in 529 with the new kernel....
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

aarf

#48 Post by aarf »

at first test i think startmount was broke by adding the cputemp v1.3.pet as well.

Code: Select all

** (roxterm:17053): WARNING **: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
/usr/local/Startmount/Startmount: line 110: kill: (21279) - No such process
sh: line 5: echo: write error: Broken pipe

ok

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 62, near token '</default>': syntax error

aborting...
/usr/local/Startmount/Startmount: line 430: 21482 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 -p STARTMOUNT -c
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(8.13 KiB) Downloaded 1648 times

pemasu

#49 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. Okay then it is probably due to the newer kernel. I had that non working situations at the beginning of Ice Puppy 2.6.38.4 kernel project. Powerapplet_tray didnt work. I think it is due to changed way to store the information in linux folder structure by kernel.

CPUTemp pet as posted above, Gatotray, Xsensors and improved conky with separate cpu temp script worked for temp, Vattery (there is pet by Jemimah) worked for battery status, I have abandoned Powerapplet_tray until someone fixes it for newer kernels. Also Conky (1.81 version), and for example e17 wm battery gadget works straight for battery status.

peebee

#50 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Peebee. Okay then it is probably due to the newer kernel. I had that non working situations at the beginning of Ice Puppy 2.6.38.4 kernel project. Powerapplet_tray didnt work. I think it is due to changed way to store the information in linux folder structure by kernel.
Hi Pemasu

I think you are correct - there was also a problem with Vattery as used by your dpup Exprimo if you recall see:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 840cfd846c

but that can be cured by a simple edit as 1vattery is a script.

Cheers
peebee