Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
01micko

#271 Post by 01micko »

Ok, thanks tempestuous.. noted
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#272 Post by pemasu »

Noticed. Seems to be quite large firmware.

tempestuous

#273 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, that's typical of Intel.
It's a similar story with the (now defunct) Intel analog modem firmware - just ask Barry and rerwin.

tempestuous

#274 Post by tempestuous »

Oops, I missed including the firmware for the iwl3945 driver.
Dotpet and tarball just updated. Please download again.

pemasu

#275 Post by pemasu »

Redownloaded and it in woof now.

aarf

#276 Post by aarf »

Sage wrote:
Finding the exact replacement plug is the other problem
Cpc.co.uk and a bunch of traders on eBay/Amazon. Get yourself one of those miniature gas-powered irons whilst your at it!
came across a gas thing with chinese writing on the packet. The man said yes its a solder. Looks like good things to have could always be used for fighting off darth vaders at a pinch too. So i says can you take it on the plane? The man balks, asks the backup, meanwhile i've departed the premises. Got a replacement plug today too. Ready for expected deterioration. Have been favouring my phone over my puppy.

playdayz

#277 Post by playdayz »

These are all the same as for Lucid 5.2.8--they will work in either 3HD or 528.

Firefox 7.0

Here's Firefox 7.0 for Lucid and 3HD.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid525.pet

------------------------------------------------------------------
Flashplayer 10.3.183.10

There is a new Flashplayer. Three-Headed Dog Version 2 Take 2 has a program GetFlash under Internet. Flashplayer is coming so often now that it doesn't hurt to run that every week or so to stay current--running it does not use any extra memory--the new Flashplayer replaces the old one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opera 11.51

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Seamonkey 2.4

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid525.pet

Google Chrome 14

TOR-Browser 2.2.32-4
Surf Anonymously - Now with Firefox 6.0.2

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... ucid52.pet

James C

#278 Post by James C »

My next unfinished project........ :lol:
Attachments
Lucid Trinity.png
(151.59 KiB) Downloaded 1600 times

MoebusNet

#279 Post by MoebusNet »

I don't know who to thank, so I'll just put it out there: Thank you!!

A while ago I asked about the ENE card reader working with this Pup. I went off and played with other pups for awhile, traveled a little then downloaded 3HDv2t2. I was pleasantly amazed that when I plugged an SD card into my card reader it just worked! No drama, no fanfare, no pet required - it worked!!!

Since the v2t2 has been up since 16 Sep, it is just amazing to me that the response to my question has been so fast. I just didn't know it.

I'm just tickled to death. All I can say is, again, thank you!!!

BTW, on my plain-jane 3hdv2t2 manual-frugal USB flash drive install with nothing but Seamonkey added - all is working well so far.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

MoebusNet

xorg-high

#280 Post by MoebusNet »

Xorg_High will still work for everything but Nvidia cards--but even that would be worth testing.
Unfortunately, I can't get Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid to install from Puppy Package Manager or from the link in the first post. It will download, but when it tries to install it locks up Puppy Package Manager.

If I try to install from the pet package after downloading it, it never completes the install. In either case, the only way to shut down the computer is to hold the power button down for ~5 seconds; it doesn't create a save file.

Something I noticed that may be related is that when I installed Seamonkey 2.4 from Quickpet then rebooted, Seamonkey is installed & works (using now) but does not show as installed in Puppy Package manager.

Xorg_High would not install in a clean manual-frugal USB flash drive install (without Seamonkey).

Let me know what information I can provide.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

tasmod

#281 Post by tasmod »

I've replaced the XFprot on page 14 of this thread with the fixed icons version.

EDIT: Now removed to Additional Software / Security section of forum.
Last edited by tasmod on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

playdayz

#282 Post by playdayz »

Unfortunately, I can't get Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid to install from Puppy Package Manager or from the link in the first post. It will download, but when it tries to install it locks up Puppy Package Manager.
Oh, that is strange. I just tried it and Xorg_High-1.1 did install for me. One thing could be that it needs a certain amount of free space in the savefile in order to unpack and install successfully--at least 50MB I would say--80 or so to be safe.

Here is a direct link just in case you got a bad download.
Here is its md5 checksum.
4ac9d31fa40ee79245d8b27c9e5a4647
Download it, start Menu -> Utility -> GtkHash, and drag it into the File blank, and click Hash. You should get the same number.

Could you burn a CD and boot that and then see if this Xorg_High will install? When the CD start, please enter 'puppy pfix=ram' to insure a fresh boot.

When it installs, Xorg_High pops up a pink dialogue box, asking you to Restart the X-Server, do you see that?

The problem should not be a conflict with your computer's video, because Xorg_High does not do anythign with the video until you Restart the X-server.

tasmod

#283 Post by tasmod »

Added f-prot version 6.5.1 to the thread on page 14.

The notes explain why.

EDIT: Now removed to Additional Software / Security section of forum.
Last edited by tasmod on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

MoebusNet

#284 Post by MoebusNet »

playdayz wrote:
Oh, that is strange. I just tried it and Xorg_High-1.1 did install for me. One thing could be that it needs a certain amount of free space in the savefile in order to unpack and install successfully--at least 50MB I would say--80 or so to be safe.

Here is a direct link just in case you got a bad download.
Here is its md5 checksum.
4ac9d31fa40ee79245d8b27c9e5a4647
Download it, start Menu -> Utility -> GtkHash, and drag it into the File blank, and click Hash. You should get the same number.

Could you burn a CD and boot that and then see if this Xorg_High will install? When the CD start, please enter 'puppy pfix=ram' to insure a fresh boot.

When it installs, Xorg_High pops up a pink dialogue box, asking you to Restart the X-Server, do you see that?

The problem should not be a conflict with your computer's video, because Xorg_High does not do anythign with the video until you Restart the X-server.
playdayz - I think I know what happened; I'll have to confirm. My earlier xorg_high install attempts occurred after I had updated Quickpet and/or Puppy Package Manager. If any dependancies changed, that may explain the stalled xorg_high install attempts.

This time I d/led xorg_high from your link, confirmed the md5sum and clicked to install the pet. It didn't install (hung again), so I used the power button to shut down, deleted my lucidsave file and booted pfix=ram. This time the xorg_high pet installed (before I did anything else), then I created a save file. xorg_high runs & shows up in Puppy Package Manager.

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: OK, I believe I've tracked it down. When I updated Puppy Package Manager and/or Quickpet, if I tried to install Seamonkey or Xorg_High with PPM it would not allow me to install either one from a pet later. I thought the update would make the packages current; I was mistaken. Installing from a pet will work lucisave or not, as long as you don't try PPM first.

MoebusNet

guvcview

#285 Post by MoebusNet »

You may already be aware of it, but guvcview which worked well in 3hdv1 isn't working in v2t2. It shows up in Menu>Multimedia, but doesn't start-up. In console, guvcview returns message about libavcodec.so.52 not found. Not showing as installed in PPM. Installing guvcview-1.4.5.pet returns successful install message, but no change.

I didn't see anyone else mention it, just thought it's possible no-one else noticed yet.

Looking forward to Lucid 5.29!

playdayz

#286 Post by playdayz »

guvcview returns message about libavcodec.so.52 not found.
I know what that is. I can get it in an update. Maybe I can find one sooner. Thanks.

MoebusNet, Try this.

live

#287 Post by live »

Three-Headed Dog Version 2 Take 2 - SEP 16 2011
I personally recommend a fresh install, and then copying one's data over to Three-Headed Dog.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci-529.iso
357db4be5fbb14fc8d3b4b55a20c5fc6 luci-529.iso
Humm, I've a download of 30-08-11 with same MD5 hash ...

playdayz

#288 Post by playdayz »

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci-529.iso
357db4be5fbb14fc8d3b4b55a20c5fc6 luci-529.iso

Humm, I've a download of 30-08-11 with same MD5 hash ..
live, That link is the original 3HD, not the current Version 2 Take 2. I should remove it because people should use the new one. I am sorry, what is 30-08-11--I just got up and I'm groggy ;-) Whatever it is, it shouldn't have the same md5sum.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#289 Post by aarf »

still getting the occasional crash back to the need for xwin to start again, and one crash where xwin wouldn't start it and then reboot fixed it. say about 5 crashes now whereas lupu before three headed dog wouldn't crash at all. cant reproduce the crashes they just come out of the blue. 5 crashes in many hours of use.

playdayz

#290 Post by playdayz »

still getting the occasional crash
aarf, Some versions of Pburn would crash X. I guess you would have noticed if it was any particular program causing them. This is an interesting situation. For some people Lupu 528 works well, for other people 3HD V2T2 works better. That was unintentional but something we have tried to do in all Lupu's is to have a "redundant strategy," that is, if one thing doesn't work, then we have a backup option. Just for instance, if booting to the desktop and auto config of X doesn't work, then we have xorgwizard.